Author Topic: has anyone ever sold cigarettes in london ?  (Read 3259 times)

Offline ash

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
has anyone ever sold cigarettes in london ?
« on: August 03, 2008, 05:18:44 AM »
want to share some info ?

Offline mancunian

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: has anyone ever sold cigarettes in london ?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 06:44:41 AM »
ok here we go...

I was learning the past 2 years in manchester, we brought cigarettes every trip. I know mostly about manchester but i heard theres people who will buy in london also (maybe more people), and ill look into it a little for you later.

First of all: england is one country in which, for whatever reason, stores dont do as much tax reporting apparently. Meaning that in england you can sell your cigarettes to stores, not just to bochurim in 1414, whereas when i tried to do that in france i was told that its impossible to find a store b/c of tax reporting (we also used to sell phones to stores, they'll take anything overthere ;))

Now, as you probably know, cigarettes in england go for about twice the price - heres how it works:
In stores they go for over $100 a carton (50 pounds), and you can get max 25 pounds ($50) each for your stuff (which isnt bad). In duty free you'll pay (depending on the terminal (i think)) about $30, which is a little more than half. Now you also (probably) wont be getting 25 pounds, we used to get that either by selling one by one, which isnt too easy, or on certain brands. So your goal is to buy between 10 - 12 pounds ($20-$24) and sell for 20-24 pounds, so u make double.

For marlboro they'll give about 22, no more than 23.50 pounds, and it goes for $120/five cartons in duty free, which is $24 a carton, and you make $20 a carton, not bad. With marlboro you can never go wrong, they'll always take them. Even though your making less its safer, I have a friend who made a cigarette trip w/ marlboro and b&h (which sells highest) and made more off the marlboro. Anyway, heres what to bring:

You basically call up the duty free in your terminal and find out the prices before you go so u can plan out your trip. I know in the ba terminal of jfk they have a different sale each month, one brand or so is on sale for $20, i think thats the standard (and marlboro is always on sale). ask about l&b, silk cut and super king. the number to the ba terminal d/f is 718 425 5628

If your bringing marlboro just get lights or reds, i dont think it makes a difference
b&h is one of the best and is always in demand, but they only like b&h from england (i think) so if u leave england and come back u can take it w/ u both ways (and its basicly the only one that goes on sale in the uk duty free) I once brought 30 cartons of american b&h, and noone wanted them, in the end i got 18 pounds a piece, wasnt too bad.
l&b im not sure exactly which kind to get (if theres more than one), silk cut get purple or silver, super king get black, these should all sell for 24/25, your probably better off w/ the l&b or silk cut than the super king.
So thats your best option, if one of those is on sale youll make close to $30 a carton.

Now, while theres very lax customs in the uk, and europe in general, people do get caught, and they know bochurim (that doesnt mean they search every black hat...) dont know if you already have have a flight or not, but we used to take the ba direct flight to manchester from jfk, it comes in at 6 am and theres never customs (there was one report of a bochur being searched, i never verified it but noone ever had issues). we took this flight w/ our duffle bags loaded and walked right through. i heard of poilishers walking through with their duty free bags. but people have been caught, sat in jail (only snags) and paid fines (never on this flight) so be careful - theres a lot of scary stories, but as long as its in reasonable limits all youll get is a fine, i know in america its only a crime if you bring over 250 cartons. (one tip, i had a friend who brought a lot and got stopped, he had a carton and four packs in another bag, they asked him how many cigarrettes do you have, he said um...i think... 300 and opened the bag w/ 280 and they told him hes allowed 200 and they let him go...)

We used to go to kingston bargain before the flight and pick up a duffle bag for $5 which will hold 30-40 cartons (they have 2 sizes, use your judgment (or just tell them i want the 36 carton one!). so you take your duffle bag, folded nicely in half, and put it into a shopping bag. then you go through security w/ yur shopping bag and go straight to duty free, find the one you like, give them your bag and tell them load it up! Theyll put the duty free tag onto your duffle bag and youll find it in the jet way. Itll be hard to get into the overhead, if your lucky theyll check it for you. At the ba duty free in jfk theres an old lady who knows bochurim, shell find you...

Now since u can only take up to 40 in your carry on try to find some before for cheap and put them in your check in...

Once you get there and make it through customs you need to know where to sell them... you can always just stop by yeshiva, but they might take a commission, i have 2 #s of people we used to sell to (not stores but theyll buy everything) - theyre both in manchester, ones a yid, he might tell you where to leave them in london for him and get you the money, message me and ill give u them (if u call before u go they'll tell u which kinds they want), or u can just pop into any corner store and tell the youve got a lot of stuff 4 them, but they might just call the cops on u...

anyway, i hope this helps, have a safe trip!

Offline ash

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 10:41:56 AM »
i am leaving tonight with a stop over in london by the way i also learnt for a little in manchestar
but it was a long ago thats why i asked about London 

did you ever deal with elliot ?

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 12:18:54 PM »
why am i wondering about the wisdom of this post?