Author Topic: Czar Cuomo  (Read 158624 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Czar Cuomo
« Reply #920 on: February 14, 2021, 09:40:24 PM »
You do know that CNN has two reporters (Oliver Darcy and Brian Stelter) who's entire beat is criticism of Fox?
I had no idea. I don’t normally care what CNN does, it’s as relevant to me as the political opinions of why neighbor.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: February 14, 2021, 09:46:34 PM »
I had no idea. I don’t normally care what CNN does, it’s as relevant to me as the political opinions of why neighbor.

But you do care about what Fox does?

Do you realize that your political views are based on the information you take in?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #922 on: February 14, 2021, 09:55:10 PM »
But you do care about what Fox does?
I don’t care in the sense that I’m offended by it and think they should stop; it interests me because it explains why so many Republicans vote against their interests - for example very poor rural communities who would benefit greatly from larger tax refunds than they’re already getting and more free healthcare, but instead they’re provoked into feeling anger at the other side and voting based on whose message they identify with instead of who will bring about a superior outcome.

I don’t see how CNN plays a central role in making people vote Dem, there is less emotion involved. Anybody who is watching CNN can just as easily watch Fox if they prefer that viewpoint, there is no captive audience.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: February 14, 2021, 09:57:20 PM »
I think there is a very big difference.
Sorry I won’t get sucked into this debate but you’re just as guilty as everyone else. Wear it with pride instead of trying to deny it.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #924 on: February 14, 2021, 10:03:44 PM »
Sorry I won’t get sucked into this debate but you’re just as guilty as everyone else. Wear it with pride instead of trying to deny it.
That’s utter nonsense, you see me here oftentimes saying most of the Republicans are OK, they just shouldn’t support the fringes.

The Republicans here are saying most Democrats are evil and the fringes control them.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #925 on: February 14, 2021, 10:07:24 PM »
This whole conversation started from you posting an opinion piece published after months and months of the media not only covering, but fawning over Cuomo. The fact that you can't tell the difference between an op-ed and news, shows you can't possibly be taken seriously in contrasting Fox News, a right wing station, to CNN and network channels, which are supposed to be neutral.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #926 on: February 14, 2021, 10:14:24 PM »
The fact that you can't tell the difference between an op-ed and news
LOL. What exactly is the difference that you think I can't tell?

Fox News, a right wing station, to CNN and network channels, which are supposed to be neutral.

Huh? Fox is just as much a network channel as CNN, any expectation of neutrality would apply equally to both of them.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #927 on: February 14, 2021, 10:22:02 PM »
LOL. What exactly is the difference that you think I can't tell?

Do you think the process is the same for what goes on the front page as the OP Ed pages? You made a snarky comment about liberal media bias and quoted an opinion piece, not a news piece that takes him to task.

BTW, those news pieces now exist, it just took a year to get them written

Huh? Fox is just as much a network channel as CNN, any expectation of neutrality would apply equally to both of them.

Fox is right wing by the personalities they air. Same as msnbc is left. Anderson Cooper, Jake tapper, et al all claim to be neutral

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #928 on: February 14, 2021, 10:28:32 PM »
Do you think the process is the same for what goes on the front page as the OP Ed pages? You made a snarky comment about liberal media bias and quoted an opinion piece, not a news piece that takes him to task.
An op-ed is the platform for opinions, and printing an anti-Cuomo option is evidence of accepting an anti-Cuomo stance. News pages shouldn't be taking anybody to task, they should be reporting facts. You're the one who is misunderstanding what the news pages are supposed to do.

Fox is right wing by the personalities they air. Same as msnbc is left. Anderson Cooper, Jake tapper, et al all claim to be neutral
So basically your whole contraption about a difference between 'a right wing station' vs 'network channel' is just that a few anchors openly disclose their political affiliation and a few don't?

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #929 on: February 14, 2021, 10:41:14 PM »
An op-ed is the platform for opinions, and printing an anti-Cuomo option is evidence of accepting an anti-Cuomo stance. News pages shouldn't be taking anybody to task, they should be reporting facts. You're the one who is misunderstanding what the news pages are supposed to do.
So basically your whole contraption about a difference between 'a right wing station' vs 'network channel' is just that a few anchors openly disclose their political affiliation and a few don't?

Cuomo's behavior was worth being dealt with in the news pages, far more than Kemp or De Santis. But they were regularly trashed, when he was celebrated.

Network TV is supposed to be neutral. Cable can do whatever they want. Fox and MSNbc chose sides, and it is stated by their founders. CNN purports to be neutral, and they even have a media watch team to keep the media's biases in check. Except they only ever find fault with one side

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #930 on: February 14, 2021, 10:52:20 PM »
You're conflating two different things, so let's separate them please.

1)
Network TV is supposed to be neutral. Cable can do whatever they want.

CNN & FOX are both the exact same 'cable network TV' and if one is 'supposed to be neutral', so is the other. There is zero distinction between them, I don't know why you keep on implying there is.

2)
Fox and MSNbc chose sides, and it is stated by their founders. CNN purports to be neutral
What you seem to be saying here is that Fox is honestly partisan whereas CNN is falsely masquerading as neutral. I have no argument with that, I'm happy to admit CNN is perhaps morally inferior to Fox and is more misleading.

My point is Fox playing more of a role in shaping Republican voters behavior by provoking an emotional anger at the other side and identifying us vs them. This is done by saying all democrats are bad. I could be wrong, but I don't believe CNN plays that much of a role in shaping democrat voter behavior; they never try to portray all Republicans as bad. The fact that they're reporting biased news isn't making voters vote one way or another, anybody watching CNN knows they are getting a more liberal view and anybody who wants to see the right wing perspective simply changes to Fox.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #931 on: February 14, 2021, 11:08:07 PM »
You're conflating two different things, so let's separate them please.

I was not getting into your drashos. I was showing your foundation in this discussion was faulty.

Yes, CNN is the same as FOX News cable, but they purport to be neutral. That's a world of difference!

Are you frieking kidding about painting all republicans as bad? Network TV did it! They didn't need the cable shows to do it. Did 2008, 2012 not happen in your eyes?

Mitt Romney and John McCain were famously ripped to shreds, with Romney even falsely getting fact checked by a debate moderator! This is absurd. The Obama bros famously laughed about how easily they manipulated the media.

Media bias is in painting right wingers as racist Neanderthals is how we got Trump.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #932 on: February 14, 2021, 11:14:22 PM »
Yes, CNN is the same as FOX News cable, but they purport to be neutral. That's a world of difference!

Except nobody was talking about which one of them is morally superior, the discussion was about which one has more impact on shaping opinions, yet you kept on posting nonsense about an imaginary difference between a 'network channel' and a 'news station'.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: February 14, 2021, 11:15:48 PM »
how is this thread still in the Covid board

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #934 on: February 14, 2021, 11:22:02 PM »
+1

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: February 14, 2021, 11:22:26 PM »
Time for a PG Master Thread

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #936 on: February 14, 2021, 11:26:45 PM »
Except nobody was talking about which one of them is morally superior, the discussion was about which one has more impact on shaping opinions, yet you kept on posting nonsense about an imaginary difference between a 'network channel' and a 'news station'.

No. It's started with your ridiculous assertion that the Washington post printing a single OP Ed by a conservative writer is a sign that the talk of liberal bias in mainstream media is clearly not true.

I'm showing that your understanding of the different roles of media is so clearly off base so as to have no footing in reality.

Your whole thesis that a fox's bias shapes republican policy is also based on this fiction precisely because liberal bias is so entrenched and baked into "news media".

Back to the topic of this thread, NY by any objective metric  handled covid as bad as any other state, or even country. Yet Cuomo had a higher than 80% approval rating through much of the summer. This is because the mainstream media has an insane liberal bias and shapes the opinions of their viewers - even the right wing ones.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #937 on: February 14, 2021, 11:29:52 PM »
Members of Cuomo's covid team now hold leading roles in Biden's team. This is in large part because of the image Cuomo has of being the best governer because CNN had him joking around with his brother instead of asking him why he sent thousands of seniors to die instead of using the tens of thousands of hospital beds that lay empty.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #938 on: February 14, 2021, 11:30:53 PM »
No. It's started with your ridiculous assertion that the Washington post printing a single OP Ed by a conservative writer is a sign that the talk of liberal bias in mainstream media is clearly not true.

But I never asserted that, you simply fabricated that out of thin air.

I'm showing that your understanding of the different roles of media is so clearly off base so as to have no footing in reality.

Says the guy who kept on posting nonsense about an imaginary difference between a 'network channel' and a 'news station'.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #939 on: February 14, 2021, 11:34:23 PM »