Author Topic: Czar Cuomo  (Read 154527 times)

Online chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
Re: Czar Cuomo
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2020, 10:48:11 PM »
In BP/Willi?!?
Schools were fully closed for a few weeks

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2020, 10:48:18 PM »
What are you talking about, things were absolutely shut down. If you recall, we've been in agreement on most Covid related stuff, but I argued at the end of April (iirc) that they had better tone down the extreme lockdown or people will throw out ALL precautions.

How did that turn out? It took a certain meshugeneh who "had just enough" to unlock playgrounds. I wonder what ever happened with him?

Let me clarify. Saying 99% were shut down for months is false. By Shavuos, every shul was packed, per reports here. That didn't happen overnight. There was chatter here starting already on Pesach about people ignoring violations, even if the shuls weren't officially open.

My point isn't to argue the little details. The point is, there has been widespread ignoring of the rules and regs for a very, very long time in our communities. We can take issue with the current situation without trying to whitewash our past misbehavior.

And yes, your take on the restrictions back then was quite on point.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2020, 10:49:17 PM »
It actually just was "some" based on percentages of shuls in these neighborhoods. And like I said schools were completely shut for even longer.

And even if it was closed for just a month (which it wasn't) doesn't give Cuomo permission to say we NEVER followed the rules.  That 1 month nixes that argument.
Come on. I'm not justifying Cuomo. He's off his rocker at this point and I called him out in my last news roundup.
But I am for being honest about the facts. Saying every shul and school was shutdown until after Shavuos is nonsense. A majority, sure.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2020, 10:49:22 PM »
Straw man call out: shut downs weren’t and aren’t the only rules in play. Masking and SD rules have been in effect for months with near zero compliance.

Please don’t read this as a defense of the Governor.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2020, 10:49:59 PM »
That's exactly what I said.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2020, 10:51:35 PM »
In BP/Willi?!?

Not a single school I know of opened until at least Shavuos time.

And the largest schools such as BJBP didn't reopen until September when it was 100% legal. (And they've been closed now since Sukkos.)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2020, 10:52:28 PM »
Not a single school I know of opened until at least Shavuos time.

And the largest schools such as BJBP didn't reopen until September when it was 100% legal. (And they've been closed now since Sukkos.)
So then you weren't reading DDF between Pesach and Shavuos when Corona was being cancelled.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2020, 10:53:59 PM »
What are you talking about, things were absolutely shut down. If you recall, we've been in agreement on most Covid related stuff, but I argued at the end of April (iirc) that they had better tone down the extreme lockdown or people will throw out ALL precautions.

How did that turn out? It took a certain meshugeneh who "had just enough" to unlock playgrounds. I wonder what ever happened with him?
I don’t know. Is this true of everyone in NY or just our communities?

Offline mushkovits

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2020, 10:54:52 PM »
My point isn't to argue the little details. The point is, there has been widespread ignoring of the rules and regs for a very, very long time in our communities. We can take issue with the current situation without trying to whitewash our past misbehavior.
And how was it in other communities? In my Italian neighborhood I absolutely saw not an iota more of compliance than in BoroPark.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2020, 10:55:21 PM »
Come on. I'm not justifying Cuomo. He's off his rocker at this point and I called him out in my last news roundup.
But I am for being honest about the facts. Saying every shul and school was shutdown until after Shavuos is nonsense. A majority, sure.

I never said every. I did agree some shuls were open underground from pretty early on.

I was just arguing that schools remained closed for a much longer time. It didn't happen in tandem.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2020, 10:55:32 PM »
And how was it in other communities? In my Italian neighborhood I absolutely saw not an iota more of compliance than in BoroPark.
Forgive if I don’t believe you. You’re just not saying the truth. I regularly drive through the frum and other neighborhoods.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2020, 10:56:40 PM »
So then you weren't reading DDF between Pesach and Shavuos when Corona was being cancelled.
For everything besides for schools, was closed way too long. definitely not just a few weeks

Offline mushkovits

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2020, 10:59:33 PM »
Forgive if I don’t believe you. You’re just not saying the truth. I regularly drive through the frum and other neighborhoods.
That’s your call. I’m the only Jew on my block and I work full time in BP so I believe I got quite a picture

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #113 on: October 17, 2020, 10:59:40 PM »
For everything besides for schools, was closed way too long. definitely not just a few weeks
How long would have been the appropriate amount of time? Keeping in mind the hospitals were overwhelmed through May

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2020, 11:00:08 PM »

So maybe you didn't drive through his neighborhood.

I was in PA the entire chol hamoed and there were some places where there with close to zero compliance. Obviously not Jewish areas at all.

And I've seen plenty of ppl in NYC that are not Jewish who also don't comply. Its far from 100% compliance outside the Jewish community.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2020, 11:00:24 PM »
That’s your call. I’m the only Jew on my block and I work full time in BP so I believe I got quite a picture
Really. Please provide one photo of a group of Italians entering a building with no masks on.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2020, 11:01:07 PM »

I was in PA the entire chol hamoed and there were some places where there with close to zero compliance. Obviously not Jewish areas at all.

And I've seen plenty of ppl in NYC that are not Jewish who also don't comply. Its far from 100% compliance outside the Jewish community.
It’s not 100%. But it sure is a lot further from the 0 we have here.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/08/27/more-americans-say-they-are-regularly-wearing-masks-in-stores-and-other-businesses/

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2020, 11:01:44 PM »

Can we agree that shuls being closed doesn't mean the rules were being kept?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2020, 11:02:06 PM »
Completely based on my recollection of DDF reports from the time, but it didn't seem like it was just "some" if you're talking about BP/Wili a month after shutdown.

Other places, correct.
20% in Williamsburg, 10% in BP, 2% in Flatbush, 5% in Lakewood... No matter how you cut it, the vast majority were closed. The squeakiest wheels just got the most attention. Nobody was taking pictures and writing articles about the silent majority.

Offline RewardsAddict

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2020, 11:03:02 PM »

+1. I live in BP, went to D.C. for chol hamoed and my family was practically the one wearing masks.