Author Topic: Czar Cuomo  (Read 154500 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Czar Cuomo
« Reply #160 on: October 17, 2020, 11:43:36 PM »

Btw, I was the only person in my shul today with a mask.
It's inexcusable at this point. It's like NYers want to be locked down.
I just don't get it.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #161 on: October 17, 2020, 11:45:04 PM »
Btw, I was the only person in my shul today with a mask. Believe me, that's far more uncomfortable than the mask itself.

I know you're not looking for it, but much respect.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #162 on: October 17, 2020, 11:45:30 PM »
It won't be because of the disagreements, but more because of the inanity.
I am trying to follow/understand this thread but please don't use words I need to Google.  ;)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 17, 2020, 11:45:42 PM »
Other communities absolutely do get outreach. What do you think the daily pressers are for. Celebrities are used to spread messages, and local news, TV and other media is used to spread information. For the most part, our communities don't use those mediums, and I would wager you could you can find a correlation between compliance and those that do use those mediums. 
You're probably right. Cuomo meeting with a few Rebbes would probably go a long way.

There are many, many doctors telling their patients that masks are useless in preventing the spread. Btw, I was the only person in my shul today with a mask. Believe me, that's far more uncomfortable than the mask itself.

Respect.
(Unless you tested positive  :P)
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #164 on: October 17, 2020, 11:46:21 PM »
I did, but we're discussing different things. I say the vast majority shut down, you reply, "you're dead wrong, no one wore masks and SD"

Come on.
True. I was responding not directly to you, but to the general denialism on the thread.

Other communities absolutely do get outreach. What do you think the daily pressers are for. Celebrities are used to spread messages, and local news, TV and other media is used to spread information. For the most part, our communities don't use those mediums, and I would wager you could you can find a correlation between compliance and those that do use those mediums.
Fair point. There’s probably a lot of truth to this, but it doesn’t tell the whole story.
There are many, many doctors telling their patients that masks are useless in preventing the spread. Btw, I was the only person in my shul today with a mask. Believe me, that's far more uncomfortable than the mask itself.
Tell me about it. Nuts.
It won't be because of the disagreements, but more because of the inanity.
Then you probably should never have made an account ;)
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 17, 2020, 11:47:11 PM »
I just don't get it.
Why should they wear a mask if their governor is antisemitic?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #166 on: October 17, 2020, 11:48:19 PM »
I just don't get it.

Every single person I spoke to today had covid before Pesach. In Crown Heights the rate of people my age who had it is insanely high. AFAIK, the only hospitalization in ch in "the second wave" is an Israeli guest.

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #167 on: October 17, 2020, 11:48:34 PM »
Why should they wear a mask if their governor is antisemitic?
You will get likes from those who understand your post and those who don’t

Offline VacationLover

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 17, 2020, 11:48:58 PM »
I think we agree, for the most part. I hope I didn't come across as saying no one kept anything, ever. That's not true. I'm just annoyed at people pretending that everyone kept everything for months, which is also not true. Cuomo's gross overreach and generalizations don't give us the right to absolve ourselves from our misdeeds. I just wish there was a little more accountability and ownership here. Pretending we are blameless hurts us.
Understood.

But do you also agree that every ultra orthodox family sacrificed a lot more than the average American? If so by putting that in perspective you should try to understand the Orthodox brooklynites more.

I am also frustrated why we are not following the rules especially since Rosh Hashona when we heard about the uptick and should've started to comply more short term in order to have a relatively normal life again long term. Now we are unfortunately screwed.

Yet, I also don't blame the people who are not complying, why should they listen to Cuomo when they know first hand how hard it is? But they certainly would have listened to our Rabbonim if they would be הרואה את הנולד. But unfortunately were not and are pretty much quiet.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #169 on: October 17, 2020, 11:49:41 PM »
I just don't get it.

This. This is what gets me. If you know there's a speed trap, who cares if you think 25 MPH is ridiculous?? You slow down or deal with the consequences. One ticket, 2 tickets, and then you want to complain that your license is suspended? Common sense, people!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2020, 11:50:26 PM »
Every single person I spoke to today had covid before Pesach. In Crown Heights the rate of people my age who had it is insanely high. AFAIK, the only hospitalization in ch in "the second wave" is an Israeli guest.
Yeah, that's what everyone in BP, Monsey, and Lakewood said...are you telling me that IgG testing shows 100% positive in CH?
Come on.
The problem is people assumed exposure without getting sick means immunity, which we now know is nonsense.
The 2nd wave is just beginning. Just takes a spark to start it in each place.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2020, 11:51:26 PM »
Yeah, that's what everyone in BP, Monsey, and Lakewood said...are you telling me that IgG testing shows 100% positive in CH?
Come on.
The problem is people assumed exposure means immunity, which we now know is nonsense.
The 2nd wave is just beginning. Just takes a spark to start it.

Thought I had it twice, tested negative both times (once was a bad flu the other time was a bad strep).
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #172 on: October 17, 2020, 11:52:38 PM »
Thought I had it twice, tested negative both times (once was a bad flu the other time was a bad strep).
Did you check for antibodies?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 17, 2020, 11:52:52 PM »
Exactly.
Did you take an antibody test?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 17, 2020, 11:53:54 PM »
There are rumors schools are finally closing tomorrow after Cuomo threatened criminal actions against administrators. I would think it's more about money though.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 17, 2020, 11:55:35 PM »
But do you also agree that every ultra orthodox family sacrificed a lot more than the average American? If so by putting that in perspective you should try to understand the Orthodox brooklynites more.

40% of my immediate family lives in NY, and none in a house. I lived there myself. Not a day goes by that I don't thank G-d for where I live and what I have. I get it. I know it's a lot easier to shake my fist from here than to live it there.

But that's also what irks me. If you know the high cost of a lockdown, shouldn't you be doing everything in your power to avoid it?!

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 17, 2020, 11:56:40 PM »

This is statistically nearly impossible. The morbidity rates in CH mirror rest of NYC, and randomized antibody surveys show that way less than that had it. In addition, everyone knows plenty of people that were extremely extensively exposed, yet never caught it. In addition,a very large subset of people are completely asymptomatic, so if everyone was symptomatic and therefore believes they caught it, they are an exception to the rest the world. If 100% of people believe they got it, that speaks more to the hypochondriac syndrome inherent in a metoo mob mentality than to actual infection rates.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #177 on: October 17, 2020, 11:57:34 PM »
Come on.
The 2nd wave is just beginning. Just takes a spark to start it.

CH got hit earlier and harder than the others.
The sparks keep happening, coming home from the summer, wedding season, tishrei guests, Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur...

I know it could still happen, and I'm taking precautions and encouraging anyone who will listen to do the same. But I absolutely cannot blame people who had covid, have antibodies, and are sick and tired of the hypocrisy of the rule makers for being lax.

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 17, 2020, 11:58:45 PM »
Come on.
The problem is people assumed exposure without getting sick means immunity, which we now know is nonsense.
The 2nd wave is just beginning. Just takes a spark to start it in each place.

Not nonsense, but whatever immunity they seemed to have had last time seems to have worn off. A lot of yeshivos had every single person that did not catch in March and April catch it now when it went around yeshiva, and zero reinfections. It's statistically relevant.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #179 on: October 18, 2020, 12:00:12 AM »
This is statistically nearly impossible. The morbidity rates in CH mirror rest of NYC, and randomized antibody surveys show that way less than that had it. In addition, everyone knows plenty of people that were extremely extensively exposed, yet never caught it. In addition,a very large subset of people are completely asymptomatic, so if everyone was symptomatic and therefore believes they caught it, they are an exception to the rest the world. If 100% of people believe they got it, that speaks more to the hypochondriac syndrome inherent in a metoo mob mentality than to actual infection rates.

You have no idea how many people I spoke to today.