Author Topic: Czar Cuomo  (Read 157166 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Czar Cuomo
« Reply #960 on: February 15, 2021, 10:58:39 AM »
Do you think he would have gone after African Americans or Immigrants had they been an easy target?
There's no way if the African Americans or Latinos were easy targets that he would have gone after them.

I think if there was a way to go after a group without crazy backlash, he would have done it. Going after those demos would have cost him too much, so he likely wouldn't have done it. But that doesn't make him an anti-Semite. It makes him a bully.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: February 15, 2021, 11:05:24 AM »
I think if there was a way to go after a group without crazy backlash, he would have done it. Going after those demos would have cost him too much, so he likely wouldn't have done it. But that doesn't make him an anti-Semite. It makes him a bully.
At this point I must bring up Godwin's law and assume you hold Hitler was simply a bully.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #962 on: February 15, 2021, 11:08:04 AM »
At this point I must bring up Godwin's law and assume you hold Hitler was simply a bully.

Come on, man. Really? You don't see a difference between the guy who wrote Mein Kampf and a megalomaniac governor?

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #963 on: February 15, 2021, 11:15:42 AM »

I'm inclined to agree, to a point. He's not a Sharpton, Farrakhan, or David Duke anti-Semite, and he certainly is a narcissistic bully. But he could not have gotten away with what he did to any other minority, and the fact that he othered frum Jews enough to be able to bully and target them *is anti-Semitism*. So practically, what's the difference? The impact is different from each of them, but as a governor, his anti-Semitism might be tame when seeing me on the street, but was as bad or worse than the others on a societal level.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: February 15, 2021, 11:18:38 AM »
I'm inclined to agree, to a point. He's not a Sharpton, Farrakhan, or David Duke anti-Semite, and he certainly is a narcissistic bully. But he could not have gotten away with what he did to any other minority, and the fact that he othered frum Jews enough to be able to bully and target them *is anti-Semitism*. So practically, what's the difference? The impact is different from each of them, but as a governor, his anti-Semitism might be tame when seeing me on the street, but was as bad or worse than the others on a societal level.

To say it differently. Even in an enlightened anti-discrimination world that's sensitive to other minorities, anti-Semitism still thrives. Somehow there's a double standard between Jews and other minorities, and Cuomo was exploiting that double-standard.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #965 on: February 15, 2021, 11:23:27 AM »

By definition, what he did was discriminatory against Jews and therefore technically anti-Semitic. However, this isn't about the act. It's about who he is and what his motivations are/were. To me, anti-Semitism is hate. Andrew Cuomo doesn't hate Jews. He doesn't care enough about us to hate us. The only person Andrew Cuomo cares about is Andrew Cuomo. Saying he picked on us because we're Jewish is wrong. He picked on us because it served his purpose.

To say it differently. Even in an enlightened anti-discrimination world that's sensitive to other minorities, anti-Semitism still thrives. Somehow there's a double standard between Jews and other minorities, and Cuomo was exploiting that double-standard.

Fair. To me, that doesn't say Cuomo has an anti-Semitism problem; it says society does. Cuomo is just an opportunist.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: February 15, 2021, 11:37:52 AM »
3) The left-wing media turned on Cuomo because they don't need him anymore. Cuomo vs Trump was good for ratings.
I think a bigger reason they turned on him is because he started treating them like trash. If he didn’t like a question he acted all insulted & attacked them.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #967 on: February 15, 2021, 11:41:12 AM »
I think a bigger reason they turned on him is because he started treating them like trash. If he didn’t like a question he acted all insulted & attacked them.

He did that before, too, though. They were just less prone to asking questions he didn't like, and they gave him a pass when he mistreated them because he was their anti-Trump darling.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #968 on: February 15, 2021, 11:43:23 AM »
He did that before, too, though. They were just less prone to asking questions he didn't like, and they gave him a pass when he mistreated them because he was their anti-Trump darling.
His insults got worse over the last year. I don’t think they’d have turned on him like this if he would still be treating them with respect.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #969 on: February 15, 2021, 11:46:44 AM »
His insults got worse over the last year. I don’t think they’d have turned on him like this if he would still be treating them with respect.

100%. My point was that his insults pre-date the election, but the media only turned on him after Jan 20.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #970 on: February 15, 2021, 11:49:50 AM »
So, will it be Cuomo 2024 or 2028 ? :)

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: February 15, 2021, 11:50:59 AM »
So, will it be Cuomo 2024 or 2028 ? :)
2032 harris needs 2 terms

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #972 on: February 15, 2021, 11:54:55 AM »
Without diving too deep into the cluster$#@! this turned into, just a few thoughts:

1) Cuomo being... whatever he is, and making a ton of indisputably horrible decisions, doesn't make everything that went wrong his fault. IIRC, NY's nursing home numbers were on par with NJ, MI, MA, and PA in the early stages of the pandemic. The fatality rate was also high in all the northern states during March/April. Comparing it to California or Washington, which were seeded with a different strain and had different weather conditions, isn't fair. Again, that doesn't excuse his bad decisions and misuse of the Javitz and hospital ship, but let's not make as if he could have saved 10K lives.

2) @CountValentine (hope he's well) would have interjected with his opinion about news vs talking heads. Media is an overarching term that includes both the news, analysis, opinion, and entertainment. Every media outlet gives the news, and they also try to attract viewers (or readers) by providing the other things, too. Invariably, they decide that it's good business to cater to one side or the other, since people are prone to confirmation bias and want to hear what they already believe. Some are better than others at keeping their news and opinions separate. Most fail.

3) The left-wing media turned on Cuomo because they don't need him anymore. Cuomo vs Trump was good for ratings. Now they can jump on the bandwagon bashing the lying murderer and still get the ratings, without damaging the Democratic Party in NYS, because he'll just be replaced with someone more radical. The only ones who haven't jumped on board is CNN, and that's because the optics of bad headlines with the last name of one of their biggest stars just doesn't serve their purpose.

4) Very unpopular opinion: Cuomo isn't an anti-Semite. Jews were discriminated against. No argument there. But just because the a-hole took the easy target to serve his own purposes doesn't put him on par with Farrakhan. That doesn't make him a better person. I just think the anti-Semite tag distracts from who he really is and why he did what he did (and continues to do).

1) Other states followed his lead on that policy. Others, like California, reversed it immediately when they realized how stupid it was. Others have since admitted to the mistakes and taken a modicum of responsibility. And aside from the nursing home fiasco, I don't know who's responsibility the hospitals and EMS are, but it was an epic disaster. Hatzalah literally saved hundreds of lives by keeping people out of hospitals. And post first wave, they haven't done so well. Currently, NY has the highest per capita hospitalization rate.

2) Again, missing the key point. When news media fails and mixes bias into the news, examples of which can be found basically daily, that is almost exclusively a left-wing bias problem. The conversation on this thread, in particular, was theater of the absurd stuff.

3) Jake Tapper HAS jumped on board, and to be fair, he actually has brought up the nursing home stuff earlier. But the media still is only bringing up the nursing home saga, they haven't touched the anti semitic micro clusters, and who knows if they ever will. When Joe Biden was asked who he thought handled Covid well, he got no pushback for saying Cuomo, and has since hired people from Cuomo's team who blatantly lied.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #973 on: February 15, 2021, 11:57:37 AM »

Fair. To me, that doesn't say Cuomo has an anti-Semitism problem; it says society does. Cuomo is just an opportunist.

More like, Cuomo has an anti-Semitism problem, but no one cared when he showed it because society has an anti-Semitism problem.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #974 on: February 15, 2021, 12:11:38 PM »
1) Other states followed his lead on that policy. Others, like California, reversed it immediately when they realized how stupid it was. Others have since admitted to the mistakes and taken a modicum of responsibility. And aside from the nursing home fiasco, I don't know who's responsibility the hospitals and EMS are, but it was an epic disaster. Hatzalah literally saved hundreds of lives by keeping people out of hospitals. And post first wave, they haven't done so well. Currently, NY has the highest per capita hospitalization rate.

2) Again, missing the key point. When news media fails and mixes bias into the news, examples of which can be found basically daily, that is almost exclusively a left-wing bias problem. The conversation on this thread, in particular, was theater of the absurd stuff.

3) Jake Tapper HAS jumped on board, and to be fair, he actually has brought up the nursing home stuff earlier. But the media still is only bringing up the nursing home saga, they haven't touched the anti semitic micro clusters, and who knows if they ever will. When Joe Biden was asked who he thought handled Covid well, he got no pushback for saying Cuomo, and has since hired people from Cuomo's team who blatantly lied.

1) I am in no way, shape, or form absolving Cuomo of his many, many mistakes and bad decisions. My point is only that it is dishonest and wrong to lay every single dead body at his doorstep.

2) I wasn't arguing with you regarding the opinions posted upthread. I would say, though, that it is not an exclusively left-wing issue. It just happens to be that most media orgs are made up of, and cater to, the college educated crowd, so they lean left. The right wing news orgs are just as bad. There are just fewer of them. And there are no real neutral ones anymore.

3) i hear the frustration, but I think some of it is biased because you live in NY and have suffered. Personally, I think the media missed most of DeSantis's bad calls, too. The NH fiasco is a cover-up, so it's getting coverage. When the excess death counts come out for FL, I think we'll be hearing about the cover-up here, too, while ignoring all the other garbage.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #975 on: February 15, 2021, 12:15:49 PM »
More like, Cuomo has an anti-Semitism problem, but no one cared when he showed it because society has an anti-Semitism problem.

We're just gonna disagree here. To me, an anti-Semite is someone who hates us. I don't think he hates Jews. Someone who mugs old people (generally) doesn't hate old people. They take advantage of society's inability (or unwillingness) to protect the weak. Cuomo will take advantage of anybody or anything he can. That other minorities are better protected by society right now is a societal issue.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #976 on: February 15, 2021, 12:18:20 PM »
1) I am in no way, shape, or form absolving Cuomo of his many, many mistakes and bad decisions. My point is only that it is dishonest and wrong to lay every single dead body at his doorstep.

2) I wasn't arguing with you regarding the opinions posted upthread. I would say, though, that it is not an exclusively left-wing issue. It just happens to be that most media orgs are made up of, and cater to, the college educated crowd, so they lean left. The right wing news orgs are just as bad. There are just fewer of them. And there are no real neutral ones anymore.

3) i hear the frustration, but I think some of it is biased because you live in NY and have suffered. Personally, I think the media missed most of DeSantis's bad calls, too. The NH fiasco is a cover-up, so it's getting coverage. When the excess death counts come out for FL, I think we'll be hearing about the cover-up here, too, while ignoring all the other garbage.
All we heard about from the media was about how terrible DeSantis is and how bad it's going to get. You know, all the atrocities that never happened. In reality FL landed right around the same end result as CA and other states with massive lockdowns (and much better than NY/NJ)
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #977 on: February 15, 2021, 12:28:43 PM »
We're just gonna disagree here. To me, an anti-Semite is someone who hates us. I don't think he hates Jews. Someone who mugs old people (generally) doesn't hate old people. They take advantage of society's inability (or unwillingness) to protect the weak. Cuomo will take advantage of anybody or anything he can. That other minorities are better protected by society right now is a societal issue.

An anti semite is someone who is prejudiced against Jews. I don't think hate is quantifiable

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #978 on: February 15, 2021, 12:47:22 PM »
All we heard about from the media was about how terrible DeSantis is and how bad it's going to get. You know, all the atrocities that never happened. In reality FL landed right around the same end result as CA and other states with massive lockdowns (and much better than NY/NJ)

I followed the same media you did. They just kept harping on the state being open and the cases rising. There was zero investigative journalism on anything that was actually going on here. At best, they interviewed Rebekah Jones a few times. I'm not turning this thread into a pissing contest between NY and FL. I think the info will come out soon enough.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #979 on: February 15, 2021, 12:48:20 PM »
An anti semite is someone who is prejudiced against Jews. I don't think hate is quantifiable

99% of the world is anti-Semetic by that definition. Cuomo's not special.