Topic Wiki

This thread discusses speeding tickets and traffic tickets in the state of New York. For parking tickets go here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15090.0 or here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=23665.msg1088489. For moving violations outside of New York, please start a new thread and add a link here.

If you have a specific question please use this template so that members will have enough information to answer.
The ticket was issued in this state:
The ticket is returnable to in this Town/Village/City:
I have a license from this state:
Regular or Commercial license:
Ticket one:
Ticket two(ex):
Accident?:
I want information on "do it yourself":
I want information on "hire an attorney":
I want both:

Please read this wiki first. I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

Q: Can I get a plea bargain in New York City?
A: No. Every single ticket goes to trial, guilty or not guilty, in New York City. (The 5 boroughs of NY, Kings, Queens, Bronx and Richmond.)

Q: How long does it take for points to fall off your New York State record/license/abstract?
A: For DMV persistent violation purposes 18 months from the date of offense regardless of the date of conviction. At 3 years after the date of conviction on the following January first the points are no longer visible on the driving record which insurance companies and traffic prosecutors look at. DMV always keeps a record of your conviction and if you get too many points over your lifetime you could get a "10 year" revocation, however those records are not visible to insurance companies.

Q: Does it pay to fight my NY ticket or should I just pay it?
A: In order to figure the true cost of a traffic ticket conviction (aside from figuring out the total fines and the effects on your record) you need to call up your insurance company and ask them 2 questions. 1. How much will my insurance go up over the next 4 years if I pay this ticket? 2. How much money in "good driver discounts" will I loss over the next 4 years and how much does this add up to?

The reason you need to ask these 2 questions separately is because the insurance companies "shield themselves" from the statutory requirement to not raise insurance rates for a first violation (or speeds up to 15 MPH) by granting "good driver discounts", and then taking away these good driver discounts when you get your first violation. Therefore the (technically) correct answer to the first question you ask them could be "your insurance will not be raised at all". Then when you ask them the second question the answer may be in the thousands of dollars over the next 4 years, depending on your insurance bracket.

Q: How can I find my New York ticket online? 
A: If it is New York City ticket you can find it at https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay if you received a ticket anywhere outside of NYC and anywhere upstate you must contact the individual Court by phone or mail. There is no way to find your ticket online. Google is not able to find most small Courts as it get confused with giving you the most popular courts and attorneys, therefore I suggest you look up your Court at at www.town-court.com.

Q: How can I get a copy of my NYS driving record/license/abstract?
A: You can buy it at the statutory minimum of $7 at https://my.dmv.ny.gov/crm

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a regular non CDL NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no they will not.

Q: Do NY tickets show up on NJ licenses?
A: Yes as a 2 point out of state conviction (most violations).

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no. Exceptions 1. if you have a CDL the NJ conviction will record on your NY license. 2. DUI/DWI and criminal driving convictions from NJ do record on your NY license. 3. as stated above if you don't respond to the ticket the suspension will follow you to NY. In addition NJ issues warrants for failing to respond to traffic tickets. 4 If you are convicted of a high speed (90+ MPH, 100+ MPH) in NJ the Judge may suspend your NJ driving privileges. 

Q: Can I pay Court fines with a CC?
A: In NYC for moving violations you can use https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay. For NYC parking tickets you can use http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/parking.shtml. As far as "upstate" Courts go, most Courts will allow you to pay with visa or mastercard in person. Many Courts have a CC sheet which you can fill in and mail back, other Courts have a third party processor such as https://www.ncourt.com to accept cc payments. Call the Court to find out what options they have. No one (so far that I have seen) will take CCs over the phone.

Q: I received a camera ticket for a red light (3 points) or speeding (3-11 points) or a bus lane violation (2 points). Do traffic tickets issued from a camera add points to my license?
A: Camera Tickets never go on your license as they are issued against the car and not the driver. Therefor a camera ticket will not add points to your license or increase your insurance.

Q: If I push a ticket off for 18 months and then I am convicted, can I still be suspended by the DMV for having more than 11 points?
A: Pushing off a ticket will not help protect you from DMV actions. The reason is as follows: if you receive 2 tickets worth 6 points each on the same day, and you plead guilty to one of them on that same day and you push the second ticket off for 5 years, and then you plead guilty to that second ticket, the DMV computer will look at the 2 dates of violation and say "the motorist accumulated (more than) 11 points within an 18 month period" and issue a persistent violator suspension against you license.

Insurance companies work the other way around. They can only raise your premium after your date of conviction. Therefore in our example the insurance companies will increase your insurance after the first conviction appears on your record when they renew your policy (which will stay on your record for 3 years and then until the next January 1st) and then they will increase your rates again after the second ticket conviction shows up on your record when they renew your policy, (once again this second ticket will stay on the record for  3 years plus until the next January first. It follows that pleading/being found guilty in December saves 11 months of policy increase, and if there is a way to lock in a one year policy right before a conviction in December you can be looking at a car increase for only 2 years and 1 day, instead of 4 years minus one day.)

Travelers Insurance offers 1 year rates.
Geico is 6 months.

Traffic Ticket Lawyers:

State
New York Attorney Matisyahu Wolfberg http://www.speedingdefense.com/
New York Attorney Zev Goldstein www.zevgoldsteinlaw.com 845-356-7770
New York Attorney Benjamin Goldman https://www.benjamingoldmanlawoffice.com/ 212-203-3810
New Jersey and New York Attorney Adam H. Rosenblum www.ticketdefenselaw.com
New Jersey Attorney Leib Klein www.avvo.com/attorneys/08701-nj-leib-klein-1602182.html 732-987-7040

Great Upstate NY lawyer at very cheap prices. http://jaydrillings.net/

Not that many parking ticket lawyers!
Parking ticket Non Lawyer (NYC)
Cathy Mei She takes 50% to fight the parking or camera ticket
Office Number 212-349-4978
Email 329ticket@gmail.com
Fax 646-699-3630

Parking Expert non attorney (718) 384-5052

Non attorney runner http://www.myticketsnyc.com/

Non attorney runner http://www.wefighttickets.com/

10+ Counties in upstate NY have diversion programs, allowing you to dismiss the ticket for a fine and defensive driving class. Conditions and restrictions apply. Check the District Attorney's website for your county: Allegany, Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Clinton, Franklin, Livingston, Orleans, Otsego, Tioga, and Wyoming.

This wiki is not legal advice, nor the advice of an attorney.

Author Topic: Moving Violation Tickets  (Read 997258 times)

Offline high end hobo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Violation Tickets
« Reply #2340 on: March 01, 2016, 01:08:59 AM »
True but they have cc details so it's going to be more work for you
The city of NY issued the ticket and they don't have my CC details.
If the Car rental agency bills me, then I dispute

Offline yochiek93

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: March 01, 2016, 04:40:01 PM »
Afaf he borrowed someone's car and got a speeding ticket the cop said he clocked him at 72 in a 50 zone will the insurance go up for the owner of the vehicle?

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: March 01, 2016, 08:27:08 PM »
Afaf he borrowed someone's car and got a speeding ticket the cop said he clocked him at 72 in a 50 zone will the insurance go up for the owner of the vehicle?
My understanding as a payer of high insurance rates: No.  The insurance of the car owner is not paying anything out, so they don't care.  The speeder will have it figured into his 'rating' when he next applies for insurance.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline yochiek93

• View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: March 01, 2016, 08:29:04 PM »
My understanding as a payer of high insurance rates: No.  The insurance of the car owner is not paying anything out, so they don't care.  The speeder will have it figured into his 'rating' when he next applies for insurance.
Thanx and if he doesn't plan on getting insurance within the next 18 months is it worth to get a lawyer to fight it or should he fight it himself

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: March 01, 2016, 08:34:48 PM »
Thanx and if he doesn't plan on getting insurance within the next 18 months is it worth to get a lawyer to fight it or should he fight it himself
The ticket will count toward his insurance rating for longer than 18 months. 3 or 5 years depending on the ins co.  But other things count toward his insurance rates - not having insurance or even being on someone else's insurance for the period before you're getting insurance is counted against you. Along with age and gender.  So the ticket may or may not be significant when the time comes.

Offline WAM

• View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: March 02, 2016, 11:23:34 PM »
I got a ticket in Montvale NJ for "careless driving". NY license, so no points, but I don't want this on my record. Any ideas?

Does it matter if he left out my eye color, height & restrictions?

I was at a red light, behind a guy who cut me off & we were both waiting to make a right turn. He didn't turn, even though there were no cars. I went into the middle lane & turned right, in front of him. It seems that I got off pretty easy with a careless driving ticket.
Just reread the wiki & realized that this won't go on my record. I thought it would go on my record but I wouldn't receive any points. So, I don't see the point in fighting an $85 ticket.

I just read elsewhere that this will affect my insurance. Does anybody have feedback on this?

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: March 03, 2016, 12:47:02 AM »
I just read elsewhere that this will affect my insurance. Does anybody have feedback on this?
In my experience, they ignore one blemish .  But you can't have any more for a while. 

Offline WAM

• View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: March 03, 2016, 09:24:31 AM »
In my experience, they ignore one blemish .  But you can't have any more for a while.
They ignore completely, or they don't raise the rates? Just because they don't raise the rates, doesn't mean they ignore the ticket. Sometimes they would have lowered the rates for being a safe driver, but now they aren't. So an out of state ticket with a NY license would affect my insurance.

Offline Hirshthg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
« Reply #2348 on: March 03, 2016, 04:18:44 PM »
Someone I know got a ticket for her daughter not being seatbelted. The daughter is 25. The ticket is $130. She wants to know if she gets points for the ticket and if the insurance goes up due to having this ticket. Ticket Fighter wants $250 to fight it. She is ready to pay the ticket if her insurance doesn't go up. Does insurance go up with these types of tickets? For some reason the ticket is in her name even though her daughter is 25..
If she was in the front seat and the ticket is in her name, it would affect her insurance, not yours. But it affects her insurance less than a ticket directly against a driver.

Got my first speeding ticket in 12 years of driving. 50 in 35 zone, so 15 over keeps it "minor" In NYC so no plea bargains. Thinking about fighting it for insurance purposes. Does anyone have personal recommendations of lawyers in wiki or others? Also, if I use a lawyer, do I need to show up to court?
For a NYC speeding ticket, there really isn't a reason to appear in court if you have an attorney. Hiring an attorney is flipping a coin as to win or lose, but its worth fighting the 4 points.

Nope, it goes on his license and insurance. If he gets into an accident that can affect your insurance...

In NY this question is over the next 4 years (3 months + January) not the next 18 months.

I got a ticket in Montvale NJ for "careless driving". NY license, so no points, but I don't want this on my record. Any ideas?
It depends if you have a NY license or a NJ license. If you have a NY license it does not affect your NY record as long as you pay it on time. While NJ does report it to NY, NY does not record that ticket from NJ.

Offline WAM

• View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: March 03, 2016, 10:30:36 PM »
In NY this question is over the next 4 years (3 months + January) not the next 18 months.
(3 years+ January)?
It depends if you have a NY license or a NJ license. If you have a NY license it does not affect your NY record as long as you pay it on time. While NJ does report it to NY, NY does not record that ticket from NJ.
Thanks!

Offline shadchan

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: March 06, 2016, 01:23:37 PM »
Got ticket for careless driving in Wall township, NJ. Anyone have experience with traffic court there?

Offline gavhaller

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Chase Visa Supreme, Avis Cadillac, Hyatt Vacation Club Owner, Disney Annual-Pass Holder, BA Avios Executive Corporate Shareholder VIP, Citi Platinum Status, Owner Of DFS - Discover Financial Services
« Reply #2351 on: March 07, 2016, 05:50:19 PM »
Are there any traffic lawyers in NYC that charge on a per win-basis? Meaning they only charge you their fees if they are successful in getting the violation dismissed? Tia

Offline yoruel

• View Profile
Re: Traffic Tickets
« Reply #2352 on: March 09, 2016, 03:35:27 PM »
3 points, and if you plead not guilty and go in to plead it down yourself you will probably walk away with a parking ticket worth $100 or so. If your ticket is assigned to the Monroe Town court you are able to hire an attorney to appear for you however if you need to go to the Monroe Village court you will need to appear yourself unless you live out of state.
Good luck.
Anyone have experience(more recent than above) with Traffic tickets in Monroe?

Offline yoruel

• View Profile
Re: Traffic Tickets
« Reply #2353 on: March 10, 2016, 11:20:51 AM »
Anyone have experience(more recent than above) with Traffic tickets in Monroe?

Went last night to Village hall(i think they are only open 1 night a week) Lines were 1 hour long.
Prosecutor asked if i wanted to change ticket to parking violation.I took it. You still need to wait to talk to judge.
After fees $125.(all they want is your money) Original Ticket was speeding 13 over limit.

Offline Hirshthg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
« Reply #2354 on: March 14, 2016, 03:50:03 PM »
Are there any traffic lawyers in NYC that charge on a per win-basis? Meaning they only charge you their fees if they are successful in getting the violation dismissed? Tia
The only guy I know about who does this is a crock. The trials really are a coin toss in NYC.

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: March 14, 2016, 03:56:33 PM »
The only guy I know about who does this is a crock. The trials really are a coin toss in NYC.

why does it make him a crook if he only charges if you win?

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: March 14, 2016, 08:02:29 PM »
The trials really are a coin toss in NYC.
Does that mean I may as well just represent myself as hire someone who 'knows what he's doing'?  (failure to yield to pedestrian in crosswalk)

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: March 14, 2016, 09:38:59 PM »
Does that mean I may as well just represent myself as hire someone who 'knows what he's doing'?  (failure to yield to pedestrian in crosswalk)

wait seriously thats a violation in NYC? Its impossible to make a turn in the city without violating said law

Offline Dr Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: March 14, 2016, 09:46:29 PM »
I got a ticket in Spring Valley, NY for not wearing a seatbelt. What are my options? What am I looking at?
Update: $100 fine, no points.

Adult seatbelt? Go in to plead it down yourself. You are looking at around a $150 fine. A child with no seat belt? around the same reduction.
I saw you in court today. Was gonna stop you and say hello, but I figured you're too busy. 
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Online zevi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: March 16, 2016, 10:00:12 AM »
My friend has a license from Cleveland he got a call phone ticket in NYC,He tried to plead not guilty online but it says that the information doesn't match our records. Can he just forget about the ticket then