Topic Wiki

This thread discusses speeding tickets and traffic tickets in the state of New York. For parking tickets go here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15090.0 or here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=23665.msg1088489. For moving violations outside of New York, please start a new thread and add a link here.

If you have a specific question please use this template so that members will have enough information to answer.
The ticket was issued in this state:
The ticket is returnable to in this Town/Village/City:
I have a license from this state:
Regular or Commercial license:
Ticket one:
Ticket two(ex):
Accident?:
I want information on "do it yourself":
I want information on "hire an attorney":
I want both:

Please read this wiki first. I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

Q: Can I get a plea bargain in New York City?
A: No. Every single ticket goes to trial, guilty or not guilty, in New York City. (The 5 boroughs of NY, Kings, Queens, Bronx and Richmond.)

Q: How long does it take for points to fall off your New York State record/license/abstract?
A: For DMV persistent violation purposes 18 months from the date of offense regardless of the date of conviction. At 3 years after the date of conviction on the following January first the points are no longer visible on the driving record which insurance companies and traffic prosecutors look at. DMV always keeps a record of your conviction and if you get too many points over your lifetime you could get a "10 year" revocation, however those records are not visible to insurance companies.

Q: Does it pay to fight my NY ticket or should I just pay it?
A: In order to figure the true cost of a traffic ticket conviction (aside from figuring out the total fines and the effects on your record) you need to call up your insurance company and ask them 2 questions. 1. How much will my insurance go up over the next 4 years if I pay this ticket? 2. How much money in "good driver discounts" will I loss over the next 4 years and how much does this add up to?

The reason you need to ask these 2 questions separately is because the insurance companies "shield themselves" from the statutory requirement to not raise insurance rates for a first violation (or speeds up to 15 MPH) by granting "good driver discounts", and then taking away these good driver discounts when you get your first violation. Therefore the (technically) correct answer to the first question you ask them could be "your insurance will not be raised at all". Then when you ask them the second question the answer may be in the thousands of dollars over the next 4 years, depending on your insurance bracket.

Q: How can I find my New York ticket online? 
A: If it is New York City ticket you can find it at https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay if you received a ticket anywhere outside of NYC and anywhere upstate you must contact the individual Court by phone or mail. There is no way to find your ticket online. Google is not able to find most small Courts as it get confused with giving you the most popular courts and attorneys, therefore I suggest you look up your Court at at www.town-court.com.

Q: How can I get a copy of my NYS driving record/license/abstract?
A: You can buy it at the statutory minimum of $7 at https://my.dmv.ny.gov/crm

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a regular non CDL NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no they will not.

Q: Do NY tickets show up on NJ licenses?
A: Yes as a 2 point out of state conviction (most violations).

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no. Exceptions 1. if you have a CDL the NJ conviction will record on your NY license. 2. DUI/DWI and criminal driving convictions from NJ do record on your NY license. 3. as stated above if you don't respond to the ticket the suspension will follow you to NY. In addition NJ issues warrants for failing to respond to traffic tickets. 4 If you are convicted of a high speed (90+ MPH, 100+ MPH) in NJ the Judge may suspend your NJ driving privileges. 

Q: Can I pay Court fines with a CC?
A: In NYC for moving violations you can use https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay. For NYC parking tickets you can use http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/parking.shtml. As far as "upstate" Courts go, most Courts will allow you to pay with visa or mastercard in person. Many Courts have a CC sheet which you can fill in and mail back, other Courts have a third party processor such as https://www.ncourt.com to accept cc payments. Call the Court to find out what options they have. No one (so far that I have seen) will take CCs over the phone.

Q: I received a camera ticket for a red light (3 points) or speeding (3-11 points) or a bus lane violation (2 points). Do traffic tickets issued from a camera add points to my license?
A: Camera Tickets never go on your license as they are issued against the car and not the driver. Therefor a camera ticket will not add points to your license or increase your insurance.

Q: If I push a ticket off for 18 months and then I am convicted, can I still be suspended by the DMV for having more than 11 points?
A: Pushing off a ticket will not help protect you from DMV actions. The reason is as follows: if you receive 2 tickets worth 6 points each on the same day, and you plead guilty to one of them on that same day and you push the second ticket off for 5 years, and then you plead guilty to that second ticket, the DMV computer will look at the 2 dates of violation and say "the motorist accumulated (more than) 11 points within an 18 month period" and issue a persistent violator suspension against you license.

Insurance companies work the other way around. They can only raise your premium after your date of conviction. Therefore in our example the insurance companies will increase your insurance after the first conviction appears on your record when they renew your policy (which will stay on your record for 3 years and then until the next January 1st) and then they will increase your rates again after the second ticket conviction shows up on your record when they renew your policy, (once again this second ticket will stay on the record for  3 years plus until the next January first. It follows that pleading/being found guilty in December saves 11 months of policy increase, and if there is a way to lock in a one year policy right before a conviction in December you can be looking at a car increase for only 2 years and 1 day, instead of 4 years minus one day.)

Travelers Insurance offers 1 year rates.
Geico is 6 months.

Traffic Ticket Lawyers:

State
New York Attorney Matisyahu Wolfberg http://www.speedingdefense.com/
New York Attorney Zev Goldstein www.zevgoldsteinlaw.com 845-356-7770
New York Attorney Benjamin Goldman https://www.benjamingoldmanlawoffice.com/ 212-203-3810
New Jersey and New York Attorney Adam H. Rosenblum www.ticketdefenselaw.com
New Jersey Attorney Leib Klein www.avvo.com/attorneys/08701-nj-leib-klein-1602182.html 732-987-7040

Great Upstate NY lawyer at very cheap prices. http://jaydrillings.net/

Not that many parking ticket lawyers!
Parking ticket Non Lawyer (NYC)
Cathy Mei She takes 50% to fight the parking or camera ticket
Office Number 212-349-4978
Email 329ticket@gmail.com
Fax 646-699-3630

Parking Expert non attorney (718) 384-5052

Non attorney runner http://www.myticketsnyc.com/

Non attorney runner http://www.wefighttickets.com/

10+ Counties in upstate NY have diversion programs, allowing you to dismiss the ticket for a fine and defensive driving class. Conditions and restrictions apply. Check the District Attorney's website for your county: Allegany, Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Clinton, Franklin, Livingston, Orleans, Otsego, Tioga, and Wyoming.

This wiki is not legal advice, nor the advice of an attorney.

Author Topic: Moving Violation Tickets  (Read 1013669 times)

Offline ericchavez91

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Violation Tickets
« Reply #2700 on: January 05, 2017, 09:01:13 PM »
Received a seat belt ticket in Brooklyn, cop wrote 1/3/16 can I get it voided for technicality?

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: January 05, 2017, 09:16:36 PM »
Received a seat belt ticket in Brooklyn, cop wrote 1/3/16 can I get it voided for technicality?
I wonder if there is a time limit for them to file the ticket that you can use
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline HowYaDoin

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: January 11, 2017, 04:57:59 PM »
I used someone "non lawyer" to fight a Staten island ticket. he claims I was found not guilty. The violation is showing as closed on the NYS site how do I confirm what the result of the ticket was?

Offline nafnaf12

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: January 11, 2017, 04:59:24 PM »
got a cellphone ticket in monsey NY (59) ramapo court
sent the letter today pleading not-guilty
the cop wrote on the ticket that i admitted by saying "yes, i was on my cellphone"  when he asked if i know why he pulled me over i said "cellphone?" (not sure if it matters)
clean license(no tickets)
what am i looking at?
bump
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline WAM

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: January 12, 2017, 12:54:28 AM »
Got pulled over for making an illegal uturn in NYC ( do I have to say where if it's in New York City? ;) ) It was in a biz district, on a two way road, two lanes each way. I turned from the right lane he said I  should have done a 'k' turn from the middle lane. So I was wrong for 2 reasons:
U turn in a business district
U-turn from the rightmost lane instead of the middle lane
 I double-parked immediately after the U-turn &  didn't even realize that I was pulled over. The officer asked for my license and registration and I thought it was a random check. He finally told me he pulled me over because I made a U-turn & went to his unmarked car. When he returned, I  showed him  a PBA card ( which I didn't show him earlier because I didn't realize I was pulled over for a violation) and he told me to fight the ticket in court.  He repeated that,  "that's all I'm gonna say, fight the ticket."

Is There the same 50-50 chance of winning if I show up myself,  or if I call a lawyer?
 Is there anything the cop can do to make that ticket disappear if I show up in court?

It's interesting how I've done it so many times and never been pulled over for U-turn before. A number of times I've asked cops about making U-turns and they said just don't do it in front of the top it's fine. After I got the ticket, I asked the cop about u-turns, he replied first by  saying "are you seriously asking me this question?" And then pointing to two people making a U-turn in front of him and asking me if he should pull them over.
It seems like every cop in the city has a different opinion on U-turns.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:58:20 AM by WAM »

Offline hocker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: January 12, 2017, 07:12:19 AM »
just used zev goldstein to fight a red light ticket. (not sure what lawyer actually showed up and if she directly works for him)
found not guilty on some technicality. judge decides to give me some mussar anyway. lawyer basically told him to shut up
Can we hear the technicality?

Offline Hirshthg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
« Reply #2706 on: January 12, 2017, 10:02:59 AM »
Received a seat belt ticket when I pissed off a cop by beeping my horn on him.. Just pay it or worth fighting?

It's a no point ticket
But it still goes on your record and insurance as a minor offense. If you can fight it easily, you should.

Received a ticket for not properly securing a child with seatbelt in fort Lee nj right before the Washington bridge
It says on the ticket its a non payable offense does that mean I must appear in court? Or is there any way around?
The fine I believe is minor and with no points but to appear in court means waisting a half a day
Non payable in NJ means you must appear. You can call around NJ attorneys for a free consultation. They will tell you if there are points or not.

Received a speeding ticket going off Throgsneck bridge 73mph in 45mph first time ever getting moving violation what should I do?
6 point speed (out of 11) approx. $500 fine. Needs to go to trial. Send an attorney to roll the dice for you.

Received a seat belt ticket in Brooklyn. I believe it's a non point ticket. I'm leaning towards just to pay the summons and move on. Will my insurance company see the summons? Will my rate be affected?
Yes it does go on your record and insurance as a minor conviction. Because you would have to go to trial this may or may not be worth fighting depending on how your record is.

Just realized I had a hearing scheduled today that I missed for a red light ticket from almost a year ago, is there anything I can do now?

Without you telling us which court you were in its hard to predict the procedure.

Just got a cell phone ticket on Brooklyn- checked online and its five points- how can I get around the 5 points? anyway to fight this? does it make a diff if its my first ticket ever?  i would really appreciate if anyone can PM me with advise.
It needs to go to trial = all or nothing. If you had a hands free device, that is the best defense. Make sure you testify or submit an affidavit.

I got a moving violation in brooklyn 2 years ago and tried postponing it for the third time, I went to the staten island TVB to try to change it but they said i need to do it at brooklyn because that's  where the hearing is.
Anyone know if this is correct?
If you go the day of you can only change the date in that DMV office. After a certain amount of adjournments they suspend you until the next trial date. Tread carefully.

got a cellphone ticket in monsey NY (59) ramapo court. sent the letter today pleading not-guilty. the cop wrote on the ticket that i admitted by saying "yes, i was on my cellphone"  when he asked if i know why he pulled me over i said "cellphone?" (not sure if it matters)
They are being difficult in Ramapo about cell phone tickets. You usually can't get it down to less than 2 points.

just used zev goldstein to fight a red light ticket. (not sure what lawyer actually showed up and if she directly works for him)
found not guilty on some technicality. judge decides to give me some mussar anyway. lawyer basically told him to shut up
Whats the lady lawyer's name?
Lawyers call those technicalities "The Law"

A wrong date is a fatal defect. But you will have to prove which date the the ticket was actually issued. As far as the cop is concerned, reality is based on his scrap book.

I wonder if there is a time limit for them to file the ticket that you can use
One year.

I used someone "non lawyer" to fight a Staten island ticket. he claims I was found not guilty. The violation is showing as closed on the NYS site how do I confirm what the result of the ticket was?
Get a copy of your driving record from DMV.NY.GOV

Got pulled over for making an illegal uturn in NYC ( do I have to say where if it's in New York City? ;) ) It was in a biz district, on a two way road, two lanes each way. I turned from the right lane he said I  should have done a 'k' turn from the middle lane. So I was wrong for 2 reasons:
U turn in a business district
U-turn from the rightmost lane instead of the middle lane
 Is There the same 50-50 chance of winning if I show up myself,  or if I call a lawyer?
 Is there anything the cop can do to make that ticket disappear if I show up in court?
It's interesting how I've done it so many times and never been pulled over for U-turn before. A number of times I've asked cops about making U-turns and they said just don't do it in front of the top it's fine. After I got the ticket, I asked the cop about u-turns, he replied first by  saying "are you seriously asking me this question?" And then pointing to two people making a U-turn in front of him and asking me if he should pull them over. It seems like every cop in the city has a different opinion on U-turns.
1. Your odds of winning yourself are lower than a lawyer. The 50% number is not exact. It depends on how well the officer testifies.
2. Not without risking sanctions. Its illegal to fix tickets once they have been issued.
3. In the business district U-turns are not allowed, some cops have better things to do. In reality many people do make those uturns and not every uturn is guarded by a police officer. You can kill someone too if there is no cop around, you only get in trouble if you get caught. If you get caught, there is no point in asking the question "what if you didn't catch me?"...

Offline Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: January 12, 2017, 10:07:48 AM »
I've had prosecutors not offer a plea deal on seat belt ticket, because they told me anyways there's no points.

Should I still have tried to push for a parking violation?
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: January 12, 2017, 10:20:57 AM »

A wrong date is a fatal defect. But you will have to prove which date the the ticket was actually issued. As far as the cop is concerned, reality is based on his scrap book.
 One year.
so he should be able to get it off either way, it won't be filed before 1/3/17
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline nafnaf12

• View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: January 12, 2017, 01:24:54 PM »
got a cellphone ticket in monsey NY (59) ramapo court
sent the letter today pleading not-guilty
the cop wrote on the ticket that i admitted by saying "yes, i was on my cellphone"  when he asked if i know why he pulled me over i said "cellphone?" (not sure if it matters)
what am i looking at?
They are being difficult in Ramapo about cell phone tickets. You usually can't get it down to less than 2 points.
am i better off taking a lawyer?

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
« Reply #2710 on: January 14, 2017, 10:15:33 PM »
I've had prosecutors not offer a plea deal on seat belt ticket, because they told me anyways there's no points.  Should I still have tried to push for a parking violation?
Yes. BTW, prosecutors aren't there to help you...

am i better off taking a lawyer?
It would be more expensive but it would be off your head.

Offline shie123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: January 14, 2017, 11:59:40 PM »
I was told that parking tickets in Upstate (Monsey) don't have to get paid.
Can anybody say if it's true?

Offline nafnaf12

• View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: January 15, 2017, 01:25:02 AM »

It would be more expensive but it would be off your head.
thanks for the prompt reply!
I am asking if taking a lawyer would be better for me in regards to getting the least points..
It will be on my head either way after all it's my first ticket...

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: January 15, 2017, 02:26:00 AM »
Can we hear the technicality?
im not 100% positive but i think the cop didnt say the time and date he pulled me over.
Whats the lady lawyer's name?
Lawyers call those technicalities "The Law"
dont know. the lawyer who was supposed to show up couldn't make it and gave my case to her.

Offline nafnaf12

• View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: January 19, 2017, 01:47:23 PM »
thanks for the prompt reply!
I am asking if taking a lawyer would be better for me in regards to getting the least points..
It will be on my head either way after all it's my first ticket...
sorry to bump
my court date is this upcoming wednesday the 25th.
should i push it off?
go, alone?
or get a lawyer? if yes which do you recommend?
thanks in advance   

Offline nafnaf12

• View Profile
« Reply #2715 on: January 24, 2017, 02:43:26 PM »
sorry to bump
my court date is this upcoming wednesday the 25th.
should i push it off?
go, alone?
or get a lawyer? if yes which do you recommend?
thanks in advance
bump

Offline dsw193

• View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: January 24, 2017, 04:19:33 PM »
bump
I wouldn't push a upstate ticket.

I would go down myself if u feel comfortable and see what they are offering and hire a lawyer afterwards if needed.

I personally feel like a lawyer might get you a better deal.

Offline nafnaf12

• View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: January 24, 2017, 04:23:55 PM »
I wouldn't push a upstate ticket.

I would go down myself if u feel comfortable and see what they are offering and hire a lawyer afterwards if needed.

I personally feel like a lawyer might get you a better deal.
guess ill go down there myself and hope for the best, any tips?
at this point6 its too late to get a lawyer..
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 04:27:18 PM by nafnaf12 »

Offline aryeh1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: January 24, 2017, 05:17:03 PM »
Just got pulled over in nassau county (long island) for looking at my phone, I was kinda lost as I'm not from the area- so was trying to look at the gps.

Cop hit me with 3 tickets! One for "operating vehicle while using portable device" another for expired inspection (didn't realize expired dec 31st) and third he claims my rear plate was "covered by a thick frame" , it has a regular frame that leasing companies put on, never had any issue-its perfectly visble.

Anyone know how to go about this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Danlover111

• View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: January 24, 2017, 09:44:58 PM »
guess ill go down there myself and hope for the best, any tips?
at this point6 its too late to get a lawyer..
I got many tickets upstate over the last 7years i gotta say this, I used a lawyer 1time and the rest myself, i got the same as the lawyer did, go yourself tell them your clean record your going to be more careful.... You should be alright, good luck