Topic Wiki

This thread discusses speeding tickets and traffic tickets in the state of New York. For parking tickets go here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15090.0 or here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=23665.msg1088489. For moving violations outside of New York, please start a new thread and add a link here.

If you have a specific question please use this template so that members will have enough information to answer.
The ticket was issued in this state:
The ticket is returnable to in this Town/Village/City:
I have a license from this state:
Regular or Commercial license:
Ticket one:
Ticket two(ex):
Accident?:
I want information on "do it yourself":
I want information on "hire an attorney":
I want both:

Please read this wiki first. I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

Q: Can I get a plea bargain in New York City?
A: No. Every single ticket goes to trial, guilty or not guilty, in New York City. (The 5 boroughs of NY, Kings, Queens, Bronx and Richmond.)

Q: How long does it take for points to fall off your New York State record/license/abstract?
A: For DMV persistent violation purposes 18 months from the date of offense regardless of the date of conviction. At 3 years after the date of conviction on the following January first the points are no longer visible on the driving record which insurance companies and traffic prosecutors look at. DMV always keeps a record of your conviction and if you get too many points over your lifetime you could get a "10 year" revocation, however those records are not visible to insurance companies.

Q: Does it pay to fight my NY ticket or should I just pay it?
A: In order to figure the true cost of a traffic ticket conviction (aside from figuring out the total fines and the effects on your record) you need to call up your insurance company and ask them 2 questions. 1. How much will my insurance go up over the next 4 years if I pay this ticket? 2. How much money in "good driver discounts" will I loss over the next 4 years and how much does this add up to?

The reason you need to ask these 2 questions separately is because the insurance companies "shield themselves" from the statutory requirement to not raise insurance rates for a first violation (or speeds up to 15 MPH) by granting "good driver discounts", and then taking away these good driver discounts when you get your first violation. Therefore the (technically) correct answer to the first question you ask them could be "your insurance will not be raised at all". Then when you ask them the second question the answer may be in the thousands of dollars over the next 4 years, depending on your insurance bracket.

Q: How can I find my New York ticket online? 
A: If it is New York City ticket you can find it at https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay if you received a ticket anywhere outside of NYC and anywhere upstate you must contact the individual Court by phone or mail. There is no way to find your ticket online. Google is not able to find most small Courts as it get confused with giving you the most popular courts and attorneys, therefore I suggest you look up your Court at at www.town-court.com.

Q: How can I get a copy of my NYS driving record/license/abstract?
A: You can buy it at the statutory minimum of $7 at https://my.dmv.ny.gov/crm

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a regular non CDL NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no they will not.

Q: Do NY tickets show up on NJ licenses?
A: Yes as a 2 point out of state conviction (most violations).

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no. Exceptions 1. if you have a CDL the NJ conviction will record on your NY license. 2. DUI/DWI and criminal driving convictions from NJ do record on your NY license. 3. as stated above if you don't respond to the ticket the suspension will follow you to NY. In addition NJ issues warrants for failing to respond to traffic tickets. 4 If you are convicted of a high speed (90+ MPH, 100+ MPH) in NJ the Judge may suspend your NJ driving privileges. 

Q: Can I pay Court fines with a CC?
A: In NYC for moving violations you can use https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay. For NYC parking tickets you can use http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/parking.shtml. As far as "upstate" Courts go, most Courts will allow you to pay with visa or mastercard in person. Many Courts have a CC sheet which you can fill in and mail back, other Courts have a third party processor such as https://www.ncourt.com to accept cc payments. Call the Court to find out what options they have. No one (so far that I have seen) will take CCs over the phone.

Q: I received a camera ticket for a red light (3 points) or speeding (3-11 points) or a bus lane violation (2 points). Do traffic tickets issued from a camera add points to my license?
A: Camera Tickets never go on your license as they are issued against the car and not the driver. Therefor a camera ticket will not add points to your license or increase your insurance.

Q: If I push a ticket off for 18 months and then I am convicted, can I still be suspended by the DMV for having more than 11 points?
A: Pushing off a ticket will not help protect you from DMV actions. The reason is as follows: if you receive 2 tickets worth 6 points each on the same day, and you plead guilty to one of them on that same day and you push the second ticket off for 5 years, and then you plead guilty to that second ticket, the DMV computer will look at the 2 dates of violation and say "the motorist accumulated (more than) 11 points within an 18 month period" and issue a persistent violator suspension against you license.

Insurance companies work the other way around. They can only raise your premium after your date of conviction. Therefore in our example the insurance companies will increase your insurance after the first conviction appears on your record when they renew your policy (which will stay on your record for 3 years and then until the next January 1st) and then they will increase your rates again after the second ticket conviction shows up on your record when they renew your policy, (once again this second ticket will stay on the record for  3 years plus until the next January first. It follows that pleading/being found guilty in December saves 11 months of policy increase, and if there is a way to lock in a one year policy right before a conviction in December you can be looking at a car increase for only 2 years and 1 day, instead of 4 years minus one day.)

Travelers Insurance offers 1 year rates.
Geico is 6 months.

Traffic Ticket Lawyers:

State
New York Attorney Matisyahu Wolfberg http://www.speedingdefense.com/
New York Attorney Zev Goldstein www.zevgoldsteinlaw.com 845-356-7770
New York Attorney Benjamin Goldman https://www.benjamingoldmanlawoffice.com/ 212-203-3810
New Jersey and New York Attorney Adam H. Rosenblum www.ticketdefenselaw.com
New Jersey Attorney Leib Klein www.avvo.com/attorneys/08701-nj-leib-klein-1602182.html 732-987-7040

Great Upstate NY lawyer at very cheap prices. http://jaydrillings.net/

Not that many parking ticket lawyers!
Parking ticket Non Lawyer (NYC)
Cathy Mei She takes 50% to fight the parking or camera ticket
Office Number 212-349-4978
Email 329ticket@gmail.com
Fax 646-699-3630

Parking Expert non attorney (718) 384-5052

Non attorney runner http://www.myticketsnyc.com/

Non attorney runner http://www.wefighttickets.com/

10+ Counties in upstate NY have diversion programs, allowing you to dismiss the ticket for a fine and defensive driving class. Conditions and restrictions apply. Check the District Attorney's website for your county: Allegany, Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Clinton, Franklin, Livingston, Orleans, Otsego, Tioga, and Wyoming.

This wiki is not legal advice, nor the advice of an attorney.

Author Topic: Moving Violation Tickets  (Read 997353 times)

Offline Wizard

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Violation Tickets
« Reply #3380 on: March 03, 2019, 02:33:08 PM »
I have a u turn moving violation in NYC. I already pushed off the hearing once hoping it would make the points not affect my insurance but then I read the wiki here 😢. The hearing is coming up again. Should I just plead guilty online and pay etc or is it smart to miss the hearing and hope the cop doesn’t show up either (or that wouldn’t help if I don’t show)? Any guidance = greatly appreciated and a like 😊
Bump please 🙏
If you are trying to get my attention/assistance and I'm not responding, please feel free to PM me. :)

Offline MeirS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: March 03, 2019, 02:43:27 PM »
Where can I find info on fighting a ticket in writing in the state of Florida or if that's at all possible?
Bump

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: March 04, 2019, 12:02:42 PM »
Bump please 🙏
Don't miss the hearing, IINM they'll suspend your license.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: March 04, 2019, 12:59:53 PM »
Don't miss the hearing, IINM they'll suspend your license.
Thanks!

Does anyone know if I can go on behalf of a relative to fight their ticket? Or do I need to be a lawyer for that?
If you are trying to get my attention/assistance and I'm not responding, please feel free to PM me. :)

Offline hocker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: March 04, 2019, 03:19:38 PM »
Thanks!

Does anyone know if I can go on behalf of a relative to fight their ticket? Or do I need to be a lawyer for that?
IME if you bring a letter stating that the defendant is out of country they let you push off on his behalf, not sure if you can talk to judge. Although I don't think they ID you.

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: March 27, 2019, 11:59:29 PM »
I got pulled over in Montvale literally a block away from New York. Didn't think of it at the time but wondering what would have happened if I kept driving. Anyone know?
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: March 28, 2019, 12:28:12 AM »
I got pulled over in Montvale literally a block away from New York. Didn't think of it at the time but wondering what would have happened if I kept driving. Anyone know?
They have jurisdiction in adjoining counties and states.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: March 28, 2019, 12:35:46 AM »
They have jurisdiction in adjoining counties and states.
Even states?

Offline Moe Ginsburg

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: March 28, 2019, 12:39:25 AM »
Even states?
What if the officer was chasing a burgular who crossed the state line. Do you think he'd let him go?

Offline Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: March 28, 2019, 02:48:02 AM »
I heard that with state lines they can’t issue you a ticket but hard to believe. Obviously this is what HaShem wanted to happen. Gam zu...

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3390 on: March 28, 2019, 06:48:51 AM »
I heard that with state lines they can’t issue you a ticket but hard to believe. Obviously this is what HaShem wanted to happen. Gam zu...
Can prob ably get it thrown lut on jurisdictional grounds.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: March 28, 2019, 10:11:46 AM »
Can prob ably get it thrown lut on jurisdictional grounds.
Peace officer status in adjoinig states. Will not be dismissed on jurisdictional grounds. Not exactly the same but I remember when TBTA officers were issuing summons on BQE coming off Verrazzano Bridge on Brooklyn side and putting Richmond COunty (Staten Island) on the ticket because their conviction rate in Staten Island traffic court was 99% vs much lower rate in Brooklyn.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: March 28, 2019, 10:39:59 AM »
Peace officer status in adjoinig states. Will not be dismissed on jurisdictional grounds. Not exactly the same but I remember when TBTA officers were issuing summons on BQE coming off Verrazzano Bridge on Brooklyn side and putting Richmond COunty (Staten Island) on the ticket because their conviction rate in Staten Island traffic court was 99% vs much lower rate in Brooklyn.
You definitely can't be convidiced in an NJ court for an infraction under NY law. How would that even work? You would have to have an NJ ticket written.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: March 28, 2019, 10:41:02 AM »
Your case is still the same law being enforced. Thdy have to charge you with a specific stare crime.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: March 28, 2019, 10:51:49 AM »
You definitely can't be convidiced in an NJ court for an infraction under NY law. How would that even work? You would have to have an NJ ticket written.
If they chased from NJ to NY they would give NJ summons. OP was pulled over a block from NY line. If he was over the line but infraction was observed by NJ officer and occurred in NJ, officer would issue NJ summons. No difference where the actual stop occurred.

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: March 28, 2019, 11:10:17 AM »

I am not a lawyer or a cop, but I am under the impression that:
- Out of Jurisdiction only applies if a Police officer from Jurisdiction A observed you committing a crime in Jurisdiction B. i.e. If a cop from Pearl River had driven into Montvale and saw you speeding in Montvale, he couldn't issue you a ticket.

- I believe that there are some elements of hot pursuit that allow cops from Jurisdiction A to pursue someone who committed a crime in their Jurisdiction to another one if they cross the border while being chased. Example - if NYPD is chasing a criminal from Riverdale into Yonkers, they don't stop (they might call Yonkers PD during the pursuit though).

- I would also imagine, if a cop saw you speeding in his jurisdiction and got your plate #, he could issue you a ticket by mail - doesn't really happen, but AFAIK perfectly legal. If you go to fight it, and your grounds for fighting it are that the ticket was written and issued in another jurisdiction, the judge can dismiss without prejudice, and then the cop can re-issue you a ticket right there in court. Since the courthouse is likely in his jurisdiction, your technicality is gone, and the cop will be less inclined to settle.

Along the lines of the last one, about 15 years ago, I got a ticket for speeding in White Plains, NY (officer said I was doing 38 in a 30). I decided to fight it. Never having gotten a ticket before, I misread the back of the ticket and thought that my plea response date was actually a court date. I showed up in the courthouse, only to be told I had to enter a plea. I went to the clerks window to submit my not guilty plea, and as I handed it in, she asked if I wanted the officer's deposition. I said yes and checked the box. Months went by. I was getting worried that I had missed the notice, would miss my court date and have issues with my license. I kept calling the courthouse, and they kept telling me that I would eventually get a date, and to keep trying. 18 months later, I got a court date, 3 months out, but no deposition. I called the courthouse about it, they told me to mention it to the judge.

I go to court on the court date. I wore a suit and tie - after all it is court - I was shocked at how many people were in shorts and t-shirts. I had a pre-trial meeting with the judge's clerk, and the officer. I told him I never received his deposition. They both looked at the ticket, and noticed that the box was checked. That's when he turns to me and says - that's okay, the judge will dismiss it - but without prejudice. Once he does, I will re-issue you the ticket. I assumed that he was using it as a chip to get me to pay a fine in lieu of points. Not knowing if he was correct or not, I very respectfully turned to him and said - 'excuse me officer, can you remind me what the statute of limitations is for a moving violation in NY?' He looked down at the date in my ticket, and then turned back to me and said - 'this is your lucky day'. Of course, he made me wait around another 30-45 minutes until the judge formally dismissed me - I think he was annoyed at having screwed up.

Offline Moe Ginsburg

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: March 28, 2019, 11:24:37 AM »
Jurisdiction is only even a question when dealing with crossing state lines. Within a state, even when crossing municipalities, there are no jurisdictional issues as any local police officer is officially and legally recognized as a police  officer across the entire state.

An NYPD officer can make an official arrest in Rochester; and a local Buffalo police officer can make an arrest in Manhattan.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:29:23 AM by Moe Ginsburg »

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: March 28, 2019, 01:32:26 PM »
Jurisdiction is only even a question when dealing with crossing state lines. Within a state, even when crossing municipalities, there are no jurisdictional issues as any local police officer is officially and legally recognized as a police  officer across the entire state.

An NYPD officer can make an official arrest in Rochester; and a local Buffalo police officer can make an arrest in Manhattan.
And take it one step further...has peace officer status anywhere in US.

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: April 03, 2019, 07:38:18 AM »
The same cop that pulled me over on Montvale noticed different addresses on my license and insurance. He said I had to get it changed by law and he could issue another violation but that he'll let me off with a warning because he's so kind. I knew he would was lying, there's no way he could issue a violation against a NY license under a NJ law.

Offline shmielyosef

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: April 03, 2019, 10:26:33 AM »
. I knew he would was lying, there's no way he could issue a violation against a NY license under a NJ law.
I have a friend who got issued a violation for this in NJ on his NY license