Topic Wiki

This thread discusses speeding tickets and traffic tickets in the state of New York. For parking tickets go here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15090.0 or here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=23665.msg1088489. For moving violations outside of New York, please start a new thread and add a link here.

If you have a specific question please use this template so that members will have enough information to answer.
The ticket was issued in this state:
The ticket is returnable to in this Town/Village/City:
I have a license from this state:
Regular or Commercial license:
Ticket one:
Ticket two(ex):
Accident?:
I want information on "do it yourself":
I want information on "hire an attorney":
I want both:

Please read this wiki first. I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

Q: Can I get a plea bargain in New York City?
A: No. Every single ticket goes to trial, guilty or not guilty, in New York City. (The 5 boroughs of NY, Kings, Queens, Bronx and Richmond.)

Q: How long does it take for points to fall off your New York State record/license/abstract?
A: For DMV persistent violation purposes 18 months from the date of offense regardless of the date of conviction. At 3 years after the date of conviction on the following January first the points are no longer visible on the driving record which insurance companies and traffic prosecutors look at. DMV always keeps a record of your conviction and if you get too many points over your lifetime you could get a "10 year" revocation, however those records are not visible to insurance companies.

Q: Does it pay to fight my NY ticket or should I just pay it?
A: In order to figure the true cost of a traffic ticket conviction (aside from figuring out the total fines and the effects on your record) you need to call up your insurance company and ask them 2 questions. 1. How much will my insurance go up over the next 4 years if I pay this ticket? 2. How much money in "good driver discounts" will I loss over the next 4 years and how much does this add up to?

The reason you need to ask these 2 questions separately is because the insurance companies "shield themselves" from the statutory requirement to not raise insurance rates for a first violation (or speeds up to 15 MPH) by granting "good driver discounts", and then taking away these good driver discounts when you get your first violation. Therefore the (technically) correct answer to the first question you ask them could be "your insurance will not be raised at all". Then when you ask them the second question the answer may be in the thousands of dollars over the next 4 years, depending on your insurance bracket.

Q: How can I find my New York ticket online? 
A: If it is New York City ticket you can find it at https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay if you received a ticket anywhere outside of NYC and anywhere upstate you must contact the individual Court by phone or mail. There is no way to find your ticket online. Google is not able to find most small Courts as it get confused with giving you the most popular courts and attorneys, therefore I suggest you look up your Court at at www.town-court.com.

Q: How can I get a copy of my NYS driving record/license/abstract?
A: You can buy it at the statutory minimum of $7 at https://my.dmv.ny.gov/crm

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a regular non CDL NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no they will not.

Q: Do NY tickets show up on NJ licenses?
A: Yes as a 2 point out of state conviction (most violations).

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no. Exceptions 1. if you have a CDL the NJ conviction will record on your NY license. 2. DUI/DWI and criminal driving convictions from NJ do record on your NY license. 3. as stated above if you don't respond to the ticket the suspension will follow you to NY. In addition NJ issues warrants for failing to respond to traffic tickets. 4 If you are convicted of a high speed (90+ MPH, 100+ MPH) in NJ the Judge may suspend your NJ driving privileges. 

Q: Can I pay Court fines with a CC?
A: In NYC for moving violations you can use https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay. For NYC parking tickets you can use http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/parking.shtml. As far as "upstate" Courts go, most Courts will allow you to pay with visa or mastercard in person. Many Courts have a CC sheet which you can fill in and mail back, other Courts have a third party processor such as https://www.ncourt.com to accept cc payments. Call the Court to find out what options they have. No one (so far that I have seen) will take CCs over the phone.

Q: I received a camera ticket for a red light (3 points) or speeding (3-11 points) or a bus lane violation (2 points). Do traffic tickets issued from a camera add points to my license?
A: Camera Tickets never go on your license as they are issued against the car and not the driver. Therefor a camera ticket will not add points to your license or increase your insurance.

Q: If I push a ticket off for 18 months and then I am convicted, can I still be suspended by the DMV for having more than 11 points?
A: Pushing off a ticket will not help protect you from DMV actions. The reason is as follows: if you receive 2 tickets worth 6 points each on the same day, and you plead guilty to one of them on that same day and you push the second ticket off for 5 years, and then you plead guilty to that second ticket, the DMV computer will look at the 2 dates of violation and say "the motorist accumulated (more than) 11 points within an 18 month period" and issue a persistent violator suspension against you license.

Insurance companies work the other way around. They can only raise your premium after your date of conviction. Therefore in our example the insurance companies will increase your insurance after the first conviction appears on your record when they renew your policy (which will stay on your record for 3 years and then until the next January 1st) and then they will increase your rates again after the second ticket conviction shows up on your record when they renew your policy, (once again this second ticket will stay on the record for  3 years plus until the next January first. It follows that pleading/being found guilty in December saves 11 months of policy increase, and if there is a way to lock in a one year policy right before a conviction in December you can be looking at a car increase for only 2 years and 1 day, instead of 4 years minus one day.)

Travelers Insurance offers 1 year rates.
Geico is 6 months.

Traffic Ticket Lawyers:

State
New York Attorney Matisyahu Wolfberg http://www.speedingdefense.com/
New York Attorney Zev Goldstein www.zevgoldsteinlaw.com 845-356-7770
New York Attorney Benjamin Goldman https://www.benjamingoldmanlawoffice.com/ 212-203-3810
New Jersey and New York Attorney Adam H. Rosenblum www.ticketdefenselaw.com
New Jersey Attorney Leib Klein www.avvo.com/attorneys/08701-nj-leib-klein-1602182.html 732-987-7040

Great Upstate NY lawyer at very cheap prices. http://jaydrillings.net/

Not that many parking ticket lawyers!
Parking ticket Non Lawyer (NYC)
Cathy Mei She takes 50% to fight the parking or camera ticket
Office Number 212-349-4978
Email 329ticket@gmail.com
Fax 646-699-3630

Parking Expert non attorney (718) 384-5052

Non attorney runner http://www.myticketsnyc.com/

Non attorney runner http://www.wefighttickets.com/

10+ Counties in upstate NY have diversion programs, allowing you to dismiss the ticket for a fine and defensive driving class. Conditions and restrictions apply. Check the District Attorney's website for your county: Allegany, Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Clinton, Franklin, Livingston, Orleans, Otsego, Tioga, and Wyoming.

This wiki is not legal advice, nor the advice of an attorney.

Author Topic: Moving Violation Tickets  (Read 1006832 times)

Offline Hirshthg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
Re: Traffic Tickets
« Reply #500 on: July 30, 2013, 10:44:19 PM »
I got a moving violation 2 point ticket for not yielding to pedestrians, is it worth fighting, and if yes who should i use. My friend got also a seat belt ticket do you get points fro it,  and if yes is it worth fighting. It was in Brooklyn.
Gr... I hate it when people give you bits and parts of the story. Dan make a stick with all the ticket info....
Failing to yield is 3 points x2 is 6 points, definitely worth fighting. Also if you got both tickets at the same time you only have to pay 1 legal fee with most attorneys.

Adult seat belt has no points but it does go on your record, it does increase your insurance, and  it does have safety factors. The question is how much is your record worth to you.

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 30, 2013, 10:48:39 PM »
1. Default judgement and 2. possibly A warrant to lock you in a cage also known as a warrant for your arrest and/or possibly revocation of your license. If you mistakenly missed a court date, you should call the court immediately to ensure there are no extra penalties, fines, or warrants and/or to schedule a new court appearance or appeal.

Lol!
For parking tickets they get a money judgement and if you don't pay that they will eventually suspend the registration of your car. When your car registration is suspended eventually they will suspend your driver's license.

However this entire time there is no warrant for arrest, and the only reason they can arrest you for is if you are driving (with a suspended license or registration).

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 30, 2013, 10:52:02 PM »
I got a ticket in NJ 2 weeks ago and it still doesn't show up at njmcdirect.com, it does not state that i have to appear in court, so I want to pay off the ticket (it's NJ and I'm NY license) and finish, is there anything I can do?
What if it doesn't show up at all, does it mean for them that I never got the ticket and I am free?

Please advise
Thanks
Thank does happen. And yes you would be free. However I would call the Court Clerk and check to make sure that they never got it.

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 30, 2013, 10:55:36 PM »
NYC is win or lose, no plea bargaining or reduced verdicts. Going to court you have nothing to lose (other than your time) since pleading guilty and paying without fighting it in court is the same thing as losing in court. Of course you have a much better shot with a lawyer, but they cost $300, give or take (and win or lose.)

If you go down to the Court for trial you can get a better price by paying $100 to one of the suits standing around to take your case to trial. Otherwise it would be $300 by most people.

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 30, 2013, 11:03:08 PM »
Does anyone how it works with points, I.e. Does the insurance company see them as soon as they hit your license and Jack your rates up or only when you are Due for a payment. My q is basically would it be of any benefit to pay for the entire yr before my court date In case I lose the case. Thanks!

"The insurance company gets it after you are found guilty in court for up to 3 years from the date of the ticket. So if your court date was a year after you got the ticket and you were found guilty, the insurance company will consider your ticket when determining your rate in years 2 and 3 from the ticket. Let’s say your court date was pushed of a full 2 years after the ticket then your insurance company will only consider your ticket in year 3. "

Incorrect. The tickets affects your record 3 years+ from the date of conviction. Pushing of a ticket only helps to fog up the mind of the police officer  so he doesn't remember the event.

The real players in NYC show up at the first appearance and only adjourn if they see the cop showed up. This way the cop needs to appear each time and hopefully will eventually stop.

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 30, 2013, 11:05:32 PM »
This guy named Chris Inzerillo (718) 676-7223  gives these courses that take 45-1hr in pizza stores in the tri state area NJ & catskills etc... that gets you 4 points off your license & 10% off your insurance.

Saying that the course takes points off your license is very misleading (yet the dmv used to use the same wording).
All it does is extend your NYS limit from 11 to 14. The points are still there, ad effect you in many other ways.

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 30, 2013, 11:08:33 PM »
I found another thread about traffic tickets. At Hoockers request (who also seems to be in the ticket business) I will not go back from before June:) Sorry for hogging the whole page.

Offline U-no-me!

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 31, 2013, 08:33:38 AM »

Lol!
For parking tickets they get a money judgement and if you don't pay that they will eventually suspend the registration of your car. When your car registration is suspended eventually they will suspend your driver's license.

However this entire time there is no warrant for arrest, and the only reason they can arrest you for is if you are driving (with a suspended license or registration).

Lol!
 ??? Dude i'm not sure what your smoking, but first you gotta STOP spamming the board 2. READ before you post! and 3. Use "Sechel".
Was PG talking about a Parking ticket or a failure to stop/driving infraction ticket? Was U-no-me talking about a parking ticket or a driving infraction ticket?

I'm not sure all this.... is good for your business.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 08:40:27 AM by U-no-me! »
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline hocker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 31, 2013, 08:50:28 AM »
I have a guy who will do it for you for $300, (I think I have a link under my name.)

Liberty isn't such a easy Court however with only 17 over you could probably get it down to no points on your own, and for sure with a lawyer.
everyone pays the DAF.(UA speak from experience)
@NI To summarize:

If you don't have any NY points on your DL and you hope not to get any additional points within 12-18 months you will not be assessed the $300 fee. Taking a lawyer (if you don't have additional points) will not affect you, other than burn a hole in your pocket.

If you would go down on your own you would probably save yourself $100+ dollars for the work zone violation and will give you the leeway of getting another ticket within the above time frame.

Offline NI

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 31, 2013, 11:38:09 AM »
The ticket was for speeding 24 over....so that automatically makes it 6 points...

Offline shnozolla

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: July 31, 2013, 11:43:02 PM »
Hi,

I just got a traffic ticket in ch for riding a bicycle the wrong way down a street.
Here's the thing, I did not have ID so I made a few mistakes while giving over my name and address.
My name is basically terribly misspelled (first and last) my DOB is wrong and my address is an old address that I used to work at (it's also missing the apt no.)

It says "Traffic Ticket" on top of the yellow slip they handed me.

I feel like if I ignore this, it can really bite me in the @$$ later, but do they have any way of getting to me?

Thanks.

Offline hocker

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 01, 2013, 05:47:24 AM »
Hi,

I just got a traffic ticket in ch for riding a bicycle the wrong way down a street.
Here's the thing, I did not have ID so I made a few mistakes while giving over my name and address.
My name is basically terribly misspelled (first and last) my DOB is wrong and my address is an old address that I used to work at (it's also missing the apt no.)

I feel like if I ignore this, it can really bite me in the @$$ later, but do they have any way of getting to me?

Thanks.
Nice Job!

Offline Bostener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 01, 2013, 06:44:30 AM »
"The insurance company gets it after you are found guilty in court for up to 3 years from the date of the ticket. So if your court date was a year after you got the ticket and you were found guilty, the insurance company will consider your ticket when determining your rate in years 2 and 3 from the ticket. Let’s say your court date was pushed of a full 2 years after the ticket then your insurance company will only consider your ticket in year 3. "

Incorrect. The tickets affects your record 3 years+ from the date of conviction. Pushing of a ticket only helps to fog up the mind of the police officer  so he doesn't remember the event.

The real players in NYC show up at the first appearance and only adjourn if they see the cop showed up. This way the cop needs to appear each time and hopefully will eventually stop.

What's your source?
Every traffic lawyer I speak to says it ends 3 years from the ticket date and starts from the court date. Are they all wrong?
Airlines sending me "We're in this together" emails.

Bruh, where were you when my suitcase weighed it 51.50 pounds?

Offline hocker

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 01, 2013, 06:48:00 AM »
What's your source?
Every traffic lawyer I speak to says it ends 3 years from the ticket date and starts from the court date. Are they all wrong?
+1

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 01, 2013, 11:09:28 PM »
Hi,

Thanks.

If you pay it and you are right that they will never catch you, it will not go on your record, and will disappear after 3+ years, however if you ignore it, it hangs around forever, and if they ever do find a way t tag you too it, it would be a lot more expensive and damaging then.

I know a guy from Canada who found a way to get parking tickets to not find him, and he racked up 30K in parking tickets. Then one day, they took his car, and sent him the full bill.

Offline shnozolla

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 01, 2013, 11:25:03 PM »
If you pay it and you are right that they will never catch you, it will not go on your record, and will disappear after 3+ years, however if you ignore it, it hangs around forever, and if they ever do find a way t tag you too it, it would be a lot more expensive and damaging then.

I know a guy from Canada who found a way to get parking tickets to not find him, and he racked up 30K in parking tickets. Then one day, they took his car, and sent him the full bill.

Yes, thanks Hirshthg, it was so tempting to just ignore it, but the prospects of having to deal with a bigger issue down the line got me to pay it now.
I don't like being "had" and getting a ticket for biking the wrong way down the street definitely feels like that.

I found it incredibly difficult to completely invent a name / address etc. so I chose the distortion route (misspelled name etc.) which I can always claim was the officer's problem.

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 02, 2013, 12:02:57 AM »
What's your source?

+1

Hello, earlier in this thread you had one other person give you this info with a website:
I found this for NY

For DMV purposes, points start from date of violation; insurance can use date of conviction.[/b][/u]
I would give you the website I am promoting and of which there is a link under my name, but they may just ban me.

Can you tell me please who are those attorneys you spoke with? The problem is that the laws regarding how long DMV hurts you the points is located under the rules of the commissioner of DMV which everyone is familiar with, the laws regulating the insurance companies because of traffic tickets are not as commonly known.

Here you have links to DMV.GOV (trustworthy?) which talk about action the dmv takes against you for violations: http://www.dmv.ny.gov/license.htm#points Not that the conviction DOES NOT leave your record after 18 months, and that this "part of DMV" can't tell you how long insurance companies will spike you.

Here is a link which give you more information as to how long the violation is on the record and is visible (to everyone including car insurance co.): may increase you for. http://www.dmv.ny.gov/abstract.htm#WHAT
"The DMV removes a conviction or an accident from a driver record on January 1 of the fourth year after the year of the conviction or the accident. For example, an accident or a conviction that occurred during 2003 remains on the driver record until January 1, 2007."

All of the above is using cheat sheets, if you want to read the real law, you can look it up yourself under: public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menuf.cgi Go to "laws of new york" Go to "VAT" and then you can go shopping for the original source in the law. For the 18 month rules you can go to article 20 and then to 510.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #517 on: August 02, 2013, 12:26:37 PM »
Yes, thanks Hirshthg, it was so tempting to just ignore it, but the prospects of having to deal with a bigger issue down the line got me to pay it now.
I don't like being "had" and getting a ticket for biking the wrong way down the street definitely feels like that.

I found it incredibly difficult to completely invent a name / address etc. so I chose the distortion route (misspelled name etc.) which I can always claim was the officer's problem.
Couldn't you just have the ticket dismissed based on all the wrong info?

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 05, 2013, 01:48:42 AM »
Just got a $100 passing-red-light ticket in Boston. What's the best way to reduce it or remove it in Boston?

PS. I was guilty, albeit unintentionally.
Visibly Jewish

Offline YSP

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 05, 2013, 02:10:27 PM »

Quote from: Bostener on August 01, 2013, 06:44:30 am

What's your source?

+1
It's from the date of the ticket. Not the conviction. I run records for insurance companies.