Topic Wiki

This thread discusses speeding tickets and traffic tickets in the state of New York. For parking tickets go here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15090.0 or here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=23665.msg1088489. For moving violations outside of New York, please start a new thread and add a link here.

If you have a specific question please use this template so that members will have enough information to answer.
The ticket was issued in this state:
The ticket is returnable to in this Town/Village/City:
I have a license from this state:
Regular or Commercial license:
Ticket one:
Ticket two(ex):
Accident?:
I want information on "do it yourself":
I want information on "hire an attorney":
I want both:

Please read this wiki first. I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

Q: Can I get a plea bargain in New York City?
A: No. Every single ticket goes to trial, guilty or not guilty, in New York City. (The 5 boroughs of NY, Kings, Queens, Bronx and Richmond.)

Q: How long does it take for points to fall off your New York State record/license/abstract?
A: For DMV persistent violation purposes 18 months from the date of offense regardless of the date of conviction. At 3 years after the date of conviction on the following January first the points are no longer visible on the driving record which insurance companies and traffic prosecutors look at. DMV always keeps a record of your conviction and if you get too many points over your lifetime you could get a "10 year" revocation, however those records are not visible to insurance companies.

Q: Does it pay to fight my NY ticket or should I just pay it?
A: In order to figure the true cost of a traffic ticket conviction (aside from figuring out the total fines and the effects on your record) you need to call up your insurance company and ask them 2 questions. 1. How much will my insurance go up over the next 4 years if I pay this ticket? 2. How much money in "good driver discounts" will I loss over the next 4 years and how much does this add up to?

The reason you need to ask these 2 questions separately is because the insurance companies "shield themselves" from the statutory requirement to not raise insurance rates for a first violation (or speeds up to 15 MPH) by granting "good driver discounts", and then taking away these good driver discounts when you get your first violation. Therefore the (technically) correct answer to the first question you ask them could be "your insurance will not be raised at all". Then when you ask them the second question the answer may be in the thousands of dollars over the next 4 years, depending on your insurance bracket.

Q: How can I find my New York ticket online? 
A: If it is New York City ticket you can find it at https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay if you received a ticket anywhere outside of NYC and anywhere upstate you must contact the individual Court by phone or mail. There is no way to find your ticket online. Google is not able to find most small Courts as it get confused with giving you the most popular courts and attorneys, therefore I suggest you look up your Court at at www.town-court.com.

Q: How can I get a copy of my NYS driving record/license/abstract?
A: You can buy it at the statutory minimum of $7 at https://my.dmv.ny.gov/crm

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a regular non CDL NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no they will not.

Q: Do NY tickets show up on NJ licenses?
A: Yes as a 2 point out of state conviction (most violations).

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no. Exceptions 1. if you have a CDL the NJ conviction will record on your NY license. 2. DUI/DWI and criminal driving convictions from NJ do record on your NY license. 3. as stated above if you don't respond to the ticket the suspension will follow you to NY. In addition NJ issues warrants for failing to respond to traffic tickets. 4 If you are convicted of a high speed (90+ MPH, 100+ MPH) in NJ the Judge may suspend your NJ driving privileges. 

Q: Can I pay Court fines with a CC?
A: In NYC for moving violations you can use https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay. For NYC parking tickets you can use http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/parking.shtml. As far as "upstate" Courts go, most Courts will allow you to pay with visa or mastercard in person. Many Courts have a CC sheet which you can fill in and mail back, other Courts have a third party processor such as https://www.ncourt.com to accept cc payments. Call the Court to find out what options they have. No one (so far that I have seen) will take CCs over the phone.

Q: I received a camera ticket for a red light (3 points) or speeding (3-11 points) or a bus lane violation (2 points). Do traffic tickets issued from a camera add points to my license?
A: Camera Tickets never go on your license as they are issued against the car and not the driver. Therefor a camera ticket will not add points to your license or increase your insurance.

Q: If I push a ticket off for 18 months and then I am convicted, can I still be suspended by the DMV for having more than 11 points?
A: Pushing off a ticket will not help protect you from DMV actions. The reason is as follows: if you receive 2 tickets worth 6 points each on the same day, and you plead guilty to one of them on that same day and you push the second ticket off for 5 years, and then you plead guilty to that second ticket, the DMV computer will look at the 2 dates of violation and say "the motorist accumulated (more than) 11 points within an 18 month period" and issue a persistent violator suspension against you license.

Insurance companies work the other way around. They can only raise your premium after your date of conviction. Therefore in our example the insurance companies will increase your insurance after the first conviction appears on your record when they renew your policy (which will stay on your record for 3 years and then until the next January 1st) and then they will increase your rates again after the second ticket conviction shows up on your record when they renew your policy, (once again this second ticket will stay on the record for  3 years plus until the next January first. It follows that pleading/being found guilty in December saves 11 months of policy increase, and if there is a way to lock in a one year policy right before a conviction in December you can be looking at a car increase for only 2 years and 1 day, instead of 4 years minus one day.)

Travelers Insurance offers 1 year rates.
Geico is 6 months.

Traffic Ticket Lawyers:

State
New York Attorney Matisyahu Wolfberg http://www.speedingdefense.com/
New York Attorney Zev Goldstein www.zevgoldsteinlaw.com 845-356-7770
New York Attorney Benjamin Goldman https://www.benjamingoldmanlawoffice.com/ 212-203-3810
New Jersey and New York Attorney Adam H. Rosenblum www.ticketdefenselaw.com
New Jersey Attorney Leib Klein www.avvo.com/attorneys/08701-nj-leib-klein-1602182.html 732-987-7040

Great Upstate NY lawyer at very cheap prices. http://jaydrillings.net/

Not that many parking ticket lawyers!
Parking ticket Non Lawyer (NYC)
Cathy Mei She takes 50% to fight the parking or camera ticket
Office Number 212-349-4978
Email 329ticket@gmail.com
Fax 646-699-3630

Parking Expert non attorney (718) 384-5052

Non attorney runner http://www.myticketsnyc.com/

Non attorney runner http://www.wefighttickets.com/

10+ Counties in upstate NY have diversion programs, allowing you to dismiss the ticket for a fine and defensive driving class. Conditions and restrictions apply. Check the District Attorney's website for your county: Allegany, Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Clinton, Franklin, Livingston, Orleans, Otsego, Tioga, and Wyoming.

This wiki is not legal advice, nor the advice of an attorney.

Author Topic: Moving Violation Tickets  (Read 993281 times)

Offline aryeh1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Traffic Tickets
« Reply #2240 on: January 06, 2016, 09:31:46 PM »
Where? For what?
Brooklyn for making a turn on a no turning sign

Offline Hirshthg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
« Reply #2241 on: January 06, 2016, 10:45:53 PM »
Got pulled over today in Brooklyn for getting in to my car and driving off as the light turned yellow, the cop (shvartze) didnt deny that it was yellow he was just saying "no respect no respect" because i saw he was there and i shouldn't of done that, i apologized and said this is my first time being pulled over and asked if he could let me go, he said he will see, he comes back with a yellow written paper and says that i was saying it was yellow so i have 15 days to respond not guilty.
when responding not guilty should i mention that no respect part or does the cop get involved in this and have the final say so i don't want to start up with him?
You have the opportunity to go to trial and there you ask him if the light was yellow or red. My suspicion is that when he gets up on the stand he will claim that it was red.

I have a hearing for a traffic ticket coming up in March,  is it to my advantage to pospone it?  Also how many days prior to hearing am i able to pospone it online?  Thanks
See the wiki. You can postpone it up to two days before the hearing online, the first time. Next time they want you to come in to post bail. Third time (or the fourth for some judges) they suspend your license until the ticket is resolved

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #2242 on: January 06, 2016, 11:24:09 PM »
Got a ticket from the sheriff for doing 55 in a 30, Ramapo Town Court. What are my options? This is my first ticket, if it matters.

Ticket says "return by mail before or in person on 1/11/16, 7:00 PM". Does that mean I need to be there on the 11th at 7?

I'm totally confused as to the process and looking through 2242 posts will probably just add to my confusion :P.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Centro

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: January 06, 2016, 11:49:58 PM »
Got a ticket from the sheriff for doing 55 in a 30, Ramapo Town Court. What are my options? This is my first ticket, if it matters.

Ticket says "return by mail before or in person on 1/11/16, 7:00 PM". Does that mean I need to be there on the 11th at 7?

I'm totally confused as to the process and looking through 2242 posts will probably just add to my confusion :P.
I got 2 tickets in Monsey a few months ago, a stop sign and speeding (about 20 above the limit, I don't remember exactly),
Pleated not guilty via mail and got a court date, they converted both tickets into parking tickets.

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: January 07, 2016, 12:14:28 AM »
You have the opportunity to go to trial and there you ask him if the light was yellow or red. My suspicion is that when he gets up on the stand he will claim that it was red.
See the wiki. You can postpone it up to two days before the hearing online, the first time. Next time they want you to come in to post bail. Third time (or the fourth for some judges) they suspend your license until the ticket is resolved
I actually have a ticket going on for 3 years already, it was postponed this week for the 4th time probably...... I am using a guy in BP.... My new date is in June, you're saying that my license is suspended?
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline WAM

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: January 07, 2016, 12:16:56 AM »
I actually have a ticket going on for 3 years already, it was postponed this week for the 4th time probably...... I am using a guy in BP.... My new date is in June, you're saying that my license is suspended?
Check here.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: January 07, 2016, 12:24:10 AM »

Offline WAM

• View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: January 07, 2016, 12:33:19 AM »
Not sure if I read that correctly, but it looked like your license was "suspended" on June 19, for failure to post bond & paid on the same day. Is that the work of your attorney?

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: January 07, 2016, 12:36:18 AM »
I guess so. I had no idea that what was going on. I am happy I am not suspended..

Offline WAM

• View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: January 07, 2016, 12:43:25 AM »
I guess so. I had no idea that what was going on. I am happy I am not suspended..
I was thinking that that's how the process works, if there's a lawyer handling the case. They have some sort of special "privilege$"/connections & do things the average Joe can't. I wonder how far off I am. Now I'll wait for Hirshthg...

Offline Yikes2179

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2250 on: January 07, 2016, 05:33:28 PM »
My wife got a speeding ticket right before crossing the outerbridge -the summons is  to the muncipal court of the city of perth amboy. The cop told us we coukd just pay without going to court but the ticket says court appearance required. Is there anyway to just pay without going to court? It's only $105. Also will there be points if she has a new york license

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: January 07, 2016, 06:11:11 PM »
My wife got a speeding ticket right before crossing the outerbridge -the summons is  to the muncipal court of the city of perth amboy. The cop told us we coukd just pay without going to court but the ticket says court appearance required. Is there anyway to just pay without going to court? It's only $105. Also will there be points if she has a new york license

Call the court

Offline WAM

• View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: January 07, 2016, 11:38:15 PM »
According to the wiki:
Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a regular non CDL NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no they will not

Offline schneury

• View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: January 08, 2016, 09:29:16 AM »

any reason to get a lawyer? And if guilty anyway to get it down to a parking ticket?

Offline Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: January 12, 2016, 05:23:03 PM »
I feel like this one of my most frequented threads in DDF

I got a ticket on the 17 westbound, going 84 in a 65. The court is the town of Wallkill.

What are my options?
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #2255 on: January 12, 2016, 05:33:22 PM »
If you got yourself a parking ticket for parking on alternate side only 10 minutes past the time ,is it worth it to fight or is it even possible to get rid of (meaning to be able to fight it )or is the best bet to just to pay it ??
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline dsw193

• View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: January 12, 2016, 05:47:10 PM »
If you got yourself a parking ticket for parking on alternate side only 10 minutes past the time ,is it worth it to fight or is it even possible to get rid of (meaning to be able to fight it )or is the best bet to just to pay it ??
Try your luck with one of the ticket fighters. Nothing to lose.

Offline shmulyf15

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: January 12, 2016, 06:48:44 PM »

Wow, i had the same story, but it's $200 for me :(. he told me I can pay it online and no points because it's NY license. But i have a court date on the ticket. Please let me know what you're doing so i can do the same. TIA

Offline WAM

• View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: January 12, 2016, 09:32:25 PM »

Check  the parking tickets thread. There's a link in the wiki.

Offline Meno

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: January 14, 2016, 10:35:39 AM »
Got a speeding ticket in Miami, I have a NY License.
Clean record, the cop said he will probably dismiss it if I go to court.
Any suggestions for an attorney?