Topic Wiki

This thread discusses speeding tickets and traffic tickets in the state of New York. For parking tickets go here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15090.0 or here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=23665.msg1088489. For moving violations outside of New York, please start a new thread and add a link here.

If you have a specific question please use this template so that members will have enough information to answer.
The ticket was issued in this state:
The ticket is returnable to in this Town/Village/City:
I have a license from this state:
Regular or Commercial license:
Ticket one:
Ticket two(ex):
Accident?:
I want information on "do it yourself":
I want information on "hire an attorney":
I want both:

Please read this wiki first. I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

Q: Can I get a plea bargain in New York City?
A: No. Every single ticket goes to trial, guilty or not guilty, in New York City. (The 5 boroughs of NY, Kings, Queens, Bronx and Richmond.)

Q: How long does it take for points to fall off your New York State record/license/abstract?
A: For DMV persistent violation purposes 18 months from the date of offense regardless of the date of conviction. At 3 years after the date of conviction on the following January first the points are no longer visible on the driving record which insurance companies and traffic prosecutors look at. DMV always keeps a record of your conviction and if you get too many points over your lifetime you could get a "10 year" revocation, however those records are not visible to insurance companies.

Q: Does it pay to fight my NY ticket or should I just pay it?
A: In order to figure the true cost of a traffic ticket conviction (aside from figuring out the total fines and the effects on your record) you need to call up your insurance company and ask them 2 questions. 1. How much will my insurance go up over the next 4 years if I pay this ticket? 2. How much money in "good driver discounts" will I loss over the next 4 years and how much does this add up to?

The reason you need to ask these 2 questions separately is because the insurance companies "shield themselves" from the statutory requirement to not raise insurance rates for a first violation (or speeds up to 15 MPH) by granting "good driver discounts", and then taking away these good driver discounts when you get your first violation. Therefore the (technically) correct answer to the first question you ask them could be "your insurance will not be raised at all". Then when you ask them the second question the answer may be in the thousands of dollars over the next 4 years, depending on your insurance bracket.

Q: How can I find my New York ticket online? 
A: If it is New York City ticket you can find it at https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay if you received a ticket anywhere outside of NYC and anywhere upstate you must contact the individual Court by phone or mail. There is no way to find your ticket online. Google is not able to find most small Courts as it get confused with giving you the most popular courts and attorneys, therefore I suggest you look up your Court at at www.town-court.com.

Q: How can I get a copy of my NYS driving record/license/abstract?
A: You can buy it at the statutory minimum of $7 at https://my.dmv.ny.gov/crm

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a regular non CDL NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no they will not.

Q: Do NY tickets show up on NJ licenses?
A: Yes as a 2 point out of state conviction (most violations).

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no. Exceptions 1. if you have a CDL the NJ conviction will record on your NY license. 2. DUI/DWI and criminal driving convictions from NJ do record on your NY license. 3. as stated above if you don't respond to the ticket the suspension will follow you to NY. In addition NJ issues warrants for failing to respond to traffic tickets. 4 If you are convicted of a high speed (90+ MPH, 100+ MPH) in NJ the Judge may suspend your NJ driving privileges. 

Q: Can I pay Court fines with a CC?
A: In NYC for moving violations you can use https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay. For NYC parking tickets you can use http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/parking.shtml. As far as "upstate" Courts go, most Courts will allow you to pay with visa or mastercard in person. Many Courts have a CC sheet which you can fill in and mail back, other Courts have a third party processor such as https://www.ncourt.com to accept cc payments. Call the Court to find out what options they have. No one (so far that I have seen) will take CCs over the phone.

Q: I received a camera ticket for a red light (3 points) or speeding (3-11 points) or a bus lane violation (2 points). Do traffic tickets issued from a camera add points to my license?
A: Camera Tickets never go on your license as they are issued against the car and not the driver. Therefor a camera ticket will not add points to your license or increase your insurance.

Q: If I push a ticket off for 18 months and then I am convicted, can I still be suspended by the DMV for having more than 11 points?
A: Pushing off a ticket will not help protect you from DMV actions. The reason is as follows: if you receive 2 tickets worth 6 points each on the same day, and you plead guilty to one of them on that same day and you push the second ticket off for 5 years, and then you plead guilty to that second ticket, the DMV computer will look at the 2 dates of violation and say "the motorist accumulated (more than) 11 points within an 18 month period" and issue a persistent violator suspension against you license.

Insurance companies work the other way around. They can only raise your premium after your date of conviction. Therefore in our example the insurance companies will increase your insurance after the first conviction appears on your record when they renew your policy (which will stay on your record for 3 years and then until the next January 1st) and then they will increase your rates again after the second ticket conviction shows up on your record when they renew your policy, (once again this second ticket will stay on the record for  3 years plus until the next January first. It follows that pleading/being found guilty in December saves 11 months of policy increase, and if there is a way to lock in a one year policy right before a conviction in December you can be looking at a car increase for only 2 years and 1 day, instead of 4 years minus one day.)

Travelers Insurance offers 1 year rates.
Geico is 6 months.

Traffic Ticket Lawyers:

State
New York Attorney Matisyahu Wolfberg http://www.speedingdefense.com/
New York Attorney Zev Goldstein www.zevgoldsteinlaw.com 845-356-7770
New York Attorney Benjamin Goldman https://www.benjamingoldmanlawoffice.com/ 212-203-3810
New Jersey and New York Attorney Adam H. Rosenblum www.ticketdefenselaw.com
New Jersey Attorney Leib Klein www.avvo.com/attorneys/08701-nj-leib-klein-1602182.html 732-987-7040

Great Upstate NY lawyer at very cheap prices. http://jaydrillings.net/

Not that many parking ticket lawyers!
Parking ticket Non Lawyer (NYC)
Cathy Mei She takes 50% to fight the parking or camera ticket
Office Number 212-349-4978
Email 329ticket@gmail.com
Fax 646-699-3630

Parking Expert non attorney (718) 384-5052

Non attorney runner http://www.myticketsnyc.com/

Non attorney runner http://www.wefighttickets.com/

10+ Counties in upstate NY have diversion programs, allowing you to dismiss the ticket for a fine and defensive driving class. Conditions and restrictions apply. Check the District Attorney's website for your county: Allegany, Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Clinton, Franklin, Livingston, Orleans, Otsego, Tioga, and Wyoming.

This wiki is not legal advice, nor the advice of an attorney.

Author Topic: Moving Violation Tickets  (Read 997149 times)

Offline zlt123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Violation Tickets
« Reply #2820 on: March 24, 2017, 02:40:18 AM »
What happens if i dont find my ticket in the system online even after 15 days what should be my next step? plead by mail? ignore? hope that the cop will never enter it in the system ?

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: March 24, 2017, 08:53:54 AM »
What happens if i dont find my ticket in the system online even after 15 days what should be my next step? plead by mail? ignore? hope that the cop will never enter it in the system ?
Mine showed up way after the 15 days.  I was also hoping it got lost, but it didn't. So pleading by mail may be your only choice.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline zlt123

• View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: March 27, 2017, 11:13:18 AM »
I got a ticket today in Boro Park, for failing to come to a full stop by a stop sign, the only problem is that i did, but the cop only came after i made already the full stop and was going slowly into the intersection, but of course he gave me ticket ,

I wanna know whats my options, fight it myself? hire a lawyer? are they any good in this corrupt city?? or just pay it and not waist time and money ? and its my first ticket 1 thing is for sure i am putting in tomorrow the best dash cam i could find
BUMP

Offline larryilo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: March 27, 2017, 11:54:02 AM »
I just noticed on my consumer report that I have a warrant issued as of 1/27 for not appearing in court.

Any advice on what I should do now?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2824 on: March 29, 2017, 04:23:17 PM »
Family member with NJ license got dinged in Brooklyn for violations of 1163(a) and 1163(b).

Am I correct to assume these "out of state" violations will be counted by NJ as two points each (so a total of 4) and insurance will see them?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 04:30:52 PM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: March 29, 2017, 09:10:54 PM »
Family member with NJ license got dinged in Brooklyn for violations of 1163(a) and 1163(b).

Am I correct to assume these "out of state" violations will be counted by NJ as two points each (so a total of 4) and insurance will see them?
I don't know what 1163a and 1163b are but if it has points it will be 2 points each and insurance will see it
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline elya

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: March 29, 2017, 09:16:17 PM »
I don't know what 1163a and 1163b
I cant imagine too many folks around here do.

I cant fathom what the point of posting the violation code in lieu of the nature of the violation was.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: March 29, 2017, 09:19:35 PM »

I cant fathom what the point of posting the violation code in lieu of the nature of the violation was.
That's the way lawyers talk, don't bother trying to change them.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline elya

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: March 29, 2017, 09:20:42 PM »
That's the way lawyers talk, don't bother trying to change them.
Lol

Offline AJK

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2829 on: March 29, 2017, 09:26:57 PM »

Fair.

In truth, it was directed towards Hirshtg who would know. But for everyone else:

http://ypdcrime.com/vt/article28.htm#t1163
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline lechatchileh ariber

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: March 30, 2017, 03:18:27 AM »
Got pulled over for a $4 ticket, one of the lights on my rear license plate was out.
How that even justified the cop leaving his cutout, I have no idea.
I hope he feels good that he's saving the world ;)
I don't sin, I give myself opportunities to repent.

Offline myi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #2831 on: March 30, 2017, 03:23:50 AM »
Got pulled over for a $4 ticket, one of the lights on my rear license plate was out.
How that even justified the cop leaving his cutout, I have no idea.
I hope he feels good that he's saving the world ;)
$4?!?!?!
And since when do you need two bulbs over your license plate? I though one was all you needed, even should you have two and you still can't see the license plate are they going to give you a ticket because the bulbs needs to be replaced, I must say this is the most lame excuse I've heard for a ticket. (assuming this cop was a little oochy.)
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

• View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: March 30, 2017, 11:46:29 AM »
It is the end of the month...
Eta:
Here's what the violation was
39:3-66 Maintenance of Lamps

All lamps must be kept clean and in good working order.
That is the same violation given for headlights and tail lights which are out.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 12:02:31 PM by lechatchileh ariber »

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
« Reply #2833 on: April 01, 2017, 11:49:26 PM »
Thank you for the good wishes everyone.

I think we should add a template for the wiki. Such as

License state:
State ticket was issued:
Municipality ticket was issued:
Ticket one:
Ticket two:
I want information on "do it yourself":
I want information on "hire an attorney":
I want both:

Thoughts?

Got pulled over for a $4 ticket, one of the lights on my rear license plate was out. How that even justified the cop leaving his cutout, I have no idea. I hope he feels good that he's saving the world ;)
Every stop is an opportunity to "smell something" or "see something" or "sense criminality" and search your car. Luckily for you, the cop did non of those things.

Family member with NJ license got dinged in Brooklyn for violations of 1163(a) and 1163(b). Am I correct to assume these "out of state" violations will be counted by NJ as two points each (so a total of 4) and insurance will see them?
You are correct, and the violations are worth 4 points in NY. Being that the officer double charged you have a better chance of getting at least one off at trial.

I cant imagine too many folks around here do. I cant fathom what the point of posting the violation code in lieu of the nature of the violation was.
I can't fathom why people don't include the code along with the charge name, being that the same charge name can actually be different charges. For instance, "obstructing intersection" can be a parking ticket, a 2 point traffic ticket or a criminal charge of disorderly conduct. Likewise, driving without a license could really be driving with a suspended license, a misdemeanor.

Its often not entered into the system with 15 days. You should enter your email address at transact2.dmv.ny.gov and you will be notified when the ticket is filed. You have 30 days from the date the ticket is filed in the electronic system "15 days" not withstanding.

Just got a letter from a town court 10 years later and they say that I owe them money ,but i remember paying them (of course cant find the receipt for it).  Does it make sense that they wake up 10 years later?
A town court (assuming you are talking about NY) is "local criminal court." Their fines do not expire. Ask to see a "case history" and a copy of all the letters generated in that case.

I got a ticket today in Boro Park, for failing to come to a full stop by a stop sign, the only problem is that i did, but the cop only came after i made already the full stop and was going slowly into the intersection, but of course he gave me ticket. I wanna know whats my options, fight it myself? hire a lawyer? are they any good in this corrupt city?? or just pay it and not waist time and money ? and its my first ticket 1 thing is for sure i am putting in tomorrow the best dash cam i could find
You are looking at three points.
Your options are going to trial yourself. You could cross examine the officer to see if they saw your vehicle when it stopped. The officer might lie and might tell the truth.
You can hire an attorney to do the same exact thing, except that you wouldn't need to go and the attorney has lots of experience.
Plenty of people win trials in Brooklyn TVB and plenty lose. You are spending time or money on throwing the dice.

Sunday before Purim I got ticket. He claims passenger In back seat wasn't wearing seat belt. he asked me how fast I was going, I said 58 he gave me speeding ticket. 2 tickets.  Town of orangeburg. After I plea not guilty, what is process?
Seat belt is three points. 58 is a speed, but what was the limit!?!
Orangeburg/Orangetown has been mailing out offers by mail to everyone with traffic tickets. Assuming your speed was 58/30 which is 6 points, they are not going to offer 9 down to 0. An attorney might save a couple more points off their mailed plea offer.

My dad got a speeding cam ticket in the mail for when I was driving in DC. (The car is under his name and registered in MI) Can we safely ignore?
Never ignore. Pay the "parking ticket" and keep driving. Even if you can currently safely ignore, the states keep finding better ways to get their money. What's safe today might not be safe tomorrow.

Just got a new car and forgot to put registration in the glove compartment. Got pulled over and aside for speeding ticket I got a $180 ticket for lack of registration. Can I get that off if I send in a copy of registration?
Sounds like a NJ ticket? In NJ they have a violation "failed to display" unlike NY. You can't "fix" the past "failed to display" by displaying in the future.

Plea bargains are outside nyc and are offered (months) before court.. usually they set up a separate meeting.

But in nyc there isn't that option and in court judge could do that as well or anything as he/she feels
In NYC they are not real "judges." They are DMV hearing officers with limited authority. They can only find "guilty" or "not guilty." They can find you guilty of one ticket but not the other, or they can find you were speeding 85 MPH not 86 MPH which could save you points.

I got pulled over for going 85 in a 65 zone, wawayanda ny, in the summer. I sent in not guilty, and was told that a date should be issued within a few months. I never got any letter from then. Should I still be waiting? Since then I have changed my license from CA to NJ of that changes anything
Being that your address changed, you might not hear from them. Best to call and make sure they have your new address. Lots of upstate courts are backed up 6 months.

Offline yoruel

• View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: April 01, 2017, 11:59:49 PM »
Sunday before Purim I got ticket.
He claims passenger In back seat wasn't wearing seat belt.
 he asked me how fast I was going, I said 58 he gave me speeding ticket.
2 tickets.
Town of orangeburg.
After I plea not guilty, what is process?
Hirshtg thank you.
It was on palisades,58/50.
Does officer need to show up in court?

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #2835 on: April 02, 2017, 12:11:50 AM »
Hirshtg thank you.
It was on palisades,58/50.
Does officer need to show up in court?
*correction*
3 point speed, 3 point seat belt. He probably gave you a break and didn't pull you over for 8 MPH.
Officer does not show up until a trial date.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 12:16:26 AM by Hirshthg »

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: April 02, 2017, 12:20:00 AM »
Got clocked going 86 in 65mph zone. First ticket. Cop was super nice and gave me a seatbelt ticket. Is there any points on that? Insurance rates go up?

Should I just pay?

ETA: NJ license on the GSP.
Welcome back Hirshtig. Any comment on this?

• View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: April 02, 2017, 01:01:36 AM »

Being that your address changed, you might not hear from them. Best to call and make sure they have your new address. Lots of upstate courts are backed up 6 months.
Thank you, is that even if I still get mail at the old address? (It's my parents house)

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: April 02, 2017, 10:41:54 PM »
Welcome back Hirshtig. Any comment on this?
I think it would affect your insurance, being that it appears on your driving record, but not to the degree of a greater violation.

Thank you, is that even if I still get mail at the old address? (It's my parents house)
That boils down to how much you trust your parents to forward every single letter, right away.
In addition, you have an obligation to update the DMV with a current address within 10 days of moving.

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: April 03, 2017, 12:30:44 AM »
I think it would affect your insurance, being that it appears on your driving record, but not to the degree of a greater violation.
Thanks for the reply! Let's hope it won't affect it too much..