Topic Wiki

This thread discusses speeding tickets and traffic tickets in the state of New York. For parking tickets go here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15090.0 or here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=23665.msg1088489. For moving violations outside of New York, please start a new thread and add a link here.

If you have a specific question please use this template so that members will have enough information to answer.
The ticket was issued in this state:
The ticket is returnable to in this Town/Village/City:
I have a license from this state:
Regular or Commercial license:
Ticket one:
Ticket two(ex):
Accident?:
I want information on "do it yourself":
I want information on "hire an attorney":
I want both:

Please read this wiki first. I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

Q: Can I get a plea bargain in New York City?
A: No. Every single ticket goes to trial, guilty or not guilty, in New York City. (The 5 boroughs of NY, Kings, Queens, Bronx and Richmond.)

Q: How long does it take for points to fall off your New York State record/license/abstract?
A: For DMV persistent violation purposes 18 months from the date of offense regardless of the date of conviction. At 3 years after the date of conviction on the following January first the points are no longer visible on the driving record which insurance companies and traffic prosecutors look at. DMV always keeps a record of your conviction and if you get too many points over your lifetime you could get a "10 year" revocation, however those records are not visible to insurance companies.

Q: Does it pay to fight my NY ticket or should I just pay it?
A: In order to figure the true cost of a traffic ticket conviction (aside from figuring out the total fines and the effects on your record) you need to call up your insurance company and ask them 2 questions. 1. How much will my insurance go up over the next 4 years if I pay this ticket? 2. How much money in "good driver discounts" will I loss over the next 4 years and how much does this add up to?

The reason you need to ask these 2 questions separately is because the insurance companies "shield themselves" from the statutory requirement to not raise insurance rates for a first violation (or speeds up to 15 MPH) by granting "good driver discounts", and then taking away these good driver discounts when you get your first violation. Therefore the (technically) correct answer to the first question you ask them could be "your insurance will not be raised at all". Then when you ask them the second question the answer may be in the thousands of dollars over the next 4 years, depending on your insurance bracket.

Q: How can I find my New York ticket online? 
A: If it is New York City ticket you can find it at https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay if you received a ticket anywhere outside of NYC and anywhere upstate you must contact the individual Court by phone or mail. There is no way to find your ticket online. Google is not able to find most small Courts as it get confused with giving you the most popular courts and attorneys, therefore I suggest you look up your Court at at www.town-court.com.

Q: How can I get a copy of my NYS driving record/license/abstract?
A: You can buy it at the statutory minimum of $7 at https://my.dmv.ny.gov/crm

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a regular non CDL NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no they will not.

Q: Do NY tickets show up on NJ licenses?
A: Yes as a 2 point out of state conviction (most violations).

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no. Exceptions 1. if you have a CDL the NJ conviction will record on your NY license. 2. DUI/DWI and criminal driving convictions from NJ do record on your NY license. 3. as stated above if you don't respond to the ticket the suspension will follow you to NY. In addition NJ issues warrants for failing to respond to traffic tickets. 4 If you are convicted of a high speed (90+ MPH, 100+ MPH) in NJ the Judge may suspend your NJ driving privileges. 

Q: Can I pay Court fines with a CC?
A: In NYC for moving violations you can use https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay. For NYC parking tickets you can use http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/parking.shtml. As far as "upstate" Courts go, most Courts will allow you to pay with visa or mastercard in person. Many Courts have a CC sheet which you can fill in and mail back, other Courts have a third party processor such as https://www.ncourt.com to accept cc payments. Call the Court to find out what options they have. No one (so far that I have seen) will take CCs over the phone.

Q: I received a camera ticket for a red light (3 points) or speeding (3-11 points) or a bus lane violation (2 points). Do traffic tickets issued from a camera add points to my license?
A: Camera Tickets never go on your license as they are issued against the car and not the driver. Therefor a camera ticket will not add points to your license or increase your insurance.

Q: If I push a ticket off for 18 months and then I am convicted, can I still be suspended by the DMV for having more than 11 points?
A: Pushing off a ticket will not help protect you from DMV actions. The reason is as follows: if you receive 2 tickets worth 6 points each on the same day, and you plead guilty to one of them on that same day and you push the second ticket off for 5 years, and then you plead guilty to that second ticket, the DMV computer will look at the 2 dates of violation and say "the motorist accumulated (more than) 11 points within an 18 month period" and issue a persistent violator suspension against you license.

Insurance companies work the other way around. They can only raise your premium after your date of conviction. Therefore in our example the insurance companies will increase your insurance after the first conviction appears on your record when they renew your policy (which will stay on your record for 3 years and then until the next January 1st) and then they will increase your rates again after the second ticket conviction shows up on your record when they renew your policy, (once again this second ticket will stay on the record for  3 years plus until the next January first. It follows that pleading/being found guilty in December saves 11 months of policy increase, and if there is a way to lock in a one year policy right before a conviction in December you can be looking at a car increase for only 2 years and 1 day, instead of 4 years minus one day.)

Travelers Insurance offers 1 year rates.
Geico is 6 months.

Traffic Ticket Lawyers:

State
New York Attorney Matisyahu Wolfberg http://www.speedingdefense.com/
New York Attorney Zev Goldstein www.zevgoldsteinlaw.com 845-356-7770
New York Attorney Benjamin Goldman https://www.benjamingoldmanlawoffice.com/ 212-203-3810
New Jersey and New York Attorney Adam H. Rosenblum www.ticketdefenselaw.com
New Jersey Attorney Leib Klein www.avvo.com/attorneys/08701-nj-leib-klein-1602182.html 732-987-7040

Great Upstate NY lawyer at very cheap prices. http://jaydrillings.net/

Not that many parking ticket lawyers!
Parking ticket Non Lawyer (NYC)
Cathy Mei She takes 50% to fight the parking or camera ticket
Office Number 212-349-4978
Email 329ticket@gmail.com
Fax 646-699-3630

Parking Expert non attorney (718) 384-5052

Non attorney runner http://www.myticketsnyc.com/

Non attorney runner http://www.wefighttickets.com/

10+ Counties in upstate NY have diversion programs, allowing you to dismiss the ticket for a fine and defensive driving class. Conditions and restrictions apply. Check the District Attorney's website for your county: Allegany, Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Clinton, Franklin, Livingston, Orleans, Otsego, Tioga, and Wyoming.

This wiki is not legal advice, nor the advice of an attorney.

Author Topic: Moving Violation Tickets  (Read 997459 times)

Offline Hirshthg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
Re: Moving Violation Tickets
« Reply #3120 on: January 24, 2018, 08:24:21 PM »
Got a cell phone ticket and improper plate ticket in New York in 2015. Ticket was administratively adjourned once and I requested an adjournment once. Date is for next week when I will be out of town. Was that DMV this morning and judge refused to adjourn even with Bond. What are my options? If I miss the date won't they just threaten to suspend me if I dont appear ot pay within 30 days? Or will the default not be vacated? He said he will allow me to get an attorney to adjourn but I didnt want to pay one as Im certain I can win at trial alone.

I believe that other judges are allowed to consider the matter too. Another ALJ might allow you to adjourn.

got a ticket in queens, do i have the option to request supporting deposition as it wasn't issued with the ticket? on the ticket it doesn't mention that option

The ticket was issued in this state: NY
The ticket is returnable to in this Town/Village/City:
I have a license from: NY
Commercial/Residential: residential
Ticket one: moved from lane unsafely 1128A

I want information on "do it yourself":
I want information on "hire an attorney":
I want both:
No supporting depositions in Queens because it isn't a real court. see https://www.change.org/p/change-new-york-city-traffic-courts-to-real-courts

You can either go to trial yourself or hire an attorney to conduct the trial for you. Its a 3 point ticket.

Offline emak

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: January 27, 2018, 07:24:30 PM »
Got speeding ticket in NJ, with mandatory court date. When I looked ticket up in the court's system, the name was spelled wrong. Does that matter?

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: January 27, 2018, 08:48:17 PM »

Does the overpay trick work in NY to avoid points posting to driving record? (Overpay ticket, city sends you check that you don't deposit so ticket is paid but points aren't finalized)

Pretty sure that's an urban myth http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/ticket.asp

I know ppl that did in NJ years ago and it worked

Offline US

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: January 28, 2018, 02:01:46 PM »

I know ppl that did in NJ years ago and it worked
I know someone tried doing it, they sent the check back saying it has to be exact amount.

Offline Yammer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: January 28, 2018, 02:15:30 PM »
How many years ago?

I'm talking 6+ years ago.

Offline US

• View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: January 28, 2018, 02:16:25 PM »
How many years ago?

I'm talking 6+ years ago.
Oh...
Talking about recently.

Quoted wrong person, meant for @wizard who asked if still works..

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: January 30, 2018, 09:13:56 AM »
which website will best help me prepare for trial regarding NJ speeding ticket?

Offline brotha123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: February 25, 2018, 04:22:00 AM »
I got a 5 point ticket for holding a phone in my hand while driving a vehicle. It's in NY so I know it's guilty or not guilty.
The lawyer I called James Meadow wanted 450 including bond while MyticketsNYC who advertised here on DD wanted 250. Is there a real difference? If anyone could advise or give suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Offline VieuxCarre

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: February 27, 2018, 12:54:36 AM »
I have a NJ DL and received a speeding ticket going 55 mph in a 30 in Kings Point (Great Neck) Long Island NY.
Anyone have any experience with this court?
Can I plea it down?
Thanks

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #3129 on: February 27, 2018, 12:56:57 AM »
I have a NJ DL and received a speeding ticket going 55 mph in a 30 in Kings Point (Great Neck) Long Island NY.
Can I plea it down?
Thanks
No pleas in NYC. Hire a lawyer.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline VieuxCarre

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: February 27, 2018, 01:27:31 AM »
No pleas in NYC. Hire a lawyer.

This is Nassau County Long Island not NYC.

Offline Hirshthg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
« Reply #3131 on: February 28, 2018, 02:09:40 PM »
Can I plea it down?
Thanks
Kings point is a problem Court right now. With a clean record they may cut the points in half. (6 to 3) with a bad record they may not offer you anything. Some defense attorneys in Nassau are taking all their Kings Point cases to Trial and are filing motions.

I got a 5 point ticket for holding a phone in my hand while driving a vehicle. It's in NY so I know it's guilty or not guilty.
The lawyer I called James Meadow wanted 450 including bond while MyticketsNYC who advertised here on DD wanted 250. Is there a real difference? If anyone could advise or give suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Can you figure out which attorney you are using with MyticketsNYC? I cannot find the name of an attorney, just some "Executive Manager" named "Gavriel Robenov" https://www.myticketsnyc.com/about. Make sure its really a law firm and you aren't being scammed.

Offline googwallet

• View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: March 12, 2018, 11:38:46 PM »
Got a ticket for using a mobile phone in Brooklyn yesterday  >:(. I was eating a Larabar and the cop thought it was a cell phone. He asked to see my call history which I showed him (and it didn't show any calls) and he then proceeded to issue the ticket. Seems like they are doing a serious crackdown in Brooklyn these days as I know a few other people who also got mobile phone tickets and I see cars being pulled over often (I'm in Crown Heights).

This is my first "moving violation" (had my license for 8 years). What are my chances of getting it dismissed? I'd rather not have to pay for a lawyer... Any suggestions are appreciated.

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: March 12, 2018, 11:45:22 PM »
Got a ticket for using a mobile phone in Brooklyn yesterday  >:( .

Seems like they are doing a serious crackdown in Brooklyn these days as I know a few other people who also got mobile phone tickets and I see cars being pulled over often (I'm in Crown Heights).
I got a "disobey stop sign" ticket yesterday.  In BoroPark.  I can't say for sure I stopped for a full 3 seconds, but I certainly didn't breeze right through.
Definitely a crackdown.

And the cop asked me twice if I was hurrying someplace, so he could put it in his notes to use when testifying against me.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: March 12, 2018, 11:51:01 PM »

This is my first "moving violation" (had my license for 8 years). What are my chances of getting it dismissed? I'd rather not have to pay for a lawyer... Any suggestions are appreciated.
Very difficult to get it dismissed.  You can delay the hearing and hope the cop is reassigned and won't show at the hearing, but not likely.  Or you can pay a traffic ticket lawyer and perhaps he'll luck out and be able to do something.
1 cell phone ticket probably won't be devastating on your insurance without any other accidents or moving violations.

Offline googwallet

• View Profile
« Reply #3135 on: March 13, 2018, 11:18:40 PM »
Very difficult to get it dismissed.  You can delay the hearing and hope the cop is reassigned and won't show at the hearing, but not likely.  Or you can pay a traffic ticket lawyer and perhaps he'll luck out and be able to do something.
1 cell phone ticket probably won't be devastating on your insurance without any other accidents or moving violations.
Thanks. Are you saying without a lawyer there is no use in going to the hearing?

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: March 13, 2018, 11:48:27 PM »
Thanks. Are you saying without a lawyer there is no use in going to the hearing?
I went once and watched all the cases ahead of me. The judge was empowered to find a defendant guilty or not guilty.  There was no compromise available. So if you have no reason or proof that you're not guilty of what the cop charges, I don't think you have a chance of getting off.  Lawyers seemed to be able to make a deal before they got into the hearing room.

Offline sams

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: March 14, 2018, 03:11:41 AM »
If u have let’s say pa license it will Show up license ? Insurance will c?

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: March 14, 2018, 09:28:33 AM »
If u have let’s say pa license it will Show up license ? Insurance will c?
from https://www.carinsurance.com/Articles/out-of-state-speeding-tickets-follow-you-home.aspx
Then there are a few states that have unique laws. If you're a New York resident who received a minor traffic ticket in Quebec or Ontario, Canada, New York will record it and assess you points. But if you receive the ticket within the country, it will not go on your record. New Jersey adds two points for all out-of-state traffic convictions, even if your points for the violation would have been different in-state.

Also: Auto insurance companies don't care where you received a traffic ticket. To them, a conviction in any state makes you a riskier driver. However, how traffic offenses are rated varies by insurer and state.

from https://dmv.ny.gov/tickets-received-another-state

What happens if I get a traffic ticket in another state?

Your NYS Driver License will be suspended if you fail to answer a ticket for a moving violation in any state except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon or Wisconsin. Your license will remain suspended until you answer the ticket. Likewise, drivers from any state, except those from the six states listed above, will have their driver licenses suspended in their own state for failure to answer a moving violation in New York State.

The New York State DMV does not record out-of-state convictions of moving traffic violations of New York State non-commercial licensed drivers, except for traffic offenses committed in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec in Canada.

Offline ezmk

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: March 14, 2018, 03:14:54 PM »
Any advice?

On purim going to my inlaws I had a green light and made a left turn on 39th and 4th in brooklyn, I never knew you not alowd to make a left from 10 to 7, and when you have a green light the sign on the side of the road is not visible to a driver unless theres a red light or a stop sign.

Is there a way to write a letter to the judge, I know by parking tickets  you could submit a letter
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 03:18:33 PM by ezmk »