Topic Wiki

This thread discusses speeding tickets and traffic tickets in the state of New York. For parking tickets go here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15090.0 or here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=23665.msg1088489. For moving violations outside of New York, please start a new thread and add a link here.

If you have a specific question please use this template so that members will have enough information to answer.
The ticket was issued in this state:
The ticket is returnable to in this Town/Village/City:
I have a license from this state:
Regular or Commercial license:
Ticket one:
Ticket two(ex):
Accident?:
I want information on "do it yourself":
I want information on "hire an attorney":
I want both:

Please read this wiki first. I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

Q: Can I get a plea bargain in New York City?
A: No. Every single ticket goes to trial, guilty or not guilty, in New York City. (The 5 boroughs of NY, Kings, Queens, Bronx and Richmond.)

Q: How long does it take for points to fall off your New York State record/license/abstract?
A: For DMV persistent violation purposes 18 months from the date of offense regardless of the date of conviction. At 3 years after the date of conviction on the following January first the points are no longer visible on the driving record which insurance companies and traffic prosecutors look at. DMV always keeps a record of your conviction and if you get too many points over your lifetime you could get a "10 year" revocation, however those records are not visible to insurance companies.

Q: Does it pay to fight my NY ticket or should I just pay it?
A: In order to figure the true cost of a traffic ticket conviction (aside from figuring out the total fines and the effects on your record) you need to call up your insurance company and ask them 2 questions. 1. How much will my insurance go up over the next 4 years if I pay this ticket? 2. How much money in "good driver discounts" will I loss over the next 4 years and how much does this add up to?

The reason you need to ask these 2 questions separately is because the insurance companies "shield themselves" from the statutory requirement to not raise insurance rates for a first violation (or speeds up to 15 MPH) by granting "good driver discounts", and then taking away these good driver discounts when you get your first violation. Therefore the (technically) correct answer to the first question you ask them could be "your insurance will not be raised at all". Then when you ask them the second question the answer may be in the thousands of dollars over the next 4 years, depending on your insurance bracket.

Q: How can I find my New York ticket online? 
A: If it is New York City ticket you can find it at https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay if you received a ticket anywhere outside of NYC and anywhere upstate you must contact the individual Court by phone or mail. There is no way to find your ticket online. Google is not able to find most small Courts as it get confused with giving you the most popular courts and attorneys, therefore I suggest you look up your Court at at www.town-court.com.

Q: How can I get a copy of my NYS driving record/license/abstract?
A: You can buy it at the statutory minimum of $7 at https://my.dmv.ny.gov/crm

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a regular non CDL NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no they will not.

Q: Do NY tickets show up on NJ licenses?
A: Yes as a 2 point out of state conviction (most violations).

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no. Exceptions 1. if you have a CDL the NJ conviction will record on your NY license. 2. DUI/DWI and criminal driving convictions from NJ do record on your NY license. 3. as stated above if you don't respond to the ticket the suspension will follow you to NY. In addition NJ issues warrants for failing to respond to traffic tickets. 4 If you are convicted of a high speed (90+ MPH, 100+ MPH) in NJ the Judge may suspend your NJ driving privileges. 

Q: Can I pay Court fines with a CC?
A: In NYC for moving violations you can use https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay. For NYC parking tickets you can use http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/parking.shtml. As far as "upstate" Courts go, most Courts will allow you to pay with visa or mastercard in person. Many Courts have a CC sheet which you can fill in and mail back, other Courts have a third party processor such as https://www.ncourt.com to accept cc payments. Call the Court to find out what options they have. No one (so far that I have seen) will take CCs over the phone.

Q: I received a camera ticket for a red light (3 points) or speeding (3-11 points) or a bus lane violation (2 points). Do traffic tickets issued from a camera add points to my license?
A: Camera Tickets never go on your license as they are issued against the car and not the driver. Therefor a camera ticket will not add points to your license or increase your insurance.

Q: If I push a ticket off for 18 months and then I am convicted, can I still be suspended by the DMV for having more than 11 points?
A: Pushing off a ticket will not help protect you from DMV actions. The reason is as follows: if you receive 2 tickets worth 6 points each on the same day, and you plead guilty to one of them on that same day and you push the second ticket off for 5 years, and then you plead guilty to that second ticket, the DMV computer will look at the 2 dates of violation and say "the motorist accumulated (more than) 11 points within an 18 month period" and issue a persistent violator suspension against you license.

Insurance companies work the other way around. They can only raise your premium after your date of conviction. Therefore in our example the insurance companies will increase your insurance after the first conviction appears on your record when they renew your policy (which will stay on your record for 3 years and then until the next January 1st) and then they will increase your rates again after the second ticket conviction shows up on your record when they renew your policy, (once again this second ticket will stay on the record for  3 years plus until the next January first. It follows that pleading/being found guilty in December saves 11 months of policy increase, and if there is a way to lock in a one year policy right before a conviction in December you can be looking at a car increase for only 2 years and 1 day, instead of 4 years minus one day.)

Travelers Insurance offers 1 year rates.
Geico is 6 months.

Traffic Ticket Lawyers:

State
New York Attorney Matisyahu Wolfberg http://www.speedingdefense.com/
New York Attorney Zev Goldstein www.zevgoldsteinlaw.com 845-356-7770
New York Attorney Benjamin Goldman https://www.benjamingoldmanlawoffice.com/ 212-203-3810
New Jersey and New York Attorney Adam H. Rosenblum www.ticketdefenselaw.com
New Jersey Attorney Leib Klein www.avvo.com/attorneys/08701-nj-leib-klein-1602182.html 732-987-7040

Great Upstate NY lawyer at very cheap prices. http://jaydrillings.net/

Not that many parking ticket lawyers!
Parking ticket Non Lawyer (NYC)
Cathy Mei She takes 50% to fight the parking or camera ticket
Office Number 212-349-4978
Email 329ticket@gmail.com
Fax 646-699-3630

Parking Expert non attorney (718) 384-5052

Non attorney runner http://www.myticketsnyc.com/

Non attorney runner http://www.wefighttickets.com/

10+ Counties in upstate NY have diversion programs, allowing you to dismiss the ticket for a fine and defensive driving class. Conditions and restrictions apply. Check the District Attorney's website for your county: Allegany, Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Clinton, Franklin, Livingston, Orleans, Otsego, Tioga, and Wyoming.

This wiki is not legal advice, nor the advice of an attorney.

Author Topic: Moving Violation Tickets  (Read 997134 times)

Offline hocker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Violation Tickets
« Reply #3220 on: July 03, 2018, 04:48:09 PM »
Anyone ?
1- IME it has to be the person himself unless there's a good excuse (i.e. out of country) then a signed letter works.

Offline Hirshthg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
« Reply #3221 on: July 03, 2018, 05:44:06 PM »
The ticket was issued in this state: NY- Town of Goshen
I have a license from: NY
I was clocked at 81 in a 65 zone on the 17.
Its my first violation.
Im not sure what to do.. I called a few lawyers and most want 350+ and most said they can push it down to a parking ticket. Does anyone have any advice for me?
You can plead not guilty and go in yourself on the conference date. Cheaper. If they offer points you can always ask for an adjournment to come back with the lawyer.

When missing tvb court in nyc and u get letter to post bail to Avoid suspension.1- does that person himself need to come to court to post the bail and a get new court date ? 2-does it have to be tvb court stated on letter or can be any tvb court thanks
Someone need to go in person to post the bail, they will not take the bail online. I think you can go to any office.

***We are trying to abolish the Traffic Violations Bureau in New York City. Sign the Petition today at https://www.change.org/p/change-new-york-city-traffic-courts-to-real-courts*** Just closing in on 2,500 signatures.

Offline Hershelsdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: July 04, 2018, 01:18:25 AM »
You can plead not guilty and go in yourself on the conference date. Cheaper. If they offer points you can always ask for an adjournment to come back with the lawyer.
Someone need to go in person to post the bail, they will not take the bail online. I think you can go to any office.

***We are trying to abolish the Traffic Violations Bureau in New York City. Sign the Petition today at https://www.change.org/p/change-new-york-city-traffic-courts-to-real-courts*** Just closing in on 2,500 signatures.
C'mon guys, 5 more

Offline sams

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: July 04, 2018, 03:03:16 AM »
C'mon guys, 5 more
I put on few groups , really hope one day we can change it

Offline chayie

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: July 18, 2018, 12:28:23 PM »
Hi.

If someone can recommend an attorney, I'd appreciate it. Here's all the info:

The ticket was issued in NJ on July 8
The ticket is returnable to Point Township
I have a non commercial license from Maryland
Ticket is for $85 and for careless driving - no injury
Accident: yes

TIA

Offline izzymords

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3225 on: July 18, 2018, 12:54:59 PM »
Received a speeding ticket in Newburgh NY. 85 in 65. Anyone have experience with the court there? Anyone have an attorney to recommend? Thanks

Offline sams

• View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: July 18, 2018, 02:01:22 PM »
Received a speeding ticket in Newburgh NY. 85 in 65. Anyone have experience with the court there? Anyone have an attorney to recommend? Thanks
Zev  Goldstein good 845-371-8457

Offline sams

• View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: July 19, 2018, 03:09:39 AM »
 If you post bond in nyc then u Just plead guilty online and pay will you Get the bail back ?

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: July 19, 2018, 12:13:05 PM »
If you post bond in nyc then u Just plead guilty online and pay will you Get the bail back ?

Bail will be applied to the fine/deducted from the fine.

Offline Ace.of.spades

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: July 19, 2018, 03:46:20 PM »
Anyone have experience with Sayreville NJ court? Got a cellphone ticket in the Cheesequake rest area and want to plea bargain....

TIA

Offline tmendy226

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #3230 on: July 19, 2018, 05:29:49 PM »
If I got a speeding ticket with a non US license and the poice officer only wrote my name and DOB, what happens if I don't pay for it?

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: July 20, 2018, 06:55:15 PM »
If I got a speeding ticket with a non US license and the poice officer only wrote my name and DOB, what happens if I don't pay for it?

Depends on the state. If you do nothing the state of NY will issue a suspension against your privileges to drive. If you ever drive again in the State of new York and you are stopped, you can be arrested and charged with a misdemeanor.

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: July 20, 2018, 07:18:52 PM »
Depends on the state. If you do nothing the state of NY will issue a suspension against your privileges to drive. If you ever drive again in the State of new York and you are stopped, you can be arrested and charged with a misdemeanor.
How would they know it's him?
There might be several t mendys with his birthday.
Couldn't he plead ignorance - claim it wasn't him that was given the ticket?
Basically, how do they prove it's him?

My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: July 31, 2018, 11:05:10 PM »
How would they know it's him?
There might be several t mendys with his birthday.
Couldn't he plead ignorance - claim it wasn't him that was given the ticket?
Basically, how do they prove it's him?

Burden of proof is a court thing. On the street, they often arrest first and say sorry later. 

There are a number cases now with state reciprocity where people from other states who have never been in NY are having their licenses suspended because they have the same name and date of birth as someone in the Bronx.

Offline Triple Canopy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: August 06, 2018, 12:19:26 PM »
1. How often do attorneys win cases in NYC TVB? I sent 3 tickets to lawyers and they lost all 3. 50%? 10%?

2. I have received about 3 tickets in the past 3-4 years with GEICO. A cell phone, failure to yield. They have yet to raise my rates. Anyone else experience this? Did they forget to pull my driver's record at renewal?

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: August 06, 2018, 06:20:18 PM »
1. How often do attorneys win cases in NYC TVB? I sent 3 tickets to lawyers and they lost all 3. 50%? 10%?

2. I have received about 3 tickets in the past 3-4 years with GEICO. A cell phone, failure to yield. They have yet to raise my rates. Anyone else experience this? Did they forget to pull my driver's record at renewal?

Odds are about 50% but if you get decent officers each time, your personal odds are lower.

The DMV charges for each record pull. It could be that Geico has an algorithm as to who's records they pull.

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #3236 on: August 07, 2018, 02:20:05 PM »
A couple of days ago I was driving into Manhattan. Coming off the Manhattan bridge turning right onto Bowery, there's a flashing red light (which has the same meaning as a stop sign). There was one car in front of me, and despite the fact that the road was clear to proceed and make the turn, he didn't move. The lane to my right was clear, so I shifted over to that lane, stopped at the intersection, and proceeded to make the turn. Immediately after making the turn, a police cruiser turned on his lights indicating that I should stop. After informing me that everything is being recorded on audio and video, he proceeded to say that he stopped me due to improper lane usage, and asked for my license and registration.

He wouldn't engage in conversation and just went back to his car, coming back after a few minutes saying that he's letting me off with an "administrative warning" and that it means that if I'm stopped again I will definitely get a ticket. When I asked him what I did wrong, he said that the lane I used in order to make the turn, isn't a traffic lane, but rather a parking lane, not to be used for driving.

Here's what I see on the DOT map:

And a Google Maps image of that lane is here.

My questions are:
  • Is an "administrative warning" something real, or was he just trying to scare me?
  • What, if any, traffic law did I violate by bypassing the car that wouldn't move, going to the right lane, stopping at the stop line, and then proceeding with caution to make the turn?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline sams

• View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: August 08, 2018, 01:02:09 AM »
  Anyone have pa lawyer,?tickets was right next to nj/speeding ticket

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: August 08, 2018, 05:13:22 PM »
A couple of days ago I was driving into Manhattan. Coming off the Manhattan bridge turning right onto Bowery, there's a flashing red light (which has the same meaning as a stop sign). There was one car in front of me, and despite the fact that the road was clear to proceed and make the turn, he didn't move. The lane to my right was clear, so I shifted over to that lane, stopped at the intersection, and proceeded to make the turn. Immediately after making the turn, a police cruiser turned on his lights indicating that I should stop. After informing me that everything is being recorded on audio and video, he proceeded to say that he stopped me due to improper lane usage, and asked for my license and registration.

He wouldn't engage in conversation and just went back to his car, coming back after a few minutes saying that he's letting me off with an "administrative warning" and that it means that if I'm stopped again I will definitely get a ticket. When I asked him what I did wrong, he said that the lane I used in order to make the turn, isn't a traffic lane, but rather a parking lane, not to be used for driving.

Here's what I see on the DOT map:

And a Google Maps image of that lane is here.

My questions are:
  • Is an "administrative warning" something real, or was he just trying to scare me?
  • What, if any, traffic law did I violate by bypassing the car that wouldn't move, going to the right lane, stopping at the stop line, and then proceeding with caution to make the turn?

That's absurd. Even if what you did was illegal, everyone drives this way in NYC.

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #3239 on: August 08, 2018, 05:26:11 PM »
That's absurd. Even if what you did was illegal, everyone drives this way in NYC.

Years ago I was driving behind a cop who was literally crawling. At the next red light, I stopped on the lane to his right, and when the light turned green went ahead. I don't believe I did anything illegal by driving faster than he did (still below the speed limit) yet he turned on his lights to stop me, and asked for my license and registration. As I was pulling out my license, he noticed another picture ID in my stack of documents and cards, and was sure he was going to nail me on having two licenses. He persisted in trying to accuse me of having two licenses, and when he insisted I showed him the other card (which was a different form of ID, but not a drivers license).

Bottom line is that police officers and criminals have a lot in common. They have macho personalities and like to exert power and authority. He probably stopped me just because he saw someone exerting a small degree of power, by passing someone who was too hesitant to proceed at a stop sign, and wanted to show who really has power. So he makes up an excuse, and hopes to find something else (no license, registration, seatbelt, etc.) to give a ticket. In this situation, he had no options. I'm a careful driver. Haven't been stopped by police in years, was wearing seatbelts, and had all my documents with me. Had it not been the case that I was in a real rush (which is why I bypassed the hesitant driver to begin with), I would have asked for his name and badge number, and filed a complaint for harassment (not that it would help). But I was in a real rush, and just couldn't wait to get to my destination.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan