Topic Wiki

This thread discusses speeding tickets and traffic tickets in the state of New York. For parking tickets go here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15090.0 or here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=23665.msg1088489. For moving violations outside of New York, please start a new thread and add a link here.

If you have a specific question please use this template so that members will have enough information to answer.
The ticket was issued in this state:
The ticket is returnable to in this Town/Village/City:
I have a license from this state:
Regular or Commercial license:
Ticket one:
Ticket two(ex):
Accident?:
I want information on "do it yourself":
I want information on "hire an attorney":
I want both:

Please read this wiki first. I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

Q: Can I get a plea bargain in New York City?
A: No. Every single ticket goes to trial, guilty or not guilty, in New York City. (The 5 boroughs of NY, Kings, Queens, Bronx and Richmond.)

Q: How long does it take for points to fall off your New York State record/license/abstract?
A: For DMV persistent violation purposes 18 months from the date of offense regardless of the date of conviction. At 3 years after the date of conviction on the following January first the points are no longer visible on the driving record which insurance companies and traffic prosecutors look at. DMV always keeps a record of your conviction and if you get too many points over your lifetime you could get a "10 year" revocation, however those records are not visible to insurance companies.

Q: Does it pay to fight my NY ticket or should I just pay it?
A: In order to figure the true cost of a traffic ticket conviction (aside from figuring out the total fines and the effects on your record) you need to call up your insurance company and ask them 2 questions. 1. How much will my insurance go up over the next 4 years if I pay this ticket? 2. How much money in "good driver discounts" will I loss over the next 4 years and how much does this add up to?

The reason you need to ask these 2 questions separately is because the insurance companies "shield themselves" from the statutory requirement to not raise insurance rates for a first violation (or speeds up to 15 MPH) by granting "good driver discounts", and then taking away these good driver discounts when you get your first violation. Therefore the (technically) correct answer to the first question you ask them could be "your insurance will not be raised at all". Then when you ask them the second question the answer may be in the thousands of dollars over the next 4 years, depending on your insurance bracket.

Q: How can I find my New York ticket online? 
A: If it is New York City ticket you can find it at https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay if you received a ticket anywhere outside of NYC and anywhere upstate you must contact the individual Court by phone or mail. There is no way to find your ticket online. Google is not able to find most small Courts as it get confused with giving you the most popular courts and attorneys, therefore I suggest you look up your Court at at www.town-court.com.

Q: How can I get a copy of my NYS driving record/license/abstract?
A: You can buy it at the statutory minimum of $7 at https://my.dmv.ny.gov/crm

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a regular non CDL NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no they will not.

Q: Do NY tickets show up on NJ licenses?
A: Yes as a 2 point out of state conviction (most violations).

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no. Exceptions 1. if you have a CDL the NJ conviction will record on your NY license. 2. DUI/DWI and criminal driving convictions from NJ do record on your NY license. 3. as stated above if you don't respond to the ticket the suspension will follow you to NY. In addition NJ issues warrants for failing to respond to traffic tickets. 4 If you are convicted of a high speed (90+ MPH, 100+ MPH) in NJ the Judge may suspend your NJ driving privileges. 

Q: Can I pay Court fines with a CC?
A: In NYC for moving violations you can use https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay. For NYC parking tickets you can use http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/parking.shtml. As far as "upstate" Courts go, most Courts will allow you to pay with visa or mastercard in person. Many Courts have a CC sheet which you can fill in and mail back, other Courts have a third party processor such as https://www.ncourt.com to accept cc payments. Call the Court to find out what options they have. No one (so far that I have seen) will take CCs over the phone.

Q: I received a camera ticket for a red light (3 points) or speeding (3-11 points) or a bus lane violation (2 points). Do traffic tickets issued from a camera add points to my license?
A: Camera Tickets never go on your license as they are issued against the car and not the driver. Therefor a camera ticket will not add points to your license or increase your insurance.

Q: If I push a ticket off for 18 months and then I am convicted, can I still be suspended by the DMV for having more than 11 points?
A: Pushing off a ticket will not help protect you from DMV actions. The reason is as follows: if you receive 2 tickets worth 6 points each on the same day, and you plead guilty to one of them on that same day and you push the second ticket off for 5 years, and then you plead guilty to that second ticket, the DMV computer will look at the 2 dates of violation and say "the motorist accumulated (more than) 11 points within an 18 month period" and issue a persistent violator suspension against you license.

Insurance companies work the other way around. They can only raise your premium after your date of conviction. Therefore in our example the insurance companies will increase your insurance after the first conviction appears on your record when they renew your policy (which will stay on your record for 3 years and then until the next January 1st) and then they will increase your rates again after the second ticket conviction shows up on your record when they renew your policy, (once again this second ticket will stay on the record for  3 years plus until the next January first. It follows that pleading/being found guilty in December saves 11 months of policy increase, and if there is a way to lock in a one year policy right before a conviction in December you can be looking at a car increase for only 2 years and 1 day, instead of 4 years minus one day.)

Travelers Insurance offers 1 year rates.
Geico is 6 months.

Traffic Ticket Lawyers:

State
New York Attorney Matisyahu Wolfberg http://www.speedingdefense.com/
New York Attorney Zev Goldstein www.zevgoldsteinlaw.com 845-356-7770
New York Attorney Benjamin Goldman https://www.benjamingoldmanlawoffice.com/ 212-203-3810
New Jersey and New York Attorney Adam H. Rosenblum www.ticketdefenselaw.com
New Jersey Attorney Leib Klein www.avvo.com/attorneys/08701-nj-leib-klein-1602182.html 732-987-7040

Great Upstate NY lawyer at very cheap prices. http://jaydrillings.net/

Not that many parking ticket lawyers!
Parking ticket Non Lawyer (NYC)
Cathy Mei She takes 50% to fight the parking or camera ticket
Office Number 212-349-4978
Email 329ticket@gmail.com
Fax 646-699-3630

Parking Expert non attorney (718) 384-5052

Non attorney runner http://www.myticketsnyc.com/

Non attorney runner http://www.wefighttickets.com/

10+ Counties in upstate NY have diversion programs, allowing you to dismiss the ticket for a fine and defensive driving class. Conditions and restrictions apply. Check the District Attorney's website for your county: Allegany, Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Clinton, Franklin, Livingston, Orleans, Otsego, Tioga, and Wyoming.

This wiki is not legal advice, nor the advice of an attorney.

Author Topic: Moving Violation Tickets  (Read 997061 times)

Offline mnkyz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Violation Tickets
« Reply #3360 on: February 11, 2019, 11:14:35 PM »
AFAF, got a speeding ticket in Staten Island for going 31 over,  is it worth pushing off for 2 years with a lawyer (heard its impossible to fight in Staten island)if only 2 points post to my NJ license or should i just plea guilty and pay the fine and hope that insurance wont go up? TIA
I had a 29 over in construction zone in Staten island and hired a lawyer there, it took 2 years but got the vase dismissed. PM me for lawyer info

Offline Naftuli19

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #3361 on: February 11, 2019, 11:16:06 PM »
I had a 29 over in construction zone in Staten island and hired a lawyer there, it took 2 years but got the vase dismissed. PM me for lawyer info
What was the reason for the case being dismissed?
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline mnkyz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: February 11, 2019, 11:18:34 PM »
What was the reason for the case being dismissed?
Honestly not exactly sure, but I know the lawyer pushed it off a few times...he supposedly is the best in the business in Staten island. I got a letter in the mail from the state saying my case has been dismissed

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #3363 on: February 11, 2019, 11:27:49 PM »
Honestly not exactly sure, but I know the lawyer pushed it off a few times...he supposedly is the best in the business in Staten island. I got a letter in the mail from the state saying my case has been dismissed
Curios what did you pay? 

I always thought the officer needs to appear in court?
 I saw no zaychur of any officers in court? Is the officer needed only if you plead not guilty? 
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline mnkyz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: February 12, 2019, 07:30:25 AM »
I paid 375 originally to the lawyer and another 45 each time it was pushed off (twice)
I never even asked how he got it off but I received a letter back from the state saying my case was dismissed and a check for 45 dollars from the state
Never felt so good as to getting a money back from the state.

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: February 12, 2019, 10:56:17 AM »
I paid 375 originally to the lawyer and another 45 each time it was pushed off (twice)
I never even asked how he got it off but I received a letter back from the state saying my case was dismissed and a check for 45 dollars from the state
it might have been because the officer didn't show up, unless he had some serious evidence against the cop proving your innocence...
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: February 12, 2019, 11:01:14 AM »
Curios what did you pay? 

I always thought the officer needs to appear in court?
 I saw no zaychur of any officers in court? Is the officer needed only if you plead not guilty?
usually what happens is you go to court (or u send a lawyer) and they offer a plea bargain if you plea guilty, if you choose to decline the plea the judge sets a court date and the officer has to show up to testify against you, now if he dosn't show the judge will try to setup another court date and hope that the cop shows up after 2 or 3 times (every judge is diff) they will dismiss your case.

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: February 12, 2019, 11:04:05 AM »
the crazy thing about NYC is that the court has no benefit from your plea bargain (in NYS the court gets the fine money) therefor they rarely offer plea bargains.

Offline Luvisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: February 12, 2019, 01:24:00 PM »
a check from the state after u sped?! thats awesome!

Offline Hirshthg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
« Reply #3369 on: February 13, 2019, 10:07:19 PM »
Got a 6 point speeding ticket in NYC. I have a NJ license, so only 2 points transfer to NJ. My question is: if I take a defensive driving course to get 2 points removed, will my insurance go up? Do they look at my NY driving record or only my NJ record?
Taking the Defensive driving course in NY will have no affect on the points transferred to NJ, and no affect on the fine (around $550).

AFAF, got a speeding ticket in Staten Island for going 31 over,  is it worth pushing off for 2 years with a lawyer (heard its impossible to fight in Staten island)if only 2 points post to my NJ license or should i just plea guilty and pay the fine and hope that insurance wont go up? TIA
If you push off for 2 years, then are convicted, your insurance will be affected starting from the conviction date. Not impossible, but difficult to fight. The fines are around $780 and the Staten Island Judge could suspend you for this ticket alone.

If I get a mv ticket with points in brooklyn and push of the ticket for 3 years will it show on the license or effect my insurance?
In NY, yes, for up to 4 years following the conviction. See the wiki.

Got a seat belt ticket in nyc for a 13 year old in the back seat by a red light, claimed in court that the child was exiting the vehicle by the red light i brought a witness as well. The judge told me that its not legal to exit the vehicle for a child that needs seat belt, i had to pullover to the curb, judge claims that even the car is on park its still called vehicle in operation. Can i appeal this decision? is it called operating a vehicle while you are by a red light and the car is on park?

If you made the argument at the hearing, you can raise it on appeal. Its a legal question, so the appeals board is likely to consider it, if you are correct.

I'm no lawyer but if you Google the "Drivers License Compact" there are 45 states which share all driver violations with each other. If both states are part of it, the state of the violation will report the violation to the home state. Different states have different systems of how to process these violations, whether to assess points or not and how many points to assess but the violation will transfer.  Ask a lawyer in your home state how they will process the violation.

Many states go beyond their obligations under the "Drivers License Compact." But check the wiki for information on whether points transfer to NY.

usually what happens is you go to court (or u send a lawyer) and they offer a plea bargain if you plea guilty, if you choose to decline the plea the judge sets a court date and the officer has to show up to testify against you, now if he dosn't show the judge will try to setup another court date and hope that the cop shows up after 2 or 3 times (every judge is diff) they will dismiss your case.
Not in NYC: no plea deals.
There was a recent cases where a higher court required dismissal after the officer not showing up a single time, without an excuse.

On a similar topic, Alan Simon is removed from the bench and the bar, due to how he spoke to people in court. https://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/rockland/spring-valley/2019/02/13/state-court-disbars-spring-valley-mayor-alan-simon-attorney/2862494002/

Offline cashforphone123

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: February 14, 2019, 03:04:40 PM »
In NYC after I pushed off my ticket twice, and now need to post a bond to push it off a third time do I need to have a good excuse?

Offline Hirshthg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
« Reply #3371 on: February 17, 2019, 02:06:55 AM »
In NYC after I pushed off my ticket twice, and now need to post a bond to push it off a third time do I need to have a good excuse?
nope, just post.
Next time they might suspend you during the adjournment.

Offline cashforphone123

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: February 17, 2019, 08:50:06 PM »
What does this mean "might suspend you during the adjournment"? it's a 2 point ticket.

Offline Wizard

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: February 25, 2019, 11:25:20 AM »
I have a u turn moving violation in NYC. I already pushed off the hearing once hoping it would make the points not affect my insurance but then I read the wiki here 😢. The hearing is coming up again. Should I just plead guilty online and pay etc or is it smart to miss the hearing and hope the cop doesn’t show up either (or that wouldn’t help if I don’t show)? Any guidance = greatly appreciated and a like 😊
If you are trying to get my attention/assistance and I'm not responding, please feel free to PM me. :)

Offline MeirS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: February 25, 2019, 11:28:57 AM »
Where can I find info on fighting a ticket in writing in the state of Florida or if that's at all possible?

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #3375 on: February 26, 2019, 01:25:12 AM »
Are there any specific lawyers that deal primarily with speeding cameras? I have clear proof that I was not speeding and that the ticket was issued to the wrong vehicle, I submitted the proof and my evidence to the department of finance will see what happens, and if it comes back that I'm guilty I would want to hire a lawyer to see what he can do for me but then again the Ticket is only $50 so don't know what his gain would be?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: February 26, 2019, 02:06:57 AM »
Try Larry from newyorkparkingticket.com. He's great and very helpful and would definitely be interested in helping you out if he can. Right now you have to wait to see what they answer back and then maybe Larry can help you appeal if necessary or you can appeal on your own. Good luck!
If you are trying to get my attention/assistance and I'm not responding, please feel free to PM me. :)

Offline popcorn1508

• View Profile
  • Programs: national executive elite, hertz presidents circle
« Reply #3377 on: February 27, 2019, 12:20:29 AM »
Are there any specific lawyers that deal primarily with speeding cameras? I have clear proof that I was not speeding and that the ticket was issued to the wrong vehicle, I submitted the proof and my evidence to the department of finance will see what happens, and if it comes back that I'm guilty I would want to hire a lawyer to see what he can do for me but then again the Ticket is only $50 so don't know what his gain would be?
just out of curiosity what proof do you have?

Offline Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: February 27, 2019, 12:47:18 AM »
Yeh I’m also curious. There are barely any ways to beat a camera violation.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: February 28, 2019, 02:24:17 AM »
just out of curiosity what proof do you have?
if I get a minute I can post a video for you guys and you can see for yourself and you tell me what you think.

basically I was driving down Coney island avenue in Brooklyn while me being in the left lane I was following the flow of traffic ahead of me going around 35 miles per hour which is 100% legal, you're allowed to go 10 miles over the posted speed limit without having a camera flash, now on the right of me there was a car going 40-45 miles per hour which causes the speed camera to go off, now the ticket I received in the mail says I was going 40 miles per hour which I know is false as I was following the cars ahead of me, if in fact I was going 40 that means the cars ahead of me should have also got a speeding ticket.

but if that is not enough of a proof, as why would it be? every person that got a speeding ticket can say I wasn't going 40 miles per hour.
 as soon as I received a ticket in the mail claiming I was going 40 miles per hour, I used my reference number to look up my video and picture that was taken of me supposedly going 40 miles per hour, looked at the picture closely took down the car on the right of me who's going 40-45 miles  plate number and ran in the department of finance system to see if he actually got a ticket because if I was going 40 which is what the camera is saying that means the person riding on the other side of me had to been going 45 50 miles per hour and for sure should have gotten a ticket, but to my surprise the person on the right of me never received a ticket I've been looking on a daily basis or rather every other day haven't seen it in the system.
  Now it takes the department of finance a few weeks to issue the ticket but before the ticket is actually mailed out your plate number is already in the system that you were speeding so unless he actually went ahead and paid his ticket before he even received the letter in the mail claiming  he was going over the speed limit.
  I don't know if he went ahead and paid it.
 But if it did go ahead and paid it , so that would explain why I never saw his taking in the system then my claim would be worth not much.
   My assumptions are he never got a ticket.
Now I don't know how the speed cameras work, don't know if you can kill two birds with one stone, if you see in the video one car going 40 which is what the camera allegedly is saying I'm doing that means the person on the right was doing 50. so don't know if they can mark on the ticket that he was going 50 when the camera only has it reported as going 40 and if you see him going 40 that means I had to be going 30-35 so you can't give two people tickets for one person going 40 which is what the camera says and then another person going double my speed and still say he's going 40mph.

I wrote this with text to speech so hope you can understand with what I wrote or rather with what the phone understood.

waiting to hear back from the department of finance and we'll see what they have to say.