Topic Wiki

This thread discusses speeding tickets and traffic tickets in the state of New York. For parking tickets go here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15090.0 or here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=23665.msg1088489. For moving violations outside of New York, please start a new thread and add a link here.

If you have a specific question please use this template so that members will have enough information to answer.
The ticket was issued in this state:
The ticket is returnable to in this Town/Village/City:
I have a license from this state:
Regular or Commercial license:
Ticket one:
Ticket two(ex):
Accident?:
I want information on "do it yourself":
I want information on "hire an attorney":
I want both:

Please read this wiki first. I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

Q: Can I get a plea bargain in New York City?
A: No. Every single ticket goes to trial, guilty or not guilty, in New York City. (The 5 boroughs of NY, Kings, Queens, Bronx and Richmond.)

Q: How long does it take for points to fall off your New York State record/license/abstract?
A: For DMV persistent violation purposes 18 months from the date of offense regardless of the date of conviction. At 3 years after the date of conviction on the following January first the points are no longer visible on the driving record which insurance companies and traffic prosecutors look at. DMV always keeps a record of your conviction and if you get too many points over your lifetime you could get a "10 year" revocation, however those records are not visible to insurance companies.

Q: Does it pay to fight my NY ticket or should I just pay it?
A: In order to figure the true cost of a traffic ticket conviction (aside from figuring out the total fines and the effects on your record) you need to call up your insurance company and ask them 2 questions. 1. How much will my insurance go up over the next 4 years if I pay this ticket? 2. How much money in "good driver discounts" will I loss over the next 4 years and how much does this add up to?

The reason you need to ask these 2 questions separately is because the insurance companies "shield themselves" from the statutory requirement to not raise insurance rates for a first violation (or speeds up to 15 MPH) by granting "good driver discounts", and then taking away these good driver discounts when you get your first violation. Therefore the (technically) correct answer to the first question you ask them could be "your insurance will not be raised at all". Then when you ask them the second question the answer may be in the thousands of dollars over the next 4 years, depending on your insurance bracket.

Q: How can I find my New York ticket online? 
A: If it is New York City ticket you can find it at https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay if you received a ticket anywhere outside of NYC and anywhere upstate you must contact the individual Court by phone or mail. There is no way to find your ticket online. Google is not able to find most small Courts as it get confused with giving you the most popular courts and attorneys, therefore I suggest you look up your Court at at www.town-court.com.

Q: How can I get a copy of my NYS driving record/license/abstract?
A: You can buy it at the statutory minimum of $7 at https://my.dmv.ny.gov/crm

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a regular non CDL NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no they will not.

Q: Do NY tickets show up on NJ licenses?
A: Yes as a 2 point out of state conviction (most violations).

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no. Exceptions 1. if you have a CDL the NJ conviction will record on your NY license. 2. DUI/DWI and criminal driving convictions from NJ do record on your NY license. 3. as stated above if you don't respond to the ticket the suspension will follow you to NY. In addition NJ issues warrants for failing to respond to traffic tickets. 4 If you are convicted of a high speed (90+ MPH, 100+ MPH) in NJ the Judge may suspend your NJ driving privileges. 

Q: Can I pay Court fines with a CC?
A: In NYC for moving violations you can use https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay. For NYC parking tickets you can use http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/parking.shtml. As far as "upstate" Courts go, most Courts will allow you to pay with visa or mastercard in person. Many Courts have a CC sheet which you can fill in and mail back, other Courts have a third party processor such as https://www.ncourt.com to accept cc payments. Call the Court to find out what options they have. No one (so far that I have seen) will take CCs over the phone.

Q: I received a camera ticket for a red light (3 points) or speeding (3-11 points) or a bus lane violation (2 points). Do traffic tickets issued from a camera add points to my license?
A: Camera Tickets never go on your license as they are issued against the car and not the driver. Therefor a camera ticket will not add points to your license or increase your insurance.

Q: If I push a ticket off for 18 months and then I am convicted, can I still be suspended by the DMV for having more than 11 points?
A: Pushing off a ticket will not help protect you from DMV actions. The reason is as follows: if you receive 2 tickets worth 6 points each on the same day, and you plead guilty to one of them on that same day and you push the second ticket off for 5 years, and then you plead guilty to that second ticket, the DMV computer will look at the 2 dates of violation and say "the motorist accumulated (more than) 11 points within an 18 month period" and issue a persistent violator suspension against you license.

Insurance companies work the other way around. They can only raise your premium after your date of conviction. Therefore in our example the insurance companies will increase your insurance after the first conviction appears on your record when they renew your policy (which will stay on your record for 3 years and then until the next January 1st) and then they will increase your rates again after the second ticket conviction shows up on your record when they renew your policy, (once again this second ticket will stay on the record for  3 years plus until the next January first. It follows that pleading/being found guilty in December saves 11 months of policy increase, and if there is a way to lock in a one year policy right before a conviction in December you can be looking at a car increase for only 2 years and 1 day, instead of 4 years minus one day.)

Travelers Insurance offers 1 year rates.
Geico is 6 months.

Traffic Ticket Lawyers:

State
New York Attorney Matisyahu Wolfberg http://www.speedingdefense.com/
New York Attorney Zev Goldstein www.zevgoldsteinlaw.com 845-356-7770
New York Attorney Benjamin Goldman https://www.benjamingoldmanlawoffice.com/ 212-203-3810
New Jersey and New York Attorney Adam H. Rosenblum www.ticketdefenselaw.com
New Jersey Attorney Leib Klein www.avvo.com/attorneys/08701-nj-leib-klein-1602182.html 732-987-7040

Great Upstate NY lawyer at very cheap prices. http://jaydrillings.net/

Not that many parking ticket lawyers!
Parking ticket Non Lawyer (NYC)
Cathy Mei She takes 50% to fight the parking or camera ticket
Office Number 212-349-4978
Email 329ticket@gmail.com
Fax 646-699-3630

Parking Expert non attorney (718) 384-5052

Non attorney runner http://www.myticketsnyc.com/

Non attorney runner http://www.wefighttickets.com/

10+ Counties in upstate NY have diversion programs, allowing you to dismiss the ticket for a fine and defensive driving class. Conditions and restrictions apply. Check the District Attorney's website for your county: Allegany, Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Clinton, Franklin, Livingston, Orleans, Otsego, Tioga, and Wyoming.

This wiki is not legal advice, nor the advice of an attorney.

Author Topic: Moving Violation Tickets  (Read 997079 times)

Offline Naftuli19

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
Re: Moving Violation Tickets
« Reply #3420 on: April 08, 2019, 04:11:32 PM »
With my limited experience (5 moving violations tix in 20+ years of driving) I can safely say that NYC was the one place where there was no plea deal offered pre-trial - in any form. Thankfully the judge was sympathetic, and dismissed my case - here are the details:

Long story shot, my dad had a heart condition, and was scheduled to have surgery. Two days before the surgery, his heart acted up and he was taken to the ER. I was his health care proxy, and wanted to make sure I was there in person if any decisions needed to be made, as well as to make sure he was transferred to the hospital where the surgery was to take place. I got in my car and started driving. I was clocked at 80+ in a50mph zone in NYC. When I was pulled over, I explained the situation to the police officer in a very calm manner. He went back to his car,  wrote me a ticket with 6 points (2 points for every 10mph over the limit), and told me that he was sorry for the situation, but if I explained it to the judge with documentation, that the judge would take it under consideration.

Fast forward about 1.5 years - when I finally got my court date. I went to the judge with the following documents: An ER Admission letter, a letter from my Dad's doctor listing the surgery date and that he was admitted to the ER on the date of the violation and was transferred for the surgery. I also had a copy of my health care proxy letter, and my dad's Death Certificate as well (although the surgery was successful, he died a month later due to an adverse reaction to his medication). I explained my case to the judge, including my conversation with the officer, and here was my documentation.

The judge then turns to the officer, and asks " - do you recall if he told you that he was on the way to the hospital." To which the officer replied " No". I was livid, I used every ounce of my self-control to not completely go ballistic. The judge asked me what I had to say about this, I calmed down, and responded - " Your honor, with all due respect to Officer ____, he is a traffic officer, and stops dozens of other individuals for speeding on a daily basis, so I can only imagine that he'd forgotten the details of a case with a person he had pulled over 15 months ago. I don't get pulled over, and it was one of the worst days of my life - I know exactly what happened. I remember the conversation vividly, which is exactly why I brought this documentation with me today." He then questioned, why I, as a health care proxy, would need to be there if my dad was already in the ER. As the line of questions continued, I became more emotional, having to re-hash my dad's illness and eventual death. I am not sure what exactly did it, but I think ultimately he realized the sincerity, and dismissed the case.

i have gotten my fare share of tickets in NY and NJ  but i have 2 friends that everyone in the court house remembers them on 1st name basis, everyone agrees NYC is the worst they don't gain anything by giving u a plea as in other states therefore there is no reason for them to plea with u, and NYPD cops have literally nothing to do with their time so chances of getting a ticket dismissed is near to impossible and plea is the same...

side story. i was clocked on palisades doing btw 10 and 20 over was able to get it down to a dumping violation, was clocked on GSP doing 99 in 55 (was actually going faster but i guess the cop had no patience arresting me) got a plea for 1 to 10 over limit and so on... got 1 stupid ticket on FDR doing 15 over hired a good lawyer and he got nowhere had to pay fine and lawyer fee and all he did was push it off
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline dsw193

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: April 08, 2019, 04:50:26 PM »
all they do is push it off and hope that the cop dosnt show up which usually never happens in NYC (NYPD cops are really board) or for 18m and then they plea guilty and u pay the fine. i never heard of anyone that received a plea in NYC
There's one subtle difference. My lawyer actually waits to see of the cop showed up before pushing it off.

Offline Moe Ginsburg

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: April 08, 2019, 07:53:24 PM »
+1, though the strategy is generally to push it off so much, so that by the time one is found guilty, the points are ready to fall off almost as soon as they appear (they aren't there until one is found guilty).
With moving violations there's two issues regarding points. 1) How the state DMV treats it regarding potentially suspending or sanctioning your license based on the accrued points and 2) How your car insurance carrier treats the points. They are essentially two different issues.

Regarding 1. with the DMV, in New York (and probably most states) the DMV looks backwards to the the date the violation was issued. If within any 18 month period the driver accrued too many points, the DMV will suspend/sanction his license. Even if violation was only found guilty three years after the violation date (i.e. the date the driver was pulled over), if retroactively that means three years ago the driver accrued enough points (within the 18 month window the ticket was issued) to be suspended, the DMV will suspend the license now after it was found guilty. Even though there were no other violations in the last three years (in this example.)

Regarding 2. with the insurance carriers, most insurance carriers in NY use the date of conviction and not the date the violation was issued to determine how they penalize the insured. i.e. higher premiums, dropped coverage, etc.

So, at least in theory, delaying a guilty verdict for any amount of time in New York does not help the motorist.

Now, it seems a minority of insurance carriers still use the date the violation was issued and not the date it was found guilty. That was originally how all NY automobile insurance carriers handled it until about eight or nine years ago. (Which is why many people still think it helps to delay a guilty verdict, as that used to be true.) So if your insurance still treats it the old way (and AFAIK none of the major brand name carriers still do that), it indeed does help to delay a guilty verdict.

But it still doesn't help with the DMV points and potential suspensions, in any event. (Unless the ALJ who rules on the tickets guilt specifically waives the points for such an old ticket. A good lawyer can help in that regard.)

Offline Moe Ginsburg

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: April 08, 2019, 07:57:42 PM »
Depending on which state, the points can transfer to your license.

The last I checked a handful or two of years ago, NY points only transfer to out of state licenses issued in Michigan, Ontario and Quebec. (I may be off by one state/province, but definitely not NJ.) It's been like that for many decades but possibly changed in the last 5+ years. Similarly, NY will (unless it's changed) only count out-of-state points for NY licenses issued by those three state/provinces.

NY was unique in this regard as it was only one of a small handful of states that didn't accept/send points from/to most states.

An exception to the above rule was if the motorist ignored the violation and didn't either pay it or be found not guilty. In that case the points often did get on the license even if it were from one of the majority of other states.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 08:01:20 PM by Moe Ginsburg »

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: April 08, 2019, 08:00:08 PM »
The last I checked a handful or two of years ago, NY points only transfer to out of state licenses issued in Michigan, Ontario and Quebec. (I may be off by one state/province, but definitely not NJ.) It's been like that for many decades but possibly changed in the last 5+ years. Similarly, NY will (unless it's changed) only count out-of-state points for NY licenses issued by those three state/provinces.
-1 NJ will accept up to 2 points per ticket issued in NY.

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: April 09, 2019, 09:29:18 AM »
-1 NJ will accept up to 2 points per ticket issued in NY.
NJ will issue 2 points per OOS ticket regardless of how many points are issued by the state in which the violation took place.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: April 09, 2019, 11:05:33 AM »
With moving violations there's two issues regarding points. 1) How the state DMV treats it regarding potentially suspending or sanctioning your license based on the accrued points and 2) How your car insurance carrier treats the points. They are essentially two different issues.

Regarding 1. with the DMV, in New York (and probably most states) the DMV looks backwards to the the date the violation was issued. If within any 18 month period the driver accrued too many points, the DMV will suspend/sanction his license. Even if violation was only found guilty three years after the violation date (i.e. the date the driver was pulled over), if retroactively that means three years ago the driver accrued enough points (within the 18 month window the ticket was issued) to be suspended, the DMV will suspend the license now after it was found guilty. Even though there were no other violations in the last three years (in this example.)

Regarding 2. with the insurance carriers, most insurance carriers in NY use the date of conviction and not the date the violation was issued to determine how they penalize the insured. i.e. higher premiums, dropped coverage, etc.

So, at least in theory, delaying a guilty verdict for any amount of time in New York does not help the motorist.

Now, it seems a minority of insurance carriers still use the date the violation was issued and not the date it was found guilty. That was originally how all NY automobile insurance carriers handled it until about eight or nine years ago. (Which is why many people still think it helps to delay a guilty verdict, as that used to be true.) So if your insurance still treats it the old way (and AFAIK none of the major brand name carriers still do that), it indeed does help to delay a guilty verdict.

But it still doesn't help with the DMV points and potential suspensions, in any event. (Unless the ALJ who rules on the tickets guilt specifically waives the points for such an old ticket. A good lawyer can help in that regard.)
regarding insurance it will only go up if you change insurance companies or for some reason the do a full driving record check.
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: April 12, 2019, 01:23:37 AM »
Anyone know for sure if a CT ticket with a NY DL will show up on the NY record? Seems @Moe Ginsburg feels pretty confident it's not going to transfer. I have to decide if its worth shlepping back up there to get it off my record(the record being the more important part) or just pay the $ and it won't transfer.

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: April 12, 2019, 01:33:45 AM »
Anyone know for sure if a CT ticket with a NY DL will show up on the NY record? Seems @Moe Ginsburg feels pretty confident it's not going to transfer. I have to decide if its worth shlepping back up there to get it off my record(the record being the more important part) or just pay the $ and it won't transfer.
https://traffictickets.com/new-york/traffic-tickets/out-of-state-license/connecticut/
Quik google search, best bet call a lawyer.

Offline Moe Ginsburg

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: April 12, 2019, 07:01:40 AM »
regarding insurance it will only go up if you change insurance companies or for some reason the do a full driving record check.

I believe most insurance companies periodically (i.e. every year or so) does a full record check.

Offline Moe Ginsburg

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: April 12, 2019, 08:07:45 AM »

From the official New York State Department of Motor Vehicles website:

https://dmv.ny.gov/tickets-received-another-state

What happens if I get a traffic ticket in another state?

Your NY State Driver License will be suspended if you fail to answer a ticket for a moving violation in any state except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon or Wisconsin. Your license will remain suspended until you answer the ticket. Likewise, drivers from any state, except those from the six states listed above, will have their driver licenses suspended in their own state for failure to answer a moving violation in New York State.

The New York State DMV does not record out-of-state convictions of moving traffic violations of New York State non-commercial licensed drivers, except for traffic offenses committed in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec in Canada.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 08:11:03 AM by Moe Ginsburg »

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: April 12, 2019, 10:52:19 AM »
I believe most insurance companies periodically (i.e. every year or so) does a full record check.
not what i was told unless u give them a reason to like moving from NY to NJ or switching insurance etc... , my insurance would've skyrocketed if that was the case ;) ;) :D

Offline Moe Ginsburg

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: April 12, 2019, 11:08:07 AM »
not what i was told unless u give them a reason to like moving from NY to NJ or switching insurance etc... , my insurance would've skyrocketed if that was the case ;) ;) :D
How else does one's automobile insurance carrier know when a client received moving violations?

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: April 17, 2019, 02:35:48 PM »
Is there any point in trying to fight an improper turn ticket for failing to signal before turning? The guy had me turn on my blinker to see that it's working and then went to the front and back of the car to have it recorded with his body cam  ::)

If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline WAM

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: April 18, 2019, 09:39:55 PM »
IMO, he should've paid it so that it doesn't get extra scrutiny later when it remains unpaid. But how did he find out that driving privileges were suspended due to non-payment (given that he provided incorrect information)?

I assume there's some risk of more serious issues if the police somehow determine he gave incorrect information (such as DOB). You could still likely cause a mismatch by using a legitimate short/religious/nickname for the first name even if providing an accurate DOB.

He gave an address of somebody that he knew. The first and last names weren't spelled correctly, the birthdate was amended just a bit.
They wouldn't find him if he were pulled over because that name and dob don't exist.
It was many years ago and they never sent anything else after that letter suspending his driving privileges in CT.

Offline WAM

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3435 on: April 18, 2019, 09:42:54 PM »
Ye and a friend of mine was arrested for lying to cops with wrong info,
Yep. Definitely a bad idea - but it worked out.

Offline nafnaf12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: April 18, 2019, 09:57:12 PM »
Monroe township
Disobeying traffic sign
Am I ok going to court myself?
Clean record
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline KSMH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: April 18, 2019, 10:55:19 PM »
Monroe township
Disobeying traffic sign
Am I ok going to court myself?
Clean record

You mean NJ?

Dont have experience in that particular Township, but usally you can plead to Obstruction or Delayed Traffic.

If you have a hard time with the prosecutor you can always try hiring the public defender on the spot privately for a few bucks.

Dont plead to unsafe driving and pay in the 4-5 range.

If u need more info PM me.

NOT A LAWYER
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 11:50:17 PM by KSMH »
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline nafnaf12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: April 19, 2019, 12:00:21 PM »
You mean NJ?

Dont have experience in that particular Township, but usally you can plead to Obstruction or Delayed Traffic.

If you have a hard time with the prosecutor you can always try hiring the public defender on the spot privately for a few bucks.

Dont plead to unsafe driving and pay in the 4-5 range.

If u need more info PM me.

NOT A LAWYER
Monroe/KJ NY
thanks, was looking for an answer in regards to this court specifically.
I know in Ramapo all they will usually change it to a parking/pump ticket
Hoping that's the case here as well.
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline popcorn1508

• View Profile
  • Programs: national executive elite, hertz presidents circle
« Reply #3439 on: April 22, 2019, 07:26:06 AM »
Going 83 in a 70 zone in Virginia charged with law section 74-1/A46.2-862

From quick search online in seems it's a misdemeanor any advice or contacts for a lawyer.