Topic Wiki

This thread discusses speeding tickets and traffic tickets in the state of New York. For parking tickets go here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15090.0 or here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=23665.msg1088489. For moving violations outside of New York, please start a new thread and add a link here.

If you have a specific question please use this template so that members will have enough information to answer.
The ticket was issued in this state:
The ticket is returnable to in this Town/Village/City:
I have a license from this state:
Regular or Commercial license:
Ticket one:
Ticket two(ex):
Accident?:
I want information on "do it yourself":
I want information on "hire an attorney":
I want both:

Please read this wiki first. I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

Q: Can I get a plea bargain in New York City?
A: No. Every single ticket goes to trial, guilty or not guilty, in New York City. (The 5 boroughs of NY, Kings, Queens, Bronx and Richmond.)

Q: How long does it take for points to fall off your New York State record/license/abstract?
A: For DMV persistent violation purposes 18 months from the date of offense regardless of the date of conviction. At 3 years after the date of conviction on the following January first the points are no longer visible on the driving record which insurance companies and traffic prosecutors look at. DMV always keeps a record of your conviction and if you get too many points over your lifetime you could get a "10 year" revocation, however those records are not visible to insurance companies.

Q: Does it pay to fight my NY ticket or should I just pay it?
A: In order to figure the true cost of a traffic ticket conviction (aside from figuring out the total fines and the effects on your record) you need to call up your insurance company and ask them 2 questions. 1. How much will my insurance go up over the next 4 years if I pay this ticket? 2. How much money in "good driver discounts" will I loss over the next 4 years and how much does this add up to?

The reason you need to ask these 2 questions separately is because the insurance companies "shield themselves" from the statutory requirement to not raise insurance rates for a first violation (or speeds up to 15 MPH) by granting "good driver discounts", and then taking away these good driver discounts when you get your first violation. Therefore the (technically) correct answer to the first question you ask them could be "your insurance will not be raised at all". Then when you ask them the second question the answer may be in the thousands of dollars over the next 4 years, depending on your insurance bracket.

Q: How can I find my New York ticket online? 
A: If it is New York City ticket you can find it at https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay if you received a ticket anywhere outside of NYC and anywhere upstate you must contact the individual Court by phone or mail. There is no way to find your ticket online. Google is not able to find most small Courts as it get confused with giving you the most popular courts and attorneys, therefore I suggest you look up your Court at at www.town-court.com.

Q: How can I get a copy of my NYS driving record/license/abstract?
A: You can buy it at the statutory minimum of $7 at https://my.dmv.ny.gov/crm

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a regular non CDL NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no they will not.

Q: Do NY tickets show up on NJ licenses?
A: Yes as a 2 point out of state conviction (most violations).

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no. Exceptions 1. if you have a CDL the NJ conviction will record on your NY license. 2. DUI/DWI and criminal driving convictions from NJ do record on your NY license. 3. as stated above if you don't respond to the ticket the suspension will follow you to NY. In addition NJ issues warrants for failing to respond to traffic tickets. 4 If you are convicted of a high speed (90+ MPH, 100+ MPH) in NJ the Judge may suspend your NJ driving privileges. 

Q: Can I pay Court fines with a CC?
A: In NYC for moving violations you can use https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay. For NYC parking tickets you can use http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/parking.shtml. As far as "upstate" Courts go, most Courts will allow you to pay with visa or mastercard in person. Many Courts have a CC sheet which you can fill in and mail back, other Courts have a third party processor such as https://www.ncourt.com to accept cc payments. Call the Court to find out what options they have. No one (so far that I have seen) will take CCs over the phone.

Q: I received a camera ticket for a red light (3 points) or speeding (3-11 points) or a bus lane violation (2 points). Do traffic tickets issued from a camera add points to my license?
A: Camera Tickets never go on your license as they are issued against the car and not the driver. Therefor a camera ticket will not add points to your license or increase your insurance.

Q: If I push a ticket off for 18 months and then I am convicted, can I still be suspended by the DMV for having more than 11 points?
A: Pushing off a ticket will not help protect you from DMV actions. The reason is as follows: if you receive 2 tickets worth 6 points each on the same day, and you plead guilty to one of them on that same day and you push the second ticket off for 5 years, and then you plead guilty to that second ticket, the DMV computer will look at the 2 dates of violation and say "the motorist accumulated (more than) 11 points within an 18 month period" and issue a persistent violator suspension against you license.

Insurance companies work the other way around. They can only raise your premium after your date of conviction. Therefore in our example the insurance companies will increase your insurance after the first conviction appears on your record when they renew your policy (which will stay on your record for 3 years and then until the next January 1st) and then they will increase your rates again after the second ticket conviction shows up on your record when they renew your policy, (once again this second ticket will stay on the record for  3 years plus until the next January first. It follows that pleading/being found guilty in December saves 11 months of policy increase, and if there is a way to lock in a one year policy right before a conviction in December you can be looking at a car increase for only 2 years and 1 day, instead of 4 years minus one day.)

Travelers Insurance offers 1 year rates.
Geico is 6 months.

Traffic Ticket Lawyers:

State
New York Attorney Matisyahu Wolfberg http://www.speedingdefense.com/
New York Attorney Zev Goldstein www.zevgoldsteinlaw.com 845-356-7770
New York Attorney Benjamin Goldman https://www.benjamingoldmanlawoffice.com/ 212-203-3810
New Jersey and New York Attorney Adam H. Rosenblum www.ticketdefenselaw.com
New Jersey Attorney Leib Klein www.avvo.com/attorneys/08701-nj-leib-klein-1602182.html 732-987-7040

Great Upstate NY lawyer at very cheap prices. http://jaydrillings.net/

Not that many parking ticket lawyers!
Parking ticket Non Lawyer (NYC)
Cathy Mei She takes 50% to fight the parking or camera ticket
Office Number 212-349-4978
Email 329ticket@gmail.com
Fax 646-699-3630

Parking Expert non attorney (718) 384-5052

Non attorney runner http://www.myticketsnyc.com/

Non attorney runner http://www.wefighttickets.com/

10+ Counties in upstate NY have diversion programs, allowing you to dismiss the ticket for a fine and defensive driving class. Conditions and restrictions apply. Check the District Attorney's website for your county: Allegany, Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Clinton, Franklin, Livingston, Orleans, Otsego, Tioga, and Wyoming.

This wiki is not legal advice, nor the advice of an attorney.

Author Topic: Moving Violation Tickets  (Read 997020 times)

Offline Danlover111

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Violation Tickets
« Reply #3800 on: December 07, 2021, 04:05:28 PM »

Offline WonderingYid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: December 07, 2021, 04:06:59 PM »
no
Fight it. Wouldn't recommend just ignoring it.

Offline Positive energy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: December 12, 2021, 07:42:30 AM »
Anyine can reccomend a good traffic attorney in NJ with first hand good experience?
Thanks

Offline WonderingYid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: December 12, 2021, 12:42:09 PM »
Anyine can reccomend a good traffic attorney in NJ with first hand good experience?
Thanks
For what violation?

Offline FG

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: December 15, 2021, 10:57:48 AM »
I got a speeding ticket in Ramapo NY, the "date of offen" was 05/26/2021 and that's how it is on the ticket, but by the "date affirm" it has 05/26/20, which looks like a mistake by the officer.
Should i try to fight this, or just accept a plea?
Any advice is appreciated.

Offline Therebbesbocher

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: January 10, 2022, 12:47:26 PM »
I got a plea deal that has a line for defense attorney signature.
Does that need to be signed for me to submit it? I don't have a lawyer

Offline WAM

• View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: January 11, 2022, 10:47:48 PM »
I got a speeding ticket in Ramapo NY, the "date of offen" was 05/26/2021 and that's how it is on the ticket, but by the "date affirm" it has 05/26/20, which looks like a mistake by the officer.
Should i try to fight this, or just accept a plea?
Any advice is appreciated.
My recent experience with Ramapo has been if you plead not guilty, they will mail you a plea deal. If you don't like it, you can fight it at that point. However, I never got to that point - they dismissed  two tickets (both from the same trooper for the same offense - not signaling before lane change - 6 months apart).

Offline YouKnow

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: January 19, 2022, 10:24:29 AM »
Let me tell you my story, might be it was already mentioned elsewhere but I can't find it.
So I was travelling on Viola rd cor. union in Monsey a cop was behind me and he pulled me, he claims I was passing a school bus with red lights fleshing. He also observed me pulling over my seat belts while he pulled me.
Now I don't remember seeing a bus with stop sign on, I would never pass it, but he claims it was 2 cars in front of me who also passed by and that the road is pretty wide with a turning lane and safety zone in between directions, so might just be I focused on the front and missed the bus.
However I have now 2 tickets. What would be my best option? If I mail it in not guilty I will get a favorable offer without points on my own? Or would I need to hire a lawyer for this?
All comments are greatly appreciated.

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: January 19, 2022, 11:00:05 AM »
Let me tell you my story, might be it was already mentioned elsewhere but I can't find it.
So I was travelling on Viola rd cor. union in Monsey a cop was behind me and he pulled me, he claims I was passing a school bus with red lights fleshing. He also observed me pulling over my seat belts while he pulled me.
Now I don't remember seeing a bus with stop sign on, I would never pass it, but he claims it was 2 cars in front of me who also passed by and that the road is pretty wide with a turning lane and safety zone in between directions, so might just be I focused on the front and missed the bus.
However I have now 2 tickets. What would be my best option? If I mail it in not guilty I will get a favorable offer without points on my own? Or would I need to hire a lawyer for this?
I can't help you with the tickets, but I'd like to welcome you to DDF.

Offline YouKnow

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: January 19, 2022, 02:33:43 PM »
I can't help you with the tickets, but I'd like to welcome you to DDF.
Thanks

Offline YouKnow

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3810 on: January 20, 2022, 11:47:31 AM »
Let me repost my question according to the rules:
The ticket was issued in NY state in Rockland County
The ticket is returnable to New Hempstead Village Court in New City NY
I have regular license in NY state
Ticket 1 is failed to stop by a school bus with fleshing lights
Ticket 2 is no seatbelt
I want information on "Do it yourself" and "Hire an attorney"

Thanks in advance.

Offline treehugger

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Globalist Hyatt, Hertz Presidents Circle
« Reply #3811 on: January 20, 2022, 08:20:32 PM »
Ticket was issued in: FL
ticket is returnable to: Miami-Dade
I have a license from: NJ
Ticket 1: speeding 10-14 over
I want information on do it yourself: if it’s simple I’ll do it myself
I want information on an attorney: for sure to get rid of the points- a google search brings up trafficticketteam.com no clue if they are any good.
TYIA for all the help

Offline chbochur

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: February 03, 2022, 10:58:56 AM »
Florida license Ticket issued in NYC in 2018 for speeding. Court date pushed off bounch of times. Missed the court date on 2/1/22 spoke to judge and he said the closest date he can give me is 3/8/22. Issue is he said the will be a temporary suspension in nys on my license until then.

I have since changed my license to a NY license. Will this effect my driving privileges on my NY license or no need to worry cause the ticket is on my old Florida license?
Tia

Offline emx72

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: February 08, 2022, 12:20:59 PM »
Ticket was issued in: NYC
I have a license from: Florida
Ticket issued: for holding a cellphone (electronic device)

I understand that FL won't apply these points to the license if found guilty, but the car is registered & Insured in NYS, will the insurance count these points upon renewal here in NY ?

Offline TwoShoeLou

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: February 18, 2022, 01:31:54 PM »
Ticket was issued in: NYC
I have a license from: Florida
Ticket issued: for holding a cellphone (electronic device)

I understand that FL won't apply these points to the license if found guilty, but the car is registered & Insured in NYS, will the insurance count these points upon renewal here in NY ?

I would think so, but you should still speak with an attorney just to be sure. You may be able to get the points reduced if you hire an attorney. I spoke to Benjamin Goldman in the past for something similar https://suspendedlicensenyc.com/

Offline Moshe26

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: February 25, 2022, 10:10:04 AM »
got a cellphone ticket back in 2017- kept pushing it off and now i cant do it online anymore so my court date is next month. my question is if i plea guilty, will i still get the 5 points on my license or do the points never actually hit bc the violation was over 5 years ago? TIA

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: February 25, 2022, 10:20:31 AM »
got a cellphone ticket back in 2017- kept pushing it off and now i cant do it online anymore so my court date is next month. my question is if i plea guilty, will i still get the 5 points on my license or do the points never actually hit bc the violation was over 5 years ago? TIA
I’d like to know the answer to your question as well. I’m just mentioning that I have a similar ticket from 2019 and since the first court date in 2020 about three weeks before the court date I get a letter that they are pushing it off 11 months. So far my court date is in 2023 without me calling once. Daven for them to push it off. Mine was a Brooklyn ticket

Offline Moshe26

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: February 25, 2022, 10:42:33 AM »
I’d like to know the answer to your question as well. I’m just mentioning that I have a similar ticket from 2019 and since the first court date in 2020 about three weeks before the court date I get a letter that they are pushing it off 11 months. So far my court date is in 2023 without me calling once. Daven for them to push it off. Mine was a Brooklyn ticket
yes mine was the same location- originally my court date was 2019 then i pushed it off to 2020 but then got letter in mail that it was pushed off to March 2022.

Offline chbochur

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: February 25, 2022, 02:55:03 PM »
If you're license is from ny I'm pretty sure not.

Offline WAM

• View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: March 01, 2022, 01:36:33 AM »
Post your q again using the template in the wiki