Topic Wiki

This thread discusses speeding tickets and traffic tickets in the state of New York. For parking tickets go here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15090.0 or here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=23665.msg1088489. For moving violations outside of New York, please start a new thread and add a link here.

If you have a specific question please use this template so that members will have enough information to answer.
The ticket was issued in this state:
The ticket is returnable to in this Town/Village/City:
I have a license from this state:
Regular or Commercial license:
Ticket one:
Ticket two(ex):
Accident?:
I want information on "do it yourself":
I want information on "hire an attorney":
I want both:

Please read this wiki first. I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

Q: Can I get a plea bargain in New York City?
A: No. Every single ticket goes to trial, guilty or not guilty, in New York City. (The 5 boroughs of NY, Kings, Queens, Bronx and Richmond.)

Q: How long does it take for points to fall off your New York State record/license/abstract?
A: For DMV persistent violation purposes 18 months from the date of offense regardless of the date of conviction. At 3 years after the date of conviction on the following January first the points are no longer visible on the driving record which insurance companies and traffic prosecutors look at. DMV always keeps a record of your conviction and if you get too many points over your lifetime you could get a "10 year" revocation, however those records are not visible to insurance companies.

Q: Does it pay to fight my NY ticket or should I just pay it?
A: In order to figure the true cost of a traffic ticket conviction (aside from figuring out the total fines and the effects on your record) you need to call up your insurance company and ask them 2 questions. 1. How much will my insurance go up over the next 4 years if I pay this ticket? 2. How much money in "good driver discounts" will I loss over the next 4 years and how much does this add up to?

The reason you need to ask these 2 questions separately is because the insurance companies "shield themselves" from the statutory requirement to not raise insurance rates for a first violation (or speeds up to 15 MPH) by granting "good driver discounts", and then taking away these good driver discounts when you get your first violation. Therefore the (technically) correct answer to the first question you ask them could be "your insurance will not be raised at all". Then when you ask them the second question the answer may be in the thousands of dollars over the next 4 years, depending on your insurance bracket.

Q: How can I find my New York ticket online? 
A: If it is New York City ticket you can find it at https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay if you received a ticket anywhere outside of NYC and anywhere upstate you must contact the individual Court by phone or mail. There is no way to find your ticket online. Google is not able to find most small Courts as it get confused with giving you the most popular courts and attorneys, therefore I suggest you look up your Court at at www.town-court.com.

Q: How can I get a copy of my NYS driving record/license/abstract?
A: You can buy it at the statutory minimum of $7 at https://my.dmv.ny.gov/crm

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a regular non CDL NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no they will not.

Q: Do NY tickets show up on NJ licenses?
A: Yes as a 2 point out of state conviction (most violations).

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no. Exceptions 1. if you have a CDL the NJ conviction will record on your NY license. 2. DUI/DWI and criminal driving convictions from NJ do record on your NY license. 3. as stated above if you don't respond to the ticket the suspension will follow you to NY. In addition NJ issues warrants for failing to respond to traffic tickets. 4 If you are convicted of a high speed (90+ MPH, 100+ MPH) in NJ the Judge may suspend your NJ driving privileges. 

Q: Can I pay Court fines with a CC?
A: In NYC for moving violations you can use https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay. For NYC parking tickets you can use http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/parking.shtml. As far as "upstate" Courts go, most Courts will allow you to pay with visa or mastercard in person. Many Courts have a CC sheet which you can fill in and mail back, other Courts have a third party processor such as https://www.ncourt.com to accept cc payments. Call the Court to find out what options they have. No one (so far that I have seen) will take CCs over the phone.

Q: I received a camera ticket for a red light (3 points) or speeding (3-11 points) or a bus lane violation (2 points). Do traffic tickets issued from a camera add points to my license?
A: Camera Tickets never go on your license as they are issued against the car and not the driver. Therefor a camera ticket will not add points to your license or increase your insurance.

Q: If I push a ticket off for 18 months and then I am convicted, can I still be suspended by the DMV for having more than 11 points?
A: Pushing off a ticket will not help protect you from DMV actions. The reason is as follows: if you receive 2 tickets worth 6 points each on the same day, and you plead guilty to one of them on that same day and you push the second ticket off for 5 years, and then you plead guilty to that second ticket, the DMV computer will look at the 2 dates of violation and say "the motorist accumulated (more than) 11 points within an 18 month period" and issue a persistent violator suspension against you license.

Insurance companies work the other way around. They can only raise your premium after your date of conviction. Therefore in our example the insurance companies will increase your insurance after the first conviction appears on your record when they renew your policy (which will stay on your record for 3 years and then until the next January 1st) and then they will increase your rates again after the second ticket conviction shows up on your record when they renew your policy, (once again this second ticket will stay on the record for  3 years plus until the next January first. It follows that pleading/being found guilty in December saves 11 months of policy increase, and if there is a way to lock in a one year policy right before a conviction in December you can be looking at a car increase for only 2 years and 1 day, instead of 4 years minus one day.)

Travelers Insurance offers 1 year rates.
Geico is 6 months.

Traffic Ticket Lawyers:

State
New York Attorney Matisyahu Wolfberg http://www.speedingdefense.com/
New York Attorney Zev Goldstein www.zevgoldsteinlaw.com 845-356-7770
New York Attorney Benjamin Goldman https://www.benjamingoldmanlawoffice.com/ 212-203-3810
New Jersey and New York Attorney Adam H. Rosenblum www.ticketdefenselaw.com
New Jersey Attorney Leib Klein www.avvo.com/attorneys/08701-nj-leib-klein-1602182.html 732-987-7040

Great Upstate NY lawyer at very cheap prices. http://jaydrillings.net/

Not that many parking ticket lawyers!
Parking ticket Non Lawyer (NYC)
Cathy Mei She takes 50% to fight the parking or camera ticket
Office Number 212-349-4978
Email 329ticket@gmail.com
Fax 646-699-3630

Parking Expert non attorney (718) 384-5052

Non attorney runner http://www.myticketsnyc.com/

Non attorney runner http://www.wefighttickets.com/

10+ Counties in upstate NY have diversion programs, allowing you to dismiss the ticket for a fine and defensive driving class. Conditions and restrictions apply. Check the District Attorney's website for your county: Allegany, Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Clinton, Franklin, Livingston, Orleans, Otsego, Tioga, and Wyoming.

This wiki is not legal advice, nor the advice of an attorney.

Author Topic: Moving Violation Tickets  (Read 997132 times)

Offline David B

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
Re: Traffic Tickets
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2012, 12:14:43 PM »

this is in NJ, Bill is Ny

Couldn't find "chavruso tumult the corner of 7th and private" on Google Maps  ???

My mistake....well, that's how it WOULD have worked if in Brooklyn.....

Offline Yeki89

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »
try Here

Offline lfas25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2012, 12:29:02 PM »
I was parked by chavruso tumult the corner of 7th and private.
(where the construction is)
A friend called me that they are giving out tickets.
I came down, the cop already started to write the ticket.
I asked what is the problem?
He says I'm parked illegibly.
I sid where is there a no parking sign.
He says, there where but someone took them down.
I asked so how can you give me a ticket?
he replied well there are cones here.
I inquired, but they are against the fence, indicating construction, it doesn't mean no parking.
He replied, well "someone" called us down, and i'm doing my job.
I will give the the lowest in-fracture i have, an improper parking ticket.

1) do I have any way to get out i.e. will going to court help?
2) can i file a complaint about the cop?
3) is it worth the time/head ache to go to court?

1) I am not sure but I could ask some local cops that I know
2) No you can't, he's doing his job. - similar story, my friend who was on the Fire Dept was working at a construction site (4th & forest) several years ago and his car was parked in front of the fire hydrant as in the morening there is no parking as every spot in the area is being used for Satmar.. Someone called the cops that he's blocking the hydrent, my friend saw the cop and showed him that he's part of the fire dept and has Id in his window and said if there was a fire he would know about it before anu fire trucks came as he had his pager on him... The cop told him I'm sorry but since someone called in a complaint he needs to issue a ticket.

3) Probably not as there are no points involved and you'll end up spending a lot of time trying to fight it which I doubt will be successful

(Sorry if there are spelling mistakes.. I'm on my blackberry)
I only paid 15% by switching to dansdeals

Offline Yeki89

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2012, 12:31:52 PM »
I called the municiple, i filed a complaint  ;D now i can pay the ticket!

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2012, 12:36:01 PM »
Wow, pretty crazy. PD gonna be having alot of fun this zman over there. . . ..

How much was the ticket, $54?

Offline Yeki89

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2012, 12:36:39 PM »
yup, cheaper to pay then to sit in Lakewood Muniple for 3 hours...

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »
Friend got a speeding ticket in Yonkers he was going 79 in 55 what's his best move

Offline David B

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #127 on: October 26, 2012, 12:21:35 PM »
Friend got a speeding ticket in Yonkers he was going 79 in 55 what's his best move

What agency issued the ticket -- Yonkers PD or NYS Trooper?

Offline U-no-me!

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Parking Ticket
« Reply #128 on: November 06, 2012, 05:19:45 PM »
Almost always the rental company has your credit card on file and will automatically charge it as soon as they are made aware of the ticket.

Thanks. Is there any possobility that Avis will hand over my personal info including license # and possibly end up with a suspended license?
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline YOSEF

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 06, 2012, 10:15:23 PM »
You don't own the parking spot with the curbcut. You own the access to the driveway.

Its not a legal spot for someone else to park in, because he would be blocking the driveway, so the city never put up a meter.  However, if someone would park there, lulei the issue of blocking the driveway, its a metered spot.

Makes sense that you got the ticket.

Offline U-no-me!

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2012, 10:52:01 AM »
Is there any way a parking ticket can lead to a suspended licence?
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Parking Ticket
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2012, 12:36:21 PM »

If you have many unpaid parking tickets then yes I believe it can.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline LeeW

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2012, 01:09:22 PM »
Thanks. Is there any possobility that Avis will hand over my personal info including license # and possibly end up with a suspended license?

It won't end up with a suspended license because the rental agency will pay it. They will pay it with the card they have on file for you. I have no idea what happens if you cancel the card. Remember, parking tickets are always the responsibility of the owner of the car, no matter who was driving, which in this case is the rental company.

I don't think so. It can cause them to impound your car though.

Offline smart brit

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 27, 2012, 12:47:58 AM »
Need help for a friend that got busted on the prospect expy 62 on 30 as the last 30feet are a 30 zone.
What are his options?
Thanks

Offline Bostener

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 27, 2012, 01:31:16 AM »
Need help for a friend that got busted on the prospect expy 62 on 30 as the last 30feet are a 30 zone.
What are his options?
Thanks

First of all, is he from NY and will have to deal with points?

NYC is the worst place to get a ticket, judges are very unfair. I don't know who puts them on the bench but this is with what he is going to have to deal with.
Airlines sending me "We're in this together" emails.

Bruh, where were you when my suitcase weighed it 51.50 pounds?

Offline hocker

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 27, 2012, 06:48:26 AM »
What are his options?
Thanks
http://nyticketlaw.com/

Offline Smokey Joe Robinson

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
« Reply #136 on: November 27, 2012, 10:29:34 AM »
What are his options?
Thanks
that sucks everyone flies there, (including me)
My Programs Are Listed So That I Don't Forget Them :)

Offline Bostener

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2012, 07:49:39 PM »
that sucks everyone flies there, (including me)

Also there, every one changes lanes on the solid white line. Recently they are hiding there and are issuing tickets to those drivers.  :(
Airlines sending me "We're in this together" emails.

Bruh, where were you when my suitcase weighed it 51.50 pounds?

Offline U-no-me!

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2012, 08:51:43 PM »
It won't end up with a suspended license because the rental agency will pay it. They will pay it with the card they have on file for you. I have no idea what happens if you cancel the card. Remember, parking tickets are always the responsibility of the owner of the car, no matter who was driving, which in this case is the rental company.

Interestingly enough, Avis sent me a letter that my ticket is past due and the judgement was guilty, so they will be forwarding all the docs to me and that I should pay it. Avis never charged me. what should I make out of this?
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline lyla

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2012, 10:52:11 PM »
It can not suspend your license but it could prevent you for renewing your registration. They have no proof who was actually driving the car so it can not be part of licensing.