Topic Wiki

This thread discusses speeding tickets and traffic tickets in the state of New York. For parking tickets go here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15090.0 or here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=23665.msg1088489. For moving violations outside of New York, please start a new thread and add a link here.

If you have a specific question please use this template so that members will have enough information to answer.
The ticket was issued in this state:
The ticket is returnable to in this Town/Village/City:
I have a license from this state:
Regular or Commercial license:
Ticket one:
Ticket two(ex):
Accident?:
I want information on "do it yourself":
I want information on "hire an attorney":
I want both:

Please read this wiki first. I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

Q: Can I get a plea bargain in New York City?
A: No. Every single ticket goes to trial, guilty or not guilty, in New York City. (The 5 boroughs of NY, Kings, Queens, Bronx and Richmond.)

Q: How long does it take for points to fall off your New York State record/license/abstract?
A: For DMV persistent violation purposes 18 months from the date of offense regardless of the date of conviction. At 3 years after the date of conviction on the following January first the points are no longer visible on the driving record which insurance companies and traffic prosecutors look at. DMV always keeps a record of your conviction and if you get too many points over your lifetime you could get a "10 year" revocation, however those records are not visible to insurance companies.

Q: Does it pay to fight my NY ticket or should I just pay it?
A: In order to figure the true cost of a traffic ticket conviction (aside from figuring out the total fines and the effects on your record) you need to call up your insurance company and ask them 2 questions. 1. How much will my insurance go up over the next 4 years if I pay this ticket? 2. How much money in "good driver discounts" will I loss over the next 4 years and how much does this add up to?

The reason you need to ask these 2 questions separately is because the insurance companies "shield themselves" from the statutory requirement to not raise insurance rates for a first violation (or speeds up to 15 MPH) by granting "good driver discounts", and then taking away these good driver discounts when you get your first violation. Therefore the (technically) correct answer to the first question you ask them could be "your insurance will not be raised at all". Then when you ask them the second question the answer may be in the thousands of dollars over the next 4 years, depending on your insurance bracket.

Q: How can I find my New York ticket online? 
A: If it is New York City ticket you can find it at https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay if you received a ticket anywhere outside of NYC and anywhere upstate you must contact the individual Court by phone or mail. There is no way to find your ticket online. Google is not able to find most small Courts as it get confused with giving you the most popular courts and attorneys, therefore I suggest you look up your Court at at www.town-court.com.

Q: How can I get a copy of my NYS driving record/license/abstract?
A: You can buy it at the statutory minimum of $7 at https://my.dmv.ny.gov/crm

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a regular non CDL NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no they will not.

Q: Do NY tickets show up on NJ licenses?
A: Yes as a 2 point out of state conviction (most violations).

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no. Exceptions 1. if you have a CDL the NJ conviction will record on your NY license. 2. DUI/DWI and criminal driving convictions from NJ do record on your NY license. 3. as stated above if you don't respond to the ticket the suspension will follow you to NY. In addition NJ issues warrants for failing to respond to traffic tickets. 4 If you are convicted of a high speed (90+ MPH, 100+ MPH) in NJ the Judge may suspend your NJ driving privileges. 

Q: Can I pay Court fines with a CC?
A: In NYC for moving violations you can use https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay. For NYC parking tickets you can use http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/parking.shtml. As far as "upstate" Courts go, most Courts will allow you to pay with visa or mastercard in person. Many Courts have a CC sheet which you can fill in and mail back, other Courts have a third party processor such as https://www.ncourt.com to accept cc payments. Call the Court to find out what options they have. No one (so far that I have seen) will take CCs over the phone.

Q: I received a camera ticket for a red light (3 points) or speeding (3-11 points) or a bus lane violation (2 points). Do traffic tickets issued from a camera add points to my license?
A: Camera Tickets never go on your license as they are issued against the car and not the driver. Therefor a camera ticket will not add points to your license or increase your insurance.

Q: If I push a ticket off for 18 months and then I am convicted, can I still be suspended by the DMV for having more than 11 points?
A: Pushing off a ticket will not help protect you from DMV actions. The reason is as follows: if you receive 2 tickets worth 6 points each on the same day, and you plead guilty to one of them on that same day and you push the second ticket off for 5 years, and then you plead guilty to that second ticket, the DMV computer will look at the 2 dates of violation and say "the motorist accumulated (more than) 11 points within an 18 month period" and issue a persistent violator suspension against you license.

Insurance companies work the other way around. They can only raise your premium after your date of conviction. Therefore in our example the insurance companies will increase your insurance after the first conviction appears on your record when they renew your policy (which will stay on your record for 3 years and then until the next January 1st) and then they will increase your rates again after the second ticket conviction shows up on your record when they renew your policy, (once again this second ticket will stay on the record for  3 years plus until the next January first. It follows that pleading/being found guilty in December saves 11 months of policy increase, and if there is a way to lock in a one year policy right before a conviction in December you can be looking at a car increase for only 2 years and 1 day, instead of 4 years minus one day.)

Travelers Insurance offers 1 year rates.
Geico is 6 months.

Traffic Ticket Lawyers:

State
New York Attorney Matisyahu Wolfberg http://www.speedingdefense.com/
New York Attorney Zev Goldstein www.zevgoldsteinlaw.com 845-356-7770
New York Attorney Benjamin Goldman https://www.benjamingoldmanlawoffice.com/ 212-203-3810
New Jersey and New York Attorney Adam H. Rosenblum www.ticketdefenselaw.com
New Jersey Attorney Leib Klein www.avvo.com/attorneys/08701-nj-leib-klein-1602182.html 732-987-7040

Great Upstate NY lawyer at very cheap prices. http://jaydrillings.net/

Not that many parking ticket lawyers!
Parking ticket Non Lawyer (NYC)
Cathy Mei She takes 50% to fight the parking or camera ticket
Office Number 212-349-4978
Email 329ticket@gmail.com
Fax 646-699-3630

Parking Expert non attorney (718) 384-5052

Non attorney runner http://www.myticketsnyc.com/

Non attorney runner http://www.wefighttickets.com/

10+ Counties in upstate NY have diversion programs, allowing you to dismiss the ticket for a fine and defensive driving class. Conditions and restrictions apply. Check the District Attorney's website for your county: Allegany, Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Clinton, Franklin, Livingston, Orleans, Otsego, Tioga, and Wyoming.

This wiki is not legal advice, nor the advice of an attorney.

Author Topic: Moving Violation Tickets  (Read 997471 times)

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
Re: Traffic Tickets
« Reply #600 on: September 02, 2013, 10:13:05 AM »
The fellow with the suspended license didn't think it was so cool:/
I was saying +1 on this "I am still eagerly awaiting for you to show some source backing up your claim that they are dismissible, and then you can explain why it has never worked for anyone one else."

Offline Hirshthg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
« Reply #601 on: September 02, 2013, 10:57:26 PM »
I was saying +1 on this "I am still eagerly awaiting for you to show some source backing up your claim that they are dismissible, and then you can explain why it has never worked for anyone one else."
I figured as much. I don't think bodner like it either though, so I am happy to have at least one fan.

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #602 on: September 02, 2013, 10:58:21 PM »

I figured as much. I don't think bodner like it either though, so I am happy to have at least one fan.
My pleasure! :)

Offline sherrie.melton

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 10, 2013, 05:06:17 AM »
I would like to suggest you to attend traffic school courses. Many drivers end up their fight doing the same on judge’s order. You can opt for an online traffic school to save your working hours as it allows you to pursue course in your free time.

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 15, 2013, 03:08:11 AM »
I would like to suggest you to attend traffic school courses. Many drivers end up their fight doing the same on judge’s order. You can opt for an online traffic school to save your working hours as it allows you to pursue course in your free time.
I suggest you do so anyway every 4 years to get the %10 car insurance discount.
As per the judge's orders, many judges (and prosecutors) don't think you need another class after you just took one less than a year ago. Therefore instead of trading the class for parking ticket, the option may not longer be on the table.
One may as well use whatever leverage they can find.

Offline Lou Bob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: October 17, 2013, 10:54:10 AM »
Got a red light ticket today from a cop, while going through yellow. Same exact type as last one (which got thrown out in court bec cop didn't show)...only diff is that last one was in clarkstown, this one in monsey (corner of college and 59).
So will they see my first ticket and give me a bigger punishment? And  if I had a family member in the car, can that person testify for me that it was yellow?
today,is the trial date for this one :-(
cop wrote on ticket that he observed me pass through the intersection while my traffic signal was a steady red....would it help to being a pix showing that it was impossible to see my red light from where the cop was (at night you can see reflection and therefore you see the color, but by day, you can't see it). It happened during the day.
I made a left @the intersection and cop was at the light to my right waiting for his green, while I went through my yellow.
Always use an Amex, you'll thank me one day.

Offline Vosizderneias

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 17, 2013, 11:07:18 AM »

today,is the trial date for this one :-(
cop wrote on ticket that he observed me pass through the intersection while my traffic signal was a steady red....would it help to being a pix showing that it was impossible to see my red light from where the cop was (at night you can see reflection and therefore you see the color, but by day, you can't see it). It happened during the day.
I made a left @the intersection and cop was at the light to my right waiting for his green, while I went through my yellow.
did u do it?

Offline mercaz1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: October 17, 2013, 12:02:19 PM »
any way to beat a red light camera ticket in nassau county

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 17, 2013, 01:34:12 PM »
I got a blocking the hydrant ticket (NYC) 2 days in a row (I didn't move my car for 2 days and didn't see the tickets). The tickets contradict each other in terms of how far I am from the intersection and how close I am to the hydrant. I filed a dispute online and was asked for more evidence. So I mailed my dispute and got a letter back from the judge saying I'm still guilty. Any ideas or should I just pay them?

Offline YSP

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 17, 2013, 03:14:27 PM »

Camers tickets don't go on your driving record

Offline mercaz1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: October 17, 2013, 03:43:51 PM »
still want to try and fight it if it is possible

Offline 972sg212

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: October 17, 2013, 05:47:51 PM »
I got an expired inspection ticket (it expired 2 weeks ago ) my car is going back tomorrow(my lease is up?),
Do they inspect it when i return the lease ?
if they do can i just send a copy of it back with the ticket ?

Offline Bostener

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 18, 2013, 02:34:33 AM »

I can tell you that in NYC no matter what they say guilty.
Airlines sending me "We're in this together" emails.

Bruh, where were you when my suitcase weighed it 51.50 pounds?

Offline Bostener

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 18, 2013, 02:36:08 AM »
I got a blocking the hydrant ticket (NYC) 2 days in a row (I didn't move my car for 2 days and didn't see the tickets). The tickets contradict each other in terms of how far I am from the intersection and how close I am to the hydrant. I filed a dispute online and was asked for more evidence. So I mailed my dispute and got a letter back from the judge saying I'm still guilty. Any ideas or should I just pay them?

Where was this ticket?

Offline ShmuliT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 18, 2013, 02:37:11 AM »
Regardless of your actual distance, whether they write 1ft or 14ft on the ticket, the fact you were under 15ft makes you guilty.

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #615 on: October 18, 2013, 02:50:43 AM »
Anyone know how much the ticket for windsheld obstruction is in ausable ny? (it's about a half hour south of the canadien border on the 87)   In long island i think it's $163, sounds like a lot. Wondering if it's the same in the whole state of n y.

Offline Bostener

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 18, 2013, 03:38:29 AM »
Anyone know how much the ticket for windsheld obstruction is in ausable ny? (it's about a half hour south of the canadien border on the 87)   In long island i think it's $163, sounds like a lot. Wondering if it's the same in the whole state of n y.

Ausable is small town of about 3,000 that most of its have never heard of. From what you write it sounds like the have own windsheld obstruction codes?

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #617 on: October 18, 2013, 10:48:13 AM »
Ausable is small town of about 3,000 that most of its have never heard of. From what you write it sounds like the have own windsheld obstruction codes?
I wrote that Long Island NY has a fine of $163 for a windshield obstruction ticket. Was asking if its the same in the whole state of NY, or does each county/municipality have their own schedule of fees.
And if its different, does anyone know how much it is in ausable NY / Clinton county.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #618 on: October 18, 2013, 11:08:57 AM »
IIRC there's a DDFer from Champlain, I'd that the same area?

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 18, 2013, 11:26:50 AM »
I wrote that Long Island NY has a fine of $163 for a windshield obstruction ticket. Was asking if its the same in the whole state of NY, or does each county/municipality have their own schedule of fees.
And if its different, does anyone know how much it is in ausable NY / Clinton county.

NYS VTL 1213 "driver's view obstructed"  fine amount $0-$150 + Surcharge $93 = max fine of $293. In addition it caries 2 points.