Topic Wiki

This thread discusses speeding tickets and traffic tickets in the state of New York. For parking tickets go here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15090.0 or here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=23665.msg1088489. For moving violations outside of New York, please start a new thread and add a link here.

If you have a specific question please use this template so that members will have enough information to answer.
The ticket was issued in this state:
The ticket is returnable to in this Town/Village/City:
I have a license from this state:
Regular or Commercial license:
Ticket one:
Ticket two(ex):
Accident?:
I want information on "do it yourself":
I want information on "hire an attorney":
I want both:

Please read this wiki first. I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

Q: Can I get a plea bargain in New York City?
A: No. Every single ticket goes to trial, guilty or not guilty, in New York City. (The 5 boroughs of NY, Kings, Queens, Bronx and Richmond.)

Q: How long does it take for points to fall off your New York State record/license/abstract?
A: For DMV persistent violation purposes 18 months from the date of offense regardless of the date of conviction. At 3 years after the date of conviction on the following January first the points are no longer visible on the driving record which insurance companies and traffic prosecutors look at. DMV always keeps a record of your conviction and if you get too many points over your lifetime you could get a "10 year" revocation, however those records are not visible to insurance companies.

Q: Does it pay to fight my NY ticket or should I just pay it?
A: In order to figure the true cost of a traffic ticket conviction (aside from figuring out the total fines and the effects on your record) you need to call up your insurance company and ask them 2 questions. 1. How much will my insurance go up over the next 4 years if I pay this ticket? 2. How much money in "good driver discounts" will I loss over the next 4 years and how much does this add up to?

The reason you need to ask these 2 questions separately is because the insurance companies "shield themselves" from the statutory requirement to not raise insurance rates for a first violation (or speeds up to 15 MPH) by granting "good driver discounts", and then taking away these good driver discounts when you get your first violation. Therefore the (technically) correct answer to the first question you ask them could be "your insurance will not be raised at all". Then when you ask them the second question the answer may be in the thousands of dollars over the next 4 years, depending on your insurance bracket.

Q: How can I find my New York ticket online? 
A: If it is New York City ticket you can find it at https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay if you received a ticket anywhere outside of NYC and anywhere upstate you must contact the individual Court by phone or mail. There is no way to find your ticket online. Google is not able to find most small Courts as it get confused with giving you the most popular courts and attorneys, therefore I suggest you look up your Court at at www.town-court.com.

Q: How can I get a copy of my NYS driving record/license/abstract?
A: You can buy it at the statutory minimum of $7 at https://my.dmv.ny.gov/crm

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a regular non CDL NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no they will not.

Q: Do NY tickets show up on NJ licenses?
A: Yes as a 2 point out of state conviction (most violations).

Q: Do NJ tickets show up on a NY license?
A: As long as you pay them, no. Exceptions 1. if you have a CDL the NJ conviction will record on your NY license. 2. DUI/DWI and criminal driving convictions from NJ do record on your NY license. 3. as stated above if you don't respond to the ticket the suspension will follow you to NY. In addition NJ issues warrants for failing to respond to traffic tickets. 4 If you are convicted of a high speed (90+ MPH, 100+ MPH) in NJ the Judge may suspend your NJ driving privileges. 

Q: Can I pay Court fines with a CC?
A: In NYC for moving violations you can use https://transact.dmv.ny.gov/pleadnpay. For NYC parking tickets you can use http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/parking.shtml. As far as "upstate" Courts go, most Courts will allow you to pay with visa or mastercard in person. Many Courts have a CC sheet which you can fill in and mail back, other Courts have a third party processor such as https://www.ncourt.com to accept cc payments. Call the Court to find out what options they have. No one (so far that I have seen) will take CCs over the phone.

Q: I received a camera ticket for a red light (3 points) or speeding (3-11 points) or a bus lane violation (2 points). Do traffic tickets issued from a camera add points to my license?
A: Camera Tickets never go on your license as they are issued against the car and not the driver. Therefor a camera ticket will not add points to your license or increase your insurance.

Q: If I push a ticket off for 18 months and then I am convicted, can I still be suspended by the DMV for having more than 11 points?
A: Pushing off a ticket will not help protect you from DMV actions. The reason is as follows: if you receive 2 tickets worth 6 points each on the same day, and you plead guilty to one of them on that same day and you push the second ticket off for 5 years, and then you plead guilty to that second ticket, the DMV computer will look at the 2 dates of violation and say "the motorist accumulated (more than) 11 points within an 18 month period" and issue a persistent violator suspension against you license.

Insurance companies work the other way around. They can only raise your premium after your date of conviction. Therefore in our example the insurance companies will increase your insurance after the first conviction appears on your record when they renew your policy (which will stay on your record for 3 years and then until the next January 1st) and then they will increase your rates again after the second ticket conviction shows up on your record when they renew your policy, (once again this second ticket will stay on the record for  3 years plus until the next January first. It follows that pleading/being found guilty in December saves 11 months of policy increase, and if there is a way to lock in a one year policy right before a conviction in December you can be looking at a car increase for only 2 years and 1 day, instead of 4 years minus one day.)

Travelers Insurance offers 1 year rates.
Geico is 6 months.

Traffic Ticket Lawyers:

State
New York Attorney Matisyahu Wolfberg http://www.speedingdefense.com/
New York Attorney Zev Goldstein www.zevgoldsteinlaw.com 845-356-7770
New York Attorney Benjamin Goldman https://www.benjamingoldmanlawoffice.com/ 212-203-3810
New Jersey and New York Attorney Adam H. Rosenblum www.ticketdefenselaw.com
New Jersey Attorney Leib Klein www.avvo.com/attorneys/08701-nj-leib-klein-1602182.html 732-987-7040

Great Upstate NY lawyer at very cheap prices. http://jaydrillings.net/

Not that many parking ticket lawyers!
Parking ticket Non Lawyer (NYC)
Cathy Mei She takes 50% to fight the parking or camera ticket
Office Number 212-349-4978
Email 329ticket@gmail.com
Fax 646-699-3630

Parking Expert non attorney (718) 384-5052

Non attorney runner http://www.myticketsnyc.com/

Non attorney runner http://www.wefighttickets.com/

10+ Counties in upstate NY have diversion programs, allowing you to dismiss the ticket for a fine and defensive driving class. Conditions and restrictions apply. Check the District Attorney's website for your county: Allegany, Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Clinton, Franklin, Livingston, Orleans, Otsego, Tioga, and Wyoming.

This wiki is not legal advice, nor the advice of an attorney.

Author Topic: Moving Violation Tickets  (Read 997116 times)

Offline Hirshthg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
Re: Traffic Tickets
« Reply #1260 on: July 09, 2014, 11:41:25 PM »
called him there is no points he told me it's not worth it to fight since it's a $200 ticket.
Free advice:)

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: July 09, 2014, 11:41:39 PM »
thanks, called him there is no points he told me it's not worth it to fight since it's a $200 ticket.
ftfy

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: July 09, 2014, 11:42:20 PM »
If anybody could help, appreciated. Basically got seatbelt ticket, I kept looking online to pay it but it never showed up. Now 7 months later they send me letter saying my license is suspended in NY unless I pay $278. Do I have any options to pay less?
Did you register with the online system? If you do you can take that receipt and contest the default conviction.

Offline AI-TRAVEL

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: July 10, 2014, 01:30:19 AM »
Did you register with the online system? If you do you can take that receipt and contest the default conviction.
I'm not sure what you mean register? I kept on putting all my info in and my ticket number, every time it said this driver has no ticket or something like that.

Offline AI-TRAVEL

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: July 11, 2014, 01:31:18 PM »
If anybody could help, appreciated. Basically got seatbelt ticket, I kept looking online to pay it but it never showed up. Now 7 months later they send me letter saying my license is suspended in NY unless I pay $278. Do I have any options to pay less?
Anyway to fight or pay less? Or should I just pay it and move on?

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: July 12, 2014, 10:10:57 PM »
Anyway to fight or pay less? Or should I just pay it and move on?
give a call to one  of the traffic attorneys and ask them.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: July 14, 2014, 01:09:05 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean register? I kept on putting all my info in and my ticket number, every time it said this driver has no ticket or something like that.
That means that the number/info is incorrect.

Offline tageed-lee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 73
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: July 18, 2014, 12:42:25 AM »
I got 2 tickets:  >:(

1) HOV + EZ-pass lane and did not have my EZ-pass with me. HLC (battery) Tunnel. (2 points)

(I honestly didn't realize you needed both, i thought if you had either one you were good. Plus i was trying to make my flight in LGA, so being in this lane was a complete accident as LGA is the other way, i am not from NY)

2) Uninsured vehicle. (I am insured, didn't have the correct paperwork in my car at the time)

Does anyone know if fighting these are worth it? or just pay them (I don't know how much)?

Offline Dr Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: July 18, 2014, 06:07:35 PM »
2 years ago I got a speeding ticket in NJ, I paid more money so that I will not get points on my license (out of state license). I recently checked my driving record and I see that I got points for reckless driving (apparently, they made the ticket reckless driving instead of speeding). Is there anything I could do about this?
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: July 18, 2014, 07:25:58 PM »
I got 2 tickets:  >:(

1) HOV + EZ-pass lane and did not have my EZ-pass with me. HLC (battery) Tunnel. (2 points)

(I honestly didn't realize you needed both, i thought if you had either one you were good. Plus i was trying to make my flight in LGA, so being in this lane was a complete accident as LGA is the other way, i am not from NY)

2) Uninsured vehicle. (I am insured, didn't have the correct paperwork in my car at the time)

Does anyone know if fighting these are worth it? or just pay them (I don't know how much)?
The insurance ticket could either be a no effect NYC law for "not showing your insurance proof" with a $100 fine or so, or it can be a $1500 fine and one year revocation of your license for "not having insurance". So it depends on that one:)
As for the EZpass traffic control device, either go down to the trial yourself, hire a lawyer to go for you or pay it. Odds of winning yourself 20/80 odds with an attorney 50/50.

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: July 18, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »
2 years ago I got a speeding ticket in NJ, I paid more money so that I will not get points on my license (out of state license). I recently checked my driving record and I see that I got points for reckless driving (apparently, they made the ticket reckless driving instead of speeding). Is there anything I could do about this?
I would like to see your record if that is possible. You would have been better off with the speed. You can also email your question along with your abstract to adam rosenblum esq (see the wiki).

Offline Dr Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: July 21, 2014, 02:32:42 PM »
I would like to see your record if that is possible. You would have been better off with the speed. You can also email your question along with your abstract to adam rosenblum esq (see the wiki).
Is there even anything that can be done?
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: July 21, 2014, 06:10:30 PM »
Is there even anything that can be done?
That is a question of NJ law. There may be.
I would be happy to get an answer for you in I had a hard copy of what I was researching.

Offline plainbachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: July 24, 2014, 12:40:51 AM »
I had a NYC TVB court date I kept on pushing off finally last time I pushed off they told that's it next time I must come. The date is for tomorrow I look online now it's says it was pushed off again by office but I never got a letter should I still go? Will I get ticket dismissed? 

Offline Hirshthg

• View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: July 24, 2014, 01:02:53 AM »
I had a NYC TVB court date I kept on pushing off finally last time I pushed off they told that's it next time I must come. The date is for tomorrow I look online now it's says it was pushed off again by office but I never got a letter should I still go? Will I get ticket dismissed?
If it was pushed off by the officer then nothing will happen tomorrow.

Offline plainbachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: July 24, 2014, 10:25:42 AM »
Nice! When I went for my ticket today I found out the cop that gave me a cell phone ticket retired so my case got dismissed!

Offline Novo

• View Profile
  • Programs: Chase A/A, Amex F/R, Citi A/A. Hertz DNR.
« Reply #1276 on: July 24, 2014, 10:34:42 AM »
Nice! When I went for my ticket today I found out the cop that gave me a cell phone ticket retired so my case got dismissed!
Congrats!
I try my best :-\
Quote from: Centro
If you wanna go fast, go alone
If you wanna go far, go together

Offline Novo

• View Profile
  • Programs: Chase A/A, Amex F/R, Citi A/A. Hertz DNR.
« Reply #1277 on: July 24, 2014, 10:37:52 AM »
I have a friend who was driving with his family, his wife was holding her wig in her hands and a cop stopped him and gave him a ticket because he saw his son was out of his car seat (he was mixing up with the wig  ;D)
I try my best :-\
Quote from: Centro
If you wanna go fast, go alone
If you wanna go far, go together

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: July 24, 2014, 11:04:10 AM »
B"H !!
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: July 24, 2014, 11:04:43 AM »
I have a friend who was driving with his family, his wife was holding her wig in her hands and a cop stopped him and gave him a ticket because he saw his son was out of his car seat (he was mixing up with the wig  ;D)
and what ended up happening?
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle