Author Topic: Corona spike after Yom Tov  (Read 6909 times)

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Corona spike after Yom Tov
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2020, 11:26:11 AM »
Ok sorry. You did say many/many. And I'm telling you that it wasn't. Maybe just a few if you're lucky. And just to be clear, I'm talking specifically about Brooklyn, Monsey, and Monroe.
I love how he said NY/NJ, and you decided to make it about Brooklyn, Monsey and Monroe.

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2020, 11:27:38 AM »
I love how he said NY/NJ, and you decided to make it about Brooklyn, Monsey and Monroe.

Aren't those the areas that are red zones?? Why does the rest of NY or even NJ even matter?

The discussion began with saying there was a major spike over RH and YK and plenty of cases over Sukkos - was there a major spike in the entire NY/NJ? No, the major spike obviously referred to the red zone areas so that's why I'm talking only about those.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 11:39:32 AM by iluv2travel »

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2020, 11:45:53 AM »
Aren't those the areas that are red zones?? Why does the rest of NY or even NJ even matter?

The discussion began with saying there was a major spike over RH and YK and plenty of cases over Sukkos - was there a major spike in the entire NY/NJ? No, the major spike obviously referred to the red zone areas so that's why I'm talking only about those.

There was a major spike in most frum communities in NY and NJ before and during Tishrei. I saw no reference to red zones. And again, OP specifically called out EY. You've completely changed the narrative of this thread.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2020, 11:59:33 AM »
There was a major spike in most frum communities in NY and NJ before and during Tishrei. I saw no reference to red zones. And again, OP specifically called out EY. You've completely changed the narrative of this thread.

Like I said I understood the question to be in general as well as specifically in EY. When you responded that there was the spikes it didn't specifically reference EY so I misunderstood and thought you were talking in general.

My apologies for the confusion and we can go back to talking about EY  :).

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2020, 12:50:58 PM »
Like I said I understood the question to be in general as well as specifically in EY. When you responded that there was the spikes it didn't specifically reference EY so I misunderstood and thought you were talking in general.

It was a question in general, but again, you somehow narrowed that down to Brooklyn, Monsey and Monroe. ::)

Offline Traveler718

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2020, 12:53:53 PM »
Many, many Flatbush shuls significantly altered their davening over the past month, especially Simchas Torah, which was virtually unrecognizable. Apparently, not only does NY only include Brooklyn and Monsey, but "Brooklyn" only includes BP and Willi.

Offline Happyguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2020, 01:50:37 PM »

The fact that Israel went down so quickly after Yom Tov and so high before is very interesting :-\

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2020, 02:39:18 PM »
The fact that Israel went down so quickly after Yom Tov and so high before is very interesting :-\

I agree it is. I'm assuming that's why you asked the original question.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2020, 02:44:42 PM »
Even among those with COVID, the vast majority don't spread it.
Superspreader events amount to bad practices and bad luck.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2020, 02:53:51 PM »
Why wasn't there a major spike in cases after Yom Tov esp in EY where there were many places which kept zero social distancing, no masks, indoor minyanim, dancing , kiddushim, big seudos by families etc.
Weddings.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2020, 02:55:35 PM »

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2020, 02:56:32 PM »
What about them?
There weren't any during the OP timespan.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2020, 03:06:03 PM »
There weren't any during the OP timespan.

Correct. But IMO I wouldn't think Simchas Torah with Kiddushim were much different if SD wasn't observed which OP says they weren't.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2020, 03:19:04 PM »
Even among those with COVID, the vast majority don't spread it.
Superspreader events amount to bad practices and bad luck.

That would seem to be the only plausible explanation here. The more I read about it and the more anecdotal evidence I see myself, the more sense it makes.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2020, 03:23:28 PM »
Correct. But IMO I wouldn't think Simchas Torah with Kiddushim were much different if SD wasn't observed which OP says they weren't.

Unless the places which had kiddushim like normal had high attendance from people who were previously infected, either during the first wave or earlier in Elul and Tishrei.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2020, 03:27:58 PM »
It definitely seems more and more likely that people going about their regular business are not leading causes of the virus spreading, it's people coming in contact with people they don't normally come in contact with like weddings and maybe also camp.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2020, 03:30:49 PM »
It definitely seems more and more likely that people going about their regular business are not leading causes of the virus spreading, it's people coming in contact with people they don't normally come in contact with like weddings and maybe also camp.

Except for all those cases from shuls over RH... or the cases from schools... or the offices...

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2020, 03:34:06 PM »
Except for all those cases from shuls over RH... or the cases from schools... or the offices...
Yes, once it's spreading going about your daily business can continue the spread. That's why I said leading cause.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2020, 03:38:55 PM »
Yes, once it's spreading going about your daily business can continue the spread. That's why I said leading cause.

Leading cause for introduction into a community, maybe. Which highlights the importance of basic precautions to keep it from gaining a foothold and becoming prevalent in the community, which eventually turns our basic functions into avenues for spread (shuls, schools, etc.).

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2020, 11:03:51 PM »
Leading cause for introduction into a community, maybe. Which highlights the importance of basic precautions to keep it from gaining a foothold and becoming prevalent in the community, which eventually turns our basic functions into avenues for spread (shuls, schools, etc.).

On that note, here's something I noticed about my community. The vast majority of people here have not been had Covid so far. Since YT, there have been 4 positives. All of them were contracted from other communities. In fact, almost all of all the cases in my community were from outside the community, usually involving travel. The community is pretty split on taking precautions on an individual level, but the community gatherings have been 90% masked, with attempted SD.

I'm not drawing any conclusions. I'm well aware that this isn't NY or NJ. I just found it interesting.