Author Topic: What could Trump have done better?  (Read 8129 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
What could Trump have done better?
« on: October 26, 2020, 12:39:14 AM »
What could Trump have done to improve his odds of wining reelection, and why didn't he?

My initial thoughts.

1. Approved Covid testing in private run labs + finance extra capacity (Simply didn't understand pandemic may happen)

2. Encouraged mask wearing and low cost precautions (Genuinely did not care about people's lives, thought economy and perception of him would improve by minimizing the danger)

3. Closed border with Europe earlier (motivations #1 & 2)

4. Compromised with Pelosi on a second stimulus bill (succumbed to primal vindictive hatred and preferring spiting the local Democratic governments that overspent)

5. Attacking Joe Biden as senile - lost him senior votes who feel similar to Biden and are offended, but won him support from those who believe Biden is senile. Worth it?

6. Calling it 'The China Virus' - lost him the Asian American vote who feel hated (may flip TX), but deflected some blame from him and stoked hate to mobilize his base. Worth it?

״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: What could Trump have done better?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 12:50:40 AM »
He's doing great he doesn't need your advice at the moment

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 01:15:10 AM »
4. Compromised with Pelosi on a second stimulus bill (succumbed to primal vindictive hatred and preferring spiting the local Democratic governments that overspent)
I see this as completely Pelosi's fault. Holding aid to families hostage so that you can tack on a shopping list of government bailouts is unconscionable and grotesquely swamp-like. I don't care if you profess their importance from today until next millennium, governments should be allowed to go bankrupt if the flipside means American citizens losing their homes and businesses.

Yes, I am a Trump fan, but I generally can see things with some level of objectivity. (I didn't argue on any of your other points.) I was effected financially by covid, and I can really use a stimulus check. It didn't come through, and I put that blame squarely on Nancy Pelosi.

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 02:04:14 AM »
1-4 and 6 are things he should have done, not in order to be re-elected, but as part of the job he was elected for the first time.  He was responsible for overseeing the response to the pandemic, and he failed.  Why?  Lack of respect for advice from public health officials, among other reasons. 

5 relates to his campaign, and I just can't wrap my head around this.  Several people have posted Trump Team's videos, doctored to make Biden look senile.  It took 30 seconds to fact check one of them, which I posted here https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=116735.msg2327374#msg2327374, but most of the others also seem to be manipulated. 

Not everyone takes the time to google and fact check, but anyone who watched the debates, or other interviews with Biden, could see that he is not a fluent or brilliant speaker, but neither is he senile.  Why would they base their campaign on a claim that is so easily exposed as false?  Do they think Americans are so stupid?  Are they so stupid?  Do they not realize that there are real differences in policy that people would respond to?  I don't see this as costing him the senior vote, so much as the thinking-person's vote.

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 06:38:57 AM »
1-4 and 6 are things he should have done, not in order to be re-elected, but as part of the job he was elected for the first time.  He was responsible for overseeing the response to the pandemic, and he failed.  Why?  Lack of respect for advice from public health officials, among other reasons. 

5 relates to his campaign, and I just can't wrap my head around this.  Several people have posted Trump Team's videos, doctored to make Biden look senile.  It took 30 seconds to fact check one of them, which I posted here https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=116735.msg2327374#msg2327374, but most of the others also seem to be manipulated. 

Not everyone takes the time to google and fact check, but anyone who watched the debates, or other interviews with Biden, could see that he is not a fluent or brilliant speaker, but neither is he senile.  Why would they base their campaign on a claim that is so easily exposed as false?  Do they think Americans are so stupid?  Are they so stupid?  Do they not realize that there are real differences in policy that people would respond to?  I don't see this as costing him the senior vote, so much as the thinking-person's vote.

Biden appears to be in early stages of dementia. The Trump campaign’s videos exaggerate the extent of it, but Bided still DID say, on more than one occasion that he’s “running for the United States Senate”. There were other troubling things he said that show him clearly “losing it”. If he were a Republican, the media would have been all over this, all day, every day. But because they seek to protect Biden, they act as if this never happened.

His debate performance is irrelevant. He had time to prepare and rehearse lines over and over in his head (which he clearly did, as he was regurgitating what appeared to be prepared lines during the debate) whereas in live interviews He has gotten caught off guard and lost his train of thought multiple times.

Offline shmebeble

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 07:12:25 AM »
He's doing great he doesn't need your advice at the moment
C'mon man- that's malarkey

Offline Proisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 07:18:39 AM »
Trump is doing exactly what Trump wants to do.  If he did anything different he would not be Trump. This is why people love him. And yes he is going to crush this election. The night will end early for the democrats and big wins for the R.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 08:01:17 AM »
Trump should listen to Ben Shapiro every day.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 09:09:23 AM »
Trump is doing exactly what Trump wants to do.  If he did anything different he would not be Trump. This is why people love him. And yes he is going to crush this election. The night will end early for the democrats and big wins for the R.
I would like Trump to win and hope he does but I am not sure where you guys get such confidence from.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 10:42:35 AM »
I see this as completely Pelosi's fault.

That’s the childish part. Even if it is Pelosi’s fault, Trump would’ve definitely come out ahead by caving in to her and sending a second check while people are voting. So he put his emotions ahead of his interests. Pelosi on the other hand isn’t at risk of losing reelection.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 10:43:42 AM »
I would like Trump to win and hope he does but I am not sure where you guys get such confidence from.
They distrust the polls like they distrust the evidence of Covid spread.

Offline lev g

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 11:29:36 AM »
They distrust the polls like they distrust the evidence of Covid spread.

Fair enough, but if trumps wind then you can’t have any ta’anos on our approach to covid.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 11:32:20 AM »
That’s the childish part. Even if it is Pelosi’s fault, Trump would’ve definitely come out ahead by caving in to her and sending a second check while people are voting. So he put his emotions ahead of his interests. Pelosi on the other hand isn’t at risk of losing reelection.
So while you're at it Trump, I'm only signing if you do the kezatzka on a canoe while it's sliding down Mount Rushmore...

There are many Republicans who will have to live with the fact that they signed an unneeded Trillion dollars onto the deficit, and it will effect them negatively next time. Tacking on an unrelated expense and then saying "if your really want it passed, you could just give me my wish" does not make this Trump's fault. I don't think there are any American's who won't see through that.

Offline BP16

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 12:10:20 PM »
What could Trump have done to improve his odds of wining reelection, and why didn't he?

My initial thoughts.

1. Approved Covid testing in private run labs + finance extra capacity (Simply didn't understand pandemic may happen)

2. Encouraged mask wearing and low cost precautions (Genuinely did not care about people's lives, thought economy and perception of him would improve by minimizing the danger)

3. Closed border with Europe earlier (motivations #1 & 2)

5. Attacking Joe Biden as senile - lost him senior votes who feel similar to Biden and are offended, but won him support from those who believe Biden is senile. Worth it?

6. Calling it 'The China Virus' - lost him the Asian American vote who feel hated (may flip TX), but deflected some blame from him and stoked hate to mobilize his base. Worth it?
1. I dont think anything would really help besides lock everyone in like Biden, till you can get a vaccine. As you see its all over the world and when anyone starts to reopen its spreads.-again.

2. Even if he did encourage everyone to wear masks #1 not everyone would listen #2 its not like if you wear masks you wont catch the virus.

3. Even closing boarders there were millions of Americans traveling all over the world did you expect them to not allow in Americans?

4. Remember even if he would approve the massive bill from Pelosi it still have to pass the Senate and it wouldn't because as Trump said not bailing out bad run states now when millions of Americans need money in their pockets! even the Ds are upset with Pelosi you dont see any Rs complaining about the bill!

5. Not sure what you expected it is scary that he is running for President and he keeps on for getting what he is running for, which state he is, he is terrible with #s and so much more what he says make 0 sense and he gives so little interviews, and everyone who does get a chance for an interview its pre approved! You cant ignore it, if it costs him some senior vote because that's what the polls said? I guess time will tell.

6.You think the Asians who left communist China are upset that Trump is calling it the China Virus? I think by the left going Bernie and AOC+3 mode is costing them Asians and Hispanic votes because they know what a communist regime looks like. And yes the Polls in TX wasn't it also close in 2016? And then Trump Won by almost 800k? But again I guess time will tell.     

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 12:21:47 PM »
1. I dont think anything would really help besides lock everyone in like Biden, till you can get a vaccine. As you see its all over the world and when anyone starts to reopen its spreads.-again.

2. Even if he did encourage everyone to wear masks #1 not everyone would listen #2 its not like if you wear masks you wont catch the virus.

3. Even closing boarders there were millions of Americans traveling all over the world did you expect them to not allow in Americans?
This whole argument that no one could've done anything about the pandemic and every other country is as bad is such utter stupidity and nonsense. The US government at various levels has been preparing for a pandemic since at least the Bush administration, culminating in a literal playbook of what to do - and this administration ignored it for the most part. Even if there are some countries that are handling the pandemic doing as bad or worse than the US, many other countries are faring much better than we are to date - and there was no excuse for us to not be at the top of that list.

Offline BP16

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 12:35:53 PM »
This whole argument that no one could've done anything about the pandemic and every other country is as bad is such utter stupidity and nonsense. The US government at various levels has been preparing for a pandemic since at least the Bush administration, culminating in a literal playbook of what to do - and this administration ignored it for the most part. Even if there are some countries that are handling the pandemic doing as bad or worse than the US, many other countries are faring much better than we are to date - and there was no excuse for us to not be at the top of that list.
Well there was no virus like this one since Spanish Flu, And G-D forbid if the H1N1 would be as deadly because it effected 50M Americans. Any playbook would have failed as I said only option is lock everyone up.   

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 12:44:13 PM »
yes the Polls in TX wasn't it also close in 2016?
Nope, they weren’t. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/texas/
There were polls that gave Trump a 15% lead, the average was 9% which was dead right. Apply the average now and it’s 47.5%-47.5%.

Supporting Trump is legitimate, but don’t live in make believe.

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 12:51:38 PM »

Primarily, he shouldn't have publicly denigrated the virus, downplayed it, politicized it, and mocked restrictions due to it. The majority of the country thinks the virus is an extremely serious threat, and letting that become a referendum issue at the polls cost him the election. He should've spoken about the seriousness, need for testing, containment, mitigation, ect at every opportunity, instead of joking about how it's not so serious and the biggest problem was too much testing.

The reason he didn't do this is that he's an honest (albeit completely insane) man, who truly believes in everything he says, and truly believes the majority of the country agrees with him. He is incapable of changing his persona and pushing an agenda he doesn't believe in, just because polling would indicate such a move to be prudent (and he really believes that all polling is false, rigged, and a product of media spin and fabrication). A textbook clinical narcissist such as himself is incapable of seeing another person's position and acting accordingly, even if not doing so can cost him the presidency.

That being said, I'd still vote for him. Insane or not, he's still better than the left (and was probably Israel's biggest supporter of all USA presidents in history).

Offline Tomorrow

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 12:59:47 PM »

Primarily, he shouldn't have publicly denigrated the virus, downplayed it, politicized it, and mocked restrictions due to it.
The liberals did just this. In the beginning they denigrated the virus, downplayed it, politicized it. Then when they realized how much power it gave them the over politicized it way more than Trump.
Sorry if I ask so many questions, but life is short and there is so much to learn! Let's help each other be great!

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 01:03:28 PM »
He should pull Pence off the campaign trail, unless Pence didn't have close contact with his aids, in which case they should say so openly.