Author Topic: Maldives Round 2 - Waldorf Astoria Ithaafushi  (Read 19625 times)

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Maldives Round 2 - Waldorf Astoria Ithaafushi
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2020, 10:56:16 AM »
WOW!
I would never even leave the room!
In the 6 days I spent there, we barely left the room.

Offline Wizmanison

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2020, 05:54:49 PM »
Day 3

After spending the night trying to get Qatar to ticket an infant ticket unsuccessfully, I called it a night. We woke up early again since there’s not much to do at night here and every minute of the sun out here is amazing. I sent out my drone as the sun was rising and here are the pictures/videos of the resort:

And here are some of the room and water:

And here is one of those cool drone videos:

https://imgur.com/JZt7Ens

Or in GIF form (for some reason they upload in really bad quality):

And a video of the Sunrise:

After that it drizzled for like less than 5 minutes and then a rainbow appeared.

The weather was amazing today with pretty much clear skies and really hot. We headed to breakfast and saw this amazing view once again.

The chef today offered us options of kosher cereal to chose from that had an OU hechser which was nice of him. After that we biked around a bit with the baby and then went back to the villa to swim and snorkel. We saw again from the villa the nurse shark swimming by but by the time I would have got ready to jump in it was too late :/

Besides for that didn’t see anything else that interesting. Here are some more GoPro pics and a video that shows how clear the water is, the beautiful sand, and a school of fish:

Getting prepared for lunch and shabbat I went to the kitchen dining area and asked if I could take some stuff out my freezer bag. They asked me to wait 10 minutes while they have the bag brought here from their big freezer that was located elsewhere. As I was taking out several meals for the next 2 days the chef seemed perplexed as to how I intended on eating these frozen meals. Saying that usually his guests ask him to heat it in his oven. I gave him some vague answer that we would be fine and were used to it and went back to heat up some lunch!

Tried giving QR another try but their US call center was closed. Luckily I brought my Pixel 3XL from that deal around 2 years ago. I resumed my long paused service and made a wifi call to the India call center for .01 cent a minute. After 40 minutes there didn’t seem to be much success. They told me they would have to reach back out to me latest by Sunday to try to get approval to book this infant ticket. Escalating to a supervisor didn’t do much either so I guess I’ll call back again motzei shabbat.

After that sent the drone out again to get some pics of the villa and some family pics and after like 20 minutes I got a call from our butler, Ella, that drones are not permitted at the villa.

We brought in a beautiful Shabbat and heated our food for Friday night and Saturday before Shabbat came in so as to not leave the toaster oven on all of Shabbat for safety concerns.

Offline Wizmanison

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2020, 05:56:01 PM »
Day 4 Shabbat:

(No pictures for this update since it was shabbat)

We woke up to another amazing day with great weather. For Saturday lunch we heated it up before Shabbat came in to defrost and then kept it in the fridge till Saturday morning where we left it out in the sun for a couple hours. Surprisingly, when it came time to eat. The food was actually warm!

From our villa in the morning we saw two turtles. And then later in the day a couple that was snorkeling by our villa said they just saw a massive shark right in front of our villa where the reef ends. So while I got stuck staying with the baby :( my wife jumped in and saw a baby shark really close to her and the big fully grown shark in the distance. She got scared and rushed back. By the time I went out to get a look it swam away :(. However, I continued snorkeling but as it happens to be that on the day we don’t have a go pro we see an abundance of colorful and stunning fish! We will be going back tomorrow to get some pics though.

If I hadn’t mentioned it earlier they actually provide, like most of these hotels, complimentary snorkeling gear rentals and they are some pretty good equipment.

It was only today that I realized that although I initially thought the snorkeling was lacking compared to the SR. Since I remember the corals being less bleached and more fish life near the villa, that for the WA if you just venture out like another minute from your villa to the end of the reef there is a lot of beautiful fish. I also don’t recall ever seeing a shark or turtles from the SR so as of now it seems the WA is superior in that respect as well. Leaving the SR with not much else...

I did also notice that the butler service at the SR VS the “host” service at the WA is not comparable. Maybe I just landed on a mediocre host but I recall my butler at the SR always checking in on us and sending us fruit bowls. Whereas at the WA unless I WhatsApp my butler she doesn’t really offer anything or checkin. I had to ask for the snorkeling gear and we were never really given a proper tour of the place or anything like that. Not saying it’s necessarily bad service but in comparison to the SR I would say it’s lacking. The host here, when I do reach out, is very responsive and kind so no complaints about bad service.

Besides for that we just chilled most of the day. Took the baby to the kids program to play with the toys and enjoyed the villa.

I have to say the hotel in general seems really busy and more than just 50% occupied. I’ve noticed that at breakfast, kids club, and at other places the hotel is seems pretty full with rarely any open tables.

After shabbat, I tried again to speak to QR to book infant award and was able to finally book it with ease! I think the key is calling at a good time to get the Doha Call center to pick up rather than the India call center. Or, if Florida call center opens back up that should work as well.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 06:00:03 PM by Wizmanison »

Offline tavster

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2020, 12:03:00 AM »
Stunning pictures / videos

Offline sam28

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2020, 01:32:13 PM »
wow amazing write up and pictures keep it coming . did u take along the toaster oven all the way ?

Offline Wizmanison

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2020, 01:34:50 PM »
Stunning pictures / videos

Thank you!

wow amazing write up and pictures keep it coming . did u take along the toaster oven all the way ?

Will do! Yes got it from amazon and took it there and back :)

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2020, 10:26:47 PM »
Question about your toaster:

Were you able to plug it straight into the outlet in your room or did you still need to use one of those plug converters?

What's the difference between the one you got and this one? I know its only $5 difference but I'm just wondering.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074N96G98/ref=psdcmw_289938_t1_B0797LSVYF

Offline Wizmanison

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2020, 10:35:18 PM »
Question about your toaster:

Were you able to plug it straight into the outlet in your room or did you still need to use one of those plug converters?

What's the difference between the one you got and this one? I know its only $5 difference but I'm just wondering.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074N96G98/ref=psdcmw_289938_t1_B0797LSVYF
Yes I was able to plug is straight in. I guess that wasn’t available when I was looking. Looks similar to me.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2020, 10:45:28 PM »
Great TR.
Seems like if you prioritize snorkeling, the W is definitely the way to go.

Still want to hear more about SR vs WA. The butler sending us fruit baskets multiple times a day at the SR was amazing.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Wizmanison

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2020, 10:47:31 PM »
Great TR.
Seems like if you prioritize snorkeling, the W is definitely the way to go.

Still want to hear more about SR vs WA. The butler sending us fruit baskets multiple times a day at the SR was amazing.
Will post last part soon but the snorkeling gets better in the second half of my trip. Lots of reef sharks and rays. Don’t know much about the W snorkeling though. But, yes, the constant fruit baskets were missed at the WA.

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2021, 09:50:54 AM »
Will post last part soon but the snorkeling gets better in the second half of my trip. Lots of reef sharks and rays. Don’t know much about the W snorkeling though. But, yes, the constant fruit baskets were missed at the WA.
Amazing tr thanks!

Would also love to hear the SR/VS WA write up:)
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline SolN

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2024, 11:03:52 AM »
do they offer any kosher menu such as the st regis Maldives and the ritz Maldives ?
if not would they warm up my food or I would have to bring a hot logic?

Offline tavster

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2024, 11:06:22 AM »
do they offer any kosher menu such as the st regis Maldives and the ritz Maldives ?
They do.
They can warm up your food for a few
Or you can bring your hotlogic, they will store your food for free

Offline ual902

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2024, 01:04:47 AM »

WA offers a Kosher menu and it's a fortune.

Bring your own hot logic, they charge allot to warm up the food.

Offline bendor

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2024, 06:51:12 AM »
WA offers a Kosher menu and it's a fortune.

Bring your own hot logic, they charge allot to warm up the food.
How does that work, voltage wise, 110v to 220v?

Offline tavster

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2024, 06:52:01 AM »
How does that work, voltage wise, 110v to 220v?
Yes

Offline Mareh Makom

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2024, 05:16:39 AM »
Was at the W about 2 yrs ago and snorkeling is tops. Saw turtle, and multiple sightings of sharks and rays. It got to the point where i was to scared to go snorkeling because of the amount of sharks in the water