Author Topic: US to let citizens born in Jerusalem list Israel on their passports  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
Re: US to let citizens born in Jerusalem list Israel on their passports
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 07:46:01 PM »
The United States has issued its first passport with Israel listed as the place of birth to a U.S. citizen born in Jerusalem. Menachem Zivotofsky was the first to get such a passport, handed to him by U.S. Ambassador to Israel David Friedman at a brief ceremony at the U.S. embassy in Jerusalem.

“I am honored to receive this passport as a representative of the many American citizens who were born in Israel, who can now have their official government documents reflect the fact that they were born in Israel. I want to thank my parents who started this process, long before I understood anything,” said Zivotofsky, whose parents first applied 18 years ago to have his U.S. passport reflect that, as someone who was born in Jerusalem, his U.S. passport should show that he was born in Israel.

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 01:45:03 AM »
The United States has issued its first passport with Israel listed as the place of birth to a U.S. citizen born in Jerusalem. Menachem Zivotofsky was the first to get such a passport, handed to him by U.S. Ambassador to Israel David Friedman at a brief ceremony at the U.S. embassy in Jerusalem.

“I am honored to receive this passport as a representative of the many American citizens who were born in Israel, who can now have their official government documents reflect the fact that they were born in Israel. I want to thank my parents who started this process, long before I understood anything,” said Zivotofsky, whose parents first applied 18 years ago to have his U.S. passport reflect that, as someone who was born in Jerusalem, his U.S. passport should show that he was born in Israel.
The United States issued my Passport a number of years ago. I was born in Jerusalem and it lists Israel as the place of birth.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 07:37:16 AM »
The United States issued my Passport a number of years ago. I was born in Jerusalem and it lists Israel as the place of birth.
Does it list Jerusalem, Israel? (Hint: it doesn't) Or just Israel?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline B.D.Da'ehu

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 07:49:38 AM »
Does it list Jerusalem, Israel? (Hint: it doesn't) Or just Israel?
It doesn't say that now either.

A friend of mine just went to get his kids passport from the embassy in Jerusalem and he said they told him he now has the choice to either have just Jerusalem or just Israel on your passport. In the past they only wrote Jerusalem if you're born there, or Israel if you're born outside of Jerusalem.