Author Topic: President Joe Biden  (Read 5760 times)

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
President Joe Biden
« on: November 01, 2020, 08:34:57 AM »
There is a lot of panic among frum Trump supporters about the notion that Biden may be our next president. Although I am a Trump supporter and I really want Trump to win, I think the cause for panic is somewhat overblown.

From a simple perspective, I remember having that feeling when this former Muslim named Obama won, and Jews flocked to get passports. Yes, we may have had a few hiccups during his eight years, but we are all here to tell the tale. (Unless your name is Kayla Mueller).

Regarding the Supreme Court, which probably has the biggest consequence for frum Jews, I personally don't feel that Biden, or even Harris, will pack the courts. I think that they will not get enough votes from their own party in the House and Senate for it, and it is almost a guaranteed ticket for them to lose control of both branches of the legislature if they go ahead with it. The only reason they are not saying it now is because they don't want to turn off the radical left voters.

Without packing the supreme court, it is highly likely that they won't get any pivotal nominations over the next four years, maybe not even the next eight years. Steven Breyer is 82, so he may retire, but replacing him has little impact on the balance of powers in the court. Also, he may only retire if there is a Democrat president, so he'll try to hang on four years anyways if Trump win. Conservative Clarence Thomas also expressed interest in stepping down, but at 72, he will probably hold out four, or even eight years if a Democrat is president. (Alito is 70, so same thing with him.)

There are other issues at play also, but I think that looking at each one separately, we have reasons to vote for Trump, but not a reason to panic at the prospect of a Biden presidency.

Am I wrong?

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: President Joe Biden
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 08:41:17 AM »
From a simple perspective, I remember having that feeling when this former Muslim named Obama won, and Jews flocked to get passports.
Is this a joke or are you serious?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Proisrael

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 08:45:12 AM »

The guy threw Israel under the bus and made peace with its arch enemy. The guy lived up to his muslim name.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 08:52:03 AM »
The guy threw Israel under the bus and made peace with its arch enemy. The guy lived up to his muslim name.
I understand the racism part many of you have. I was asking more about this: "and Jews flocked to get passports"

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 09:04:32 AM »
There is a lot of panic among frum Trump supporters about the notion that Biden may be our next president. Although I am a Trump supporter and I really want Trump to win, I think the cause for panic is somewhat overblown.
Every 4 years there’s mass panic, and not just among the frum, It’s all over the country. The world already ended 4, 8, & 12 years ago. And it’s gonna end in 4 yeas & then in 8 years again. People are far too invested in it. Psychiatrists are making a killing election time. Everybody has to take a deep breath, go out & vote (besides those that have complete breakdowns election night) & do it again in 4 years.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 09:06:18 AM »
Every 4 years there’s mass panic, and not just among the frum, It’s all over the country. The world already ended 4, 8, & 12 years ago. And it’s gonna end in 4 yeas & then in 8 years again. People are far too invested in it. Psychiatrists are making a killing election time. Everybody has to take a deep breath, go out & vote (besides those that have complete breakdowns election night) & do it again in 4 years.
Even if it is crying wolf that doesn't mean the wolf is never going to show up.  ;)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 09:09:47 AM »

#newnormal #bipartisanpolarization
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 09:11:53 AM »
You are absolutely right. I will add that sometimes justices end their term in ways they would not have planned, but even if he does replace a conservative justice it would not change the balance if the court at this point.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 09:29:58 AM »
Serious, but I should have been more careful with my wording. "there were Jews who lined up to get passports" is accurate. Most didn't, so writing plain "Jews" was misleading. But yes, there was definitely a rush on passports then.

Don't forget, less than a century ago we were half wiped out by a ruler of a country. People like to have a passport when the future is unclear.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 09:34:28 AM »
Serious, but I should have been more careful with my wording. "there were Jews who lined up to get passports" is accurate. Most didn't, so writing plain "Jews" was misleading. But yes, there was definitely a rush on passports then.

Don't forget, less than a century ago we were half wiped out by a ruler of a country. People like to have a passport when the future is unclear.
Now if I said something like that I would be accused of of equating Trump with Hitler. Lets see if you are going to be accused of equating BO with Hitler. @Lurker

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 09:42:36 AM »
Now if I said something like that I would be accused of of equating Trump with Hitler. Lets see if you are going to be accused of equating BO with Hitler. @Lurker

He didn't equate BO with Hitler. He said there was a rush for passports because people were scared BO would be bad for the Jews, and they still had PTSD from Hitler. First, I think that the rush for passports is overblown. There were some who made it into a bigger deal than it was. Shocker. Second, fearing the unknown and calling the guy Hitler are not the same thing. I think you'd agree that Jews have a reason to fear the unknown. Third, BO turned out to be one of the worst presidents in history for Israel. Now, that doesn't justify anything, but the reality is, there are many American Jews who view US politics solely through the lens of what's best for Israel. This isn't news. You knew that.

Ultimately, BO wasn't Hitler and should never have been compared to him. I honestly don't think he was. If he was, that would be wrong. We good here?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 09:46:03 AM »
He didn't equate BO with Hitler. He said there was a rush for passports because people were scared BO would be bad for the Jews, and they still had PTSD from Hitler. First, I think that the rush for passports is overblown. There were some who made it into a bigger deal than it was. Shocker. Second, fearing the unknown and calling the guy Hitler are not the same thing. I think you'd agree that Jews have a reason to fear the unknown. Third, BO turned out to be one of the worst presidents in history for Israel. Now, that doesn't justify anything, but the reality is, there are many American Jews who view US politics solely through the lens of what's best for Israel. This isn't news. You knew that.

Ultimately, BO wasn't Hitler and should never have been compared to him. I honestly don't think he was. If he was, that would be wrong. We good here?
+1

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2020, 09:56:43 AM »
I don't think he was either. I am talking about the double standard (better word ?) where if I said that all the haters would be coming out of the woodwork saying I just called Trump Hitler. Now we are good.  :)

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2020, 09:58:30 AM »
I don't think he was either. I am talking about the double standard (better word ?) where if I said that all the haters would be coming out of the woodwork saying I just called Trump Hitler. Now we are good.  :)
There is a big difference between calling someone Hitler and getting a passport in case he turns out to be one.

Online Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2020, 10:05:57 AM »
@YitzyS The one issue I have with this thread, is it should be titled "President Kamala Harris"

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2020, 10:06:34 AM »
There is a big difference between calling someone Hitler and getting a passport in case he turns out to be one.
You should of let it go after @Lurker bailed you out.  :)
So now you are saying they got passports because they believe BO could turn out to be as bad as Hitler?

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2020, 10:12:58 AM »
You should of let it go after @Lurker bailed you out.  :)
So now you are saying they got passports because they believe BO could turn out to be as bad as Hitler?
Suspecting an unknown and getting a passport is okay. Getting up on national television and calling an unknown Hitler is not.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2020, 10:13:26 AM »
@YitzyS The one issue I have with this thread, is it should be titled "President Kamala Harris"
The point of this thread was to tone down the panic, not to ramp it up.

Online Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2020, 10:15:54 AM »
The point of this thread was to tone down the panic, not to ramp it up.
If Harris/Biden win. I will bet you, he doesn't complete a first term.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2020, 10:16:16 AM »
Suspecting an unknown and getting a passport is okay. Getting up on national television and calling an unknown Hitler is not.
...but when the unknown is based on ones own racist views that is not OK.