Author Topic: Anyone with experience from a Tree limb falling on your vehicle? Insurance? City  (Read 1385 times)

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
    Last week I had parked my car in my driveway overnight, a big huge limb from the city's tree fell on the front of my dashboard, smashing my whole windshield as well as damaging my hood and the two side parts of the front of the car.

Damaged some property as well including a fence/gate.

Now I have full coverage from GEICO with my windshield the glass.

In regards to the physical damage done to the vehicle I have $1,000 deductible if I want to claim for an act of God that damaged my vehicle.

While I put in a claim with the city to have the tree limb removed, they told me you can file a claim with the city's controller office to get money back from the city for the damage done.

Now the benefit of me doing that would be I don't have to pay $1,000 deductible to my insurance if I would go with them.  Assuming there's no deductible with the city.

Not quite sure what information they need on the form, it says police report(which I never did, while I do have pictures) it says they'll send down an inspector and etc.. not quite sure what I need and what I don't have to fill out, for example they ask for my social which don't feel comfortable putting.

Hence my question here is if anyone who had such a prior experience went through with a claim through the city and can tell me how they went about it?
  Thanks.

https://comptroller.nyc.gov/services/for-the-public/claims/file-a-claim/

https://portal.311.nyc.gov/article/?kanumber=KA-02138#:~:text=Call%20911%20to%20report%20a,threat%20to%20a%20person's%20life.&text=You%20can%20report%20City%20trees,parks%2C%20and%20other%20public%20places.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Good luck and most of these situations are act of G-d and your own insurance is responsible.
Neighbors tree fell on my fence and my insurance had to cover it.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
Never been through this, but after your $1,000 deductible and accounting for some increase in premiums due to this claim, is it worth making a claim?

Also, is there a time limit on how long you're able to make a claim for? I.e. maybe just wait to see what you get from the city and then make a claim if needed?

Offline Josef.koney

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    Last week I had parked my car in my driveway overnight, a big huge limb from the city's tree fell on the front of my dashboard, smashing my whole windshield as well as damaging my hood and the two side parts of the front of the car.

Damaged some property as well including a fence/gate.

Now I have full coverage from GEICO with my windshield the glass.

In regards to the physical damage done to the vehicle I have $1,000 deductible if I want to claim for an act of God that damaged my vehicle.

While I put in a claim with the city to have the tree limb removed, they told me you can file a claim with the city's controller office to get money back from the city for the damage done.

Now the benefit of me doing that would be I don't have to pay $1,000 deductible to my insurance if I would go with them.  Assuming there's no deductible with the city.

Not quite sure what information they need on the form, it says police report(which I never did, while I do have pictures) it says they'll send down an inspector and etc.. not quite sure what I need and what I don't have to fill out, for example they ask for my social which don't feel comfortable putting.

Hence my question here is if anyone who had such a prior experience went through with a claim through the city and can tell me how they went about it?
  Thanks.

https://comptroller.nyc.gov/services/for-the-public/claims/file-a-claim/

https://portal.311.nyc.gov/article/?kanumber=KA-02138#:~:text=Call%20911%20to%20report%20a,threat%20to%20a%20person's%20life.&text=You%20can%20report%20City%20trees,parks%2C%20and%20other%20public%20places.
From personal experience in Miami beach:
Car parked in public parking space. Tree hit the car. Called cops, got a damage report.
There seems to be different laws if the car is stable at the time of damage or if not (just btw)
Got the Clame started filing with city but seemed complicated.
Called insurance they said they can try to get the money from the city, if they get from the city, I'd not be charged deductible, however if they didn't get I would.
But they were very clear that my insurance wouldn't go up (even the 'good will credits for being a good drive scam etc'

Ended up doing that, few months later I was told the trees were owned by a sub company and to place the claim with them. Insurance did that. Got full approval for damage and no deductible. So far haven't seen any higher premiums. Thistle happened a little over 6 months ago I'd say

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
Good luck and most of these situations are act of G-d and your own insurance is responsible.
Neighbors tree fell on my fence and my insurance had to cover it.
True but they want a deductible which I rather not pay.

Never been through this, but after your $1,000 deductible and accounting for some increase in premiums due to this claim, is it worth making a claim?

Also, is there a time limit on how long you're able to make a claim for? I.e. maybe just wait to see what you get from the city and then make a claim if needed?
No, a tree limb they can't hold against you, so you don't have to worry about your premiums going up.
    If one God forbid gets into an accident then there's what to hold against you, as you were the cause of the accident, you caused the damage.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline NTorch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
Assuming there's no deductible with the city.

Deductibles are contractual and the amount of your deductible is a tradeoff for the premium on your policy.

Since you dont have an insurance agreement with the City there is no deductible, but I don't know anyone who has filed a tree limb claim against the City.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Lucky you.

Whenever are car lease is close to its end, and the car has some damage from regular use, I try to park near trees hoping for some קם ליה בדרבה מיניה damage.

I know someone who's car was totaled by a falling tree just as his lease was over (and he was going OOT for Pesach, so he had the added benefit of not worrying about alternate side parking).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
No, a tree limb they can't hold against you, so you don't have to worry about your premiums going up.
    If one God forbid gets into an accident then there's what to hold against you, as you were the cause of the accident, you caused the damage.
This is not necessarily true, insurance can increase from a claim on a parked car. This would be comprehensive, not collision, so I believe even if your rate increases it only be minimal.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.