Author Topic: Whoever hates apple, post here!  (Read 58229 times)

Offline Yitzter

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Whoever hates apple, post here!
« on: June 08, 2008, 02:06:57 PM »
I hate apple, so I want to piss off all the fanbois and make a topic just about how bad apple is.

Thank you. You all knew that this was going to have to happen eventually right!
"There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things

Offline E

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Whoever hates apple, post here!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 07:17:03 PM »
if your going to start a tread on why you hate apple you should at least outline some reasons!

Offline Scrable

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 07:18:08 PM »
if your going to start a tread on why you hate apple you should at least outline some reasons!
Thanks E! :)
Zalman.

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 07:45:49 PM »
As I already mentioned, apple's prices are bloated beyond any understanding. why is a macbook pro twice as much as the dell m1530 spec for spec?

They cripple everything. for example, the ipod nano, while it may be a decent player, it sucks. It doesn't have any good features. Most mp3 players have FM radio, expansion slots. Apple doesn't have that, and the nano is more expensive then players which have those options. The only reason people actually buy apple is so that they can say "look, I paid 3000 for my MBP, so it must be better then your crappy dell". That is beyond BS.

I can go on and on. It's erev yom tov I'll continue motzoi yom tov.

Good yom tov everyone, may you have all the blessings.
"There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 11:40:56 PM »
saying that apples prices are bloated is in no way going to get anyone mad, if you think the prices are two high don't buy apple! Although now with the release of the new iphone stating at $199 theres really no other phone with the same features for that price.

Offline sternlight

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 01:42:39 AM »
This is about as rational as "whoever hates latkes please post here." If you don't like it, don't use it. Nobody's forcing you.

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 03:34:05 AM »
This is about as rational as "whoever hates latkes please post here." If you don't like it, don't use it. Nobody's forcing you.

Not only do I NOT like them, I despise them, and tell people to stay away from them. Truth is, I don't care. I just like picking on them.

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 02:03:16 PM »
Not sure if I want to open this can of worms, but I'll just say for now that I DON'T hate Apple.

I hate their marketing, and possibly what the represent as a company lately, but they make decent products.

What bothers me is when people make the mistake of assuming they are still somehow superior platforms... they were once, but that ended about 5-10 years ago. Its become a sort of "boutique" brand name, and gives people the illusion of superiority.
THAT's what I don't like.

Hate is a very strong word.
I hate supid people. I don't hate the products that stupid people use.
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 04:36:31 PM »
Not sure if I want to open this can of worms, but I'll just say for now that I DON'T hate Apple.

I hate their marketing, and possibly what the represent as a company lately, but they make decent products.

What bothers me is when people make the mistake of assuming they are still somehow superior platforms... they were once, but that ended about 5-10 years ago. Its become a sort of "boutique" brand name, and gives people the illusion of superiority.
THAT's what I don't like.

Hate is a very strong word.
I hate supid people. I don't hate the products that stupid people use.
Mordy, I already mentioned that whole thing that people that use apple think it's better because it's got some "cool" features, jeez get over yourself macbois.

Btw, mordy, this guy no2chem is retarded, he's already holding beta G for the 5069 build. He seems pretty serious about not coming out with the 5070 before it's ready. I would love to see it when it comes out.

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 07:27:11 PM »
I can't say i "hate" Apple, but I have yet to see any good reason to spend so much extra money on their products.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 07:29:43 PM »
I hate Apple for not putting an removable battery on the Macbook Air...that is the hottest most crippled laptop I've ever seen.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 08:09:25 PM »
I hate Apple for not putting an removable battery on the Macbook Air...that is the hottest most crippled laptop I've ever seen.
I know. I can guarantee they are sitting and laughing away at how stupid people are. Who the hell buys a "portable" laptop only to find out that when the battery is dead, they can't do zilch. Instead they have to start looking for an outlet, jeez people are stupid.

Offline Scrable

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 08:11:47 PM »
Dan, i and most people are pist about it, thought the reason Apple made it like that is simple to what i understand, if thy made a removable battery then thy need to make a way to remove it, which leads to a lock or something which then makes it harder to make so thin, and Apple or any company for that matter wont do something no-1 likes cause thy dont like you, thy do it in many cases for out benefit. As Mordy said a while back that Apple did a bad move by going to Intel and said cause it was better when thy make every part them self's but on the other hand Apple did it for our benefit so we can get more apps and more support, which can lead more gamers to move to mac soon.

And those who say thy dont hate Apple but dont find a reason to pay so much for it, what are you talking about? Look at a Mac compared to other computers not on sale its not to much more like you all make it sound like, Apple has there reasons for not putting it on sale, thy prefer to keep to a price and not have you get the Mac, or rather thy will get you to but a mac cause a friend paid the price and showed you how good it was, that's exactly how i got mine, a friend piad about $2500 for a macbook pro, he said it was the best thing he did and he got me to buy my Mac, i made my own sale for my Mac, i bought it from Apple and got a student discount, and plus a got a free iPod for a back to school promo, which then got my Mac for about $300 less then regular, which i macbook that i got cost $1099 i got it for $799 cause i had an iPod from Costco which i returned cause i got the free one.

Dan, you would buy the Air if you where able to remove that battery?
Zalman.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 08:22:34 PM »
Dan, you would buy the Air if you where able to remove that battery?
Yes.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 08:52:57 PM »
Yes.
Look at the sony TZ. It's only 11" compared to the air's 13" and yet it still has a DVD Burner, and a removable battery, which lasts about 8 hours. Gimme a break.

Offline Avi

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 09:05:51 PM »
I hate Apple for not putting an removable battery on the Macbook Air
Same with the iPhone, no i don't hate apple, but who wants to spend a week or two without a phone every time the battery starts dying often (yes i know that usually it's not more than once or twice in the time the phone is in your possession). Other things  i don't like, they're very into their own software, and if you try to copy something off your ipod you might end up erasing your whole ipod.

Offline Scrable

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 09:10:45 PM »
Yes.
Well can't wait till thy have a removable battery, so like this i buy on and Dan gets a Mac.
Same with the iPhone, no i don't hate apple, but who wants to spend a week or two without a phone every time the battery starts dying often (yes i know that usually it's not more than once or twice in the time the phone is in your possession). Other things  i don't like, they're very into their own software, and if you try to copy something off your ipod you might end up erasing your whole ipod.
I dont know about you, but i charge my phone and iPod every night it dosent hurt, i dont see why others try taking advantage of the stand by time and then getting back fired in the face cause battery dead
Look at the sony TZ. It's only 11" compared to the air's 13" and yet it still has a DVD Burner, and a removable battery, which lasts about 8 hours. Gimme a break.

About that 11" i think it's clear thy did that to make it weigh less exactly the same reason you can't remove the battery so like this thy can make it thinner. Pepople want the bigger screen but thy don't want it to way more cause the screen which is why people like the fact that Apple got that bigger screen with that little weight.
Zalman.

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 09:28:28 PM »
let me ask everyone a question , do you hate prada, gucci .. no! they make products that cater to people that value form over function and quality , Apple is basically the same thing CEO Steve Jobs puts "form/design" very high on the list when building a product, the company tries to make, and obviously promote, that their products "function" well but there are sacrifices they have to make , now its fine if you don't like apple but why the hate what did they do to you, if you don't want just don't buy their products.

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 02:45:42 AM »
let me ask everyone a question , do you hate prada, gucci .. no! they make products that cater to people that value form over function and quality , Apple is basically the same thing CEO Steve Jobs puts "form/design" very high on the list when building a product, the company tries to make, and obviously promote, that their products "function" well but there are sacrifices they have to make , now its fine if you don't like apple but why the hate what did they do to you, if you don't want just don't buy their products.
I don't really "hate" them, I just like bashing them whenever I can. I hate people that buy into their marketing scheme. It's basically "we are better then thou" because we have a "white" laptop with all those ooh's and ahh's.

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
History Lesson
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 10:31:08 AM »
Ok, I said I wouldn't do this, but I can't help myself.
Darn you guys for bringing this upon us all...

A little history lesson:
Once upon a time, Apple really DID make products that were clearly superior.
In the home computer market, they had a natural advantage over the IBM/PC clones since they designed both the hardware AND the software.
This means that their products just worked properly without needing special drivers or worrying about third party hardware compatibility.
What made them truly superior however, was that this "one company" situation allowed them to adopt new concepts seemingly overnight, something that was nearly impossible on the MS Windows side of things.

For example, Macs had integrated digital audio support even in the late 80's, whereas IBM/PC's didn't until later when expensive third party hardware such as the Sound Blaster card with its own drivers was available and hopefully compatible with the software you were using. When CD-Roms first came out, you could plug an apple CD unit into a pre-CD era Mac, and it would just work by identifying itself to the OS. No drivers.
The Apple CPUs were also more efficient at certain processes. It is a little known fact that in the early 90's, Apple Motorola and IBM all teamed up together to design the next generation of home computer chip, using a concept called Reduced Instruction Set Computer (RISC). The idea here is that instead of boosting more Mhz to make a chip go faster, try to make it more efficient by requiring less steps to get the same answer. This would speed up computing times exponentially faster than trying to pump up the clock speed. It was supposed to be a collaborative effort to revolutionize the industry (not just for macs), and they called it the PowerPC chip.

The problem, however, is that the software has to be re-written to take advantage of it, otherwise you won't get any benefit at all. Since Apple also writes their software, Apple re-wrote their OS "overnight" to coincide with the release of this chip, however convincing Microsoft and the PC clone manufacturers do try this was a different story.
Microsoft and other third party developers weren't interesting in re-writing all their code for a new architecture unless it really took over as the new standard and it would never become the new standard unless the software was available to run on it.
I think IBM ended up using the PowerPC in some rare server-based solutions, but otherwise the PowerPC became a Mac-only game, never being adopted into the Windows platform.

So, the result of all this is that while the Windows PC was far more popular (cheaper hardware, more options available), the Mac was actually a superior device, albeit an unsung underdog. The RISC processing made certain applications, specifically graphics-oriented ones, actually give results in less time, and in that respect were faster than the Windows equivalent, even at lower Mhz clock speeds. This is why the Mac became a standard in the graphics workplace and environment. Apple embraced that concept and used it to market themselves as the "classier" computer, focusing on unique minimalist designs for their hardware and filling their OS with visually stunning effects to "elicit creativity".

However, fast forward to the last decade when AMD was giving Intel a run for their money. Intel had always come up with the latest architecture for Windows PCs until AMD started beating them to the punch. It became a race; Intel would release a chip, AMD would follow up with a faster version. Intel would release one faster than AMD, repeat process. Each one was taking turns playing catch-up with the other.
This was actually GREAT for the PC community because it created an artificial acceleration of released technology- the Windows PC chips were evolving at a rate far faster than Motorola could engineer for Apple.
At some point, Apple had to admit that perhaps they were NOT the fastest/most efficient computer in town anymore. This is why they adopted the Intel Core 2 Duo architecture, and once again re-wrote their OS to work on a new technology, a move that enfuriated many die hard Apple fans who consider it a defeat.

Apple has lost its status as the technically superior (hardware-wise) computer since it is actually now running the SAME EXACT x86 hardware as Windows PCs. The result is that you see people buying Macs and installing Windows, and you see people buying PC's and installing a hacked Apple OSX. They're pretty much interchangeable nowadays. Macs still are, and have always been more expensive than similarly spec'ed Windows PCs, so then what is the justification for spending more when the hardware is identical?

Thankfully for Apple, their saving grace is that they already had the reputation of the being the Artistic/Classier computer, so they started riding that in their marketing instead. They are no longer technologically superior, or even exclusive in their OS- You're paying for glitz and glam on the packaging, and rights to brag about being the latest member of the "Jobs' Squad".

About a decade ago, I was still a big fan of Apple products, and I hoped that one day they would finally get the credit they deserved. Now, thankfully they have far better marketing and are getting lots of recognition- but the problem is that now I feel they no longer deserve it.
When someone works in graphic design, and is told they "need to have mac to do that", it makes me angry. When someone thinks the iPod is the quintessential media player, despite the fact that it has far less features than cheaper devices, it makes me angry. When someone thinks that their iPhone is somehow superior to... well, then ANYTHING really (seriously, the "free with activation phones" often support more features than the iPhone) it makes me angry.

Am I angry at Apple?
No. I'm angry at the people.
Their products are good, and easy to use especially for people who aren't so technically inclined. However, their products also lack advanced features and the raw power that is available elsewhere. The problem is when people are fooled into thinking they are techincally superior in some way. If everyone would see what Apple is- namely, a company that offers good-looking simple products for people who don't want or can't figure out the more complicated versions- I don't think even Yitzter would have a problem with them.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 11:25:53 AM by Mordy »
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com