Author Topic: DDF RV Photo DO  (Read 22516 times)

Offline Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: DDF RV Photo DO
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2020, 09:07:43 AM »
I believe Kings Canyon not being RV friendly, but double-check Sequoia, which I don't recall presenting the same issues. They're adjacent and usually done together, but the massive trees of Sequoia are amazing and worthwhile in their own right. The Congress Trail is a must!

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2020, 09:18:20 AM »
Roughly 30' long and 13' high I think.
I agree. Navigating Sequoia would be near impossible.

Offline yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2020, 09:18:58 AM »
We did canyonlands. Preferred dead horse.
Great Basin seems like a shlep. May do death valley though.
I only did canyonlands, but was told by locals that they preferred dead horse as well

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2020, 11:12:52 AM »
Dead Horse was nice but we got nowhere.

Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Joe4007

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2020, 12:26:06 PM »
Dead Horse was nice but we got nowhere.

As if it is the sign that chose not to be a national park...

Online KSMH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2020, 11:16:56 PM »

A. If you're comparing everyday RV rental prices vs. car and hotel, it's not even a question - hotels are indeed cheaper.
Not only the costs involved in the actual rental, but gas consumption is insane (IME 6-7 MPG!).

B. Generally speaking, most deals are last minute, you can't plan far in advance if you want a deal.
Upkeep is really not a big deal if you're renting, once you get the hang of it.

No doubt driving takes longer, but not x2! E.g. if everyone else is going 80 and you're going 70, that wouldn't be x2.
IMHO it has nothing to do with how large the group is (going with a large family may actually prove impractical for an RV, unless you get those real mega sizes that some of the biggest rental companies don't even have in their fleet). In fact, I believe it's the perfect thing for a couple. The experience it provides is really unforgettable.

I tried it for a night, not looking forward to it again.

It takes 2x to drive...., sorry 1.5. Rural county roads can easily handle 90 while an RV is pulling 65 or so, then goes the start and stop....

Obviously its up to each persons liking.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2020, 11:19:02 PM »
This really belongs in THIS thread, but I'll answer it here since it was asked.

So how do you go about getting a deal for an RV? I think I looked into it until I realized hotels are cheaper.

A. If you're comparing everyday RV rental prices vs. car and hotel, it's not even a question - hotels are indeed cheaper.
Not only taking in to account the costs involved in the actual rental, but gas consumption is insane (IME 6-7 MPG!).

B. Generally speaking, most deals are last minute, you can't plan far in advance if you want a deal.

I had a friend that did it, takes a lot of time for upkeep
Upkeep is really not a big deal if you're renting, once you get the hang of it.

and driving takes x2 as long...

No doubt driving takes longer, but not x2! E.g. if everyone else is going 80 and you're going 70, that wouldn't be x2.

If one has a large family and/or ample time it might be worth it.
IMHO it has nothing to do with how large the group is (going with a large family may actually prove impractical for an RV, unless you get those real mega sizes that some of the biggest rental companies don't even have in their fleet). In fact, I believe it's the perfect thing for a couple. The experience it provides is really unforgettable.

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2020, 11:30:16 PM »

I tried it for a night, not looking forward to it again.

It takes 2x to drive...., sorry 1.5. Rural county roads can easily handle 90 while an RV is pulling 65 or so, then goes the start and stop....

Obviously its up to each persons liking.
I'm not trying to convince you, but it's not really about "trying it for a night". I don't think anyone would like it if they just took it for a test drive for a night. I mean it's not the biggest joy to drive on the highway while everyone is cruising right by you and you have your pedal to the metal. Never mind that the whole RV at times feels so shaky you're hoping it doesn't fall apart, lol. It's not a fun vehicle to drive in any sense of the word, and it can be a real headache when driving through real city.

The real joy is for folks who know what road-trips are like, the pain in finding and driving to a hotel every night, packing in and packing out etc, especially with kids.

I completely agree, it's not for everybody.

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2020, 11:45:25 PM »
Arches, Dead Horse, and Bryce blew me away. Incredible.
Zion was nice, but so touristy.
Incredible they are. Curious, where'd you go within Zion? I'm wondering if that may explain your feelings...

Offline Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2020, 09:32:57 AM »
No updates. Guess what happens in Vegas will always stay in Vegas.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2020, 09:34:10 AM »
Incredible they are. Curious, where'd you go within Zion? I'm wondering if that may explain your feelings...
IMO Zion NP is one of the most beautiful and picturesque places in the US.

Offline ltttc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2020, 09:56:57 AM »
I'm heading there next week. Any suggestions about where to stop/hike? I don't have too much time though - about 5-6 hours

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2020, 10:15:46 AM »
No updates. Guess what happens in Vegas will always stay in Vegas.
See DD Insta stories.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2020, 10:56:35 AM »
I'm heading there next week. Any suggestions about where to stop/hike? I don't have too much time though - about 5-6 hours
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=27877.195

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2020, 12:53:59 PM »
How do you drive the behemoth on winding mountain roads? Or do you have to meticulously plan a route to avoid them?

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2020, 09:50:34 PM »
It's interesting. I agree somewhat but IMHO it differs from other known parks in a certain sense.

A. Unlike famous attractions e.g. the Grand Canyon or Bryce Canyon that no matter which viewpoint you go to, you'll be awed (perhaps some points are better than others, or better sunrise/sunset etc., but even at the worst viewpoints, you're still wowed to some extent -if you haven't yet been exposed to the better lookouts). You can drive in for an hour, never have looked at any guidebook or map, or gotten any tips from anyone, go to a lookout and just be blown away.

Zion is different. There's no one central attraction (technically the valley is). You can go spend a few hours in the park and come out saying it was lame. Unlike the aforementioned NP's, by Zion it's really about knowing beforehand where to go. Even asking rangers you'll get so many different opinions what you should see (IME).

B. Another difference is, to really see Zion you must hike. It doesn't have to be one as scary as Angel's Landing, but without hiking even a short hike to see the valley, don't bother going to the park IMHO. And I say this as someone who avoids hikes at every possibility (blame it on the kids).
But like I said above, key is to know which hikes to go on, as some may be really not that exciting.

C. Roads outside the park are nicer than what you may see inside the park (if you don't hike). The road leading to the park is incredibly gorgeous.

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2020, 09:56:03 PM »
How do you drive the behemoth on winding mountain roads? Or do you have to meticulously plan a route to avoid them?
Not a big deal. It fits on most roads besides for some known exceptions which don't allow RV's. But generally speaking you don't have to make any special adjustments to your route.

Disclaimer: I've only driven RV's in the summer, winter is a whole different ballgame. Though that applies to all vehicles and roads in NP's as a whole.

Offline JudahMcB

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2020, 10:25:31 PM »
I mean it's not the biggest joy to drive on the highway while everyone is cruising right by you and you have your pedal to the metal.... The real joy is for folks who know what road-trips are like, the pain in finding and driving to a hotel every night, packing in and packing out etc, especially with kids.

+1000. As a driver you aren't going to love driving an RV. But you will love the fact that there is no fighting in the backseat. No more "are we there yet?" No more pit stops every 60 miles to use the bathroom or to eat lunch or to stretch your legs. It's true that you're not going to drive 90 MPH but since you also rarely need to stop (except for gas) it probably balances out in the end.

On our RV trips my kids have played board games, cards (on a real table), put their feet up on the couch, draw and color while DW prepares meals and snacks all while going 60 down the highway. Try doing that in your Pacifica.

Offline ltttc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2020, 05:32:57 PM »

But like I said above, key is to know which hikes to go on, as some may be really not that exciting.
Which hikes do you recommend?

Offline Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2020, 08:49:52 PM »
The 2 most iconic hikes in Zion are the Narrows (though check water temp and water level to see if it's safe or even open) and Angel's Landing (not for those with any fear of heights).