Author Topic: CIA Wikileaks- will dumbphones be the wave of the future?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
CIA Wikileaks- will dumbphones be the wave of the future?
« on: March 07, 2017, 05:35:10 PM »
Apparently the CIA can use the video/audio on just about any smartphone platform to record you at will. They can do the same with pc's and smart TV's even after they are turned off. And it seems they are working on being able to take control of automobiles as well. Are we going to see a trend of people switching to dumb phone and non internet connected homes etc. for fear of big brother eavesdropping?  A smart home probably has dozens of points of entry for someone wanting to eavesdrop. I'd certainly think twice about getting Alexa if it is likely a 24/7 mic to whomever would like to be listening in......obviously a problem for anyone who has something to hide. But even for the rest of us who is comfortable with being potentially monitored 24/7? Then theres the problem of other hackers exploiting the same vulnerabilities for their purposes. All in all pretty unsettling.

Offline hachover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: CIA Wikileaks- will dumbphones be the wave of the future?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 05:44:48 PM »
Dumbphones won't be the wave of the future. Advancing technology is the wave of the future. Integrated devices are the wave of the future. More and more devices and appliances will join the 'internet of things' and listening/monitoring devices will become increasingly ubiquitous. It will affect everything you can think of, down to your lightbulbs being able to see you enter/leave a room and turn themselves on/off.  Mark my words - there are far more people who think this stuff is cool and want to be early adopters of every technology than people who fear it. Stuff that is accepted by early adopters eventually gets picked up by the mainstream. The ones who think we should hunker down in caves are relegated to the fringe.

I get your concerns, and I agree that steps will be taken to protect privacy, but it won't involve ditching technology.
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline cmey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 06:20:29 PM »
I'm not so sure. Take for example how there are some things today in many settings that are not shared via email or even over the phone, rather using 19th century technology- meeting in person. There may well be many functions/ interactions that will revert to dumb technology due to the near certainty of their privacy being compromised. I'm not suggesting that smartphones will be wiped off the planet, just that there will likely be many people who will limit smart technology in many areas of there lives....
For example:
http://sfglobe.com/2016/01/06/stranger-hacks-familys-baby-monitor-and-talks-to-child-at-night/
I would never leave a baby monitor even turned off in my bedroom.....
Dumbphones won't be the wave of the future. Advancing technology is the wave of the future. Integrated devices are the wave of the future. More and more devices and appliances will join the 'internet of things' and listening/monitoring devices will become increasingly ubiquitous. It will affect everything you can think of, down to your lightbulbs being able to see you enter/leave a room and turn themselves on/off.  Mark my words - there are far more people who think this stuff is cool and want to be early adopters of every technology than people who fear it. Stuff that is accepted by early adopters eventually gets picked up by the mainstream. The ones who think we should hunker down in caves are relegated to the fringe.

I get your concerns, and I agree that steps will be taken to protect privacy, but it won't involve ditching technology.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 06:27:07 PM by cmey »

Offline madhocker

• View Profile

Offline lover of truth

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 04:44:31 AM »
Any drug dealers or terrorist here (or alt-right)?
who cares if the government listens or sees inside my house

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 08:06:59 AM »
Any drug dealers or terrorist here (or alt-right)?
who cares if the government listens or sees inside my house

Naive question with many answers, I gave Chat GPT the honor of answering.

The government's ability to spy on innocent individuals can have far-reaching consequences for our basic rights and freedoms. While you may believe that you have nothing to hide, it is still important to care about government surveillance and demand transparency and accountability from those in power. Here are a few reasons why:

First, privacy is a fundamental right, and the government's ability to spy on you without your knowledge or consent violates this basic right. This can lead to a chilling effect on your freedom of expression and association.

Second, surveillance can be abused, leading to the targeting of individuals or groups based on political beliefs, race, religion, or other factors. This can have a chilling effect on free speech and dissent and can lead to discrimination and harassment.

Third, mass surveillance undermines democracy by creating a power imbalance between the government and its citizens, leading to a lack of trust and transparency in government institutions.

Fourth, the information collected through surveillance can be used against you in various ways, including for criminal investigations or to deny you certain rights or opportunities. Additionally, bad faith hackers gaining access to government spying tools and data is a major concern. When the government collects data on individuals, it is stored in databases that can be vulnerable to hacking or other forms of unauthorized access. If this data (eta: or spying tools) falls into the wrong hands, it can be used for nefarious purposes, such as identity theft, blackmail, or cyber attacks.

Finally, government spying can be used to target and silence activists or other dissenting voices, which can have a chilling effect on free speech and can undermine democracy.

In summary, it is important to consider the potential for misuse of government spying tools and data and to advocate for strong security measures to protect against hacking and unauthorized access. It is also important to ensure that government surveillance is conducted in a transparent and accountable manner, with clear guidelines and oversight to prevent abuse.
Visibly Jewish

Offline lover of truth

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 08:15:38 AM »
Naive question with many answers, I gave Chat GPT the honor of answering.

The government's ability to spy on innocent individuals can have far-reaching consequences for our basic rights and freedoms. While you may believe that you have nothing to hide, it is still important to care about government surveillance and demand transparency and accountability from those in power. Here are a few reasons why:

First, privacy is a fundamental right, and the government's ability to spy on you without your knowledge or consent violates this basic right. This can lead to a chilling effect on your freedom of expression and association.

Second, surveillance can be abused, leading to the targeting of individuals or groups based on political beliefs, race, religion, or other factors. This can have a chilling effect on free speech and dissent and can lead to discrimination and harassment.

Third, mass surveillance undermines democracy by creating a power imbalance between the government and its citizens, leading to a lack of trust and transparency in government institutions.

Fourth, the information collected through surveillance can be used against you in various ways, including for criminal investigations or to deny you certain rights or opportunities. Additionally, bad faith hackers gaining access to government spying tools and data is a major concern. When the government collects data on individuals, it is stored in databases that can be vulnerable to hacking or other forms of unauthorized access. If this data (eta: or spying tools) falls into the wrong hands, it can be used for nefarious purposes, such as identity theft, blackmail, or cyber attacks.

Finally, government spying can be used to target and silence activists or other dissenting voices, which can have a chilling effect on free speech and can undermine democracy.

In summary, it is important to consider the potential for misuse of government spying tools and data and to advocate for strong security measures to protect against hacking and unauthorized access. It is also important to ensure that government surveillance is conducted in a transparent and accountable manner, with clear guidelines and oversight to prevent abuse.
Exactly!
All of this is of no relevance to normal person who probaly will never have criminal case against him
Also the right to privacy is anyway baloney bec the nsa records all calls even on dumbphones and this can also be used in case of criminal investigation

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 10:27:15 AM »
Exactly!
All of this is of no relevance to normal person who probaly will never have criminal case against him
Also the right to privacy is anyway baloney bec the nsa records all calls even on dumbphones and this can also be used in case of criminal investigation
???