Author Topic: Child Savings Fund for Wedding  (Read 2885 times)

Offline dovy2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Child Savings Fund for Wedding
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2022, 09:09:26 AM »
What I meant to say is that if you don't see another way besides going with what's " standard " you will obviously need a lot more at that point, and inflation is part of it, but more importantly it's the standards that is constantly upgraded. Vs if you could say today, I'll marry off according to my own budget and saving goals
In many circles (is it just chassidic?) The standards are BH getting less and less.. and this trend will hopefully continue

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2022, 09:28:02 AM »
In many circles (is it just chassidic?) The standards are BH getting less and less.. and this trend will hopefully continue
One can only hope, and pray, I'm saving up and investing in my kid's at the same time
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2022, 09:42:24 AM »

For the wedding day itself, or for the overall package (vort+gifts+aufruf+wedding+SBS+clothing+furnishings)? The combination can easily be well over $100k, even if wedding itself is only $20k. In general, I think chassidish marriage packages cost more than litvishe, although the litvishe pay for it over the next few years in support. Focusing just on wedding day expenses is a bit of a straw man at this point.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2022, 09:50:50 AM »

That standards for what?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2022, 09:55:22 AM »
There's an inverse relationship between her chosson's stone size and her stone size (or grading or naturalness, which nobody can tell difference between anyways)?

I'm just saying this because i haven't married off any kids. I think it won't happen to me, but it probably will. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the jaw.

I am not sure what you mean by this. You are dealing with a girl who met her chosson's parents 2 or 3 times and interacted with them for less than an hour. She likely has preconceived notions about what to expect from someone in their financial standing. A girl engaged to the son of a rebbi likely has lower expectations than one engaged to the son of a real estate manager. But the expectations exist and it is not great if she feels that they were being cheap.

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2022, 10:45:12 AM »
For the wedding day itself, or for the overall package (vort+gifts+aufruf+wedding+SBS+clothing+furnishings)? The combination can easily be well over $100k, even if wedding itself is only $20k. In general, I think chassidish marriage packages cost more than litvishe, although the litvishe pay for it over the next few years in support. Focusing just on wedding day expenses is a bit of a straw man at this point.

In the interests of keeping people calm I would point out that we B"H made a chassuna a few weeks ago and our cost was less than half of these numbers. And upon further review, we could have probably cut out another 3-5K or so.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2022, 10:47:17 AM »
In the interests of keeping people calm I would point out that we B"H made a chassuna a few weeks ago and our cost was less than half of these numbers. And upon further review, we could have probably cut out another 3-5K or so.
Those numbers are very high. There is no need for a wedding to cost 20k for either side. Takana packages are way below that.

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2022, 10:56:29 AM »
Those numbers are very high. There is no need for a wedding to cost 20k for either side. Takana packages are way below that.

I'm including all costs, l'chaim thru wedding. Wedding itself was takana package with minor upgrades, total was around 13K.

Online Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2022, 10:58:46 AM »
Mazel Tov!!

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2022, 11:18:03 AM »
I'm including all costs, l'chaim thru wedding. Wedding itself was takana package with minor upgrades, total was around 13K.
100k is ridiculously high.

Online skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2022, 12:57:05 PM »
I am sure that your daughter in law will understand that is why she got a stone 1/3 the size of all her friends.
...She likely has preconceived notions about what to expect from someone in their financial standing. ... But the expectations exist and it is not great if she feels that they were being cheap.
Once we're talking about investing for/in you kids... instill from a young age in your kids to not have expectations when it comes to money and lifestyle, and to value that quality in a spouse. I'm not saying this because it makes the parents' life easier when it comes to making the simcha, I'm saying that because it makes shalom bayis a lot easier for the rest of their lives.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2022, 01:05:10 PM »
Once we're talking about investing for/in you kids... instill from a young age in your kids to not have expectations when it comes to money and lifestyle, and to value that quality in a spouse. I'm not saying this because it makes the parents' life easier when it comes to making the simcha, I'm saying that because it makes shalom bayis a lot easier for the rest of their lives.
+100000000000 that will help them  better than any financial support.

Offline solmeir

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2022, 03:31:03 PM »
I see this treat has veered from saving for the chasunah to cutting costs. Although I have a few years until my oldest comes of age, I think it would be a great service if someone can put together a few real life examples from different people and different communities what the expenses were. It would give many of us what to compare to when planning and budgeting. Anyone ever did this already?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2022, 03:38:37 PM »
I see this treat has veered from saving for the chasunah to cutting costs. Although I have a few years until my oldest comes of age, I think it would be a great service if someone can put together a few real life examples from different people and different communities what the expenses were. It would give many of us what to compare to when planning and budgeting. Anyone ever did this already?
Cutting costs is saving money.

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2022, 06:46:10 PM »

Mishpacha had a couple of articles doing this. I think it was discussed on the forums too.

https://mishpacha.com/at-all-costs/
https://mishpacha.com/at-all-costs-the-conversation-continues/
https://mishpacha.com/at-all-costs-the-conversation-continues-2/