Author Topic: Most addictive ipod/iphone games  (Read 9938 times)

Offline yossi4k

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club National Executive Elite Sixt Platinum
Re: Most addictive ipod/iphone games
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2011, 10:49:57 AM »
ur right... my post they all cost but i got them free thru installous (jailbreak) and im sure u can get most of these there too.
Just curious if anybody ever asked a competent rabbi about downloading cracked games eg. via installous?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2011, 10:54:39 AM »
Your asking if anyone ever asked a rabbi if its permited to steal. I doubt it....
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2011, 11:03:14 AM »
Your asking if anyone ever asked a rabbi if its permited to steal. I doubt it....
Believe it or not, Halachic stealing does not follow the US government copyright infringement laws. In fact many of the copyright infringement laws don't follow the US constitution. So just because Congress or the supreme court legally or illegally decided that something is stealing, doesn't make it so l'halacha. Halachically in order to be oiver gezel you have to phisically (baring possible Karka and other specific exception) remove the item from one person's reshus and into another person's reshus. I don't see how it is happening in a case of cracking software.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS HALACHICALLY MUTAR (in bold and caps so that I can say "I even put it in bold and caps" when someone says that I said it is mutar)
There are various other halachic issurim, such as hezek and hasagas gevul. But Gezel it's not
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline yossi4k

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club National Executive Elite Sixt Platinum
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2011, 11:11:24 AM »
Believe it or not, Halachic stealing does not follow the US government copyright infringement laws. In fact many of the copyright infringement laws don't follow the US constitution. So just because Congress or the supreme court legally or illegally decided that something is stealing, doesn't make it so l'halacha. Halachically in order to be oiver gezel you have to phisically (baring possible Karka and other specific exception) remove the item from one person's reshus and into another person's reshus. I don't see how it is happening in a case of cracking software.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS HALACHICALLY MUTAR (in bold and caps so that I can say "I even put it in bold and caps" when someone says that I said it is mutar)
There are various other halachic issurim, such as hezek and hasagas gevul. But Gezel it's not
Well said. It sounds to me like a similar question to copying/downloading someones else's music...

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2011, 11:13:26 AM »
Well said. It sounds to me like a similar question to copying/downloading someones else's music...
Yup. Again, I'm not saying it's mutar, but it's not gezel. Contrary to popular belief, US gov't does not dictate halacha
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 11:25:04 AM by Chaikel »

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2011, 11:17:06 AM »
Yup. Again, I'm saying it's mutar, but it's not gezel. Contrary to popular belief, US gov't does not dictate halacha

Wat about dina di'malchusa dina

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2011, 11:20:31 AM »
??? Doesn't dictate hilchchos gezel. The point I repeated (even in bold and caps) was that it might not be mutar, but isn't gezel

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2011, 11:21:38 AM »
Yup. Again, I'm saying it's mutar
You prob mean NOT mutar.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2011, 11:25:08 AM »
You prob mean NOT mutar.

Freudian slip :P
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2011, 11:25:28 AM »
You prob mean NOT mutar.
Not quite, but thanks I fixed it

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2011, 11:26:19 AM »
Freudian slip :P
Lol. I've heard shiurim go either way

Offline bubbles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2011, 11:49:04 AM »

That only applies to laws that they themselves keep. I'm sure you have driven atleast one mile over the speed limit in your life? Or perhaps jay walked?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2011, 11:58:12 AM »
That only applies to laws that they themselves keep. I'm sure you have driven atleast one mile over the speed limit in your life? Or perhaps jay walked?
By "they themselves" to whom are you referring? the founding father, congress, judges, american populous, criminals? Just because some people break laws therefore we are all allowed to break laws. Here I thought as Jews we held ourselves to a higher standard.

Offline bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2011, 12:06:12 PM »
By "they themselves" to whom are you referring? the founding father, congress, judges, american populous, criminals? Just because some people break laws therefore we are all allowed to break laws. Here I thought as Jews we held ourselves to a higher standard.

I believe its judged by the poulous of the malchus where the din is. You don't have to keep any laws which they themselves overall are not makpid on. But please feel free to drive exactly 65 and never roll thru a stop sign. Ever bought alcohol before you turned 21?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2011, 12:16:32 PM »
I believe its judged by the poulous of the malchus where the din is. You don't have to keep any laws which they themselves overall are not makpid on. But please feel free to drive exactly 65 and never roll thru a stop sign. Ever bought alcohol before you turned 21?
Granted but for the discussion at hand the question is where do you draw the line? Maybe the halcha follows what the government actually punishes as a crime. As in your example going 5 over won't get you a ticket but going 11 over could so possibly driving 11 over the speed limit is going against halacha?

Offline bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2011, 12:20:18 PM »
Granted but for the discussion at hand the question is where do you draw the line? Maybe the halcha follows what the government actually punishes as a crime. As in your example going 5 over won't get you a ticket but going 11 over could so possibly driving 11 over the speed limit is going against halacha?

Ask your LOR. And have you ever heard of them punishing someone for downloading cracked games?.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2011, 12:23:39 PM »
Ask your LOR. And have you ever heard of them punishing someone for downloading cracked games?.

It's not criminal (AFAIK). In civil court people/companies get fined/penalized all the time for IP infringement.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2011, 12:32:59 PM »
Why lor? you seemed content paskaning halacha 5 posts ago... I was asking if getting punished equates going against halacha not saying that it does... I don't mean to come across as arguing with you I am also curious what the halacha is. Until now I assumed it was obviously breaking halacha, but i am not complaining if I am wrong I have done my fair share of "ilegal" downloading...

Offline bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2011, 01:11:50 PM »
Why lor? you seemed content paskaning halacha 5 posts ago... I was asking if getting punished equates going against halacha not saying that it does... I don't mean to come across as arguing with you I am also curious what the halacha is. Until now I assumed it was obviously breaking halacha, but i am not complaining if I am wrong I have done my fair share of "ilegal" downloading...

Lor because I realize that unfortunately I am not even close to be holding by paskening shailos. 5 posts ago I was just informing you of something that I had heard which would make it seem that its not so pashut that its assur. Once you want a psak on a specific case I felt the need to fall back on the LOR response

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2011, 01:17:14 PM »
BTW the same thing applies to mooching wifi, even hacking AFAIK isn't illegal. And as far as halacha is concerned, it's definitely not gezel, however if you are hogging bandwidth to the point that you are noticeably degrading the speed of other users then you may fall under the category of mazik.

I know someone who got a heter from a competant rav to hack a wifi and use it (internet issue aside). YLORMV