Author Topic: Bar Mitzvah Gift Ideas  (Read 27298 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Bar Mitzvah Gift Ideas
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2011, 02:14:44 AM »
You must have missed the part where he said he was going to give it in conjunction with a pirkei avos.

Anyway, the topic then under discussion was BB GC vs. Amazon GC. I simply stated my vote for Amazon.

Sounds like you want to give a gift where YOU will be remembered.

What do you think the bar mitzvah boy would prefer?
He wrote that he's getting him a nice sefer , and a GC. Gotta feed the kids nefesh habahami for instant gratification while the Pirkei Avos will (hopefully) turn into something treasured and meaningful.
I didn't miss anything and we'll have to agree to disagree.  I think for a sefer to be truly treasured it should be leather and be inscribed.
I don't think a $25 Amazon GC will be remembered at all.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2011, 02:16:44 AM »
So he can just inscribe the pirkei avos along with giving him something the boy would probably prefer.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2011, 02:19:13 AM »
So he can just inscribe the pirkei avos along with giving him something the boy would probably prefer.
Right, because that will make it leather as well.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2011, 02:20:43 AM »

Sounds like you want to give a gift where YOU will be remembered.

What do you think the bar mitzvah boy would prefer?
I certainly do want to be remembered as the gift giver. But feel free to give your gifts anonymously if you wish.
As far as the BM boy, I for one would like to remember the people that gave me gifts for my BM.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2011, 02:23:14 AM »
Right, because that will make it leather as well.

Ah, all good bar mitzvah gifts have leather or they're not good. 10-4.

As far as the BM boy, I for one would like to remember the people that gave me gifts for my BM.

'cept your (probably) not a typical 13 year-old boy who wants a Wii for Hanukah... are you?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2011, 02:24:59 AM »
I certainly do want to be remembered as the gift giver. But feel free to give your gifts anonymously if you wish.

While y'all are on the topic, I got some weird gifts for my BM, like a Yad for a Sefer Torah and (from someon else) an interesting BM-themed silver coin minted by the Israeli government (perhaps it was this one). I also got $20 and 20 shek. in one envelope.

What's the weirdest gifts you got?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2011, 02:26:10 AM »
Ah, all good bar mitzvah gifts have leather or they're not good. 10-4.

'cept your (probably) not a typical 13 year-old boy who wants a Wii for Hanukah... are you?

No, but a BM gift should be memorable, not a "hanukah" present.
A nice watch, a beautiful leather sefer, these are memorable gifts.  A small GC simply is not IMHO.  It's fine for an office gift or BM gift for your neighbor's kid, not for a relative though.
And please let me know where to find a $25 Wii...unless you think you want to be remembered as the anonymous donor of 16% of a Wii.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2011, 02:28:15 AM »
I don't know about you, but I'd bet nine out of ten 13 year old's would rather cash/Amazon GC than an engraved siddur.

...even if it's leather.

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2011, 02:30:30 AM »

Either way, a kid would remember a Wii that you gave him more then an Amazon GC or some other consumable as I said earlier.

[In my days kids were getting CD players for graduation gifts, but not for BM's AFAIK. Our class got together for every kids BM and bought him a set of Rambam.]

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2011, 02:30:38 AM »
No, but a BM gift should be memorable, not a "hanukah" present.
A nice watch, a beautiful leather sefer, these are memorable gifts.  A small GC simply is not IMHO.  It's fine for an office gift or BM gift for your neighbor's kid, not for a relative though.
And please let me know where to find a $25 Wii...unless you think you want to be remembered as the anonymous donor of 16% of a Wii.

I got a $25 GC to B&N for Chanukah gelt last year, I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it. See how memorable it is, I'll always remember they didn't give me ca$h :D

(I pray the giver doesn't see this...)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2011, 02:33:42 AM »
Either way, a kid would remember a Wii that you gave him more then an Amazon GC or some other consumable as I said earlier.

[In my days kids were getting CD players for graduation gifts, but not for BM's AFAIK. Our class got together for every kids BM and bought him a set of Rambam.]

I agree that a kid would remember you more if you bought him the Wii instead of $3-400 in cash.

But, again, what is your purpose in giving the gift? To be remembered?

Also, what would the beneficiary prefer? The cash? Perhaps he prefers the Wii. All I am saying is if you don't know you can't go wrong with cash. Especially leather cash :P

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2011, 02:35:40 AM »

Also, what would the beneficiary prefer? The cash?

Why do they have to be mutually exclusive. IMHO it depends on the kid, some might appreciate a leather siddur more than others.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2011, 02:36:36 AM »
I agree that a kid would remember you more if you bought him the Wii instead of $3-400 in cash.

Also, what would the beneficiary prefer? The cash? Perhaps he prefers the Wii. All I am saying is if you don't know you can't go wrong with cash. Especially leather cash :P
Like was already told to you.  You go ahead and give your nephews anon gifts.  The rest of us would like to be remembered as uncles that know how to give a nice gift.

As for the cash I got, it all got stuck in some account somewhere that my parents managed.  Definitely didn't remember anyone that gave me cash then.  Wedding cash, that was certainly appreciated.  BM cash, not so much in my case, but YMMV.   

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2011, 02:38:59 AM »
The rest of us would like to be remembered as uncles that know how to give a nice gift.

At least you're being honest. You want to be remembered. I understand and respect that. To each gift-giver his own.

As for the cash I got, it all got stuck in some account somewhere that my parents managed.  Definitely didn't remember anyone that gave me cash then.  Wedding cash, that was certainly appreciated.  BM cash, not so much in my case.

Understood. I just believe, in my opinion, that a typical 13 year old would prefer the cash or cash equivalent, that's all.

Offline YG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2011, 05:41:22 AM »
you can't go wrong with cash. Especially leather cash :P
Vicious.
and Brilliant!
 ;D

Offline twentie4hrs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2011, 10:41:41 AM »
Vicious.
and Brilliant!
 ;D

can you engrave leather cash?
A penny saved is 1 cent

Offline twentie4hrs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2011, 10:42:54 AM »
I got to sleep thinking I had this worked out, only to wake up to find out that I am back to the drawing board...
A penny saved is 1 cent

Offline YG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2011, 12:54:46 PM »
Ii believe that the store that the link for the Pirkei Avos goes to, may well be able to emboss a name onto that sefer in a silver that will match the title on the cover.  Give them a  call.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2011, 02:04:12 PM »
Just go with an engraved sefer + cash or its equivalent (i.e. amazon GC).

IMHO.

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2011, 03:03:30 PM »
While y'all are on the topic, I got some weird gifts for my BM, like a Yad for a Sefer Torah and (from someon else) an interesting BM-themed silver coin minted by the Israeli government (perhaps it was this one). I also got $20 and 20 shek. in one envelope.

What's the weirdest gifts you got?
I got 2 yads >:( and one isn't even nice. And I got 13 silver coins (1 oz each) from someone else, I actually remember off-hand who gave me each of those gifts. (The coin guy was surprised when I met him 10 years later and told him what gift he gave me!)