Topic Wiki

Saw a thread once about MS from the US Mint, Fishy selling his fish tank, or having United call YOU, but can't remember where it was? This is the place to ask!

For mobile searches, SuperFlyer has the following as a favorite: http://www.zodaq.com/ddf/ It looks solely in the forum.

Use advanced search here.

Google works great too! Type: "search site:forums.dansdeals.com" then your seach query after it, then click search.
« Last edited by Yo ssi on January 27, 2021, 01:33:32 AM »

Author Topic: Help Me Find It! - The Search Master Thread  (Read 1351993 times)

Offline Pad18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: Help Me Find It! - The Search Master Thread
« Reply #5660 on: January 23, 2019, 08:48:51 AM »
Where can I find info on how far out to book economy domestic award travel on delta and united? I need to book two flights, 1 on Feb 16, 1 Feb 17 & points amount needed keep fluctuating-how to figure out if could still wait or just take bec less than a month away? Do points amounts decrease as travel dates approach? Is there sort of a science to this? Tia, much appreciated.

No science involved here.
The same way that the price could drop , it could go up as well.
So the real answer is, as soon as you find a price that make sense to you, take it and don't look back.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #5661 on: January 23, 2019, 12:46:01 PM »
Where can I find info on how far out to book economy domestic award travel on delta and united? I need to book two flights, 1 on Feb 16, 1 Feb 17 & points amount needed keep fluctuating-how to figure out if could still wait or just take bec less than a month away? Do points amounts decrease as travel dates approach? Is there sort of a science to this? Tia, much appreciated.
When booking with award miles/points there's a usually a standard. For example with BA.com a flight from NYC-YUL or NYC-YYZ or vice versa all cost 7.5k and wouldn't change no matter how close you get, but what would happen, is there's a big chance the avalbty will be scarce for a flight the next morning or only J fare open to book.
 So you see what you like then take, the earlier you start looking the better options you have on the table.

Yes with United depending on how full the flight is you would see a ticket which is suppose to cost 12.5 from LAX-NYC, but when they sold most or almost every ticket you might find the price to go up to 20k or only have J fare open.

There's a site called AwardHacker.com which is amazing for one who wants to see the basics in the fare with miles and which routes and how many per day... take a peek at the site if you haven't done so before.   
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline SwellCindy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: January 23, 2019, 10:19:04 PM »
Thx so much for your replies Pad18 and myi!
I checked out awardhacker.com but not sure abt one thing - r they quoting a miles amount in best case scenario as in, any random date, or the lowest it could possibly go? How can they quote miles needed if they don’t ask for a specific date/flight?

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: January 23, 2019, 10:27:50 PM »
Thx so much for your replies Pad18 and myi!
I checked out awardhacker.com but not sure abt one thing - r they quoting a miles amount in best case scenario as in, any random date, or the lowest it could possibly go? How can they quote miles needed if they don’t ask for a specific date/flight?
They're quoting the lowest miles avlb for this airline with these points. In another way of saying prices starting as low as.
 They're all accurate amounts, it's just not available at that amount because either it was sold out or its during peak season.

Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline SwellCindy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5664 on: January 23, 2019, 10:38:30 PM »
K thx so much for clarifying, one more thing: If I’m using 24k united miles for this 1 way flight how do I know whether or not that is a good value? Is there a formula to use to calculate? The flight costs $251.
Sorry if this is not the right place to ask, I x mind if u direct me elsewhere.
Thank you again.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: January 24, 2019, 01:03:33 AM »
K thx so much for clarifying, one more thing: If I’m using 24k united miles for this 1 way flight how do I know whether or not that is a good value? Is there a formula to use to calculate? The flight costs $251.
Sorry if this is not the right place to ask, I x mind if u direct me elsewhere.
Thank you again.
Just to be clear, where's the destination and departure airport?

Now in regards to 24k to place X(would help to know where your going so I can see If what your quoting makes sense.)
And $251 available to book on priceline or studentuniverse.com or momondo.com.

Take the 251 and ÷ into 24k= 0.0104583333333
Your valuing each mile at around 1 ¢ give or take. Which is not a great value.
 Number one is where you getting the united miles from? Transferring from UR points to united? Or from a united cc spend?
 Chase are worth a lot more than united points. So before transferring make sure there's nothing avlb with a cash booking before using miles.
 With miles and UR you can always sell in the gray market for a better value than 1¢ a UR.

Also with United you get rates not published to everyone by having a united cc.

Offline SwellCindy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: January 24, 2019, 01:55:32 AM »
Need to get to Las Vegas for the KBIS show the wk of Feb 16, leaving from EWR on Feb 16 w/ United (the 8:55 PM non-stop flight), and on Feb 17 from JFK w/ Delta 7:00 PM flight. I need to stick w/ these 2 flights.
Getting 18,000 miles from UR, rest from United.
For the Delta flight I have sky miles; they want 25,500.
Prob is that I booked the return flights abt 4 wks ago for only 10k skymiles & thought these flights would go down as date gets closer. New to this points game as u can tell. They’ve been mostly going up & now I’m getting nervous abt availability.
I took a screenshot of United asking 18k approx 1 wk ago (but didn’t book it like a fool), & now they’re staying at 24k mostly. Didn’t bother asking if they would honor it bec why in the world would they...
I really appreciate your help.

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #5667 on: January 24, 2019, 02:05:49 AM »
Need to get to Las Vegas for the KBIS show the wk of Feb 16, leaving from EWR on Feb 16 w/ United (the 8:55 PM non-stop flight), and on Feb 17 from JFK w/ Delta 7:00 PM flight. I need to stick w/ these 2 flights.
Prob is that I booked the return flights abt 4 wks ago for only 10k skymiles & thought these flights would go down as date gets closer. New to this points game as u can tell. They’ve been mostly going up & now I’m getting nervous abt availability.
I took a screenshot of United asking 18k approx 1 wk ago (but didn’t book it like a fool), & now they’re staying at 24k mostly. Didn’t bother asking if they would honor it bec why in the world would they...
When you saw Delta at 10000 that was a bargain for Skymiles ,should have booked immediately. No one will be able to guess if you'll be better off booking right now or to monitor changes for the next few days, it is a flip of a coin, you might luck out or the flights you want might sell out.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #5668 on: January 24, 2019, 02:35:13 AM »
When you saw Delta at 10000 that was a bargain for Skymiles ,should have booked immediately. No one will be able to guess if you'll be better off booking right now or to monitor changes for the next few days, it is a flip of a coin, you might luck out or the flights you want might sell out.
Well said.

I took not long ago from EWR to LAX which would be the same to LAS for 12.5K non stop one way on united. Now I didn't book it on united as they charge $75 close in fee which I didn't have patience calling and fighting to have it waived.
 So went onto AC partners site aeroplan and booked the same united flight for 12.5k without any close in fees and 5.60$ in taxes.
 I booked that flight 2 hours before I took it, and the return I booked once I landed in LA(later that night or rather was close to the morning.)

I'm not sure if UR transfers to Aeroplan while I know MR do transfer.

So in summary the flights your looking for shouldn't be more than 12.5k each way on united non stop.
 When I get near a computer I would love to check if I see 12.5k avlblty as I have the chase united card. (as dan always mentions, there's great perks in having the united card, and especially now with the great sign up bonus.) 

Someone with the card can book it for you, all you need to do is transfer the UR to their account and then from the UR account have them transfer to their united account.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 02:38:16 AM by myi »

Offline SwellCindy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: January 24, 2019, 01:56:14 PM »
Thx for the aeroplan idea! I checked & they have x availability for that date. I will ask s/o w/ a united card to check for me if avail for less points, I’m wondering though, does united always charge a $75 booking fee regardless if one has their cc or not? If they do, what’s the point of booking w/ them?

Also, I did take the return flights at 10k, that big a fool I was not. I was explaining that bec I got a bargain/good deal there I feel like I’m “overspending” on the outbound flight if I book it for 24-25k.

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #5670 on: January 24, 2019, 01:59:11 PM »
Thx for the aeroplan idea! I checked & they have x availability for that date. I will ask s/o w/ a united card to check for me if avail for less points, I’m wondering though, does united always charge a $75 booking fee regardless if one has their cc or not? If they do, what’s the point of booking w/ them?

Also, I did take the return flights at 10k, that big a fool I was not. I was explaining that bec I got a bargain/good deal there I feel like I’m “overspending” on the outbound flight if I book it for 24-25k.
If AC has X available, why don't you just book there?
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline SwellCindy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5671 on: January 24, 2019, 02:11:44 PM »
Who’s AC, isn’t that aeroplan? I’m confused. Can I transfer UR points to AC?
Too bad I’m way over 5/24 & can’t get United cc...

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #5672 on: January 24, 2019, 02:37:20 PM »
Who’s AC, isn’t that aeroplan? I’m confused. Can I transfer UR points to AC?
Too bad I’m way over 5/24 & can’t get United cc...
AC is Aeroplan, and if they have X Avail that means UA will have it available at the lowest level.
And no UR doesn't transfer to AC.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline SwellCindy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: January 24, 2019, 06:15:39 PM »
Is the way to find this flight on partner airlines by calling them? Because Star Alliance takes me straight to united.com, AC x have avail. Do I call SingaporeAir now?

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #5674 on: January 25, 2019, 01:11:47 AM »
Is the way to find this flight on partner airlines by calling them? Because Star Alliance takes me straight to united.com, AC x have avail. Do I call SingaporeAir now?
Do you have membership rewards? If yes transfer to AC.

You can try to call whomever but not necessarily going to get anywhere. 

Offline SwellCindy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5675 on: January 25, 2019, 02:54:31 AM »
I’m x following- why would I transfer MR to AC if they x have availability?

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: January 25, 2019, 01:12:34 PM »
I’m x following- why would I transfer MR to AC if they x have availability?
Got confused I thought you meant X availability, as in date X, while you meant X as there's NO availability.   
 Avoid the text lingo so others can understand you, and myself.

Offline yitrap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5677 on: February 07, 2019, 05:53:14 PM »
This has definitely been discussed before, need a good big carry on suitcase that won't tip when packed full and laptop bag on top. Looking for suggestions.

Offline a good yeshiva bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: February 16, 2019, 02:32:52 PM »
are there any threads to sell the amex bonvoy cc nights?

Online Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile