Author Topic: Delta Gold  (Read 8501 times)

Offline miles

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Air Canada, UA PLT, ANA, Delta Platinum, AA, BA, Aerosvit, A/A by Chase closed all accounts
Delta Gold
« on: December 07, 2011, 09:45:57 PM »
is it worth to pay $895to get Gold Status with DL

Offline twentie4hrs

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Delta Gold
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 10:10:31 PM »
NIMO
A penny saved is 1 cent

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 10:15:42 PM »
Depends how often you fly, what airlines you fly and what routes you fly.

If you fly SkyTeam, it will get you into partner lounges.

If you fly a lot on SkyTeam, that lounge access can pay for itself (if you value that).

You can get free baggage and occasional free domestic upgrades.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline mordys

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 03:05:50 PM »
I think the most valuable benefit is free upgrades on award tickets.  Depending on your routes and how often upgrades clear this can be great.  For example, Delta's last minute saver award availability opens up conisderably, so check if upgrade is available and book an award saver and get a free upgrade to business, instantly.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 03:51:55 PM »
I think the most valuable benefit is free upgrades on award tickets.  Depending on your routes and how often upgrades clear this can be great.  For example, Delta's last minute saver award availability opens up conisderably, so check if upgrade is available and book an award saver and get a free upgrade to business, instantly.

How do you do that without first buying the ticket?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline YOSEF

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 04:07:24 PM »
It tells you when you book: upgrade eligible/available/unavailable, so if you're Gold and book within 3 days, you'll know.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 04:16:05 PM »
It tells you when you book: upgrade eligible/available/unavailable, so if you're Gold and book within 3 days, you'll know.

Not entirely sure what you mean.

During the booking process, but before you click submit, you can see whether it's upgrade eligible?

Even if it is, there is no guarantee you'll get the UG. Plats and Diamonds using SDC can often bump you to the back of the line, no?

Offline YOSEF

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 05:17:08 PM »
On DL, gold clears 3 days out, so when you book within three days you can tell.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 05:38:55 PM »
On DL, gold clears 3 days out, so when you book within three days you can tell.

I understand GM clears three days out, but what if a PM or DM SDC's onto your flight?

Normally they'd have priority... are you saying because it clears, you're good to go?

Offline YOSEF

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 05:42:06 PM »
Once you clear, you SHOULDN'T be knocked off, but Shena (shenanigans) has struck before.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 05:47:55 PM »
Once you clear, you SHOULDN'T be knocked off, but Shena (shenanigans) has struck before.

Got it.

Where does it show if an upgrade is available/unavailable? Just tried going through the booking process and didn't see it on two routes...

Offline twentie4hrs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 08:27:56 PM »
Got it.

Where does it show if an upgrade is available/unavailable? Just tried going through the booking process and didn't see it on two routes...

if it doesn't show, you might have to call.
I went through on my recent flight, where it didn't show online, but when I called they had availability
A penny saved is 1 cent

Offline miles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Air Canada, UA PLT, ANA, Delta Platinum, AA, BA, Aerosvit, A/A by Chase closed all accounts
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 01:39:02 PM »
will i get better availability for biz award seats to TLV

Offline David B

• View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 02:21:46 PM »
Got it.

AJK - If you are DL Gold, try going through the booking process for a flight that is two or three days out, with lots of seats left in First.  In the reservation window, the place where it usually says "Upgrade Eligible" should say "Upgrade Available", which means that at that moment it is available to you as a Gold.  IME, it will not clear until midnight that night that you book, assuming it showed "Available" at the time you booked.  I suppose it's possible that a PLAT or Diamond books a ticket that same day and bumps you, but hasn't happened to me.     

Offline David B

• View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 02:25:51 PM »
is it worth to pay $895to get Gold Status with DL

If you fly enough on DL on routes that are easy for a Gold to get an upgrade, then IMO definitely worth it.

LGA-FLL for example -- I've taken six or so round trips in the last year, and been upgraded 100% of the time as a Gold. 

JFK-LAX -- only gotten upgraded once in one direction between a few R/Ts

If I was going to lose Gold, I would definitely pay the $895 -- but that's based on the routes I have flown, and the value of the upgrades I've gotten (not to mention the value of free checked bags, extra weight allowance, etc.)  If you fly to TLV on DL, you'll get three bags of 70 pounds as a gold (per passenger on your itinerary), plus access to the lounge.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 03:01:12 PM »
JFK-LAX -- only gotten upgraded once in one direction between a few R/Ts

That's a very rough upgrade route, even for PMs and DMs.

Offline Hudi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 05:58:47 PM »
In general a good tip on getting upgraded with Delta even as a silver is to always look for ways to modify your itinerary which upgrades your fare class. For e.g. if there is even a slight schedule change for one leg of your trip you are allowed to make changes. Any change you make will upgrade your fare class for the entire trip giving you priority for an upgrade. Happened to me many times, made a change, was issued a Y fare and was upgraded instantly.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 06:06:56 PM »
In general a good tip on getting upgraded with Delta even as a silver is to always look for ways to modify your itinerary which upgrades your fare class. For e.g. if there is even a slight schedule change for one leg of your trip you are allowed to make changes. Any change you make will upgrade your fare class for the entire trip giving you priority for an upgrade. Happened to me many times, made a change, was issued a Y fare and was upgraded instantly.

I've heard of these schedule changes, but I didn't know it upgrades your fare class.

How does one know if you flight has had a schedule change?

Offline Hudi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 10:28:29 PM »
I've heard of these schedule changes, but I didn't know it upgrades your fare class.

How does one know if you flight has had a schedule change?

They will usually send you an email that says "Your Delta Itinerary has Changed" you can also login to Delta.com and it will have a notice on your itinerary. Even if the change is 5 minutes you can change the itinerary online. If it's a 90 minute schedule change you can even change the date of your flight.

FYI: Schedule changes are more common on Delta connection flights then regular Delta flights.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 10:48:53 PM »

They will usually send you an email that says "Your Delta Itinerary has Changed" you can also login to Delta.com and it will have a notice on your itinerary. Even if the change is 5 minutes you can change the itinerary online. If it's a 90 minute schedule change you can even change the date of your flight.

FYI: Schedule changes are more common on Delta connection flights then regular Delta flights.

Just logged in and saw the attached.

Turns out I can change the itin., but it doesn't seem my booking code changed.