Author Topic: Delta Gold  (Read 8519 times)

Offline Hudi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Delta Gold
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
Try calling and making the change, better chance for a fare class upgrade.

I just updated mine yesterday and the fare class was changed. I wasn't upgraded though cuz FC is full :(

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 11:41:05 PM »
Try calling and making the change, better chance for a fare class upgrade.

I just updated mine yesterday and the fare class was changed. I wasn't upgraded though cuz FC is full :(

Oh, I misunderstood.

You actually have to change before you see a fare class upgrade? I thought you to mean that it upgraded by itself. Gotcha.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Hudi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 11:50:23 PM »
Yes, I only noticed the fare class change after the ticket was reissued. AFAIK when delta reps change a ticket they are not careful to put you in the same fare class as your original ticket. Especially because they consider it their fault that there was a schedule change.

I'm sure its YMMV here too but for me it seems to always work.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 11:54:11 PM »
Yes, I only noticed the fare class change after the ticket was reissued. AFAIK when delta reps change a ticket they are not careful to put you in the same fare class as your original ticket. Especially because they consider it their fault that there was a schedule change.

I'm sure its YMMV here too but for me it seems to always work.

Have you ever changed online? If so, did you not get the class upgrade?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 11:54:13 AM »
Have you ever changed online?
Change online and the computer will rebook you in the same class.
Change with a human and they will just reissue in full Y, earning bonus miles and upgrades.  Also extremely common at the airport and a great way to earn miles on a mileage ticket in case of irr-ops.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Hudi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 11:58:36 AM »
Change with a human and they will just reissue in full Y, earning bonus miles and upgrades.  Also extremely common at the airport and a great way to earn miles on a mileage ticket in case of irr-ops.

I guess it's YMMV because I once did make the change online for non refundable ticket and was issued a full Y fare.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 12:57:40 PM »
Change with a human and they will just reissue in full Y, earning bonus miles and upgrades. 

Great. Any idea if I can switch to another flight causing (hopefully) the class upgrade, and then switch back to my original flight (which I actually want to keep)? Can I avoid a change fee or is this only limited to one change?

Also extremely common at the airport and a great way to earn miles on a mileage ticket in case of irr-ops.

Can you explain a bit more?

Offline twentie4hrs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 08:44:27 AM »
when you say human..you mean in person or on the phone or both?
A penny saved is 1 cent

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 10:18:27 AM »
With human as opposed to online. So both phone and in person would seem to work.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 12:22:07 PM »
If you're booked into say a T fare online and the new flight has a T fare, then a computer is likely to put you into T.  If T isn't available you're put into Y.
But a human may not care (at the airport they never care, even if you're on a mileage ticket) and will just stick you into Y.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 04:38:06 PM »
Just called DL to get my ticket changed and she said "because it was only an 8-minute change, you're not eligible to change for free."

HUCA?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 04:44:31 PM »
Just called DL to get my ticket changed and she said "because it was only an 8-minute change, you're not eligible to change for free."

HUCA?
Of course. Cant hurt to share you're a lawyer ;)
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 04:45:38 PM »
Of course. Cant hurt to share you're a lawyer ;)

Will do.

(And, for the record, that whole "I'm a lawyer" tactic can and does often backfire.)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 04:48:59 PM »
Will do.

(And, for the record, that whole "I'm a lawyer" tactic can and does often backfire.)
Care to share?
Best is to come with a story like the train you were planning on taking will just miss the check-in deadline & theres a train only 2 hours earlier.
DL employees in general are very flexible if you're nice to them
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline YOSEF

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2011, 04:49:15 PM »
AFAIK, it officially has to be an hour or put a connection in jeopardy.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2011, 04:55:22 PM »
Care to share?
Best is to come with a story like the train you were planning on taking will just miss the check-in deadline & theres a train only 2 hours earlier.
DL employees in general are very flexible if you're nice to them

Being courteous definitely helps, and in some cases, works wonders. But that whole "watch out who you're dealing with cuz I'm a big bad lawyer" often turns people (even more) off.

It's often a bad thing to brandish, especially when it has no purpose other than to intimidate. 

AFAIK, it officially has to be an hour or put a connection in jeopardy.

Yeah, the CSR I spoke to says it has to be a change of 90+ minutes to change for free.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2011, 05:50:02 PM »
Yeah, the CSR I spoke to says it has to be a change of 90+ minutes to change for free.

Shot down again. Same reason.

Offline David B

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2011, 06:58:20 PM »
It also depends on the story you have to tell.  I had a Motzei Shabbat flight home from MIA to LGA on AA booked way in advance (I know this is a Delta discussion, but I would suspect parallels can be drawn), and they made the flight 50 minutes earlier.  I explained that I had just enough time to return a car to the airport and get to the prior flight, but that it was impossible for me to make the new flight time travelling with my family, bags to check, etc., with the time that the Sabbath ends.  Got them to book me on a Sunday flight instead -- which, by the way, was much more expensive had I booked it that way to begin with (Dece 31 versus Sun Jan 1).  Took a bit of a lengthy conversation, but it worked well.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2011, 07:02:28 PM »
That is a completely different situation than mine :P

My "schedule change" is, apparently, arriving 8 mins earlier than originally planned.

Not much to work with there...

Offline David B

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2011, 07:20:53 PM »
That is a completely different situation than mine :P

My "schedule change" is, apparently, arriving 8 mins earlier than originally planned.

Not much to work with there...

Didn't you once tell me about some deep psychological trauma associated with that new arrival time??  : )  Wasn't it the date of some traumatic event in your life?