Author Topic: Smart thermostats  (Read 5202 times)

Offline yyonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Smart thermostats
« on: November 26, 2020, 05:46:55 PM »
My gas utility, National Grid, has some Black Friday deals on smart thermostats, with various models of Google Nest, Emerson Sensi, and ecobee being offered. My electric utility, PSEG-LI, pays you to let them control your central AC settings at peak demand times ($85 the first year and $25 in succeeding years).

My house has 15-year-old builder's specials thermostats, so I'm thinking of replacing them. One concern I have is that I saw a video review of a Google Nest that said its display is proximity activated. I'm concerned that this would be a Shabbos problem. Also, I've seen complaints in Amazon reviews about smart thermostats being inaccurate, showing temperatures that are several degrees off, and that customer support is really bad. So I'm looking for comments from people who are users of smart thermostats.

Offline Sowhat

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Smart thermostats
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 05:54:18 PM »
National Gridd, too.  I would be interested in useful features to look for--wifi access not as much--and what the practical differences are between them.  Thanks.

Offline yyonah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 05:59:54 PM »
I should have googled smart thermostats Shabbos first. I found this, a little bit dated but helpful.
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/smart-thermostat-get-cyber-monday-experiences-trying-find-perfect-one/

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 06:01:28 PM »
Ecobee is shabbos friendly, @TribeTechReview can help, there's a thread somewhere.
In my opinion, they're better than nest anyway

Offline Sowhat

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 06:08:43 PM »
After reading Dan's post and understanding only part of, I am asking myself why I need any of those.  Remote adjustments is nice.  The rest, not sure?

Offline yyonah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 09:51:15 PM »
I read Dov's posts on tribetechreview.com, and it seems that the Ecobee3-Lite is the only one offered by National Grid that's relatively easy to be made Shabbos compatible. Unlike Dan, I don't need my thermostat to tell me what time it is and what the outdoor temperature is (I have a watch for the former and an indoor/outdoor thermometer for the latter). But it seems that the Honeywell Home RTH9585WF1004 (successor to the RTH9580WF mentioned in Dov's post) is the most Shabbos compatible simply because it's not as "smart" as the others -- it doesn't have the sensors that cause the Shabbos problems. Unfortunately, it's not offered by National Grid, but it seems that it's eligible for a $75 rebate for from National Grid. Also it does qualify for the PSEG-LI Smart Savers program. It's $99 at Amazon, Best Buy, and Lowe's. One thing to be aware of is that most smart thermostats require a C-wire. Check your existing thermostat to see if there's a C-wire. If not, there might be a simple fix which is beyond the scope of my post.

Offline Joel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 10:24:01 AM »
From @Dan review I understand he used the older version of the rooms sensor
 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ecobee-remote-sensors-2-pack-white/1210019.p?skuId=1210019

While the new one I am not sure it will be shabbos friendly?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ecobee-smartsensor-2-pack-white/6339178.p?skuId=6339178

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 10:30:47 AM »
I personally got an Ecobee to replace one thermostat, and a Honeywell for the other. Ecobee needed Dan's black tape solution for Shabbos. Honewell no issue. The biggest reasons for me switching from my decades-old thermostats were the ability to set an auto mode which will automatically switch from heating to cooling and vice versa, as well as the ability to control remotely from my phone. I actually find the Honeywell to be more flexibile and intuitive than the Ecobee.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Joel

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 04:41:43 PM »

Offline nucheiner

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 09:19:00 PM »
I read Dov's posts on tribetechreview.com, and it seems that the Ecobee3-Lite is the only one offered by National Grid that's relatively easy to be made Shabbos compatible. Unlike Dan, I don't need my thermostat to tell me what time it is and what the outdoor temperature is (I have a watch for the former and an indoor/outdoor thermometer for the latter). But it seems that the Honeywell Home RTH9585WF1004 (successor to the RTH9580WF mentioned in Dov's post) is the most Shabbos compatible simply because it's not as "smart" as the others -- it doesn't have the sensors that cause the Shabbos problems. Unfortunately, it's not offered by National Grid, but it seems that it's eligible for a $75 rebate for from National Grid. Also it does qualify for the PSEG-LI Smart Savers program. It's $99 at Amazon, Best Buy, and Lowe's. One thing to be aware of is that most smart thermostats require a C-wire. Check your existing thermostat to see if there's a C-wire. If not, there might be a simple fix which is beyond the scope of my post.
C-wire workaround is relatively easy with ecobee. They provide a piece which you install in your furnace. Excellent customer service when you install it incorrectly (and keep blowing the fuse) to guide you.

Offline steroplasma

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 11:38:06 PM »
I spoke with my oil company and he said a smart thermostat wouldn't be compatibe with my old boiler from the 80's they are just not made to go through so many on and off cycles per hour as the newer boiler s anyone here of this ?

Offline yyonah

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 10:41:59 PM »
I ended up getting two Honeywell RTH6580WF's from Amazon using one-point deals from Amex and Citi. My total cost including tax was $183 in Amazon gift cards (which were purchased at a 10% discount). I'm getting $150 in rebates from National Grid and I signed up for a program with PSEGLI that will get me $85 (x2 maybe) the first year and $25 in succeeding years.

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 11:20:13 PM »
Bump?
why would it be different? i have a combination of both. tribetechreview's eitza removes the need for black tape, and black tape removes some of the utility of the sensor, (the motion destection specifically).

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 11:26:48 PM »
why would it be different? i have a combination of both. tribetechreview's eitza removes the need for black tape, and black tape removes some of the utility of the sensor, (the motion destection specifically).

I prefer black tape so I can see the time + the outside weather
["-"]

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2020, 11:30:11 PM »
I prefer black tape so I can see the time + the outside weather

+1. I thought I wouldn't care, but found the black tape display more practical.

That being said, I definitely prefer the Honeywell over the ecobee (except for the fact that time is displayed in a tiny font). Temporary overrides are by far more flexible on the Honeywell.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2021, 09:14:18 AM »
I have an ecobee3 sitting in my house for about a year, and I just found it and was thinking of installing it. I just wanted to know what it can do more than a simple old-school thermostat.

Obviously, the ability to control from a phone - but I hardly ever find the need to make any adjustments, so this is not a big factor for me.

I see mentioned above a few other points, like the fact that it can automatically switch from hot to cold, and that it displays the outside weather. I don't think these are big enough reasons for me to go through the trouble of installing it.

Can anyone offer recommendations?

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2021, 09:27:36 AM »
Keep what you have.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2021, 10:10:46 AM »
I have an ecobee3 sitting in my house for about a year, and I just found it and was thinking of installing it. I just wanted to know what it can do more than a simple old-school thermostat.

Obviously, the ability to control from a phone - but I hardly ever find the need to make any adjustments, so this is not a big factor for me.

I see mentioned above a few other points, like the fact that it can automatically switch from hot to cold, and that it displays the outside weather. I don't think these are big enough reasons for me to go through the trouble of installing it.

It's only a thermostat if the additional functions aren't worth the time to install it.
Then
Keep what you have.

Online Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2021, 12:45:49 PM »

I like/use it for its remote sensors

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2021, 12:47:50 PM »

You can say you're not the only smart one at home
["-"]