Author Topic: When will the current wave peak in the US?  (Read 12568 times)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: When will the current wave peak in the US?
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2021, 11:38:00 PM »
That’s silly. Peaking and subsiding is relative. Cases peaked at 300k and are now at around 150k. There was one point to my original post; that the wave would peak and subside without substantial behavior changes.
The opposing view was:I think it’s pretty clear which way things have gone. Peaking DESPITE behavior.

(In Israel there was a sharp peak and drop off in the chareidi areas. Recently the UK variant led to another sharp peak in those areas. Lakewood could be in for the same.)
You said that about Lakewood, but were wrong- it *was* behavior that made the difference. I agree there is a natural element to it, but behavior matters more than other factors.

To say you were right in the OP is absolutely ludicrous.
There is certainly some type of “natural peak” to virus waves eventually, when the virus ceases to infect new people. That can happen naturally or be aided artificially (through vaccines, social distancing, quarantining, etc.).

I don’t think anyone disagrees with that.
But this was your actual prediction:
Where do you see the US heading in the short term? My guess is that we will see the US peak and then subside in the next 2-3 weeks long before vaccines have an impact.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2021, 11:43:40 PM »
You said that about Lakewood, but were wrong- it *was* behavior that made the difference. I agree there is a natural element to it, but behavior matters more than other factors.

To say you were right in the OP is absolutely ludicrous.But this was your actual prediction:
Hospitalizations declined by the start of sukkos. What changes in behavior were there before Yom Kippur that would account for this? Do we live in the same town?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2021, 11:44:37 PM »
The answer to the question in the topic is so obvious. It is no coincidence that this wave really picked up right when the vaccines got approved. Just then when everyone started feeling that the vaccines will save us Hashem says that He is the only one who saves us. The sooner we realize that the sooner this will end.
So why did the Spanish Flu second wave look so similar? Furthermore, how was it predicted with such great accuracy in advance if it is only Hashem’s way of sending us a message for behavior that occurred afterwards?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2021, 11:45:03 PM »
Hospitalizations declined by the start of sukkos. What changes in behavior were there before Yom Kippur that would account for this? Do we live in the same town?
Are you kidding? There were no weddings from one week before Rosh Hashana and on, so about 3 weeks before Sukkos.. or exactly the timeline we would expect.

Offline yzj

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2021, 11:48:57 PM »
Are you kidding? There were no weddings from one week before Rosh Hashana and on, so about 3 weeks before Sukkos.. or exactly the timeline we would expect.
Yet there were thousands of guys crammed into BMG, schools jammmed with kids, most stores unmasked, packed crowds yomim noraim etc. Was it all the weddings and nothing else mattered?

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2021, 11:50:21 PM »
So why did the Spanish Flu second wave look so similar? Furthermore, how was it predicted with such great accuracy in advance if it is only Hashem’s way of sending us a message for behavior that occurred afterwards?
Both can be true.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2021, 12:07:36 AM »
Both can be true.
Explain?
Yet there were thousands of guys crammed into BMG, schools jammmed with kids, most stores unmasked, packed crowds yomim noraim etc. Was it all the weddings and nothing else mattered?
Actually, at the time, most stores had begun enforcing masks and many outdoor minyanim had opened up. Still, I’ll repeat what has been common knowledge among doctors and Rabbanim in the community for quite some time- yes, weddings (and other Simchos) have been directly responsible for most of the spread in Lakewood over the last 3-6 months.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2021, 12:27:30 AM »

Explain?

Hashem uses things in teva, even predictable ones, as signs for things. For example we say in kiddush levana that the moon is a sign for klal yisrael. (There is obviously much room to elaborate on these concepts)

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2021, 12:28:36 AM »
Explain?Actually, at the time, most stores had begun enforcing masks and many outdoor minyanim had opened up. Still, I’ll repeat what has been common knowledge among doctors and Rabbanim in the community for quite some time- yes, weddings (and other Simchos) have been directly responsible for most of the spread in Lakewood over the last 3-6 months.
Agreed. Are there any theories as to why weddings would be more of a culprit than a full bai's medrash?

Online Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
When will the current wave peak in the US?
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2021, 12:29:54 AM »
Agreed. Are there any theories as to why weddings would be more of a culprit than a full bai's medrash?
Aerosolizing: loud music causes people to speak louder, in addition to the singing people do while dancing etc. And people circulate throughout the hall and interact with many from outside their immediate network.

(Yeah yeah - the decibel level of pilpul hatorah in Maariv is comparable to the first dance..)

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2021, 12:31:33 AM »
Aerosolizing: loud music causes people to speak louder, in addition to the singing people do while dancing etc.
I expect you've been inside a beis medrash. Not as much singing, but plenty of yelling...

Online Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
When will the current wave peak in the US?
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2021, 12:32:28 AM »
I expect you've been inside a beis medrash. Not as much singing, but plenty of yelling...
Yeah...see my edit. Thought I was quick enough ;)

That's the prevailing theory though.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2021, 12:34:34 AM »
Yeah...see my edit. Thought I was quick enough ;)

That's the prevailing theory though.
So basically because it brings together people from different circles. Then a shul kiddush (while I wouldn't make one, and have been avoiding them), probably wouldn't be nearly as bad, as there is much less exposure to different circles

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2021, 12:45:13 AM »
So basically because it brings together people from different circles. Then a shul kiddush (while I wouldn't make one, and have been avoiding them), probably wouldn't be nearly as bad, as there is much less exposure to different circles
Correct, there are a confluence of factors that make a wedding a potential superspreader event but one key factor is the many different groups of people who would never otherwise interact with each other. There are at least 6 completely disparate groups at every wedding congregating at an intense level, including intergenerational and intercity mixing.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2021, 08:10:51 AM »
This is as revisionist as what you are complaining about from others. PUOSU and show us where you predicted this pattern with any accuracy at all.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2021, 08:58:58 AM »
Where do you see the US heading in the short term? My guess is that we will see the US peak and then subside in the next 2-3 weeks long before vaccines have an impact.
Looks like around two weeks or so behind schedule. Otherwise on target. Peaking and then declining despite no noticeable increase in adherence to CDC guidelines.
Just to be clear, you consider 150K cases a day subsiding?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2021, 09:19:12 AM »
This is as revisionist as what you are complaining about from others. PUOSU and show us where you predicted this pattern with any accuracy at all.
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/news-roundup/covid-19-news-roundup-5-25-20-super-spreaders-second-wave-immunity-passports-el-al-turkey-worldwide-restrictions-roundup-amare-stoudemire/#Thoughts_On_SuperSpreaders,_And_A_Second_Wave

But people at the time said I was nuts to compare COVID waves to influenza waves and that COVID was over.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2021, 09:24:48 AM »
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/news-roundup/covid-19-news-roundup-5-25-20-super-spreaders-second-wave-immunity-passports-el-al-turkey-worldwide-restrictions-roundup-amare-stoudemire/#Thoughts_On_SuperSpreaders,_And_A_Second_Wave

But people at the time said I was nuts to compare COVID waves to influenza waves and that COVID was over.
Oh that there would more waves? Many said that. That is nothing close to saying how it played out.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2021, 09:25:44 AM »
That is nothing close to saying how it played out.
Meaning?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yzj

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2021, 09:38:17 AM »
Just to be clear, you consider 150K cases a day subsiding?
300,000 to 150,000 without behavior changes is exactly the pattern I was pointing out. That’s peaking and subsiding. Did I think it would go down to zero? No. Did I think it would go down further than it went? yes.