Author Topic: When will the current wave peak in the US?  (Read 12576 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: When will the current wave peak in the US?
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2021, 03:15:26 PM »
Not to nitpick, but that isn’t a fair analogy. You can predict with 100% accuracy where exactly the sun will be at any point in the future, and when the sun will rise in any location on any date. Can’t say the same for COVID. Also, nothing anyone does affects the sun’s trajectory in the slightest, can’t say the same for COVID.
You can’t predict anything in the future with absolute certainty, that’s exactly the point I’m trying to prove. We consider certain degrees of probability to be ‘certainty’.

My argument is the broad trajectory of the virus falls closer to that definition of certainty, even though it’s obviously far less certain.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2021, 03:16:29 PM »
Hence my quote of Abarbanel
OK but to that extent you can also see Yad Hashem in the sun rising and setting.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2021, 03:24:15 PM »
Not to nitpick, but that isn’t a fair analogy. You can predict with 100% accuracy where exactly the sun will be at any point in the future, and when the sun will rise in any location on any date. Can’t say the same for COVID. Also, nothing anyone does affects the sun’s trajectory in the slightest, can’t say the same for COVID.
OK but to that extent you can also see Yad Hashem in the sun rising and setting.
This just leads right into something I said over on Shabbos.

The גמ' סנהדרין says that וא"ר אחא בר חנינא א"ר אסי א"ר יוחנן אכל המברך על החדש בזמנו כאילו מקבל פני שכינה כתיב הכא (שמות יב, ב) החדש הזה וכתיב התם (שמות טו, ב) זה אלי ואנוהו and the connection between ראש חודש and יציאת מצרים is clear from the pasuk putting them together. Why are they so connected? I heark in the name of the Alter miKelm that the explaination is based on the Ramban at the end of last week's parsha that it is from the nisim of mitzrayim that we see the "smaller" nissim as well. There is very little that looks as natural as the waxing and waning of the moon. Wwe can calculate the new moon a thousand years from now with great accuracy. This is so much more predictable than almost any other aspect of nature. When we say ברוך אתה ה' מחדש חדשים we are saying how we see that even this seemingly natural phenomenon is just as much of a miracle as kriyas yam suf and it is as if we are mekabel the shechina just as they did then.

This gives SO MUCh more meaning to kiddush levana!
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2021, 03:26:31 PM »
You can’t predict anything in the future with absolute certainty, that’s exactly the point I’m trying to prove. We consider certain degrees of probability to be ‘certainty’.

My argument is the broad trajectory of the virus falls closer to that definition of certainty, even though it’s obviously far less certain.

Not really. It is not so hard to predict that there would be additional waves. What is a chiddush is how suddenly when there is a vaccine there are who knows how many more contagious strains suddenly making it spread so much more than people thought. Listen, take it or leave it.

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2021, 03:36:59 PM »
3M nursing homes residents account for 30%+ of deaths. A large part of the problem was already solved.
Vaccination is also lowering positive case count already bc many of the tests were surveys of high risk populations that were already vaccinated by now.
What percentage of deaths in the past few months were NH residents? The overwhelming majority of Nursing Homes already had major outbreaks, a large percentage of NH residents already had natural immunity. I don't think vaccinating NH residents solved all that much of the remaining issue. When everyone above the age of 65 is vaccinated, that will have a MAJOR effect. Unfortunately we have states like NJ who believe smokers and prisoners should be getting vaccinated before all the elderly are vaccinated.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2021, 05:58:42 PM »
What percentage of deaths in the past few months were NH residents?
+/- 30%
Between Jan 14 & Jan 21, 6000 NH residents died, HIGHER THAN ANY WEEK BEFORE
https://covidtracking.com/data/long-term-care

The overwhelming majority of Nursing Homes already had major outbreaks, a large percentage of NH residents already had natural immunity.
That’s a wishful fantasy that has no base in fact or educated opinion and is dead wrong about nursing homes, as it is about Lakewood, BP/Williamsburg, frum communities in Israel, and Manaus, Brazil.

The only change is behavior, vaccine, and miracles.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 06:45:30 PM by PlatinumGuy »

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2021, 06:40:41 PM »
The only change is behavior, vaccine, and miracles.

By now I'm placing my bet on miracles.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2021, 08:11:11 PM »
The Ran in Drashos Haran says there was no conclusive evidence of the existence of Hashem until Krias Hayam, which is why it says then ויאמינו בה׳ ובמשה עבדו.

Say what?

Quote?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2021, 08:20:52 PM »
Say what?

Quote?

Perhaps it would have been more accurate to say 'contradictory evidence' as opposed to 'no conclusive evidence' (although they may be the same), but here you go:

אבל יש כאן שאלה שלאחר קריעת ים סוף מצינו כתוב ויאמינו בה' ובמשה עבדו, וא"כ נראה שקודם זה לא היתה אמונתם שלימה עליהם:

ויש לומר בזה שתכף שעשה משה האותות האמינו בו אמונה גמורה כמו שאמר ויאמן העם, כי לא האמינו בו יותר בקריעת ים סוף ממה שהאמינו בו בכל האותות שעשה במצרים. שכלם היו יוצאים מטבעו של עולם ומנהגו, אבל הדבר הזה מבאר הרבה ספקות גדולות ונופלות בענין מצרים. והוא שמתחלה כשעשה האותות האמינו בו אמונה שלמה, אבל לאחר מכאן ראו בעיניהם דברים של תימה שצריכין להתבאר ראשונה, שאחר אשר פקד ה' את בני ישראל ורצה להצילם מיד מצרים ולהנחילם את הארץ, וצוה למשה שיאמר אל זקני ישראל כמו שאמר לך ואספת את זקני ישראל ואמרת אליהם פקוד פקדתי אתכם וגו' ואומר אעלה אתכם מעני מצרים אל ארץ זבת חלב ודבש וגו', מאי טעמא לגנוב דעתו של פרעה כלל שיאמרו לו אלהי עברים נקרא עלינו נלכה נא דרך שלשת ימים. והנה זה דרך העבדים שאין ידם תקיפה שרוצים לברוח ומתנכלים על אדוניהם לברוח, ולמה משה ואהרן שהיו שלוחי ה' לא יאמרו אל פרעה ביד רמה שהגיע קצם של ישראל ליגאל ושלא ישתעבד בהם עוד, היד ה' תקצר מהכניע לבו של פרעה להודות הדבר גם כי יאמרו אליו בפירוש, הלא אם לא יספיקו בזה עשר מכות יוסיף עוד עליהם כהנה. וזה באמת ענין שראוי שיספקו ממנו ישראל בשליחותו של משה, אע"פ שהאמינו בו במשה בתחלה על פי האותות כמו שאמר ויאמן העם, שהיה להם לספק אם הוא שליח ה' יתב' כמו שאמרנו למה ירא מהגיד לפרעה הדבר כמו שהוא.

וזה באמת ענין סתום צריך להתבאר, ואפילו אם נדחוק בזה ונאמר שעשה כן כדי להראות קושי ערפו של פרעה שגם דבר הקל ימאן לשמוע בדבר הש"י, עדין נשאר לנו מקום ספק גדול באמרו דבר נא באזני עם וישאלו. וזה באמת יראה ענין זר או תימה מאד, שאע"פ שאנשי מצרים היו חיייבים להם שכר שנשתעבדו בהם כמ"ש בסנהדרין (דף צא) לא היו ראוים לבא עליהם בעקבה ובדרכים של אנשי רמיה, שאפילו לא היתה ידם תקיפה עליהם לא היה ראוי לעשות כן. וכ"ש אחר שיד ה' יתברך תקיפה וחזקה עליהם, למה הוצרכו לעשות כן, כי אם לומר תנו לנו שכרנו שנשתעבדתם בנו כך וכך ממון, והרי אמרו חכמינו ז"ל אל תכנס לחצר חברך ליטול את שלך שלא ברשות שלא תראה עליו כגנב אלא שבור את שניו ואמור לו שלי אני נוטל. וכל אלו הדברים מתמיהין בעצמם וראוי שיפול ספק מצדן לישראל בנבואתו של משה:
מט אבל היתר אלו הקשרים הוא דבר אחד, שמדרכי ה' ית' הוא להביא עצוי מרחוק להפיל שונאתו בדינו ולקחת נקמתו מהם, כמו שאמר הנביא (ישעיה כה) ה' אלהי אתה ארוממך אודה שמך כי עשית פלא עצות מרחוק אמונה אומן כי שמת מעיר לכל וגו'. וה' יתברך כוון ורצה לדון כל המצריים בדבר אשר זדו על ישראל כמאמר יתרו עתה ידעתי כי גדול ה' וגו', ורצה להביאם בענין שהם בבחירתם יכנסו במים וימותו שמה, ואלו הודיע משה לפרעה הענין בתחלה שהגיע קצם להגאל אין ספק שהיה מסכים בכך מתוקף המצוה ואל היה רודף אחריהם עוד, כי למה ירדפם אחרי שבעודם ברושתו פטרם ושלחם מאלו, לא רצה הש"י שיאמר משה לפרעה הענין כאשר הוא, אבל שיאמר שהם הולכים דרך שלשת ימים לזבוח שכאשר יגידו לו אחר כך כי ברח העם יחשוב פרעה מה שחשב, וכן היה ראוי אליו לחשוב שכל מה שעשה משה רבינו עליו השלום לא בא מאת הש"י אבל נעשה בחכמה וברמיה. כי לולא כן למה יגנוב לבבו לאמר שאינם הולכים רק לזבוח, ולזאת הסבה עצמה צוה וישאלו איש מאת רעהו. שעם היות שממונם היה מותר להם ויכולין לקחתו, צוה שיבאו בעקבה, שאע"פ שיהיה זה לישראל דבר זר, ולזה אמרו דבר נא באזני העם ואין נא אלא לשון בקשה, והוא כאמרו ידעתי שהם אנשי חיל שלא יחפצו במרמות ותוך, עם כל זה תחלה פניהם בשמי שיעשו ככה ולא ישאלו למה, וכאשר הוגד למלך מצרים ולעמו שישראל בורחים אין ספק שחשדום באנשי דמים ומרמה. שאל"כ למה יתנכלו אליהם בדברים האלה, וכל זה הגיעם בלי ספק לרדפם. שאלו אמר משה תחלה שישלחם ולא ירדפם עוד ושיתנו להם שכרם ג"כ, אין ספק שאחרי היות כן לא היו זזים ממקומם. וכונת כל אלו הדברים היתה נעלמת מישראל ואולי גם ממשה, ולסבת כל זה היה ראוי שיספקו ישראל בשליחותו של משה אע"פ שהאמינו בו בתחלה. והוא שרמז ואמר וירא ישראל את היד הגדולה וגו'. כלו' אז הכירו שכל מה שהיו מופלאים ממנו תחלה ומסתפקים בו לא היה רק לסבב שמצריים עצמם יכנסו בים, ולזאת הסבה בעצמה הוא שכתוב בקריעת ים סוף ויולך ה' את הים ברוח קדים עזה כל הלילה וגו', ואין ספק כי הרוח הזה לא היה מספיק לקרוע את הים. אבל רצה השי"ת להטעות פרעה שיחשוב שהפעל ההוא היה טבעי לא נס, שאלולי היה חושב כן לא היה רודף אחריהם, ואין להפליא איך היה מדרכי ה' ית' להטעותו בזה, שהוא הטעהו ביותר מזה כשצוה שיחנו ישראל לפני פי החירות כדי שיאמרו יראתם תבעה עלבונם כמו שאמרו רז"ל. והנה הותרו בזה ספקות רבות שראוי לכל משכיל שיספקו:

והעולה מכל מה שכתבנו הוא שמתחלה האמינו ישראל במשה על פי האותות. ואם כן כבר ידענו הדרך אשר ראוי שיאמן בו הנביא. ולזה הספיק אליו באמרו נביא מקרבך מאחיך כמוני כלו' שנתאמת נבואתו כאשר נתאמתה נבואתי. ושמה שכתב בקריעת ים סוף ויאמינו בה' ובמשה עבדו הוא מה שהותרו מהם הספקות ונבררו להם המבוכות שנפלו באמצע, כי דרכי ה' נשגבים מאד אשר אם יאמר החכם לדעת לא יוכל למצוא. והנה אנו רואים בגאולה זו של מצרים שבאותה עת בעצמו שהיתה הגאולה ובה היו רואים עצמם נגאלים, עם כל זה היו רואים פעלים ומעשים שהם סבת גאולתם ואעפ"כ היו נלאים לעמוד על סבתם עד שגלה ה' יתב' ענינם, כ"ש אנחנו שראוי שנהיה סכלים יותר בגאולה העתידה.

https://www.sefaria.org/Darashos_HaRan.11.46-50?lang=he

דרשות הר״ן דרשה י״א

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2021, 08:27:56 PM »
Perhaps it would have been more accurate to say 'contradictory evidence' as opposed to 'no conclusive evidence' (although they may be the same), but here you go:

דרשות הר״ן דרשה י״א

Sounds very similar to the Abarbanel and likely his source. Don't recall.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2021, 08:35:20 PM »

דרשות הר״ן דרשה י״א

I read that before posting. And it's talking about potentially doubting מרע"ה as the messenger from the רבש"ע. Not about doubting "the existence of Hashem" ח"ו!
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2021, 08:37:46 PM »
I read that before posting. And it's talking about potentially doubting מרע"ה as the messenger from the רבש"ע. Not about doubting "the existence of Hashem" ח"ו!
Paroh used all these as his excuse.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2021, 08:46:48 PM »
Paroh used all these as his excuse.

We're talking about בני ישראל.
-- Dan

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2021, 08:47:43 PM »
That's an interesting distinction that didn't occur to me previously, however I'm skeptical if you're right. He's explaining ויאמינו בה׳ ובמשה עבדו, and that's talking about both of them. He also cites Yisro, and the Pasuk he cites clearly says Yisro was only convinced about  the existence of Hashem by Krias Hayam, nothing about Moshe ( עתה ידעתי כי גדול ה׳ מכל אלוקים, כי בדבר אשר זדו עליהם).

We're talking about בני ישראל.
We're discussing whether or not the Makkos were evidence of the existence of Hashem, not what anybody believed.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2021, 08:55:55 PM »
That's an interesting distinction that didn't occur to me previously, however I'm skeptical if you're right. He's explaining ויאמינו בה׳ ובמשה עבדו, and that's talking about both of them. He also cites Yisro, and the Pasuk he cites clearly says Yisro was only convinced about  the existence of Hashem by Krias Hayam, nothing about Moshe ( עתה ידעתי כי גדול ה׳ מכל אלוקים, כי בדבר אשר זדו עליהם).
We're discussing whether or not the Makkos were evidence of the existence of Hashem, not what anybody believed.

I suggest you reread it several times.

The only thing I see there is potentially doubting מרע"ה as the messenger of Hashem. Nobody (probably not even פרעה) was doubting the existence of Hashem.

See Rambam הלכות ע"ז פ"א ה"ג.
-- Dan

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2021, 09:03:07 PM »
The only thing I see there is potentially doubting מרע"ה as the messenger of Hashem. Nobody (probably not even פרעה) was doubting the existence of Hashem.

And the Ran says very explicitly the 10 Makkos were not evidence of the existence of Hashem. That in no way proves or contradicts the statement that Paraoh & Bnei Yisroel believed in hashem.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2021, 09:04:31 PM »
And the Ran says very explicitly the 10 Makkos were not evidence of the existence of Hashem. That in no way proves or contradicts the statement that Paraoh & Bnei Yisroel believed in hashem.

How does he address אצבע אלוקי-ם היא?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2021, 09:06:50 PM »
How does he address אצבע אלוקי-ם היא?
My understanding is that he says in truth it must have been Yad Hashem, and in the beginning they realized that, but then there were enough questions and doubt to make them lose their original belief.

Perhaps it would have been more accurate to say 'contradictory evidence' as opposed to 'no conclusive evidence' (although they may be the same)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2021, 09:08:32 PM »
My understanding is that he says in truth it must have been Yad Hashem, and in the beginning they realized that, but then there were enough questions and doubt to make them lose their original belief.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2021, 09:20:39 PM »
I like the direction this thread took. 👍🏻