Author Topic: The Pfizer Vaccine and do people who had COVID already need the vaccine?  (Read 11012 times)

Offline mod

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Pfizer Vaccine and do people who had COVID already need the vaccine?
« Reply #210 on: April 01, 2021, 11:29:15 PM »
+1?

Also looking for info about the Moderna same question.
(asking as someone who had pretty rough s/e to first shot a year after recovering from covid.
I got the moderna and had covid about 6 months earlier. After the first, I had the chills and slight fever after first dose. Nothing after the second,  but I was taking ibuprofen around the clock after I received the second dose.

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 01, 2021, 11:37:05 PM »
This summary shows more reactions to Moderna vs Pfizer to first dose:  fever: 8.2% vs 5.8%, chills 8.4% vs. 5.5%.  So yeah, more side effects, but not a huge difference.  https://www.sltrib.com/news/2021/03/26/comparing-covid-vaccines/

There was also a specific rash that was reported for Moderna, about a week after injection.  https://www.massgeneral.org/news/press-release/MGH-researchers-call-for-greater-awareness-of-delayed-skin-reactions-after-moderna-covid19-vaccine

Also slightly more allergic responses with Moderna: 
Scientists from Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women's Hospital administered email, text, phone, and smartphone app survey links to 64,900 employees who received a dose of one of the two mRNA coronavirus vaccines from Dec 16, 2020, to Feb 12, 2021.

A total of 25,929 employees (40%) received the Pfizer vaccine, while 38,971 (60%) received the Moderna vaccine. Eighty-one percent returned at least one symptom survey, which were sent each day for 3 days after vaccination.

Among all vaccinated employees, 1,365 (2.10%) reported acute allergic reactions, defined on the survey as itching, rash, hives, swelling, and/or respiratory symptoms. More Moderna vaccinees (2.20%) reported symptoms than Pfizer vaccinees (1.95%).
https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/03/very-few-severe-allergic-reactions-tied-mrna-covid-vaccines

So, yes, slightly more side effects with Moderna, but not 3 times as much, so not obvious that it would relate to the weight of the vaccine.  What contributes to that difference in weight?  Is it a difference in the amount of mRNA, or are there differences in the amount of lipid and sugar included in each vaccine?   I really don't know the answers to any of these. 

But speaking of drawing conclusions from an n of 2:  My mother had no reaction at all, while I had a sore arm both times (Pfizer).  I had read that side effects decrease with age, so from this I concluded that my mother must be older than me.   ::)

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 01, 2021, 11:51:13 PM »
My mother had no reaction at all, while I had a sore arm both times (Pfizer).  I had read that side effects decrease with age, so from this I concluded that my mother must be older than me.   ::)

Science
Quote from: ExGingi
Yehuda57 needs to spew a certain amount of sarcasm in order to survive through the day.

Online PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 02, 2021, 03:20:53 AM »
speaking of drawing conclusions from an n of 2:  My mother had no reaction at all, while I had a sore arm both times (Pfizer).  I had read that side effects decrease with age, so from this I concluded that my mother must be older than me.   ::)
I wonder if the sore arm is a result of the vaccine in the blood system or the needle / vaccine in the arm, in which case it may make a difference how the actual injection is administered
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר Ė יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 02, 2021, 03:23:17 AM »
Anyone have a good answer to why antibodies are not good enough for all these things you need to be vaccinated for, or have a recent covid test (such as sports games in NY)?
Yes, the vaccines are more effective at preventing illness than a prior infection, especially with variants
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר Ė יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 02, 2021, 07:55:39 AM »
Anyone have a good answer to why antibodies are not good enough for all these things you need to be vaccinated for, or have a recent covid test (such as sports games in NY)?
Politics.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 02, 2021, 07:56:48 AM »
Yes, the vaccines are more effective at preventing illness than a prior infection, especially with variants
Source?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline incendia

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 02, 2021, 09:38:51 AM »
I'm looking to get the J&J vaccine. Does anyone know where I can get in Brooklyn?. Everything I find in vaccinefinder says no appointments available.

Maybe we can start a new thread for this?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 07, 2021, 07:40:58 PM »
Poll:
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/free-stuff/get-free-laminated-copy-covid-vaccine-card-will-get-covid-19-vaccine/

What does the poll have to do with the laminated card?

Also, surprised how many respondents didnít have COVID, though Iíd think theyíre more likely to vote on such a poll.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 12, 2021, 06:54:38 PM »
Had COVID with antibodies, and looking to get vaxxed soon. Haven't been following closely, what's the better course of action to prevent COVID long term, and which has least side effects?

1 shot of Pfizer/Moderna
1 shot J&J

I don't plan on taking 2 shots bec. FWIU it's unnecessary for COVID recoverers.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 12, 2021, 07:16:06 PM »
Had COVID with antibodies, and looking to get vaxxed soon. Haven't been following closely, what's the better course of action to prevent COVID long term, and which has least side effects?

1 shot of Pfizer/Moderna
1 shot J&J

I don't plan on taking 2 shots bec. FWIU it's unnecessary for COVID recoverers.

I donít think this question has been studied or a conclusive answer is known, but you can ask your doctor.

The data we have (for those who havenít been infected) seems to show marginally better efficacy with Pfizer/Moderna single dose vs JNJ, but there isnít any long term data yet.

As for side effects, I donít think there are comparative studies and all vaccines have a significant likelihood of some immediate side-effects that pass and donít leave any long-term effects, and an extremely small risk of more serious side effects that are so rare theyíre considered negligible.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 12, 2021, 07:26:42 PM »
I donít think this question has been studied or a conclusive answer is known, but you can ask your doctor.

The data we have (for those who havenít been infected) seems to show marginally better efficacy with Pfizer/Moderna single dose vs JNJ, but there isnít any long term data yet.

As for side effects, I donít think there are comparative studies and all vaccines have a significant likelihood of some immediate side-effects that pass and donít leave any long-term effects, and an extremely small risk of more serious side effects that are so rare theyíre considered negligible.

Thanks, regarding side effects - not concerned much about long term side effects, rather which one is more likely to knock me out for a few days.