Author Topic: When will a vaccine *really* be available?  (Read 55027 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: When will a vaccine *really* be available?
« Reply #360 on: March 10, 2021, 10:27:00 AM »
If the first 100m doses are administered before a second dose is recommended, we'll need another 100m doses.

You think they're buying them with the assumption that a second dose will end up being recommended? I don't have that much faith in the foresight of this administration.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 10, 2021, 10:37:11 AM »
You think they're buying them with the assumption that a second dose will end up being recommended? I don't have that much faith in the foresight of this administration.
It's possible they have information about the results of the trial. The 2 dose trial started nearly 4 months ago, there likely is enough data to know if it's more effective and to have an idea of how much more effective.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #362 on: March 10, 2021, 10:38:52 AM »
It's possible they have information about the results of the trial. The 2 dose trial started nearly 4 months ago, there likely is enough data to know if it's more effective and to have an idea of how much more effective.

We're talking about the same people who couldn't figure out that their immigration policies would cause a surge at the border... I don't think that's what they're betting on.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 10, 2021, 01:10:28 PM »
They're ordering it simply because J&J is a NJ (US) company. Late to the party maybe but how bad would it look to "patriot" Americans if foreign companies took most of the vaccine loot. The vaccines may be a waste at this point but it balances out the $ that go to Pfizer and Moderna, and it won't be anywhere near the first time that NJ slurps up wasted tax dollars.

Which foreign companies? Pfizer and Moderna are US based companies. Granted Pfizer developed the vaccine together with German BioNTech but the US contract is still with Pfizer. I don’t think any of the Warp Speed finds went to foreign companies, certainly none for vaccines already EUA-approved in the US, please CMIIW.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 10, 2021, 01:24:49 PM »
You're not wrong I am, sorry

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 10, 2021, 01:26:30 PM »
If the first 100m doses are administered before a second dose is recommended, we'll need another 100m doses.
That along with the possibility Moderna & Pfizer deliveries will be delayed or everybody will need booster shots. Netanyahu is negotiating contracts for 10s of millions of doses for a worst-case scenario of a booster every 6 months.

The cost of vaccines is a rounding error. Every day people aren't vaccinated is costing the US economy $10B.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 10, 2021, 01:30:06 PM »
The cost of vaccines is a rounding error. Every day people aren't vaccinated is costing the US economy $10B.

Stimulus money so far (counting the pending $1.9T) is likely close to double that...
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #367 on: March 10, 2021, 02:07:52 PM »
That along with the possibility Moderna & Pfizer deliveries will be delayed or everybody will need booster shots. Netanyahu is negotiating contracts for 10s of millions of doses for a worst-case scenario of a booster every 6 months.

It might not even be a rounding error. In the grand scheme of things, Pfizer got what? 1b? I don't know why they didn't charge double...

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 10, 2021, 02:16:29 PM »
I don't know why they didn't charge double...
Because the governments could always seize it.

Pfizer got what? 1b?
$20+ per dose, around 500-1b doses per year. That's $20b in revenue, and I'd guess at least a quarter of it is net profit after production costs and BioNTech royalties.

Stimulus money so far (counting the pending $1.9T) is likely close to double that...
Stimulus money goes back into the economy. It's taking money from one pocket and putting it into the other, and hopefully growing along the way. In this case, a large portion of the burden is shouldered by emerging economies and countries like China and EU that are exporting to the US.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 10, 2021, 02:16:34 PM »
It might not even be a rounding error. In the grand scheme of things, Pfizer got what? 1b? I don't know why they didn't charge double...

AFAIK Pfizer is getting 19.50/dose, that’s close to 2bn per 100m doses. Sounds like they did charge “double” though I’m not sure where your $1bn figure came from.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 10, 2021, 02:18:24 PM »
I’m not sure where your $1bn figure came from.
The initial US order from Pfizer (that allowed the Trumpsters to claim he deserves credit for developing a BioNTech vaccine Germany funded) was around $1.9B

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 10, 2021, 02:29:14 PM »
The initial US order from Pfizer (that allowed the Trumpsters to claim he deserves credit for developing a BioNTech vaccine Germany funded) was around $1.9B

@Moshe123 said $1bn not $1.9Bn.

I'm not sure where your jab at Trump comes from in the context of my question or the discussion here. Without Pfizer's experience, investment, and support, it isn't clear that BioNTech would be able to bring the vaccine to market so quickly. In any case, Warp Speed and the ~$2bn order was a huge incentive to Pfizer, even if it wasn't upfront funding for R&D, and the Trump administration deserves the credit for Operation Warp Speed and its results

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #372 on: March 10, 2021, 02:31:36 PM »

I'm not sure where your jab at Trump comes from in the context of my question or the discussion here. Without Pfizer's experience, investment, and support, it isn't clear that BioNTech would be able to bring the vaccine to market so quickly. In any case, Warp Speed and the ~$2bn order was a huge incentive to Pfizer, even if it wasn't upfront funding for R&D, and the Trump administration deserves the credit for Operation Warp Speed and its results

My number might have been off. Point stands.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #373 on: March 10, 2021, 04:42:42 PM »

You clearly haven't been around the politics board.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline aygart

• View Profile

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #375 on: March 11, 2021, 08:32:54 PM »
Meanwhile, my wife got her first dose. A couple of hours later, she finds out that she was exposed the day before. After 3 days, she started feeling terrible achiness, but no other symptoms at all. The Drs. are busy speculating about it but told her that she doesn't need to be quarantining. Now it is a week later, and it has not subsided.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 11, 2021, 09:22:12 PM »
Meanwhile, my wife got her first dose. A couple of hours later, she finds out that she was exposed the day before. After 3 days, she started feeling terrible achiness, but no other symptoms at all. The Drs. are busy speculating about it but told her that she doesn't need to be quarantining. Now it is a week later, and it has not subsided.
Did she test for COVID?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 11, 2021, 09:36:54 PM »
Did she test for COVID?

+1, not sure why she wouldn’t test. Based on reported data the vaccine’s effect starts 12-14 days after the first dose.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 11, 2021, 10:15:06 PM »
Did she test for COVID?
+1, not sure why she wouldn’t test. Based on reported data the vaccine’s effect starts 12-14 days after the first dose.
Yes numerous times.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 11, 2021, 10:40:46 PM »
Yes numerous times.

So she’s testing negative for COVID but achy for over a week? Ugh, sounds awful. Might have more to do with the vaccination than with the exposure.

Hope she feels all better ASAP. R”S.