Author Topic: Music Video Thread  (Read 93181 times)

Offline chamdena

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Music Video Thread
« Reply #200 on: August 29, 2013, 11:21:33 AM »
Source for the latter view? Even if it's an appropriate outlook on Rosh Hashana itself, the whole purpose of selichos is tshuva, and even tshuva mei'ahava requires a more serious approach than song and dance. Every sefer I've ever learned pertaining to elul and the lead-up to the yom hadin speaks of the seriousness of the day and the need for trepidation. There is certainly much to be said about the happiness of the new year, and even the elation that we feel at the end of the day, but I don't see how that pertains to the first night of slichos.
I am really sorry to hear that you are a victim of what you've read. If you really want a romance with Gd, if you want a joy-filled life, if you want to get really real with Gd.... There is no shortage of sources to support you in that. It might feel scary, cuz you may have been taught all that from your youth, but it is available if you're willing to risk it.

Offline chamdena

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 29, 2013, 11:29:22 AM »
To put it in psych terms: one who is healthy, and sees himself as the limited, finite, imperfect being he was created to be is quick to realize and accept his imperfections. There is NOTHING surprising or shocking to him about having "failed". Its exactly how he was designed. Next comes this unbelievable joy and gratitude that Gd is crazy over him! It makes no sense! Why would Gd b4 in a love affair with Jews who are only mortal, and his own little creation!?? That's a good reason to sing and dance!
Someone, on the other hand, who is ego ridden and self obsessed canot accept that he has sinned! It becomes a whole anxiety for him...

Offline chamdena

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 29, 2013, 11:30:45 AM »
And one can be SERIOUSLY JOYFUL. The two are entirely not mutually exclusive

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 29, 2013, 11:51:19 AM »
Let's put it this way. I've never seen a gadol dancing and smiling during slichos. I'm pretty sure I'm going to side with that.

One component of tshuva (which I'm pretty sure is universally agreed upon as the central tenet of elul and the yamim noraim) is charata. If you want to show remorse and regret, no sane individual will tell you that the way to do that is by singing and dancing with a smile on your face. This is true even if you've reached the lofty level of tshuva meahava. The only difference between the 2 types of tshuva is what's driving you to do tshuva, not the 'mechanics' of tshuva.

Offline chamdena

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 29, 2013, 12:09:14 PM »
"Gadol" is relative. To me, one who dances at slichos is a gadol!

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 29, 2013, 12:11:10 PM »
To put it in psych terms: one who is healthy, and sees himself as the limited, finite, imperfect being he was created to be is quick to realize and accept his imperfections. There is NOTHING surprising or shocking to him about having "failed". Its exactly how he was designed. Next comes this unbelievable joy and gratitude that Gd is crazy over him! It makes no sense! Why would Gd b4 in a love affair with Jews who are only mortal, and his own little creation!?? That's a good reason to sing and dance!
Someone, on the other hand, who is ego ridden and self obsessed canot accept that he has sinned! It becomes a whole anxiety for him...

"Gadol" is relative. To me, one who dances at slichos is a gadol!

Rav Yisroel Salanter in Ohr Yisroel says that it used to be people would tremble when they heard the word Elul. I'm pretty sure it wasn't related to his ego or being unable to accept that he may have sinned. Is he gadol enough for you?

Offline chamdena

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 29, 2013, 12:12:42 PM »
"showing regret". To whom do you need to show it? Gd can see it even if you don't show it, and just because you show it doesn't mean you have out... You know? Maybe challenge yourself a bit... Maybe there is a deeper concept of Gd, "gadol", teshuvah, etc. not only what you've been taught in 1st grade!

Offline chamdena

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 29, 2013, 12:14:15 PM »
Rav Yisroel Salanter in Ohr Yisroel says that it used to be people would tremble when they heard the word Elul. I'm pretty sure it wasn't related to his ego or being unable to accept that he may have sinned. Is he gadol enough for you?
From Awe. Not fear. And, people USED TO! If you'd like to try to "induce" it - fine. You'll prob. Be going in circles for your whole life

Offline chamdena

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 29, 2013, 12:16:09 PM »
In any event you can not "copy" a gadol and believe that that constitutes a relationship with Gd! Its an act.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #209 on: August 29, 2013, 12:18:51 PM »
and you can not divide your point into 3 separate posts and believe people will take you more seriously for that...

Offline chamdena

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 29, 2013, 12:24:49 PM »
True. I have no investment in anyone taking me seriously. Its a choice to become open to something or keep a snapped shut mind :-)

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #211 on: August 29, 2013, 12:29:37 PM »
True. I have no investment in anyone taking me seriously. Its a choice to become open to something or keep a snapped shut mind :-)
It's not about open minds and closed minds, it's about backing everything with Torah-true sources. Relying on your own mind (whether opened or closed) is a very risky business.

ETA: and while there ARE sources that Teshuvah can and should be done with Simchah, those are usually speaking about the 3rd stage of Teshuvah (Kaballah Al Lehaboh). See Igeret Hateshuvah Perek 11.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 12:36:51 PM by Achas Veachas »

Offline chamdena

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 29, 2013, 12:33:14 PM »
Welcome to adulthood and maturity. A relationship requires a risk. An act does not.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #213 on: August 29, 2013, 12:38:34 PM »
Welcome to adulthood and maturity. A relationship requires a risk. An act does not.
And serving Hashem doesn't tolerate any risks. We have a hard enough Avodah just doing what we're told without wasting time on failed relationships...

Offline chamdena

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 29, 2013, 12:39:55 PM »
Im sorry to hear that Yiddiskeit is so burdensome to you. I hope it gets better soon.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #215 on: August 29, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
"showing regret". To whom do you need to show it? Gd can see it even if you don't show it, and just because you show it doesn't mean you have out... You know? Maybe challenge yourself a bit... Maybe there is a deeper concept of Gd, "gadol", teshuvah, etc. not only what you've been taught in 1st grade!
FTR these are not things we were taught in 1st grade, these are things we are learning and growing to appreciate every day.

Offline chamdena

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 29, 2013, 12:41:49 PM »
Cool!

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #217 on: August 29, 2013, 12:42:34 PM »
Im sorry to hear that Yiddiskeit is so burdensome to you. I hope it gets better soon
Did I say anything about a burden? It takes a serious lack of maturity to see that seriousness does NOT equal sadness/depression/overburden.

Offline chamdena

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 29, 2013, 12:45:12 PM »
And serving Hashem doesn't tolerate any risks. We have a hard enough Avodah just doing what we're told without wasting time on failed relationships...
What your saying is that being an adult: i.e. being willing to take a risk and show up ad an individual in the context of GD, is a failed relationship. so you have no altetnative other than to "do as your told". That's really sad.

Look, to be honest: If you're happy and content in your relationship with Gd - Awedome. Good for you! If not, I am suggesting that there is an alternative. That's all. Take it or leave it.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #219 on: August 29, 2013, 12:51:13 PM »
What your saying is that being an adult: i.e. being willing to take a risk and show up ad an individual in the context of GD, is a failed relationship. so you have no altetnative other than to "do as your told". That's really sad.
Thanks for putting words in my mouth, so let me clarify.
As you mentioned before, Hashem, being infinite, and us, being finite, have no logical way to connect and have a relationship. In fact for a finite being to have a relationship with the infinite is a logical absurdity. Now being that G-d is beyond the finite and beyond the infinite as well, He therefore has the ability to establish such a relationship IN SPITE of it being logically absurd (he is beyond logic as well).
Now, being that this relationship is something the HE initiated, it has to happen on HIS standards, the way HE set it in the Torah. Any relationship based on our finite "feelings" is by definition a failed relationship because it is a finite relationship based on finite "feelings".