Author Topic: Free No-Frills Mincha Reminder Service  (Read 1629 times)

Offline dovg

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Free No-Frills Mincha Reminder Service
« on: December 11, 2020, 12:19:05 AM »
A no-frills (and free) Mincha Reminder service for US and Canada:
You'll get 1 email at Mincha Gedola and 1 email at 15 minutes prior to sunset, clocked to your postal/zip code.
No ads, no images, no html, no requests for donations, and will not share your email.

Subscribing to this service is easy. Just send a blank email to minchareminder@gmail.com and put your postal/zip code in the SUBJECT  (90210, 11230, M6B3B4, H1A 0A1, etc.). One zip/postal per email address.

To update your zmanim location, send another email to minchareminder@gmail.com with your updated  zip/postal code in the SUBJECT to update your location.

To Unsubscribe, send an email to minchareminder@gmail.com with the word 'Unsubscribe' in the SUBJECT.

Subscribe / Unsubscribe requests received after 10:45am EST will be processed the next day.

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
Re: Free No-Frills Mincha Reminder Service
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 01:19:24 AM »
You'll get 1 email at Mincha Gedola and 1 email at 15 minutes prior to sunset, clocked to your postal/zip code.
No ads, no images, no html, no requests for donations, and will not share your email.

Subscribing to this service is easy. Just send a blank email to minchareminder@gmail.com and put your postal/zip code in the SUBJECT  (90210, 11230, M6B3B4, H1A 0A1, etc.). One zip/postal per email address.

To update your zmanim location, send another email to minchareminder@gmail.com with your updated  zip/postal code in the SUBJECT to update your location.

To Unsubscribe, send an email to minchareminder@gmail.com with the word 'Unsubscribe' in the SUBJECT.

Subscribe / Unsubscribe requests received after 10:45am EST will be processed the next day.
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=85216
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline dovg

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 09:44:54 AM »
Yossi, Thanks for cross-posting this. There is no minyan-sign-up element to this service. It strictly a mincha reminder service localized to your time zone with a reminder sent at Mincha Gedola (earliest time for mincha) and another reminder send at 15min prior to sunset.

This service was envisioned to help those like me that don't typically daven mincha with a minyan during the weekdays in the winter and therefore could easily forget (or end up doing a very (very) late) mincha.

Its a no-frills and l'shma service, meaning low bandwidth and zero intent on any commercialization of this service and list.

Please give it a try. Its free for DansDeals users (and the rest of the world too)  ;D

A freilechen Chanuka.

DG

Subscribing to this service is easy. Just send a blank email to [b]minchareminder@gmail.com[/b] and put your postal/zip code in the SUBJECT  (90210, 11230, M6B3B4, H1A 0A1, etc.). One zip/postal per email address.

Offline dovg

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 09:43:57 PM »
Now that Chanuka is over; those of us that don't regularly daven mincha with a minyan during the weekdays are once again faced with the challenge to remember to daven before its too late. 

To that end, a no-fills mincha reminder service was developed to help those living in the US and Canada.

You'll get an email at Mincha Gedola (your earliest time to daven) and another 15 minutes prior to sunset, localized to your zip/postal code.

No frills - meaning no ads, no images, no html, no requests for donations, and we will not share your email.

Give it a try and subscribe today.

Online Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 09:56:15 PM »
Thank you very much @dovg . I signed up a week ago. Very useful especially this winter as my office's minyan is closed due to COVID.

Offline dovg

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 09:35:08 AM »
Yehuda, I'm glad you like it!

Offline dovg

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 01:12:13 PM »
Sharing some anecdotal user feedback, in case this appeals to anyone else in these forums. As follows:

Anecdotally, we've found that typical users of this service are:

1) Office workers (men and women) without access to a regular mincha minyan during the weekday AND are not attached to their smartphone (smartphone on silent or on DND) during office hours. For these users, an email to their work email address at mincha gedola and before shkia is the best way to gently interrupt their focus and remind them to daven mincha.

2) Homemakers (primarily women) that want to daven mincha as early as possible (mincha gedola) before the house gets lively with children home from school, etc.

If you or someone you know may benefit from this free/l'shma service please review/pass on the below information:

A no-fills mincha reminder service was developed to help those living in the US and Canada.

You'll get an email at Mincha Gedola (your earliest time to daven) and another email 15 minutes prior to sunset, localized to your zip/postal code.

No frills - meaning no ads, no images, no html, no requests for donations, and we will not share your email.

To update your zmanim location, send another email to minchareminder@gmail.com with your updated  zip/postal code in the SUBJECT to update your location. Changes take effect immediately.

To Unsubscribe, send an email to minchareminder@gmail.com with the word 'Unsubscribe' in the SUBJECT. Unsubscribe requests take effect immediately.

Give it a try and subscribe today.

Offline Am

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 01:48:48 PM »
This inspired me to create an Automation on My IPhone. Here are step by step instructions for those who aren’t familiar with iPhone automations.

Open “Shortcuts” app
Press “Automation”
Press the “+”
Click on “Create Personal Automation”
Click on “Time of day”
Press “Sunset”
Choose how much before sunset you want to be reminded.
Press “Next”
Press “add action”
Click on “apps”
Click on “messages”
Press “send message”
Press on where it says “message” in blue.
Type “Mincha Reminder” or something like that.
Press on where it says “Recipients” in blue.
Type your own phone number.
Press “done”
Press “Next”
Press “Done” again.

Offline dovg

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 04:31:50 PM »
Am,  Nicely done. But for me Mincha Gedola is an important marker for me, since I tend to be busier at/near Shkia.

I don't believe (please correct me if I'm wrong!) that iPhone Automation can take sunrise/sunset and give you shaos zmanios to Mincha Gedola. 

Mincha Gedola is the value-add that I think minchareminder@gmail.com brings to the table.