Author Topic: Famous People receiving the Covid vaccine publicly.  (Read 16280 times)

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Famous People receiving the Covid vaccine publicly.
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2021, 06:01:03 PM »
Two things:

1) J&J is actually quite effective at preventing illness and is nearly 100% effective at preventing severe illness and death

2) I never really understood that train of thought, short of the shot being annoying and the danger of the flu not too great. Because something is not 100% effective is no less of a reason to take it, it’s all about risk reduction.

I believe I’ve said this elsewhere: Someone told me they won’t take the shot because it’s not 100% effective anyway. I told them they shouldn’t go to work because they’ll never be the richest man in the world anyway.

Many people are not concerned about themselves personally getting covid. So the only incentive to take the vaccine is to be allowed to travel, avoid quarantine requirements, end masking. The J&J is not widely accepted to fulfill these criteria.

Offline lcm

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2021, 06:03:01 PM »

I told them they shouldn’t go to work because they’ll never be the richest man in the world anyway.

It seems like more and more people are becoming less hypocritical, and are actually taking your advice ;)

Online Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2021, 06:03:26 PM »
Many people are not concerned about themselves personally getting covid. So the only incentive to take the vaccine is to be allowed to travel, avoid quarantine requirements, end masking. The J&J is not widely accepted to fulfill these criteria.
Couldn’t agree more. It is about what is perceived to be the best vaccine.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2021, 06:49:47 PM »

Most young/healthy people perhaps.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2021, 07:04:40 PM »
Your analogy isn't even close. I don't get flu shots. The only times I've ever gotten sick were when I got the shot. I don't feel like my risk is lessened by getting the shot.
But feelings don’t matter, data does, and the data is clear that getting the flu vaccine lowers your risk of contracting the flu (by varying levels each year), anecdotal experience notwithstanding. I’m not saying everyone has to take the flu shot, or that it’s fantastically efficient, but it’s laughable to say your risk isn’t lessened.

Same for J&J. I see no reason to introduce this disease into my body.
Come on. Et tu?

You cannot contract COVID from getting the vaccine.

Like most people who are somewhat leery of new tech, I will most likely eventually get one of the mRNA shots. Not liking new tech doesn't mean I'd rather settle for inferior solutions.
As I have posted previously I agree that getting the mRNA shot is far better, and would probably have personally held out a bit longer for Pfizer/Moderna even if J&J would have been available to me a bit sooner.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2021, 07:24:03 PM »
Your analogy isn't even close.
Do you understand what my analogy was intended to illustrate? Risk is a spectrum. Taking a vaccine reduces risk. It’s not all or nothing.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2021, 08:41:21 PM »
But feelings don’t matter, data does, and the data is clear that getting the flu vaccine lowers your risk of contracting the flu (by varying levels each year), anecdotal experience notwithstanding. I’m not saying everyone has to take the flu shot, or that it’s fantastically efficient, but it’s laughable to say your risk isn’t lessened.

It lowers the risk of contracting the flu, should you come in contact with it. For whatever reason, my lifestyle hasn't put me in a situation where I've had significant exposure to the flu for the last 10-15 years. BH people tend to stay home when they get it, for some weird reason.

Come on. Et tu?

You cannot contract COVID from getting the vaccine.

Didn't say you could. I don't want to put that into my body if I can avoid it.

Do you understand what my analogy was intended to illustrate? Risk is a spectrum. Taking a vaccine reduces risk. It’s not all or nothing.

I understand what you were trying to illustrate. My point is that people like me are not looking for 100%. We understand lowering risk. We just don't like the J&J vax, and skepticism regarding mRNA as a new tech is keeping us from taking the plunge to lower risk immediately. That skepticism isn't a lifelong commitment. I'm not looking to be the richest man in the world; I'm just not willing to take a job I don't like if I don't absolutely have to. I'd rather wait for the right job, at the right time.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2021, 10:12:24 PM »
It lowers the risk of contracting the flu, should you come in contact with it. For whatever reason, my lifestyle hasn't put me in a situation where I've had significant exposure to the flu for the last 10-15 years. BH people tend to stay home when they get it, for some weird reason.

Didn't say you could. I don't want to put that into my body if I can avoid it.

I understand what you were trying to illustrate. My point is that people like me are not looking for 100%. We understand lowering risk. We just don't like the J&J vax, and skepticism regarding mRNA as a new tech is keeping us from taking the plunge to lower risk immediately. That skepticism isn't a lifelong commitment. I'm not looking to be the richest man in the world; I'm just not willing to take a job I don't like if I don't absolutely have to. I'd rather wait for the right job, at the right time.
While I may not agree with you, I definitely understand. I specifically took umbrage with the following lines
I don't get flu shots. The only times I've ever gotten sick were when I got the shot. I don't feel like my risk is lessened by getting the shot. Same for J&J. I see no reason to introduce this disease into my body.
I understood “my risk” to mean “my risk of contracting the flu”, and “this disease” to mean COVID. Was I wrong?

“No reason” is also obviously a false absolute, because lowering risk is at least “a” reason albeit perhaps an insufficient one for you.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2021, 10:48:36 PM »
While I may not agree with you, I definitely understand. I specifically took umbrage with the following linesI understood “my risk” to mean “my risk of contracting the flu”, and “this disease” to mean COVID. Was I wrong?

“No reason” is also obviously a false absolute, because lowering risk is at least “a” reason albeit perhaps an insufficient one for you.

No reason for J&J. If I feel the risk warrants it, I'd quicker take the more effective mRNAs.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2021, 11:09:39 PM »
No reason for J&J. If I feel the risk warrants it, I'd quicker take the more effective mRNAs.
Despite the claims that mRNA technology is untested?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2021, 11:20:08 PM »
Despite the claims that mRNA technology is untested?

Personally? Yes. I'd rather wait for 2.0, but if my risk level warrants a vaccine immediately, I'd go with mRNA. I'm sure others will have different preferences.

Online yeshivabucher

• View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2021, 10:58:52 AM »
@Something Fishy via his status LOL

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline grodnoking

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2021, 11:07:17 AM »
@Something Fishy via his status LOL
B"H. They should have given it to all people his height first, we need better 5G reception.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2021, 02:04:44 PM »
B"H. They should have given it to all people his height first, we need better 5G reception.

https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/1377251952304750593

Offline lcm

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2021, 03:34:00 PM »
I'm all seriousness, do you think posting this on DDMS might encourage others who are hesitant to do it?
@Dan can we get a poll on the ddms page "will you get the vaccine because of this?" :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #136 on: April 02, 2021, 02:49:27 PM »
@Dan can we get a poll on the ddms page "will you get the vaccine because of this?" :)
Dunno about that, but holy cow did that post attract the FUDsters. Stopped approving the FUD and had to turn off commenting, was getting absurd.
But I guess that's to be expected these days  ::)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 02, 2021, 03:58:38 PM »
Dunno about that, but holy cow did that post attract the FUDsters. Stopped approving the FUD and had to turn off commenting, was getting absurd.
You knew exactly where you were going into..

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #138 on: April 02, 2021, 04:02:52 PM »
You knew exactly where you were going into..
Of course. But commenters just get way too personal and get into absurd straw man arguments.
Nunu.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 02, 2021, 04:03:55 PM »
What did I miss? Was this a DDMS post?