Poll

Will you get the COVID vaccine?

I never got COVID, and I plan to get the vaccine as soon as it's available to me
21 (26.6%)
I never got COVID, and I plan to wait before I get the vaccine
12 (15.2%)
I never got COVID, and I plan to never get the vaccine
4 (5.1%)
I got COVID, and I plan to get the vaccine as soon as it's available to me
9 (11.4%)
I got COVID, and I plan to wait before I get the vaccine
18 (22.8%)
I got COVID, and I plan to never get the vaccine
15 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: Will you get the COVID vaccine?  (Read 6138 times)

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« on: December 18, 2020, 08:23:30 AM »
I am not a fan of most of the polls about willingness to take a vaccine, as I explain in a comment I wrote on the Lakewood Scoop. I therefore created a new poll that has options that can show with greater accuracy real indications of vaccine confidence.

I believe the first three options are much bigger indicators of a level of confidence. Polls that mix in those who already got covid who assume themselves to be immune automatically skew confidence levels downwards.

If you already got the vaccine, check the "plan to get it as soon as it's available" box in your category, as it's an indication that you have confidence in the vaccine.

Online Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 08:32:45 AM »
You need to add a "I don't know; ask me again in 4 months when it will be available for me" option. Because that's where I'm leaning.

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Will you get the COVID vaccine?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 08:43:30 AM »
You have to add in age group and risk bracket. There are so many factors that one would have to take a huge survey to be able to extrapolate numbers for the general population.

The actual scientifically proven efficacy is also a very relevant number, on which I believe there's currently not great data. (I don't think enough people in control placebo group got infected to have comparative exact inoculation effectiveness ascertained.) Once that number is more accurately pinpointed, people can start doing the math if they have to be concerned for protecting those in the higher risk bracket, or if they can assume that they've been effectively protected by the vaccine.

The length of implied immunity due to previous infection is also an unknown, as is long term covid effects.

There's a lot of moving parts, and a long way to go on this.

Offline Der Deutsche Jude

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, CA, FAA, GA, NA, OA, WA
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 09:07:12 AM »
You have to add in age group and risk bracket. There are so many factors that one would have to take a huge survey to be able to extrapolate numbers for the general population.

The actual scientifically proven efficacy is also a very relevant number, on which I believe there's currently not great data. (I don't think enough people in control placebo group got infected to have comparative exact inoculation effectiveness ascertained.) Once that number is more accurately pinpointed, people can start doing the math if they have to be concerned for protecting those in the higher risk bracket, or if they can assume that they've been effectively protected by the vaccine.

The length of implied immunity due to previous infection is also an unknown, as is long term covid effects.

Are you suggesting this for a DDF poll? First of all it’s a poor sample. Secondly, there won’t be enough responses to draw any conclusion even within the DDF demographic. Thirdly, the DDF poll features are quite basic and not capable of anything slightly advanced.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 09:59:25 AM »

While the efficacy numbers aren't 100% exact, they're close enough. I don't think it will change many minds if the efficacy is 94% or 96% instead of 95%.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 10:45:12 AM »

I seriously considered including risk factors, but I was afraid of the poll ending up like this one. However, the poll so far, with 12 respondents, seems to indicate that my hunch was right, and that those who never got COVID are much more willing to take the vaccine, and that any poll without this distinction is probably skewed by responses by those who already got COVID.

Offline Der Deutsche Jude

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, CA, FAA, GA, NA, OA, WA
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 11:05:03 AM »
I seriously considered including risk factors, but I was afraid of the poll ending up like this one. However, the poll so far, with 12 respondents, seems to indicate that my hunch was right, and that those who never got COVID are much more willing to take the vaccine, and that any poll without this distinction is probably skewed by responses by those who already got COVID.
I'm sorry but a poll with a sample size of 16 is meaningless

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 11:31:48 AM »
I'm sorry but a poll with a sample size of 16 is meaningless unscientific
I'm not trying to make a scientific theory here. I'm trying to get a feeling of what people think, and that can be done with with a small sample size. Also, hopefully more people will respond.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 11:36:10 AM »
The question is how many people didn't vote because there wasn't a good option for them
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 11:36:53 AM »
The question is how many people didn't vote because there wasn't a good option for them

Geez, every thread becomes political

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 11:40:59 AM »
Anyone is welcome to weigh in here, as a post. I've turned off my zapper for posts I don't like. Really, guys, you can say what's on your mind now.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2020, 11:47:33 AM »
No politics, but there weren't any options that left room for deciding in the future.
I "liked" this post since that was my answer:
You need to add a "I don't know; ask me again in 4 months when it will be available for me" option. Because that's where I'm leaning.
Though it might be more than 4 months, who knows!

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2020, 11:55:07 AM »
No politics, but there weren't any options that left room for deciding in the future.
I "liked" this post since that was my answer:Though it might be more than 4 months, who knows!
I think "I plan to wait" means I'm holding out, and if everything looks good at some point in the future I'll take it then. I think anyone who votes "I plan to wait" is leaving open the possibility that they won't feel comfortable with it in the future.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2020, 11:56:44 AM »
Geez, every thread becomes political
*tears of laughter emoji* *tears of laughter emoji*
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 12:10:07 PM »
I think "I plan to wait" means I'm holding out, and if everything looks good at some point in the future I'll take it then. I think anyone who votes "I plan to wait" is leaving open the possibility that they won't feel comfortable with it in the future.
It says "I plan to wait before I get the vaccine", not "I plan to wait and see/decide".

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2020, 12:17:33 PM »
It says "I plan to wait before I get the vaccine", not "I plan to wait and see/decide".
Why would you wait once it’s available to you if you know you’re getting it?

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2020, 12:31:45 PM »
Why would you wait once it’s available to you if you know you’re getting it?
Who knows? I didn't vote for that option :)

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2020, 12:44:01 PM »
Who knows? I didn't vote for that option :)
But that would be the correct option for someone in your case. Choosing to wait means incorporating future information to make your decision.

All who agree with me like this post. ;)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2020, 03:33:12 PM »
I think the best argument for waiting is that more effective vaccines may emerge and those who got an early one will be precluded by vector immunity, but for me, better one bird in the hands than 2 on the tree.

Anybody who is truly worried about side effects or long term effects, is either hypercritical or doesn't drive/eat processed foods/sugar etc.

Anybody who isn't worried about Covid damages is uninformed or delusional. There is no argument to be made.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline iAm

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2020, 06:22:32 PM »
This is just anecdotal, but I know a lot of people in the hospital I'm in seemed hesitant about getting the vaccine when it was hypothetical. Then when they actually offered it to us, almost everyone I know jumped at the chance, to the extant that people were renting cars to go to satellite hospitals over an hour away that still had supply.

I think when people are actually offered an opportunity to take it, its going to be hard to actually turn that down.
iThink. Ergo. iAm