Author Topic: UK COVID Mutation  (Read 20027 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: UK COVID Mutation
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2021, 09:27:31 PM »
https://twitter.com/chelseasomba/status/1350506322630946817

An Israeli relative told me (pre-COVID) that it’s policy in Israel for schools not send children home with severe cold symptoms, because it’s good for their peers’ immunity.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2021, 09:41:09 PM »
This is another explanation for flu mitigation: With COVID around people avoid sneezing/coughing like the plague (no pun intended), so they’re less exposed to those with flu symptoms.

This is definitely very true among adults.

I was just thinking that its not even spreading among children in the frum community who are in school and also playing with friends and neighbors outside of school and for the most part are not practicing social distancing or wearing masks. I highly doubt they are being careful not to cough or sneeze in public, certainly not younger children like 4, 5, or 6 year olds. Nevertheless, there's no flu going around in that population either.

my guess would be this especially. the one part that is being most strongly followed, even by (most) people who are ignoring the rest. that would explain

considering that supposedly, covid spreads pre-symptomatic, while flu spreads most alongside symptoms

This theory makes sense, but basically you're saying that there was someone who had flu but stayed home and didn't spread it. Which means he got it from someone else who got it from someone, etc which is already more than the 0 flu cases reported this far. Unless flu is introduced somehow else, other than from person to person? And it was killed off immediately by lack of ability to spread?

I have no issue with flu not existing, I'm just finding it very puzzling.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2021, 09:45:12 PM »
Could it be that people who are sick aren't going to the doctor so they aren't tested for flu, they are just staying home until they get better.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2021, 10:10:17 PM »
You keep mentioning 0 flu cases. How is there a flu shot with this years strains if there’s no flu cases anywhere?

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2021, 10:24:52 PM »
You keep mentioning 0 flu cases. How is there a flu shot with this years strains if there’s no flu cases anywhere?

I have no idea. I didn't say 0 worldwide or even nationwide. And I gave that shot to my kids under age 5 as per DOH protocol since schools and daycares require it to attend.

Please read my initial post. I was repeating what my pediatrician told me and I wasn't making it up. If you'd like to call and discuss with their practice please feel free. I actually was so surprised that I had him repeat to me at least 3 times that they've seen 0 cases as have many other practices they're in contact with. Its just weird if you ask me.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2021, 10:30:04 PM »
I have no idea. I didn't say 0 worldwide or even nationwide. And I gave that shot to my kids under age 5 as per DOH protocol since schools and daycares require it to attend.

Please read my initial post. I was repeating what my pediatrician told me and I wasn't making it up. If you'd like to call and discuss with their practice please feel free. I actually was so surprised that I had him repeat to me at least 3 times that they've seen 0 cases as have many other practices they're in contact with. Its just weird if you ask me.

I did some Googling. There are definitely some flu cases but the occurrences are indeed lower than usual.

One more reason not mentioned is that more flu vaccines have been administered this year, and they’ve been administered earlier.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2021, 10:34:10 PM »
Could it be that people who are sick aren't going to the doctor so they aren't tested for flu, they are just staying home until they get better.

I don't think so. Everyone (or almost everyone) runs for COVID testing if they don't feel well. Maybe they're only testing for COVID and not flu?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2021, 10:36:01 PM »
Everyone (or almost everyone) runs for COVID testing if they don't feel well.
I would think there are just as many people who wouldn't take a covid test at all costs. I've yet to take one.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2021, 10:38:11 PM »
I don't think so. Everyone (or almost everyone) runs for COVID testing if they don't feel well. Maybe they're only testing for COVID and not flu?

I just remembered now:

I’ve been weirdly sick now for a week+, no fever but chills and sweats, sore throat, lethargy and fatigue, upset stomach, and sniffles. Negative PCR test.

My local urgent care won’t test me for the flu, which is quite upsetting. My primary care physician offers COVID hours that don’t work for me, so I can’t go there. Really wondering if it’s flu/strep, a confirmation would be nice.

I guess maybe less flu testing this year as well? I wonder why they’d skip flu tests? On the off chance someone has both flu and COVID they want it classified as COVID so they make more $$?

Another point here is that the percentage of positive flu tests is lower than usual, but that can be because people with COVID symptoms are testing negative for flu.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2021, 10:38:26 PM »
I would think there are just as many people who wouldn't take a covid test at all costs. I've yet to take one.

Because?

I wasn't talking about us, I was referring to the general US population that seems to be very into testing at every sneeze. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what it looks like to me.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2021, 10:39:03 PM »

You’ve yet to take one on principle? Did you ever have extensive exposure and/or symptoms?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2021, 10:40:24 PM »
testing at every sneeze.

Even if you sneeze twice, a single COVID test will suffice :D

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2021, 10:43:45 PM »
I just remembered now:

I guess maybe less flu testing this year as well? I wonder why they’d skip flu tests? On the off chance someone has both flu and COVID they want it classified as COVID so they make more $$?

Another point here is that the percentage of positive flu tests is lower than usual, but that can be because people with COVID symptoms are testing negative for flu.

Right, I remember now that you had written that and I agree its upsetting as well as odd that they would refuse a flu test. Boils down to money as you mentioned and also politics.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2021, 10:44:16 PM »
Maybe they're only testing for COVID and not flu?
Maybe?
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2021, 10:47:05 PM »
Because?

I wasn't talking about us, I was referring to the general US population that seems to be very into testing at every sneeze. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what it looks like to me.
The test isn't appealing and at most points it would've offered me little benefit (I live alone and can isolate easily). I've taken several antibodies tests which all came out negative.

Knowing one has covid is a serious burden of telling your contacts.

I don't think the general US population is running to test at all, the positivity rate is over 10% which is higher than most of the world and that's with mandated testing for nursing homes etc.

You’ve yet to take one on principle? Did you ever have extensive exposure and/or symptoms?
I isolated once for exposure (I had no contacts that would be affected if I tested positive). Since February I haven't had any significant  symptoms. I did just go and make sure I can still smell as feeling slightly sluggish  :)

Right, I remember now that you had written that and I agree its upsetting as well as odd that they would refuse a flu test. Boils down to money as you mentioned and also politics.
I'm actually surprised to hear there's such a thing as a flu test  ;D would never cross my mind to go to a doctor for standard flu symptoms. IYH I'll need a proper PCR test for some travel soon.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2021, 10:51:33 PM »
I did just go and make sure I can still smell as feeling slightly sluggish  :)

Sluggishness isn’t a symptom of COVID, rather a symptom of COVID-fatigue :D

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2021, 10:53:56 PM »
This is definitely very true among adults.

I was just thinking that its not even spreading among children in the frum community who are in school and also playing with friends and neighbors outside of school and for the most part are not practicing social distancing or wearing masks. I highly doubt they are being careful not to cough or sneeze in public, certainly not younger children like 4, 5, or 6 year olds. Nevertheless, there's no flu going around in that population either.

This theory makes sense, but basically you're saying that there was someone who had flu but stayed home and didn't spread it. Which means he got it from someone else who got it from someone, etc which is already more than the 0 flu cases reported this far. Unless flu is introduced somehow else, other than from person to person? And it was killed off immediately by lack of ability to spread?

I have no issue with flu not existing, I'm just finding it very puzzling.

There needs to be a match. If there is no match due to global conditions, it doesn't matter how close our kids are in school.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2021, 10:55:35 PM »

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2021, 10:57:32 PM »
Sluggishness isn’t a symptom of COVID, rather a symptom of COVID-fatigue :D
I see the end already. If everything stays on track it will be mostly over by March/April in Israel, July/August in the US iyh, and likely earlier.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2021, 10:58:52 PM »
I see the end already. If everything stays on track it will be mostly over by March/April in Israel, July/August in the US iyh, and likely earlier.

אמן.

From your mouth straight to G-d's ears.

(Not being sarcastic)