Author Topic: UK COVID Mutation  (Read 20113 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: UK COVID Mutation
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2021, 03:08:18 AM »
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2021, 03:49:29 AM »
I don't think so. Everyone (or almost everyone) runs for COVID testing if they don't feel well. Maybe they're only testing for COVID and not flu?

Pretty sure I read that flu tests are actually up while flu positivity rates are waaaay down.
Visibly Jewish

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2021, 09:07:20 AM »
Pretty sure I read that flu tests are actually up while flu positivity rates are waaaay down.

Possible.

I couldn't find testing data for last year to compare but according to this,  testing doesn't seem to be up:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/#:~:text=Influenza-Associated%20Hospitalizations%3A&text=A%20total%20of%20136%20laboratory,of%200.5%20per%20100%2C000%20population.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #144 on: January 28, 2021, 04:13:53 AM »
Fascinating, at Friendly Urgent care last week the doctor told me most of her COVID+ patients recently have been presenting with a sore throat.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 28, 2021, 02:03:24 PM »
Fascinating, at Friendly Urgent care last week the doctor told me most of her COVID+ patients recently have been presenting with a sore throat.

dumb question but does the regular nasal swab pickup the mutation?

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 28, 2021, 02:06:06 PM »
Anyone else been wondering why after nearly 12 months of no significant mutations, we see four similar mutations almost simultaneously?
Is this just chance? Was it programmed into the virus by the Chinese? Clear yad hashem to show us we're not in charge just as we get close to a vaccine?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2021, 02:07:59 PM »
Anyone else been wondering why after nearly 12 months of no significant mutations, we see four similar mutations almost simultaneously?
Is this just chance? Was it programmed into the virus by the Chinese? Clear yad hashem to show us we're not in charge just as we get close to a vaccine?
BILL GATES-FAUCI
dumb question but does the regular nasal swab pickup the mutation?
Not a dumb question but the answer is yes.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2021, 02:15:05 PM »
Technically speaking if an evolution takes x amount of time+spread, it follows that around the same time many different ones will emerge.

I.e. if pregnancy takes 9 months, it follows that 9 months after a seeding event many different babies will appear around the same time.

Additionally, the UK was doing orders of magnitude more sequencing than other countries so they were more likely to identify it, and then other countries started checking more and found others.

We are also more worried about benign mutations now (Making them discussed more), only UK & SA have been proven to really be worse, although to me P.1 from Brazil is the scariest.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 28, 2021, 02:16:31 PM »
I wonder if that can be a weather related event, the biggest news to me was that lack of smell isn’t a common symptom anymore

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #150 on: January 28, 2021, 02:33:03 PM »
I wonder if that can be a weather related event, the biggest news to me was that lack of smell isn’t a common symptom anymore
Not according to the people I know who have it..

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 28, 2021, 02:43:58 PM »
Not according to the people I know who have it..
Hard to know if they have the UK variant

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 28, 2021, 02:54:32 PM »
Technically speaking if an evolution takes x amount of time+spread, it follows that around the same time many different ones will emerge.
That's not really how it works. Mutations are random events. Very dissimilar from
I.e. if pregnancy takes 9 months, it follows that 9 months after a seeding event many different babies will appear around the same time.
Which is a direct cause/effect event
Additionally, the UK was doing orders of magnitude more sequencing than other countries so they were more likely to identify it, and then other countries started checking more and found others.
That is definitely slightly true, but there has been sequencing going on all over for a while and nothing was found
We are also more worried about benign mutations now (Making them discussed more),
More discussed, yes. But it's still a fact that there were no significant mutations until recently
only UK & SA have been proven to really be worse, although to me P.1 from Brazil is the scariest.
Agreed

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2021, 03:21:17 PM »

I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories, but this one seems like a real possibility to me. I don't think they'd have the technology to program mutations that spontaneously erupt x months later, but they could certainly have the mutations lined up and release them in x location on y date just like they would have done in Wuhan at the end of 2019.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline iluv2travel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2021, 03:37:04 PM »
I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories, but this one seems like a real possibility to me. I don't think they'd have the technology to program mutations that spontaneously erupt x months later, but they could certainly have the mutations lined up and release them in x location on y date just like they would have done in Wuhan at the end of 2019.

And the plot thickens...

I don't go for conspiracies either, but let's say this one is a possibility, then I would venture to say that it seems they timed the release of these mutations together with the vaccine roll out to throw a wrench out there by perhaps the vaccine not work on the mutations keeping the virus prevalent?

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2021, 04:48:26 PM »
Isn't it the nature of viruses like these to mutate? #notanepidemiologistoffwhatsapp 

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2021, 04:51:43 PM »
Isn't it the nature of viruses like these to mutate? #notanepidemiologistoffwhatsapp 
Of course, but it just seems so unlikely for it not to mutate for so long and then simultaneously mutate in multiple separate streams

Online Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2021, 04:54:23 PM »
but it just seems so unlikely for it not to mutate for so long and then simultaneously mutate in multiple separate streams
This is based on your vast knowledge of virology?

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2021, 04:56:51 PM »
Of course, but it just seems so unlikely for it not to mutate for so long and then simultaneously mutate in multiple separate streams

A) how long would it usually take?
B) some of these strains may have been around for longer but just not noticed for a while

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2021, 04:59:16 PM »
This is based on your vast knowledge of virology?
Yes, actually more based on knowledge of chance and probability