Author Topic: Citi Thankyou Points refund instead of cash - worth the effort?  (Read 2306 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Citi Thankyou Points refund instead of cash - worth the effort?
« on: December 15, 2022, 01:30:41 PM »
I was going to spend a few days in FL last month, and booked the hotel using Citi Thankyou points and got $100 annual hotel credit.

Unfortunately, we had to cut the trip short. The hotel agreed to refund the 2 extra nights, but since they were reserved and paid through Citi, it had to be done with them. I had to get Citi to call the hotel, who authorized the refund, and Citi said they will refund the points.

This week I got a check in the mail from CX Loyalty refunding the 2 nights. I'm not sure how they calculated the refund, but it does seem like they didn't claw back (at least not entirely) the $100 credit. However, the end result is that Citi gave me 1 cent per TY point, whereas I can probably get better value from the points (most likely a transfer to TK at some point).

Is it worth the time and effort to try and have them void the check and refund points, or should I just cash the $406 check and move on?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Citi Thankyou Points refund instead of cash - worth the effort?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 02:18:23 PM »
40K at 1cpp isn't insignificant, but I'm sure the effort required to fix this will be Herculean.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 02:42:15 PM »
40K at 1cpp isn't insignificant, but I'm sure the effort required to fix this will be Herculean.

Exactly. Hence my question. This is already after several calls to get the refund (which was supposed to be done back into points). I estimate that the value of the points is around 20%-30% more than the cash (haven't bought TYP recently), the question is whether the effort will end up paying less than minimum wage.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2022, 02:45:17 PM »
Like I said, probably not.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Spoon

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2022, 03:12:07 PM »
the question is whether the effort will end up paying less than minimum wage.

Way less