Author Topic: Ideas in how to lower the temperature  (Read 23357 times)

Online YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas in how to lower the temperature
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2021, 11:34:02 PM »
I eat cake even though I know I shouldn't.
Don't eat that cake. I'll be right over.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2021, 11:34:49 PM »
So in your opinion, whenever they want, Congress can decide which presidents they like, which they don't, and remove the President accordingly?
100%, that's exactly the privilege the constitution afforded them, and why they required a 2/3 vote.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2021, 11:35:37 PM »
I think this whole blowback against R pols for objecting on its own is ridiculous, so I'm certainly not defending it in the absolute sense - but none of your examples are comparable to 2020. DJT is the sitting president and therefore technically in control of the various levers of power. He has not officially conceded even to this day (CMIIW). The objections you refer to in previous years were largely ceremonial - the loser had conceded already (even Gore), and none of those losers were the sitting President. Hard to argue that this time, when Trump has been going on for weeks about all the ways the R establishment should be handing him the second term, it was only ceremonial. That may in fact have been the intent of some of them, but it was foolish given the circumstances.
I wrote nothing referencing those years to Trump.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2021, 11:43:05 PM »
100%, that's exactly the privilege the constitution afforded them, and why they required a 2/3 vote.
Fake news. (But like anything else DJT related I can't expect you to be able to see the truth, no matter how black and white it is.)

But regardless, all this is completely irrelevant to my OP:
Maybe now educate us on the damages done by spending four years trying to undo the 2016 election and remove Trump...

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2021, 11:44:35 PM »
Fake news. (But like anything else DJT related I can't expect you to be able to see the truth, no matter how black and white it is.)

So when you can't prove your point, you resort to attacking my competency.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2021, 11:44:37 PM »
I wrote nothing referencing those years to Trump.
Don't be obtuse. You clearly were trying to say that if objecting is reprehensible (or insert whatever terminology is relevant here) in 2020 it must have been reprehensible in prior years when D's did it as well. And my post was in response to that, pointing out the differences is context that might make one feel differently about 2020 than 2016, 2004, 2000, or any other historical example.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2021, 11:49:03 PM »
Don't be obtuse. You clearly were trying to say that if objecting is reprehensible (or insert whatever terminology is relevant here) in 2020 it must have been reprehensible in prior years when D's did it as well. And my post was in response to that, pointing out the differences is context that might make one feel differently about 2020 than 2016, 2004, 2000, or any other historical example.
Maybe I didn't read it will enough, but I thought you were saying it wasn't a comparison to what Trump did.

Do you think that Cruz had a thought it would work?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2021, 11:50:22 PM »
+1

No, but he knew very well he was pandering to a very large crowd that thought it would.

Online zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2021, 11:51:33 PM »

"The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors."

While there are those that argue that it doesn't have to be an actual crime, even they would agree that there has to be some misdeed (not political disagreements).

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2021, 11:58:25 PM »
Maybe I didn't read it will enough, but I thought you were saying it wasn't a comparison to what Trump did.

I'm taking about the various members of Congress to pushed to object initially.

Of course Cruz didn't think it would change the result. But he would've been such to read the room so to speak, and put aside the symbolic gesture. Don't know if that applies to all of the planned objectors, but I imagine it covers most at least. Trump on the other hand is a whole separate mess, and I think there's a during probably he thought he would somehow find a way to stay in power through all his machinations.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2021, 11:59:55 PM »
"The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors."

While there are those that argue that it doesn't have to be an actual crime, even they would agree that there has to be some misdeed (not political disagreements).
Correct, and few think the Ukraine call wasn't a misdeed.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2021, 12:00:20 AM »
Don't eat that cake. I'll be right over.
HMU after you get vaccinated  ;D

Online YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2021, 12:02:12 AM »

Déjà vu all over again

Online YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2021, 12:02:43 AM »
HMU after you get vaccinated  ;D
Your inciting me to commit age fraud...

Online zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2021, 12:07:14 AM »
So in your opinion, whenever they want, Congress can decide which presidents they like, which they don't, and remove the President accordingly?

Are you admiting that you were wrong when you said that Congress can remove any president they don't like?

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2021, 12:07:36 AM »
So when you can't prove your point
Lol.

Last I checked the constitution said a president can be removed for "Treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors."

You can argue what constitutes "high crimes and misdemeanors," but the idea that "100%" "Congress can decide which presidents they like, which they don't, and remove the President accordingly" is ridiculous.  (and the 2/3 is a safeguard against exactly this.)

you resort to attacking my competency.
Are you denying that? Do you really think you're capable of looking at anything DJT related with any semblance of objectivity?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2021, 12:08:55 AM »
Are you admiting that you were wrong when you said that Congress can remove any president they don't like?
Yes. You should try it sometimes, it isn't difficult.

Online zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2021, 12:10:36 AM »
Yes.

So why did you reference the Ukraine call in a conversation about whether Congress can remove a president just because they don't like him?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2021, 12:14:11 AM »
Lol.

Last I checked the constitution said a president can be removed for "Treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors."

You can argue what constitutes "high crimes and misdemeanors," but the idea that "100%" "Congress can decide which presidents they like, which they don't, and remove the President accordingly" is ridiculous.  (and the 2/3 is a safeguard against exactly this.)

Are you denying that? Do you really think you're capable of looking at anything DJT related with any semblance of objectivity?
Pretty much anything a president does can be construed as abuse of power, so the bar is pretty low, even though I used the wrong terminology.

I think my bias is actually far lower than your bias, but I never attacked your bias, I articulated my arguments.

So why did you reference the Ukraine call in a conversation about whether Congress can remove a president just because they don't like him?
Because the discussion was about the impeachment of Trump which cited misdeeds in the Ukraine call.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2021, 12:15:06 AM »
Your inciting me to commit age fraud...
It will be worth it.