Author Topic: Twitter bans sitting President  (Read 38422 times)

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Shaya E

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Twitter bans sitting President
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2021, 08:25:46 PM »
You people do realize that the company isn't affected in any way by their stock price dropping, right?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline ShimshonK

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile

Offline ShimshonK

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2021, 09:27:30 PM »
Can anybody do a copy/paste please?
The whole article? Here you go.
It is rare a that a public company stretches so far into the realm of abhorrent behavior, but Twitter's TWTR actions last week revulsed me more than Union Carbide’s Bhopal, Boeing's BA repeated failures with the 787 Max, J&J’s JILL Tylenol scandal and really any other corporate action I have seen in my lifetime.

For a social media platform to censor a world leader—while still giving a voice to preachers of hate like Louis Farrakhan Iran's Ayatollah Khamenei and even O.J. Simpson—isn’t just wrong from a free speech perspective, it's actually terrible business.  So, Twitter has shown little to no sequential growth in its user base of late (details below) but it is still valued like its Big Tech growth-y brethren.  Twitter is not growing, it is shrinking, if measured versus the growth rate of the global economy, and that reduction will accelerate dramatically now that Twitter has offended every Conservative in America with its action to ban President Trump. Only fools in Congress and Big Tech apologists would think that Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act should apply to Twitter.  It is a publisher, not a platform.  Full stop.

So, first and foremost, here is how to deactivate your Twitter account.  I used this excellent article from the Today show last week to kill my account.  It took me more than half an hour, and making it difficult to leave is a classic Big Tech strategy for bolstering user numbers, but eventually I succeeded.  It was worth it.  I will never use that platform again. 

But I do stocks, not activism, and even if a new type of conscious capitalism is my investment strategy for 2021, I still need to make some money. Twitter shares are plunging 7% in pre-market trading Monday, and the market will soon realize that this platform is going to shrink dramatically.  Even on a good day, Twitter is a cesspool of hate speech, lies (including investment advice) and a “trending" algorithm that seems to have a remarkably consistent left-wing bias. I will not be the last person to cancel it.

I have never interacted with an ad on Twitter (or Facebook) and I would never spend a dime with a company that tried to reach me through a private social media channel. I don't do “cancel culture” but I believe Twitter will become radioactive for advertisers, as half the US is revolted by what they have done, and that’s not good for business.

Twitter's self-reported user base grew at a whopping 1% sequentially in 3Q20, with 1% growth internationally and 0% in the U.S.  The comparisons were much better on a year-on-year basis (+29% overall) but remember that 2020 was an extraordinary year for news flow.  But Twitter is not news.  I think that Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey is a pathological liar as well as a horrible human being, so I don't  believe Twitter’s user numbers at all.  The mDAU metric that Twitter now uses reflects, and clearly they will keep changing metrics until they find one that looks decent.  This is a classic Big Tech maneuver. 

In dollars, though, Twitter generated $936 million (million, not billion, this is a small company) in revenues in the third quarter and produced a very low (for Big Tech) 6% operating margin and 3% net margin. So, after a whopping $1 billion loss in Q2, Twitter recovered to make $28 million in the third quarter.  Wow!  That’s just...irrelevant.

With negative free cash flow of $74 million in Q3,  but $7.6 billion of cash and securities on the balance sheet, Twitter is worth more than zero, but extraordinarily less than the $51.48 per share the market was according TWTR stock Friday.  Yes, we have completely forgotten how to value stocks.  Twitter is not the only one but it is the easy one.

With earnings power of less than $1 billion (TWTR reported net income of $1.469 billion in 2019 and will be nowhere near that in 2020) I think this is a steady-state stock.  No growth, no dividend, and no free cash flow to speak of.  That doesn't deserve even a market multiple, but since it’s tech, let’s give TWTR the insane 25x real earnings power that the S&P 500 is granted.  So, add about $5 billion cash (net of debt,) a real cash earnings power of about $750 annually and use the 800 million shares outstanding as of 9/30 and you get a fair value for Twitter of just below $30 per share. But Twitter's user base has shrunk dramatically in the past week, I believe, and so $30 is really more of a best-case scenario on earnings power that won't exist with a smaller user base. 

So, let’s say someone thought TWTR's fair value was in the high-$20s and would pay $20 for TWTR, to imply an attractive return, and use that as our share price target,  That implies a decline of more than 50% from current levels.  How long will it take to get there?  Not long in my opinion.  Plus, when trading options, you have to take into account the overreaction that always occurs with an inflective event.  Do I think Twitter shares will trade below $20, at least temporarily at some point between now and the end of March?  Hell, yeah.

So, when searching for that perfect option contract, always look for one with a decent amount of  contracts outstanding (which implies a more efficiently-priced contract) and a relatively low implied volatility, I see March 19th 2021 TWTR $25 puts quoted at $0.13 this morning, and, man, I gotta get me some of that.  Pre-market quotes are notoriously unreliable for deep-out-of-the-money options contracts, so let the market open and let it trade a little before you buy,  That's what I will do today for my personal account and for my most risk-aware clients. 

So, that’s how to make money betting against Twitter.  The new conscious capitalism of 2021 entails fighting Big Tech censorship and the monopolistic power that those companies wield.  Not only is Jack Dorsey at Twitter a revolting human stain (as proven by this Congressional testimony and takedown by Senator Ted Cruz) his company isn't that big or growing that fast—and is about to shrink.  I am uncomfortable sometimes with Amazon's AMZN power, but I won't be unsubscribing from Prime any time soon, and I don't have the guts to bet against Jeff Bezos' stock. But Dorsey is not Bezos and TWTR is no AMZN. 

Twitter is a faux-tech outfit with no competitive moat and a customer base filled with—it would seem—idiots.  It’s too small to be considered Big Tech, but the media has given it outsized influence.   Only you and I can fight that war and destroy Twitter's base.  So, delete your account, and short the stock.  Making money while doing the right thing feels extra good...doesn't it?

Follow me on Twitter or LinkedIn. Check out my website.
Jim Collins

Offline chinagel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2021, 01:12:03 PM »

Offline ShimshonK

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2021, 04:43:11 PM »
LOL
To be fair to him, it was clearly a mistake because his account is actually deleted. But funny none the less :)

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2021, 07:58:12 PM »
Who said the following and when?

"Access to information and freedom of expression, including the public conversation on Twitter, is never more important than during democratic processes, particularly elections."

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2021, 08:59:16 PM »

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2021, 04:30:23 AM »
You can’t make this c*** up.

https://twitter.com/Policy/status/1349059278917824512

I'm actually in Uganda now. You have no idea what's going on.

I'll post more from Ethiopia in a few hours lol.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2021, 06:41:46 AM »
The censorship continues

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2021, 09:09:11 AM »
The censorship continues

A seven day suspension does not sound unreasonable
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2021, 09:21:52 AM »
A seven day suspension does not sound unreasonable
What was it for? Permanent cancellation isn't necessarily unreasonable either, it all just depends on the reason

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2021, 11:40:41 AM »
I'm actually in Uganda now. You have no idea what's going on.

I'll post more from Ethiopia in a few hours lol.

So basically the president shut down all social media in Uganda, so TW/FB/et al retaliated by locking a bunch of gov and officials' accounts. Then the gov went ahead and effectively shut down the country's main cell phone provider by throttling them so much as to render the network unusable.

There might be more, but this is what I'm hearing from people I'm meeting here. They're basically expecting bloodshed this week.

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2021, 12:18:17 PM »
So basically the president shut down all social media in Uganda, so TW/FB/et al retaliated by locking a bunch of gov and officials' accounts.

Were the shutdowns before they locked account or after? (Or were some before and more after?)

I thought I read that the Govt. shutdowns were because some accounts were blocked.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2021, 12:23:08 PM »
I thought I read that the Govt. shutdowns were because some accounts were blocked.

That's opposite of what people are saying here (doesn't mean they're right of course)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2021, 12:41:55 PM »
Either way, it's evidence of the incredible power the tech companies wield. We should think long and hard how to reign that in.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים