Author Topic: R.I.P. Freedom  (Read 10144 times)

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Re: R.I.P. Freedom
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2021, 08:40:36 PM »
It is illegal in the US to have a monopoly on any industry.

{citation needed}

Offline yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2021, 08:49:51 PM »
{citation needed}
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_antitrust_law
Every person who shall monopolize, or attempt to monopolize, or combine or conspire with any other person or persons, to monopolize any part of the trade or commerce among the several States, or with foreign nations, shall be deemed guilty of a felony, and, on conviction thereof, shall be punished by fine not exceeding $100,000,000 if a corporation, or, if any other person, $1,000,000, or by imprisonment not exceeding 10 years, or by both said punishments, in the discretion of the court.
—Sherman Act 1890 §2
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 08:56:07 PM by yungermanchik »
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2021, 09:05:13 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_antitrust_law
Quote from: aforementioned Wikipedia page date=1610329791
The courts have interpreted this to mean that monopoly is not unlawful per se, but only if acquired through prohibited conduct. [...]
First, the alleged monopolist must possess sufficient power in an accurately defined market for its products or services. Second, the monopolist must have used its power in a prohibited way. The categories of prohibited conduct are not closed, and are contested in theory. Historically they have been held to include exclusive dealing, price discrimination, refusing to supply an essential facility, product tying and predatory pricing.

There's definitely a case, but not open and shut by any means

Offline yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2021, 09:19:20 PM »
There's definitely a case, but not open and shut by any means
how about this part?
Group boycotts of competitors, customers or distributors
Fashion Originators' Guild of America v. FTC, 312 U.S. 457 (1941) the FOGA, a combination of clothes designers, agreed not to sell their clothes to shops which stocked replicas of their designs, and employed their own inspectors. Held to violate the Sherman Act §1
Klor's, Inc. v. Broadway-Hale Stores, Inc., 359 U.S. 207 (1959) a group boycott is per se unlawful, even if it may be connected with a private dispute, and will have little effect upon the markets
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2021, 09:25:48 PM »
https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/status/1348357283705712641

https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/status/1348357856391790594
I'm really surprised to see that Candace Owens reads DDF.

I would not be surprised if Elon Musk opens a big tech company right now and ends up being Google's biggest competitor.

Anyone know her username?

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2021, 09:27:18 PM »
how about this part?

IANAL, I don't think this is a case of companies conspiring together.

Offline 123-Rosh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2021, 09:46:16 PM »
https://twitter.com/PoAmBrotherhood/status/1348364665626251267

This is what we're up against. The country is screwed.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2021, 01:00:55 PM »
That's not what the article says, but keep on trying to make a story where there isn't one. 3 companies said they wouldn't give to those who voted against accepting the votes, and between the three of them they gave less than $20k to those candidates this past cycle.

The rest said they are either suspending all donations (to Democrats and Republicans) or that they are "examining" their policy regarding who to give (which is a nice way to brush off the reporter without getting anyone angry at them).
Next chapter in 'trying to make' a trend of companies 'silencing' Republican seditionists, now from a company that gives $1m+ per election cycle

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/533630-dow-chemical-wont-donate-to-politicians-who-opposed-election-results

https://twitter.com/juddlegum/status/1348656675599822855?s=21

Between the natural demographics, Anti-Trump movement,  DC/PR statehood, & amnesty for immigrants, unless Biden screws up really badly the Republican Party is likely to disappear like the Whig Party did in 1850s when it's base splinters over slaves.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2021, 01:18:01 PM »
the Republican Party is likely to disappear
;D

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2021, 01:27:00 PM »

Between the natural demographics, Anti-Trump movement,  DC/PR statehood, & amnesty for immigrants, unless Biden screws up really badly the Republican Party is likely to disappear like the Whig Party did in 1850s when it's base splinters over slaves.

Funny how with the most unpopular candidate imaginable and an incessant white Supremacist narrative the GOP still gained votes in African American, Latino, and other minority communities. It is almost as if people can think for themselves and have values and goals that differ from the boxes you want to put them in

Offline 123-Rosh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2021, 01:36:53 PM »
Trump got more minority votes than any Republican in modern history.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2021, 02:03:31 PM »
Funny how with the most unpopular candidate imaginable and an incessant white Supremacist narrative the GOP still gained votes in African American, Latino, and other minority communities. It is almost as if people can think for themselves and have values and goals that differ from the boxes you want to put them in
I didn't deny that, but it's still wasn't enough to win and only getting worse.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Shaya E

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2021, 02:11:27 PM »

Biden was a throwback Democratic candidate. He was someone who specifically appealed to the old school Democrat voter. " Scrappy Joe" and all that. He was nominated to rebuild the blue wall and bring back its working class base. IMO the majority of the future Democratic candidates will be Obama-esque candidates who should appeal to the minority base. Don't be distracted by one election. The Democratic party is building a base in minorities and losing lots of their traditional working class voters. Much the same as the Republican party is losing suburban voters while gaining working class voters.

Offline Shaya E

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2021, 02:14:26 PM »

I'm not putting people into boxes. But analyzing voter patterns is just science. I wouldn't expect any individual to vote based on my science, but the patterns arw still there.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2021, 02:16:21 PM »
Much the same as the Republican party is losing suburban voters while gaining working class voters.
I wonder if they'll manage to maintain that post-Trump and especially when many of them will be angry over betrayal of Trump.

I'm not putting people into boxes. But analyzing voter patterns is just science. I wouldn't expect any individual to vote based on my science, but the patterns arw still there.
Very true

Offline Shaya E

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2021, 02:18:00 PM »
Biden was a throwback Democratic candidate. He was someone who specifically appealed to the old school Democrat voter. " Scrappy Joe" and all that. He was nominated to rebuild the blue wall and bring back its working class base. IMO the majority of the future Democratic candidates will be Obama-esque candidates who should appeal to the minority base. Don't be distracted by one election. The Democratic party is building a base in minorities and losing lots of their traditional working class voters. Much the same as the Republican party is losing suburban voters while gaining working class voters.

Biden is literally an old white male politician. He isn't the candidate firing up minorities. Nor was he meant to be. That being said, I do think the Democratic party overestimated the minority dislike for Trump, which is why they didn't care for a candidate that would involve them or even to campaign for them. That is why the election was much closer than they expected.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2021, 02:58:59 PM »
Biden is literally an old white male politician. He isn't the candidate firing up minorities. Nor was he meant to be. That being said, I do think the Democratic party overestimated the minority dislike for Trump, which is why they didn't care for a candidate that would involve them or even to campaign for them. That is why the election was much closer than they expected.
Agreed. The problem is when they cater to the minorities, it can turn off moderates and independents. A progressive party by definition will have a far broader spectrum of opinions that a Conservative party where everybody pretty much agrees to keep things as they are

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2021, 03:02:06 PM »
https://www.state.gov/people/donald-j-trump/

Donald J. Trump's term ended on 2021-01-11 19:40:41

Hack? Resigning?

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2021, 03:03:28 PM »