Poll

Will you continue to use WhatsApp as your main mode of communications?

I don’t use WhatsApp
I will switch to texting.
I will switch to Telegram.
I will continue to use WhatsApp.
I will only switch to a different platform if my contacts switch too.
I will switch to Signal.

Author Topic: Will you continue to use WhatsApp after Feb. 8th?  (Read 5361 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Will you continue to use WhatsApp after Feb. 8th?
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2021, 03:02:57 AM »
FTT. In regards to your cute comment about Telegram being from Russia,I said it was banned in Russia, and in fact it was banned for years. They tried enforcing the ban, and knocked down the app, but Telegram managed to skirt the restrictions to the point that Russia gave up. To you, this means Telegram is “muh Russia” collusion, because Russia.

Re: Iran - supposedly Telegram was/is making up 60% of the total internet traffic in Iran. WhatsApp isn’t banned because of its popularity :)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telegram_in_Iran
You’re 100% right about Iran, but I still don’t understand why you’d be more comfortable with Russian founders having access to your data just because they appear to have stood up to the Russian government before ultimately agreeing to supply information, than Whatsapp which is a fairly transparent American company where whistleblowers can publicize any wrong-doing and it is easy to enforce judgments against them if it comes to it.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2021, 03:10:33 AM »
You’re 100% right about Iran, but I still don’t understand why you’d be more comfortable with Russian founders having access to your data just because they appear to have stood up to the Russian government before ultimately agreeing to supply information, than Whatsapp which is a fairly transparent American company where whistleblowers can publicize any wrong-doing and it is easy to enforce judgments against them if it comes to it.
Take a look at twitter how far did those whistleblowers get you?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2021, 03:13:57 AM »
Take a look at twitter how far did those whistleblowers get you?
Twitter did nothing illegal. What do you think Whatsapp will do that Telegram won’t?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2021, 03:16:10 AM »
Twitter did nothing illegal.
Therein lies the problem..
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2021, 03:22:21 AM »

Telegram doesn’t have access to my data. Facebook has access to all my data and doesn’t hide it, but that’s fine? Just look at the actions of the companies and the authoritarian countries. Why do you need whistle blowers in the US? Apple said that it complied with 96% of China’s petitions for account information. This was disclosed by Apple itself. WhatsApp operates freely in Iran and Russia. Telegram constantly gets banned from authoritarian countries because it can’t be controlled. If Iran and China are uncomfortable with Telegram, that makes me more comfortable using it.

Apple, Google, Facebook aren’t doing anything wrong. They’re literally doing what they say they would be doing when we clicked accept on the 428 pages of T&Cs. And that’s fine legally, but there’s still literally zero reason to trust them with my info. Oh, and they’re also a bunch of money-grabbing hypocritical power hungry bastards.

Visibly Jewish

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Shaya E

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2021, 10:11:12 AM »
Telegram doesn’t have access to my data. Facebook has access to all my data and doesn’t hide it, but that’s fine? Just look at the actions of the companies and the authoritarian countries. Why do you need whistle blowers in the US? Apple said that it complied with 96% of China’s petitions for account information. This was disclosed by Apple itself. WhatsApp operates freely in Iran and Russia. Telegram constantly gets banned from authoritarian countries because it can’t be controlled. If Iran and China are uncomfortable with Telegram, that makes me more comfortable using it.

Apple, Google, Facebook aren’t doing anything wrong. They’re literally doing what they say they would be doing when we clicked accept on the 428 pages of T&Cs. And that’s fine legally, but there’s still literally zero reason to trust them with my info. Oh, and they’re also a bunch of money-grabbing hypocritical power hungry bastards.

I typically value convenience over my privacy and will continue to use whatever is more convenient. That being said, every word in this post is accurate.

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2021, 10:29:05 AM »
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2021, 06:53:41 PM »
Telegram surpassed 500 million active users. In the past 72 hours alone, more than 25 million new users from around the world joined Telegram.

Offline Shaya E

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2021, 07:16:13 PM »
Telegram surpassed 500 million active users. In the past 72 hours alone, more than 25 million new users from around the world joined Telegram.
This probably has at least as much to do with the Parler problems as the WhatsApp update.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2021, 07:41:55 PM »
This probably has at least as much to do with the Parler problems as the WhatsApp update.

I’ve been meaning to post here for a while (wasn’t sure where) that the two are related. They’re both a sign that Twitter feels more confidence/brazenness with the switch from R to D
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2021, 08:02:34 PM »
I’ve been meaning to post here for a while (wasn’t sure where) that the two are related. They’re both a sign that Twitter feels more confidence/brazenness with the switch from R to D
+1
Not to mention countless other stuff coming together at once.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2021, 02:00:03 AM »
In regards to your cute comment about Telegram being from Russia
Deputy Ambassador of Russia to the UN:

https://twitter.com/Dpol_un/status/1347222517048553473?s=20

I use Telegram and am willing to risk big tech or Russia having my data, but it is interesting how easily people denounce every story in China saying we can't trust a word they say, yet readily accept anything a company with Russian founders tells them about their data and alleged legal fights with Russia. Perhaps if they go ahead with the $1b fundraise more reliable facts will emerge.

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2021, 02:54:07 AM »
Deputy Ambassador of Russia to the UN:

https://twitter.com/Dpol_un/status/1347222517048553473?s=20

I use Telegram and am willing to risk big tech or Russia having my data, but it is interesting how easily people denounce every story in China saying we can't trust a word they say, yet readily accept anything a company with Russian founders tells them about their data and alleged legal fights with Russia. Perhaps if they go ahead with the $1b fundraise more reliable facts will emerge.
It's impossible to be 100% certain of anything, but do some research. IMO Telegram is more likely to shut down before any government gets any data.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2021, 02:58:21 AM »
It's impossible to be 100% certain of anything, but do some research. IMO Telegram is more likely to shut down before any government gets any data.
I agree they are unlikely to honor subpoenas, I just wouldn’t laugh off the ‘Russian’ tag as being untrue. I’m not saying it should be consequential, I for one don’t really care.

Offline aradisc

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2021, 11:16:28 AM »

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1349353285648609281

Offline etech0

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2021, 01:58:07 PM »
Ordering a Pizza in 2022

CALLER:
    Is this Pizza Hut?

GOOGLE:   
No sir, it's Google Pizza.

CALLER: 
I must have dialed a wrong number, sorry.

GOOGLE: 
No sir, Google bought Pizza Hut last month.

CALLER: 
OK. I would like to order a pizza.

GOOGLE: 
Do you want your usual, sir?

CALLER:
My usual? You know me?

GOOGLE:
According to our caller ID data sheet, the last 12 times you called you ordered an extra-large pizza with three cheeses, sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms and meatballs on a thick crust.

CALLER: 
Super! That’s what I’ll have.

GOOGLE:
May I suggest that this time you order a pizza with ricotta, arugula, sun-dried tomatoes and olives on a whole wheat gluten-free thin crust?

CALLER: 
What? I don’t want a vegetarian pizza!

GOOGLE: 
Your cholesterol is not good, sir.

CALLER: 
How the hell do you know that?

GOOGLE:
Well, we cross-referenced your home phone number with your medical records. We have the result of your blood tests for the last 7 years.

CALLER:
Okay, but I do not want your rotten vegetarian pizza!  I already take medication for my cholesterol.

GOOGLE:
Excuse me sir, but you have not taken your medication regularly.  According to our database, you purchased only a box of 30 cholesterol tablets once at Lloyds Pharmacy, 4 months ago.

CALLER: 
I bought more from another Pharmacy.

GOOGLE: 
That doesn’t show on your credit card statement.

CALLER:
I paid in cash.

GOOGLE: 
But you did not withdraw enough cash according to your bank statement.

CALLER: 
I have other sources of cash.

GOOGLE:
That doesn’t show on your latest tax returns, unless you bought them using an undeclared income source, which is against the law!

CALLER:   
WHAT THE HELL!

GOOGLE: 
I'm sorry sir, we use such information only with the sole intention of helping you.

CALLER: 
Enough already!  I'm sick to death of Google, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and all the others.  I'm going to an island without the internet, TV, where there is no phone service and no one to watch me or spy on me.

GOOGLE:     
I understand sir, but you need to renew your passport first. It expired 6 weeks ago...

Welcome to the future
... and now they have your fitbit data
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2021, 02:01:43 PM »
... and now they have your fitbit data
Claiming the DOJ never got back to them before the deadline  ;D

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2021, 02:52:53 PM »
WhatsApp is delaying the roll out of new business features following user backlash over the company's data sharing practices.

The delay is a setback for WhatsApp's plan to generate revenue by facilitating commercial exchanges on the messaging app, which Facebook acquired for $19 billion in 2014 but has been slow to monetize.

WhatsApp said on Friday users will no longer have to review and accept its updated terms by Feb. 8, nor will they have their accounts suspended or deleted by that date.

Since 2016, WhatsApp has shared certain information with Facebook, including your phone number, unless you were one of the select few users who chose to opt out of data sharing while the option was still available that year. WhatsApp does not, however, look at people’s chat messages or listen to their phone calls, and WhatsApp conversations are end-to-end encrypted to protect against those abuses.